gluten-free lunch soup soup sunday vegan vegetarian

SOUP SUNDAY: Quinoa Tortilla Soup

January 3, 2016

Swap the chicken for quinoa in this healthy vegetarian Quinoa Tortilla Soup recipe! Quinoa is high in fiber and protein and makes a great non-meat alternative in this spicy Mexican soup.I am so so excited to reveal a new series kicking off this year on THM! By now it is no secret that I love soup. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I could live off soup and balls and be perfectly content for life. I pretty much eat soup everyday for lunch and if C isn’t around to complain, I’ll eat it for dinner (not giving him a bad rap- he just doesn’t necessarily want soup everyday for dinner!)

And while there certainly are plenty of soup options around here, I am bursting with so many ideas that I just have to share more. So with that, I am thrilled to announce SOUP SUNDAY!

Every Sunday through the winter months, I will be posting a new soup recipe. My hope is that this recipe will help feed you throughout the week. Making a big batch of soup to have on hand for lunches and dinners is how I meal-prep and selfishly I want you to get on board with me.

Swap the chicken for quinoa in this healthy vegetarian Quinoa Tortilla Soup recipe! Quinoa is high in fiber and protein and makes a great non-meat alternative in this spicy Mexican soup.I also believe that soups are one of the easiest recipes to make for people of any cooking level. Mostly because you really can’t go wrong. Even if the measurements aren’t 100% perfect, there’s a pretty good chance your soup will turn out anyway…unless you accidentally add cinnamon instead of cumin!

I love every single one of you so much, but man are some of you terrible at following directions! I can sympathize, because the whole reason I write a blog is because I have to make up recipes and cannot follow them, but it gets my gears grinding when you totally ignore my instructions and then complain that the recipe didn’t turn out….ehewiuthrgrenihgiwuwr <—said every food blogger ever.

The majority of you are amazing and can apparently read directions, but for those of you who can’t, soup recipes allow me to rest easy knowing there’s a decent chance it’ll turn out anyway!

Swap the chicken for quinoa in this healthy vegetarian Quinoa Tortilla Soup recipe! Quinoa is high in fiber and protein and makes a great non-meat alternative in this spicy Mexican soup.But the best part about soups is that they can be seriously healthy but still delicious. I swear by soups to get in my vegetables and some soups even have the power to cure the common-cold.

Better yet, they are a meal in one! Soups like this Quinoa Tortilla Soup are packed with protein, veggies and carbs for a complete meal. But even for those ones that aren’t, it’s nothing a little avocado toast on the side can’t fix.

So I hope you’re equally as excited as I am about Soup Sunday! I have some epic recipes lined up, but I also want to hear, which soup recipes you want to see a healthy makeover on. I also hope you’ll expand your palate and try some new recipes you’d never thought of trying before. Stay tuned for some goodies coming your way!

Quinoa Tortilla Soup

• Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Total Time: 50 minutes
  • Yield: 6-8 bowls

1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, add olive oil.
  2. Add in yellow onion and saute until translucent (about 3-4 mins).
  3. Add in garlic cloves and cook for 1 more minute.
  4. Add in bell pepper and cook for another minute.
  5. Top with diced tomatoes, vegetable stock, green chilis, quinoa, black beans and corn.
  6. Add in spices and bring soup to a boil.
  7. Once boiling, cover with lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
  8. Remove lid and simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
  9. Top with lime juice, cilantro and cayenne if using.
  10. Add to bowls and sprinkle with toppings of choice.

*For Homemade Tortilla Crisps:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Slice corn tortillas in half and then into thin crisps.
  3. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 mins or until browned.
  4. Sprinkle on soup or store in a paper bag on counter top for several days.

The majority of you are amazing and can apparently read directions, but for those of you who can't, soup recipes allow me to rest easy knowing there's a decent chance it'll turn out anyway! What are some of your favorite soup recipes? Which recipes do you want to see featured on Soup Sunday?

Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!

She Rocks Fitness
    January 3, 2016 at 9:18 am

I have yet to make a soup that has quinoa in it…I am definitely eating a lot more quinoa and growing to love it more. HA! This looks so yummy and perfect for a cold winter night…I bet the leftovers are great too! Happy New Year friend!
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…What The Single Woman Buys At Costco Part V

Les @ The Balanced Berry
    January 3, 2016 at 10:33 am

Tortilla soup is one of my favorite kind of soups! This version looks delicious – I love the quinoa addition. Really I love any kind of soup because I’m a huge baby and can’t handle being cold.

On another note, sometimes people are pretty bad at reading directions and/or substituting ingredients until it is a completely different recipe. I know nearly every blogger who shares recipes can relate to that!

