bars breakfast gluten-free vegan

Banana Quinoa Breakfast Bars

May 8, 2016

Get your quinoa first thing in the morning with these Banana Quinoa Breakfast Bars. An easy, make-ahead breakfast that is vegan, refined-sugar-free and absolutely delicious.

Get your quinoa first thing in the morning with these Banana Quinoa Breakfast Bars. An easy, make-ahead breakfast that is vegan, refined-sugar-free and absolutely delicious.Something I never anticipated when I started this blog was that I’d have to develop a pretty thick skin when it comes to hearing feedback. Truthfully, I’ve got it easy when it comes to criticism (I have blogger friends who are basically cyber-bullied), but when you opt to put your life and your creations on the internet, the trolls or just really mean people will find you.

People would ask me what the meanest things were that people have said to me and for the longest time I never really had a response. One time someone tried to tell me U of T was better than McGill (ummmmm no.) but that was the worst of it.

But then I experienced a post going viral and all of that changed.

Get your quinoa first thing in the morning with these Banana Quinoa Breakfast Bars. An easy, make-ahead breakfast that is vegan, refined-sugar-free and absolutely delicious.When a post or really anything of yours goes viral, you’re going to attract attention from haters. I’ve gotten personal attacks on my character, my diet choices and perhaps most commonly, my recipes.

No matter how many times you test your recipes, there will always be that vocal person who insists on telling you how much they hate it. I welcome any and all feedback, but when you’re just straight-up rude you don’t warrant a response.

For the longest time I held onto these comments. I would ruminate on them and insist on finding out what went wrong in the process (because 95% of the time they tried to substitute half the recipe and it failed), but I’ve now learned to let them go.

Get your quinoa first thing in the morning with these Banana Quinoa Breakfast Bars. An easy, make-ahead breakfast that is vegan, refined-sugar-free and absolutely delicious.There was a point in time when I chose not to post anything baked because inevitably there would be a comment or 10 about how much someone hated the recipe. I should add that these are almost always overwhelmed by comments from people who LOVED the recipe, but it’s easy to focus on the hate.

What I’ve come to understand is that everyone goes into a recipe (and especially baked goods!) with a different set of tools, skills and expectations. We have different ovens, different altitudes, different ingredients, different abilities to read directions (arghhhhh) and most notably, different tastebuds.

When I label something as “healthy” I anticipate that most people know it won’t taste like a sugar and butter-filled Betty Crocker brownie, but apparently this is a bit presumptuous.

But if I let every comment affect me, we wouldn’t be here, would we?

So yeah, these banana quinoa breakfast bars have quinoa in them, and they’re vegan and they taste nothing like a slice of starbucks banana bread. But they’re also not going to take 10 years off your life.

Banana Quinoa Breakfast Bars

PREP TIME 20 mins
Cook Time 25 mins

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Spray or grease a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with coconut oil
  3. In a large bowl combine rolled oats, quinoa, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
  4. Add in bananas, flax, peanut butter, coconut oil and maple syrup. Stir until well-combined.
  5. Sprinkle with optional add-ins.
  6. Let batter sit for 10 mins to let flax absorb some liquid.
  7. Add batter to baking dish and spread out evenly.
  8. Bake for 25 mins or until edges are crisp and center is cooked through.
  9. Let sit for 20 mins before cutting into 9-12 squares and allow to cool completely.
  10. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for longer.

Get your quinoa first thing in the morning with these Banana Quinoa Breakfast Bars. An easy, make-ahead breakfast that is vegan, refined-sugar-free and absolutely delicious.How do you deal with the haters? Should I add more baking recipes?

Jillian
    May 8, 2016 at 7:36 am

Hi Davida! I just wanted to say that I always love your unique recipes! These breakfast bars looks fantastic and I was wondering, did you find that the quinoa absorbed the liquid and became softer like cooked quinoa or did it give the bars a little bit of crunchy texture like uncooked quinoa? Thanks!

May 9, 2016 at 10:47 am

Thanks so much, Jillian! The texture is somewhere in between. Definitely still some crunch (which I like) but the quinoa also absorbs some of the liquid.

E
        June 4, 2017 at 1:48 pm

I love your recipes! I totally understand the cowardly keyboard bullies coming forward, as I have a YouTube channel. People would comment on EVERYTHING trying to tear me down. Put downs about my body, me in general, etc. 99.9% of these people wouldn’t have the courage to say this to your face. I realized that bottom line – people throw rocks at things that shine! That ALWAYS comes from an inner lack of security and self-confidence, and has absolutely nothing to do with you! So, keep bringing your bright ideas to the world 🙂 I’m grateful for you taking the time and sticking your neck out to do this! You have a talent that helps many others! God bless!

