travel

Costa Rica 2015

January 28, 2015

I kind of just up and disappeared on you for a second there, didn’t I? For absolutely no reason whatsoever I was completely aloof with my plans and jetted off to Costa Rica for a week without telling you. I thought about trying to blog from the jungle but the second I got there I realized how little I wanted to and instead preserved my precious minutes of wifi to instablogging instead.

warrior-1This trip was years in the making, though I can’t take any credit for the planning process. It was a group effort of several super-planners who managed to find a way to transport 17 people from across North America to a remote villa in southwestern Costa Rica. It was an impressive feat.

I was lucky to be invited by C’s family to join in on the fun and help round-out the doctor to non-doctor ratio in the group (8 out of 17 of us are doctors – my hypochondriac dream!).

First I’ll share some deets on the trip and then I’ll proceed to photobomb you with the gorgeousness that was Costa Rica.

All 17 of us flew into San Jose before hopping on a tiny propellor plane to the Osa Peninsula in Southwestern Costa Rica. We were staying at Tres Palmas, a villa about an hour from Puerto Jimenez making it pretty remote from civilization. The villa was absolutely spectacular. 12 of us were in the main house and 5 were in a smaller house down the road. The villa sat far up in the jungle with monkeys and parrots EVERYWHERE and an infinity pool looking over the ocean. There was a (somewhat treacherous) path down to the beach which took about 10 minutes and access to a stunning waterfall not too much further down the path.

All of our meals were cooked by the house’s caretaker and his family and were completely delicious. Lots of rice and beans and Costa Rican specialties. We were totally spoiled. We did venture out for two meals. One was at the Bosque del Cabo Eco Resort where I proceeded to drink my weight in mojitos and the other was at Martina’s Bar where I channeled my inner salsa dancer and ate and danced the night away with the locals.

We all took the chance to try out different activities or spend some much needed time lounging by the pool or on the beach. Some people went on a nature hike, others went fishing and C and I decided we weren’t leaving CR until we went surfing. Mission accomplished.

I took the time to read, soak up the heat (but avoid the sun – no wrinkles for me!), reflect on the amazingness that was 2014 and brainstorm ideas for 2015. It was the perfect way to kick off the New Year.

PlaneOur home for the week.
Home home2coconut beach-gif ME-and-C-on-beach meal-1 lunch monkey waterfall surfing IMG_6667Marvin, our master chef with the catch of the day.
marvin arroz con pollo dressme-and-c-beach yoga
The best crew!
the-crewI have to take a second to thank C’s fam for being incredibly gracious by inviting me to join them on the trip. C and I are both so fortunate to have amazingly supportive and wonderful families. Feeling totally and completely blessed!

Have you ever been to Costa Rica? Do you have any travel plans for 2015?

DON'T WANT TO MISS THE NEXT ADVENTURE? Join the THM Community!

Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive info about travel, places I've visited and how to stick to your healthy lifestyle on the road.

Alicia
    January 28, 2015 at 6:19 am

What an awesome trip!! I really want to see an infinity pool one day and love your tree pose on it!! I went to Costa Rica in the summer of 2010 (wow I can’t believe it has been nearly 5 years) with International Student Volunteers. I studied Spanish for a week (since I only knew French) and then spent 2 weeks on my volunteer project patroling the beach for sea turtles along with 12 others, and 2 weeks adventuring around Costa Rica. It was an amazing trip overall and I am so glad I was able to go.
    Alicia recently posted…Breaking out of a food rut: WIAW#13

Liz Stout
    January 28, 2015 at 6:33 am

Oh it looks so warm and inviting. I went in 2006 and had a blast. Definitely would visit again. Such beauty! Loved the whole ecotourism thing they’ve got going on so well.

