These No-Bake Mint Chocolate Protein Bars are made with just 7 ingredients and in just 20 minutes! No need to turn your oven on or spend hours slaving in the kitchen to make the ultimate on-the-go snack.
Do you ever get flashbacks with recipes? This recipe brings me right back to when I was still living with my parents and my siblings stole all of the treats I made. I love that this recipe has stood the test of time and I still make (and crave!) them today.
The world seems to go crazy over protein balls and energy bites but I don’t see many people make their own protein bars. That changes today! I promise this recipe is just as easy as energy balls… maybe even easier because you don’t have to roll out 32859 balls.
Why Protein Bars?
In my past life, I would have thought protein bars were what bodybuilders and extreme weightlifters needed and ate. That is so not the case! Everybody needs protein… Protein helps with bone health, boosts your metabolism, and helps your body repair after a workout or injury. I don’t think we necessarily need to look to add more protein to our diet but making sure you have a little bit of protein with every snack and meal is a good goal! Which is where these chocolate protein bars come in. They taste amazing and are a balanced snack that you can enjoy any time of day! Plus, you can’t beat the flavor combination of chocolate and mint… so good!
RELATED: No-Bake Protein Oatmeal Energy Balls
- nuts – I used cashews and almonds
- protein powder (whey or plant-based works great)
- cocoa powder
- peppermint extract
- almond milk
- sea salt
How to Make the Best Protein Bar
You need two kitchen supplies to make these bars: a food processor and a baking pan. Start by pulsing the dates in a food process until they’re chopped up into pieces the size of a pea. Add in the nuts and process until the mixture is finely ground. Add in the rest of the ingredients and process until a sticky ball is formed.
Place the bar mixture into a baking dish lined with parchment paper and flatten using your hands. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes to allow the bars to set a bit. Remove from the freezer, cut into 12 bars and store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.Print
No-Bake Mint Chocolate Protein Bars
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 Bars 1x
- 1 cup of dates
- 1 cup of nuts (I used 1/2 cup cashews and 1/2 cup of almonds)
- 3/4 cup protein powder (I used Vega One French Vanilla but whey protein works too)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 tbsp almond milk (if using whey protein, you will need to use slightly more)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Place dates in food processor and process until pea-like consistency is reached.
- Add in nuts and continue processing until dates and nuts are finely ground.
- Add in protein powder, cocoa powder, salt, peppermint extract and almond milk and process until a well-combined sticky ball is formed.
- Take a 9 x 9 inch baking dish and line with plastic wrap.
- Place bar mixture into dish and flatten, making sure the top is even.
- Place in freezer for at least 15 mins.
- Remove from freezer and lift plastic wrap out of dish.
- Cut into 12 bars.
- Store in fridge or freezer.
*edited: the original recipe used 1/2 cup puffed cereal (I used puffed millet but puffed rice or amaranth works) stirred in at the end. The recipe works with or without it.
Like this recipe? Here are some you might also enjoy:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!