The Healthy Maven
      January 6, 2016 at 10:49 am

YUP! Sometimes it’s hilarious to see what people come up with haha

Hannah @CleanEatingVeggieGirl
    January 3, 2016 at 11:55 am

Yum!! I would love it if you made some Paleo soups!
    Hannah @CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…The Best Clean Eating Veggie Girl Recipes of 2015

Katie | Honestly Nourished
    January 3, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Most. BEAUTIFUL. Bowl. Of. Soup. Ever. Like Les, I love your substitution for the chicken — quinoa is legit and I can’t wait to try this soup, especially since the forecast here is rain x7 days. These photos are also stunning. Well done, Davida! XX
    Katie | Honestly Nourished recently posted…Detoxifying Ginger Berry Beet Smoothie

The Healthy Maven
      January 3, 2016 at 5:48 pm

Aw thank you gorgeous! Supposed to rain for all 7 days of our trip in Malibu so there’s that. Hoping there’s soup on the menu 🙂

Emily
    January 3, 2016 at 2:43 pm

Oh I will most certainly be making this! Maybe even tonight although I don’t have a pepper on hand, I think it would be just fine without. Looking forward to your soups…hope many are vegetarian!
    Emily recently posted…Happy November: Four Tips for a Happy & Healthy You

The Healthy Maven
      January 3, 2016 at 5:46 pm

90% will be veg since I’m eating more veg this way 🙂 Get ready! Also will be totally fine without the pepper!

January 3, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Anything with butternut squash or kabocha! My mother makes this delicious butternut squash soup with veggie or chicken broth, butternut squash or kabocha, some coconut milk, salt and pepper and a little olive oil, blends it all up, cooks everything and bam! PERFECTION.
    I am so excited for this new Soup Sunday series! I cannot wait to see what else you’ll whip up! This soup, in particular looks DELICIOUS. I love a good Mexican soup with beans and tortilla chips!
    Cassie recently posted…Workout Playlist!

The Healthy Maven
      January 6, 2016 at 10:45 am

oooooh I’ve never tried Kabocha squash in soup! You’ve given me a great idea for soup Sunday!

Lindsey Bomgren
    January 3, 2016 at 5:05 pm

This it too funny — I literally had this for lunch! Fresh lime and cilantro topped with avocado…mmmm good! Love your recipes!
    Lindsey Bomgren recently posted…4 exercises to build a better booty {it’s all about the butt}

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    January 4, 2016 at 10:17 am

Davida, it’s times and posts like these when I conclude once again that we are long lost soul (and food) sisters 😉

I fanaticly LOVE soup, crave it daily (especially from September till April), and if I can (and have a big pot full of soup on hand) I eat it at least twice (for lunch and dinner) or even for a third time late night as a warming comfort (but healthy) food.

I LOVE how easy they are (basically you just throw everything in a pot and let it simmer for some time), that they are healthy, hearty, satiate your hunger without making you feel too full.

Another sign that great minds think alike is that just during the Christmas holidays when I was making soup one evening told Boyfriend that I definitely should post a soup recipe every Monday on the blog since I eat so much soup 😀 (Posted the first one yesterday, which was basically still Sunday, but whatever.)

My affection for soup is even funnier, because as I kid I wasn’t that big on eating soups, I wanted to get to the main meal and dessert straight away and found soup more of an unnecessary filler in the menu…)

This soup looks amazing! I love tortilla soup but haven’t made it at home yet, as most recipes I saw called for a slow cooker, which I don’t have. So glad to see this can be made without one, will have to make it soon! 😀
    Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Cream of Parsnip Soup with Sage and Smoked Salmon

Jo
    January 12, 2016 at 2:09 pm

I’m a bad recipe follower… I cooked the quinoa first and I don’t think I was supposed to. 🙁 Will that destroy the recipe?

The Healthy Maven
      January 12, 2016 at 2:30 pm

haha no worries! Just add it in at the end and use less liquid than is called for since the quinoa is supposed to absorb a lot of the liquid! Should still taste great though 😉

Anna
    December 6, 2016 at 9:43 pm

I accidently through in the lime juice while it was coming to a boil.. Is that going to affect the taste?? I’m so upset because this soup looks amazing! Also I’m leaving out the quinoa, will that affect it?

Anna
      December 6, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Threw* gosh

December 8, 2016 at 7:37 pm

Nope! Won’t make a difference with the lime. I wouldn’t recommend leaving out the quinoa though. You can but your liquid to solid ratio will be way off!

Am
    December 4, 2017 at 1:35 am

This recipe used to include green onions but it appears to have changed. Am I right?

I make this as a staple in my house and today after making it I realized something was missing! Green onions. I swear the recipe used to list green onions… and today I felt it was lacking without them (but still really great).

Why the reason for the change? You can see green onions in your soup photos even.

I will modify to add green onions going forward =) My husband says this is my best dish and always asks for it!

December 4, 2017 at 9:38 am

Hey there! Nope, no changes to the recipe! The green onions were just used as a topping (it’s still there under toppings!). Feel free to modify and use green onions instead of yellow. Love that you’re making the recipe your own. That’s what it’s all about! Happy cooking 🙂