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    January 28, 2015 at 7:09 am

Gorgeous! I’ve never been to Costa Rica, but friends of mine have and they love it there. Totally jealous and wanting a beach vacation now. So glad you were able to get away and relax!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…The snow day that wasn’t and an empty yoga class

Anna
    January 28, 2015 at 9:28 am

Looks like a phenomenal trip. Brings Costa Rica even closer to #1 on my list of places I want to visit soon! Was the place where you stayed a private rented house or was it associated with a hotel? I’d love to check it out when I finally plan a trip!
    Anna recently posted…Oklahoma + Dallas: A Recap

Arlene
    January 28, 2015 at 9:59 am

I think the word “Beautiful” says it all about your post today. Thank you.

Arlene

She Rocks Fitness
    January 28, 2015 at 10:21 am

I went to Costa Rica a few years ago for a wedding and it was AWESOME! I’m actually looking for surf yoga retreats to go to this year, if I can financially swing it. 🙂 So glad that you had a wonderful trip…Thanks for sharing!
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…3 Ways To Do Lat Pulldown

Liz
    January 28, 2015 at 10:23 am

I LOVE love the photo of you in the orange dress underneath the stunning Costa Rican greenery (what was that, by the way). You should totally make that your profile pic for THM. 🙂

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    January 28, 2015 at 10:30 am

Okay I’m just going to proceed with printing some of these gorgeous photos and hanging them on my wall…
    But seriously, this is amazing, Davs!!! I’m so happy that you got to spend time with your loved ones in such a fantastic place. The food, the waterfall, the sun. It makes the snow outside my window look ten times less appealing 😉 And now Costa Rica is on my list of places to go!
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Blizzard Day Eats

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    January 28, 2015 at 10:42 am

I am so jealous I want to cry. KIDDING! This looks so unbelievably beautiful and I am SO happy for you guys that you were able to spend this time together. By the way you are just simply GORGEOUS. I LOVE that orange dress!!!! Perfect pic!
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…Roadtripping, Powerlifting, CrossFitting

Diana @sosmallsostrong
    January 28, 2015 at 11:58 am

OMG AMAZING!! Looks so incredible and the FOOD??.. YES!!
    Diana @sosmallsostrong recently posted…What I’ve Been Eating Lately…

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    January 28, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Costa Rica happens to be one of those bucket list places I’d definitely love to visit. Brad is choosing a ski trip this year, but next year is my turn and it just might be Costa Rica! Looks like such a neat place.
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…Pretty Red Pancakes for your Valentine

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    January 28, 2015 at 12:23 pm

I’ve never been to Costa Rica. I think because I livd on a tropical island for most of my life, going to another one for vacation didn’t really make sense. So, I’m generally more of a staycation kind of gal. I’m hopefully going on a trip for reading week in February, but it’ll probably be somewhere in Canada that we can drive to. We shall see.
    Glad you had a great time!
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…On being sick, new foods and weird obsessions

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance
    January 28, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Pura Vida! Costa Rica is hands down my favorite place on Earth (so far). I’ve been dying to go back and need to plan a trip asap. Did you visit any hot springs or volcan arenal?
    Christina @ The Beautiful Balance recently posted…Dairy Free Brioche Buns

Georgie
    January 28, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Wow! All those pictures are stunning. What a great way to kick off 2015. Surfing looks like a blast – getting a serious case of wanderlust right now.
    Georgie recently posted…Whole 30 Week 2 – Let’s Talk Snacks

January 28, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Wow, so beautiful! I’m glad you got a chance to get away and RELAX girl – you deserve it!

I’m not sure what my travel plans are this year. Probably not anything big, but I’m hoping to go out to Calgary maybe. I have a bunch of friends out there that I’ve been meaning to visit!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Taste of Burlington Winter 2015 Launch

Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair
    January 28, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Ummm, these pictures are amazing!! This is making me so excited for my trip to CR!
    Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday #14: Back Into the Swing of Things

Kay @ Kay Bueno
    January 28, 2015 at 2:26 pm

I love Costa Rica, and your trip looks so beautiful. And the pictures are amazing. Now I want to take a beach vacation. Lol
    Kay @ Kay Bueno recently posted…What I ate Wednesday, when I was sick.

January 28, 2015 at 2:54 pm

WOW it looks absolutely beautiful there! Costa Rica has been high on my bucket list lately… it looks like heaven!

