These decadent but still healthful tahini brownies are made with a rich dark chocolate and a creamy tahini base to create an exciting new twist on a classic brownie recipe. You’ll wonder why you never thought to mix tahini with brownies before!
I’d like to take a moment to thank my Mom for being the brains behind these brownies. She gets 100% credit for the idea, which I never would have thought of on my own but made perfect sense to be the second she suggested it.
Over the years, my Mom has proven to be the ultimate THM fan. She’s actually outdone my Dad who held the title for 2 years running. She’s become a social media aficionado just to keep up and I’m pretty sure is sitting at home right now watching my YouTube videos over and over. She’s also my #1 PR lady and I’m fairly certain she’s single-handedly responsible for my entire Toronto readership.
Perhaps more importantly, when I lived in Toronto, she always kept my kitchen stocked-full of Costco sized goods like coconut oil and tahini. Without her, I think it’s fair to say these brownies and maybe even the blog would not be possible.
So Mom, these Tahini Brownies are dedicated to YOU. For being the ultimate THM supporter and the best Mom. Thank you for introducing me to the world of food!
Watch me whip up these Tahini Brownies over on YouTube!
While tahini may sound intimidating or fancy, it’s actually just ground sesame seeds! A seed butter if you will. It has a mild nutty flavor that is honestly one of my favorite ingredients. I love it in energy balls, baked goods, smoothies and savory dressings. You can find it by the other nut and seed butters in your local grocery store!
It is high in protein, fiber and minerals – aka it adds a nutritional punch to any recipe… including brownies.
Here’s What You Need:
- cocoa powder – specifically dutch-processed cocoa powder as it reacts differently during baking!
- oat flour – if you don’t have any on hand you can also make your own by grinding oats in a food processor or blender. Note: regular flour can also be used here.
- baking powder
- sea salt
- coconut oil
- coconut sugar – brown sugar works too.
- 70% dark chocolate
- vanilla extract
Take Them to the Next Level…
These brownies are 100% customizable. Do you love a little extra crunch in your brownies? Add nuts. A double chocolate lover? Add in chocolate chips or chocolate chunks. If you like the combination of fruit and chocolate, adding some dried cherries or other dried fruit would be delicious! You really can’t go wrong.Print
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 16 brownies 1x
- 1/4 cup Green and Black’s dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 150 grams of Green and Black’s Organic 70% chocolate
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For swirl:
- 1/4 cup tahini
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl whisk together cocoa powder, oat flour baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- In a large heatproof bowl, combine coconut oil, coconut sugar and chocolate.
- Place bowl over (but not touching) simmering water to create a double-boiler.
- Heat up over medium heat, stirring often, until melted and mixture is smooth.
- Remove bowl from heat and whisk in tahini.
- Whisk in eggs, banana and vanilla.
- Mix in cocoa powder mixture.
- Transfer batter to baking pan ensuring top is smooth.
- Add 9 dollops of tahini over mixture.
- Using a butter knife, create swirls to make pattern along the top. See video above for further instructions.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until desired texture is reached. 25 minutes makes a fudgier brownie, leave for 5 more minutes for something more cakey.
- Allow brownies to cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting into 16 squares and removing from pan.
Like this recipe? Here are others you might enjoy:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!