Karen @ Seasonal Cravings
    May 8, 2016 at 10:14 am

I am so with you on the rude comments. I have people say they didn’t like a recipe and they tell me all the subsititutions they made. It’s not even the same recipe! I love your recipes and I also know that healthy recipes taste a bit different when they aren’t full of preservatives. They aren’t meant to taste the same. Stick to your guns and keep cranking out these delicious healthy recipes!
    Karen @ Seasonal Cravings recently posted…Chocolate Cashew Energy Balls

May 9, 2016 at 10:47 am

Exactly! Ah well, it’s just a part of the job I suppose! Glad you understand 😉

Lisa
      October 6, 2016 at 4:30 pm

These look yummy! Yes please post more recipes! And ignore the haters. I’ve come to a point in my life where I’ve realized that some people just like to be miserable.

Donna
    May 8, 2016 at 10:38 am

Keep doing what you’re doing …. Being a blogger you are always going to deal with rude obnoxious people … It’s part of the job. Just ignore them and soldier on !!!! I enjoy your recipes.

Diana
    May 8, 2016 at 10:48 am

I love you and your recipes! Keep up the great work! (Currently stuffing face with chocolate cherry energy balls)

May 9, 2016 at 10:46 am

ahhhh the best! My Dad’s favorite too 🙂 Thanks so much, Diana!

May 8, 2016 at 12:14 pm

i have yet to encounter some real trolls in my blogging journey, and I can pretty much say that I carry on some of the thickest skin I know. I really don’t give a flying sh*t about what others think of me. If they criticize me while I’m just being myself and not hurting anybody, then it’s their problem, NOT mine. I do think that sometimes it’s easier said than done but you really have to learn to not let people who don’t know you in real life get to you. Even toxic people in your actual social realm have to be eliminated, ignored or dealt with too.
    Cassie recently posted…New YouTube Video: Healthy Vegan Vegetable Curry (cauliflower based)

Toni
    May 8, 2016 at 1:38 pm

I love your blog, your recipes and hearing about your life! I hope you don’t stop.

Leana
      May 8, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Just made these and they are super yummy!! These and your avocado muffins are now 2 staple recipes in my house 😄

May 9, 2016 at 10:28 am

Aw thank you Leana! Staples in my home too. Glad you enjoyed <3

May 9, 2016 at 10:29 am

Never 😉 Thanks for the support, Toni!

Jennifer
    May 8, 2016 at 3:11 pm

I’ve never understood why so many people feel the need to write nasty comments on the internet. I find it especially ridiculous when they write awful things on cooking and baking blogs. If a recipe doesn’t work for you, there is a way to be tactful and polite about it. Your recipes are great (hello energy balls!), so I wouldn’t worry about the haters.

Dani @ Dani California Cooks
    May 8, 2016 at 6:44 pm

I’m always nervous when someone tells me they’ve tried a recipe of mine! You never know if they are going to think something is as delicious as you did. My boyfriend, Nate, will usually be honest with me if he thinks something tastes too “healthy” and so I make sure to note that if someone is expecting super-sweet they may be disappointed…
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…Zucchini Turkey Burgers

Lauren
    May 8, 2016 at 7:45 pm

I completely agree constructive criticism is great feedback but when people are plain rude or nasty it’s just so not called for. It makes me sad people have so much negativity in them to project that onto others who are trying to be a positive influence on the world. All you can do is let it make you stronger and ultimately, the more you can brush it off, the less life adversity will affect you. So they are kind of actually helping you in your growth in a weird way 😉
    All your recipes I have tried have been delicious and the point of it, nutritious aswell! Keep doing you and YES to more baking recipes. You can’t please everyone but you sure will be pleasing a lot of tastebuds and happy healthy cells 🙂 xx

May 9, 2016 at 10:29 am

It’s so true. Definitely made me more resilient! But also opened up my eyes to a whole new subset of humanity haha. Thanks for the support, gorgeous!

Renee
    May 8, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Thank you for the recipe… just made them and they were just want I was looking for! Keep up the good work!!!