Also, LOVE love love that picture of you in the orange dress. Hello gorgeous!
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…San Diego Restaurant Week Fun: Del Mar’s CUCINA enoteca + Taste of Thai

January 28, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Wow – gorgeous pictures!!! The view from that pool is amazing!!
    You look like a model in that red dress.
    Glad you had such a great time.
    Kim recently posted…Missing: My Morning Mojo

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
    January 28, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Oh my gosh how fun! I’m obviously jealous. The weather looks absolutely amazing there!

Maria
    January 28, 2015 at 5:56 pm

i want to move from Ottawa to Costa Rica after reading this 😛

January 28, 2015 at 6:06 pm

Wow, it looks gorgeous. Not going to lie, I hadn’t heard too much of Costa Rica until recently, not a hugely popular place for Aussies to visit!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Spicy Sweet Potato and Pumpkin Dip

Samantha @FerraroKitchen
    January 28, 2015 at 7:56 pm

What a blast!! You look so peaceful and happy! Costa Rica is certainly on my list!
    Samantha @FerraroKitchen recently posted…Pomegranate Cheesecake

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    January 28, 2015 at 8:48 pm

Beyond beautiful….I cannot even get over your pictures! I’m obviously dying over the one of you in the orang dress. You’re stunning and so is Costa Rica 🙂 PS I think I’d be in heaven over all those rice and bean delicacies!
    Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    January 29, 2015 at 8:26 am

I have not been to Costa Rica but I could hop on the plane and go there right now….so far I have been to NY and Seattle..I see Nepal sometime soon and who knows after that?

January 29, 2015 at 12:55 pm

I’m proud of you for up and disappearing. I remember a day when unplugging for that long would have sent you into a tailspin. Looks like you had a wonderful time, and I’m with everyone else that the orange dress picture is absolutely gorgeous! xo
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…The Shadow Proves the Sunshine

Jen@jpabstfitness
    January 29, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Stunning! I’ve never been to Costa Rica, but now I want to! As I’m sitting here in 20 degree weather and snow falling down.
    Jen@jpabstfitness recently posted…#TGIT

lynsey | lynseylovesfood
    January 29, 2015 at 9:32 pm

i would like to drink my weight in mojitos right now. looks amazing. xo

January 30, 2015 at 11:58 am

All these photos are beyond amazing. C’s family is the best (I know from experience haha!). I am soooo glad you are now a surfer girl and had such an amazing, off-the-grid trip. You deserved it and I can’t wait to see your tan on Skype tomorrow! xoxo
    Cassie recently posted…Now Trending – Best Links Week of 1.26

February 1, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Let’s go on a surf vacation with the lederle’s. Best of both worlds!

Luv What You Do
    January 30, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Gorgeous photos!
    Looks like an amazing trip!
    Luv What You Do recently posted…Double Computer Bag Day

Les | Balanced Berry
    January 31, 2015 at 12:46 am

That seriously looks like an amazing trip. The photos are beautiful!
    Les | Balanced Berry recently posted…Paleo Sriracha BBQ Chicken Pizza

Now Trending - Best Links Week of 2.16 - Almost Getting it TogetherAlmost Getting it Together
    February 20, 2015 at 9:51 am

[…] you miss Davida’s Costa Rica travel diary? Why am I so in love with Central […]

Crispy Baked Yuca Fries - The Healthy Maven
    March 17, 2015 at 5:01 am

[…] all started in Costa Rica when our chefs got me absolutely hooked on yuca. Yuca (sometimes called Cassava) is a root […]

Vicky @ Avocdo Pesto
    November 23, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Came over to your blog to check out your yucca fries recipe and upon seeing the word Costa Rica linked had to hope over here to read about your trip! My boyfriend and I are currently house sitting in Costa Rica — not too far from where you werew – in Ojochal a small remote village probably an hour or 2 north. Looks like you had a great trip! So many animals here right?! Alright back to the yucca fries for meeeeeee!
    Vicky @ Avocdo Pesto recently posted…Vegan Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Quinoa with Avocado Tahini Drizzle {GF}