appetizers gluten-free paleo sides vegan vegetarian

Loaded Guacamole Sweet Potato Fries

January 26, 2016

Change it up next game day with these Loaded Guacamole Sweet Potato Fries. Mexican meets healthy in this vibrant and delicious game day or appetizer recipe! You’ll never go back to regular ole’ sweet potato fries…

Change it up next game day with these Loaded Guacamole Sweet Potato Fries. Mexican meets healthy in this vibrant and delicious game day or appetizer recipe!If you caught my post last week, you know that I spent the first part of January at an amazing fitness and wellness resort in Malibu. If the post didn’t make it abundantly clear, I had an amazing time and it was the perfect way to kick off a New Year with a healthy refocus.

It was such a luxury to not be in the kitchen for a week and have a chef cooking all of our meals for us. I am incredibly grateful for the experience and was blown away by the meals they whipped up!

However, I’m also the type of person who likes having a degree of control over my meals. Me? A control freak in the kitchen? Whoda guessed it?

I’ll let that one sink in…

Change it up next game day with these Loaded Guacamole Sweet Potato Fries. Mexican meets healthy in this vibrant and delicious game day or appetizer recipe! You'll never go back to regular ole' sweet potato fries...By the end of the week at Wellfit I only had two things on my mind, sweet potatoes and avocados. I actually missed avocados so much that I ordered the vegetarian option 4 times just because I knew it was a veggie burger that came with avocado. That’s commitment right there.

Since getting home from Wellfit, I’ve certainly made up for the fact that I was deprived of 2/3 of my favorite foods for the week (I got some cauliflower in there, don’t worry!) by eating an excessive amount of both. So much so that I just started mixing them together, which was when I discovered the glory that is sweet potato fries + guacamole.

HOLY GUACAMOLE where have these loaded guacamole sweet potato fries been all of my life?!

Change it up next game day with these Loaded Guacamole Sweet Potato Fries. Mexican meets healthy in this vibrant and delicious game day or appetizer recipe! You'll never go back to regular ole' sweet potato fries...Then the other night we hosted a couple of friends for “Latin-Night” aka a throwback to last year’s trip to Costa Rica. As part of this delicious affair, I whipped up my Best Ever Pico de Gallo, which then sparked the idea of adding this to the sweet potato-guacamole mix.

It also meant that I could refer to this dish as “loaded”, which makes me laugh every time because all I can think of is “Herbie Fully Loaded”, a true Lindsay Lohan classic.

Having had this as a side dish with dinner 3 times now, I decided now would be the perfect time to post it since it seems like something one might eat while watching the SuperBowl. I don’t have the will-power to wait until February 7th to eat these again, nor do I particularly care about football. But now that Beyonce is playing the halftime show, you better bet I’ll be celebrating with this recipe. Who’s with me?!

Loaded Guacamole Sweet Potato Fries

PREP TIME 15 mins
Cook Time 25 mins

• 2 large sweet potatoes
  • 1 T chili powder
  • 1 T olive oil
  • Zest + juice of 1 lime

For the Guacamole

• 1 large avocado, from mexico!
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 3 green onions, chopped (whites and light green only)
  • 1 lime, zest and juice
  • 1/8 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt (or more, to taste)
  • 1/2 cup pico de gallo
  • optional: 1/4 cup cilantro

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Slice sweet potatoes thinly into fry shape.
  3. Coat fries with olive oil, chili powder and zest and juice of lime.
  4. Roast for 15 minutes before flipping over and roasting for another 12-15 mins (watch closely as you do not want them to burn)

For the Guacamole:

1. Mash avocado in a large bowl.
  2. Add garlic, green onions, lime juice and zest and cumin. Stir to combine.

For Serving:

1. Transfer fries to a large plate and drizzle with guacamole.
  2. Sprinkle with pico de gallo.

avos_logoDisclaimer: This post is sponsored by Avocados from Mexico – Canada. I’m so excited to continue our collaboration in 2016 as a Canadian Ambassador. Looking forward to bringing you more avotastic posts!

What foods do you miss while you’re away? Are you watching the Superbowl? What’s on the menu?

Hilary
    January 26, 2016 at 9:03 am

Yum! These look so good! I love how skinny you made the fries too, almost like shoe string fries, definitely made me crave some!

