Healthy Chickpea Blondies made from everybody’s favourite bean! They’re gluten-free, high in protein and sweetened with just a bit of maple syrup. No one will guess that they’re made from chickpeas! Trust us…we’ve put them to the test!
This recipe for Chickpea Blondies was created 100% for me, which is exactly how it was when I started the blog. I just wanted to experiment in my own kitchen and see what happened. Of course I’m thrilled that people actually read and make what I share, but I’m learning that unless I’m making myself happy first, what I’m doing will not be sustainable. I know…what a novel concept! Chickpea blondies or not!
So I know you may be skeptical of a dessert made from chickpeas but trust me when I say they are GOOD! I tested them on C and my daughter and both wolfed them down. Clearly the taste is a real winner!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Canned chickpeas – Make sure they are rinsed and drained. This recipe requires about 1 1/2 x 14 oz cans.
- Nut butter – I like almond butter for a more traditional “blondie” taste but peanut butter or other nut butters work too. Use sunflower seed butter if allergic to nuts.
- Maple syrup – for sweetness. You can also replace with honey.
- Vanilla extract – for taste!
- Rolled oats – whole rolled oats or quick cook oats work fine. You can also use oat flour as it’s all getting ground up anyway in a food processor.
- baking soda – for rising.
- Sea salt – skip if you’re watching sodium but I find it really heightens the flavors.
- Egg – this helps to hold everything together. You can try using a flax egg to keep them vegan but note that I haven’t tried it myself.
- Chocolate chips or chunks – Don’t skip as they give them a more blondie-like flavor!
Why Use Chickpeas for Baking?
In recent years, beans have become a popular substitute in baking recipes and treats. These chickpea blondies are no exception. For blondies, chickpeas or white beans are a great swap. For brownies, opt for black beans.
Chickpeas are an amazing source of protein and fiber. They also make a great swap for flour if you’re looking for a more nutritious substitute. Don’t knock it til you try it!
Can you use white beans instead of chickpeas? Absolutely! Just swap 1:1 for chickpeas to maintain the same texture. Note: rinsing and then drain through a colander as you would with chickpeas.
How to Make Chickpea Blondies
STEP 1: PROCESS WET INGREDIENTS (EXCEPT EGG)
In a food processor combine chickpeas, nut butter, maple syrup and vanilla.
STEP 2: ADD IN DRY INGREDIENTS + EGG
Add in oats, baking soda, sea salt and egg. Process until batter comes together smoothly. Should take 1-2 mins.
STEP 3: ADD CHOCOLATE CHIPS
Stir in chocolate chips.
STEP 4: ADD TO PAN + BAKE
Spread batter into prepared baking dish, ensuring that top is flat for an even layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Test using a toothpick to ensure center is cooked through. Let cool for 20 mins before cutting into 12 blondies and removing from pan. Allow to cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
How to Store Chickpea Blondies
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Like this recipe? Here are a few others you might enjoy:
- Chickpea cookie dough
- Raw Nutella Bars
- Vegan Pumpkin Blondies
- Sweet Potato Swirl Brownies
- No-Bake Mint Chocolate Bars
- Healthy Avocado Brownies
Chickpea Blondies made from everybody’s favourite bean! They’re gluten-free, high in protein and sweetened with just a bit of maple syrup. No one will guess that they’re made from chickpeas! Trust us…we’ve put them to the test!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 blondies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 cups of canned chickpeas*, strained + rinsed
- 1/4 cup nut butter (peanut butter, almond butter or cashew butter are all great!)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (or chunks)
- Coconut oil, for greasing pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with coconut oil or line with parchment paper.
- In a food processor combine chickpeas, nut butter, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add in oats, baking soda, sea salt and egg. Process until batter comes together smoothly. Should take 1-2 mins.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread batter into baking pan, ensuring that top is flat.
- Bake for 20-25 mins or until golden brown around the edges. Test using a toothpick to ensure center is cooked through.
- Let cool for 20 mins before cutting into 12 blondies and removing from pan.
- Will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
*This will be about 1 1/2 cans (14 oz)
Keywords: chickpea blondies
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!