Alysia at Slim Sanity
    January 26, 2016 at 9:16 am

Sweet potatoes are definitely a food I crave after traveling! Really just homemade anything. 🙂

January 27, 2016 at 8:50 am

That too! I love travelling in places with a kitchen so I can change it up and cook at “home” on occasion!

Jen @ Pretty Little Grub
    January 26, 2016 at 9:35 am

These look amazing. I’ve been obsessed with sweet potato nachos lately and these are basically the same thing but in a different form. Any excuse to eat sweet potatoes and avocado is good in my books.
    Jen @ Pretty Little Grub recently posted…Live Fit Trainer Phase One Review

January 27, 2016 at 8:51 am

Yup! I’ll take it. Then again, I never really need an excuse to eat either hehe 😉

olivia
    January 26, 2016 at 10:20 am

I never comment, but I do read every. single. one. of your post. Your blog is one of the only ones I actually am subscribed to that i haven’t unsubscribed from in a few months. Your content varies enough and yet is always the same. Always so insightful and well put. Keep up the awesome work, you’re a fabulous blogger!!!!! And you’ve truly found your niche.

Okay i’ll go back to silently reading each post and really enjoying them=) Just thought I’d say something, cause this post rocked and I can’t wait to actually make these and serve them this way=)

January 27, 2016 at 8:53 am

Olivia!!! You totally just made my day. Thank you so much for commenting and letting me know you’re there reading. I absolutely love hearing from you guys and I’m so happy you enjoy the blog. Thank you for your amazing support. You’re awesome!

Kelly @ Eat the Gains
    January 26, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Yes! Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods too! I could literally eat them until my stomach hurts (which I have before haha). This sounds delicious for watching the games!
    Kelly @ Eat the Gains recently posted…Beet Ginger Hummus

January 27, 2016 at 8:49 am

Same here! And especially when paired with guac. I didn’t know full until I went overboard on these haha #noshame

January 26, 2016 at 1:14 pm

I love making homemade sweet potato fries/wedges! I end up eating a whole batch every time!
    Cassie recently posted…Thai Green Vegetable Curry (vegan + gluten free)

She Rocks Fitness
    January 26, 2016 at 6:14 pm

YES to sweet potatoes and all the avocados!! On my second night in a row for sweet potatoes…When I get a craving for them, I go all out…LOL! No plans for the Super Bowl and honestly just have not been that into it this year…PS: I have serious Hawaii on my brain and am crossing all fingers and toes that I win…XOXO
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…What The Single Woman Buys At Costco Part V

January 27, 2016 at 8:42 am

I feel you on the cravings! I have a feeling my next couple of days will be filled with them! Hawaii?! Did you mean Malibu?? California, Hawaii, basically the same thing hehe

Holly Waterfall
    January 26, 2016 at 6:27 pm

How have I never thought to pair sweet potato fries and guac?! This will definitely be changing in my very near future. I love the idea of loading a big plate of them up with all the goodies.
    Holly Waterfall recently posted…Red Hot Berry Protein Parfait

Lindsey Bomgren
    January 26, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Ok yum! This may have just inspired a superbowl app round-up with this being the main feature! For real!
    Lindsey Bomgren recently posted…5 ingredient bok choy shrimp stir fry {easy weeknight dinner}

Patricia @Sweet and Strong
    January 26, 2016 at 9:29 pm

These look amazing! I might not be able to wait till the Super Bowl to try them. I was thinking of making some buffalo chicken meatballs and taco dip for the game. And I definitely miss a lot of different foods when I’m traveling, but particularly my morning protein green smoothies, because I usually have one every morning after a workout.
    Patricia @Sweet and Strong recently posted…Snow Day Workout

January 27, 2016 at 8:37 am

I totally missed my morning smoothie too! Also you definitely don’t have to wait until the superbowl to eat these 😉

Fit Foodie Lee
    January 26, 2016 at 9:38 pm

DAT GIF. Seriously I missed sweet potato so much. Sweet potato and avocado, that is.

January 27, 2016 at 8:31 am

The look of sadness on my face when we snapchatted the foods we missed..

Emilie @ Emilie Eats
    January 26, 2016 at 10:58 pm

I LOVE dipping my sweet tater fries in guac. Ugh I want to eat a whole plate of these every day forever!! Also, GIF so on point.
    Emilie @ Emilie Eats recently posted…Spiralized Asian Quinoa Salad with Peanut Dressing

Lauren
    January 26, 2016 at 11:22 pm

Davida, these look so so good! Sweet potato and guacamole is the best combination. I miss me some nut butters when I am away! And I realise how much I actually eat when I am away from it…!
    Lauren recently posted…Whole 30 – Week 2 – A Few Slip Ups

January 27, 2016 at 8:28 am

haha yup me too! Thankfully they had peanut butter at Wellfit but I’m pretty sure I reduced their stock by half LOL…

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    January 27, 2016 at 1:47 am

Sweet potato and guac are like a match made in heaven!
    David and I are football fans so will be watching the football… Little differently this year… Will be watching it live at 6.30am on Monday morning! Used to watching it at 11pm in the UK! So I need good brekkie options!
    Jen @ Chase the Red Grape recently posted…5 Top Tips on a Tuesday – How to live your bucket list!

January 27, 2016 at 8:21 am

hahahaha oh man! That is serious commitment right there! I’d say just top an egg on this and you’ve got a full-blown breakfast 😉

Ann
    January 27, 2016 at 5:08 am

I love this, and my boyfriend will too. Big fan of avocados and sweet potatoes especially in fries form 🙂

Bethany @ Athletic Avocado
    January 28, 2016 at 7:22 am

two of my favorite things in one awesome recipe!! Im drooling by this deliciousness!
    Bethany @ Athletic Avocado recently posted…Warm and Nourishing Bowl of Frothy Chai Spiced Oatmeal with Apple Noodles

Brittany
    January 28, 2016 at 8:06 am

This combo is perfection! Sweet potato fries are my weakness.
    Brittany recently posted…Top Health and Fitness Resorts + Retreats

January 28, 2016 at 10:20 am

Me too! Same with avocados. This meal is basically the opposite of will power haha

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    January 28, 2016 at 1:44 pm

GIF LOVE. Also, I always look for menu options with guac, so I’d do the same thing 😉

Sweet tater fries twins this week! I’ll trade you some guac for sweet chili? ( I know, it’s not really a fair trade) :-p
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Sweet Potato Fries with Walnuts, Brown Sugar, & Sweet Chili Sauce

February 2, 2016 at 9:23 am

I totally count it as a fair trade! Gotta balance the sweet and savory 😉

Consuelo | Earthly Taste
    January 28, 2016 at 6:47 pm

The retreat looked amazeballs from what I saw in yours and Lee’s snaps!! But yeah, I would have missed avos so much as well!!! And fries too! Goshhhh these look bomb!
    Consuelo | Earthly Taste recently posted…Berry Chocolate Vanilla Raw Cheesecake

February 2, 2016 at 9:23 am

They had carrot fries one day…not the same thing 😉

Chrissa - Physical Kitchness
    January 28, 2016 at 11:32 pm

OH MY GAWD you’ve combined two of my fav power foods – sweet potatoes and avocado!!!! I’m in love, I’m in heaven. Can I just kiss you?
    Chrissa – Physical Kitchness recently posted…Warm-Up Treadmill Workout

Stacie, RDN @ Simply Nourished Recipes
    January 30, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Wowzers…two of my fave foods are sweet potatoes and avocados…..can it get any better than this?! Seriously, Davidia — amazing!
    Stacie, RDN @ Simply Nourished Recipes recently posted…Coconut Red Curry Shrimp Soup {Guest Blog by Real Food with Dana}

February 2, 2016 at 9:30 am

Thanks, girlfriend! Don’t know why it took me so long to think to pair these two superfoods!

Vicki @ Boiled Eggs & Soldiers
    January 31, 2016 at 1:22 am

Yum, I just made this to take to a BBQ, it’s amazing!
    Vicki @ Boiled Eggs & Soldiers recently posted…Your Weekly Feed – Sunday Night Fare

February 2, 2016 at 9:40 am

wonderful! I’m planning to triple the batch for our superbowl party on Sunday!

Haley
    June 8, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Can I just say that these are calling. my. name. ?! My goodness – they look delicious!

I just discovered your blog (finally, after hearing such wonderful things!) and I’m impressed! I will definitely be back for more 🙂

Haley