May 9, 2016 at 10:27 am

Thanks Renee! Glad you enjoyed! Really appreciate the support <3

Kay
    May 8, 2016 at 10:15 pm

This looks amazing! I am SO making this!!! Thanks Davida!

Christina
    May 9, 2016 at 9:53 am

These look delicious! I happen to have cooked quinoa in my fridge, could you use that instead of raw?

May 9, 2016 at 10:27 am

I wouldn’t recommend it as the uncooked quinoa absorbs more liquid, but if you’re interested in playing around I’d be curious the hear your result!

Christina
        May 9, 2016 at 10:28 am

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I can easily use the uncooked quinoa too!

Beverley @ Born to Sweat
    May 9, 2016 at 11:46 am

i’ve been pretty lucky to, to not have to deal with many haters or mean comments. considering i post photos of myself 9 times out of 10, i’m reallyyyy surprised to not have gotten worse. i will never understand how peoples minds work, and how they can be so cruel online.
    i could go ON AND ON about how much i hate bullying, but i’m gonna furrrget about it and let you know that these bars look AMAZING. def gonna try them soon (or just come over and steal em).
    Beverley @ Born to Sweat recently posted…How to Workout with a Foot or Ankle Injury

May 9, 2016 at 12:15 pm

ridiculously cruel! Makes no sense. You’re always welcome to come over 🙂

Lindsay
    May 9, 2016 at 2:50 pm

After reading your post I knew I had to make these ASAP. They are so good! I baked mine in a 8×8 inch baking dish and it took a bit longer to bake. Perfect afternoon snack.

May 9, 2016 at 6:52 pm

PREACH x 100000000 + 2.

It’s taken time but slowly, easier to shake it off and put them in thw 1-2% pile VS the 98% who make things successfully. (Or don’t sub oats or flour for watermelon).

I still need to play around more with quinoa- These look awesome, D!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Coffee Talk #14

May 10, 2016 at 9:48 am

You mean watermelon isn’t a perfect substitute for oat flour? Well this explains everything…

Felicia
    May 9, 2016 at 7:40 pm

I love quinoa and in a baked form even better. I bake every Monday and so ill be making this exactly.
    More baked Good please.

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    May 10, 2016 at 5:07 am

Huge hugs Davida! I LOVE your blog and I love YOU as a person. I love how genuine, unpretentious, witty, funny and quirky you are, and I’m truly sorry half a world and several oceans separate us, because otherwise I would be your friendly stalker 😉 (joking! err.. welll you know.. ;-p)

That being said I have tried several of your recipes and some were delicious and became favourites, then 1 or 2 just didn’t work for me. But I never would have thought to go and attack you! I just file it away, and keep on trying other recipes of yours 🙂

Cooking and eating is very subjective, not only are our personal tastes very different, but as you said our materials and tools may vary and these can greatly affect the outcome. Cooking and baking is all about experimenting, and in my book that may result in some fails as well. But without fails we woudln’t learn what to change or avoid (or grow to like!).

I also love reading when Lee posts on FB some of those awfully rude comments she gets, because they are ridiculous either because they didn’t even make HER recipe (dubstituting some crucial ingredients) or because they are downright absurd, so rude and completely raging.

“Haters gon hate. I’ll be over in the corner eating my breakfast and scheming about taking over the world.” -> Yay Girlfriend! You do that!! *big hugs*
    Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Oriental Lentil Casserole

May 10, 2016 at 9:51 am

YOU ARE THE BEST!!! I hope one day an ocean doesn’t separate us and we can finally meet!!! Thanks for being unconditionally supportive! So much love for ya!

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    May 11, 2016 at 2:40 pm

I’ve had one of my IRL friends (not a blogger or foodie) tell me that one of my pics looked disgusting (it was the chickpea salad, obvs) my sister HATED one of my recipes that she made. At first, I was so offended and hurt and questioned my qualifications for sharing recipes on my blog. But honestly, like you said, we all have different tastes. I share things I actually enjoy eating and that has to be good enough for me.
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…Sweet & Salty Avocado Breakfast Pizza

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty
    May 11, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Made this about 5 minutes after seeing the recipe! So amazing! Thank you – a new favorite!
    Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty recently posted…Kombucha Brewing 101

Anne
    May 11, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Ignore the haters, Davida. Ain’t nobody got time for that! Focus on positive vibes only. I love your recipes and your snaps!

May 12, 2016 at 6:03 am

Thank you so much, Anne! I so appreciate the support! xoxo

Anne
    May 11, 2016 at 9:56 pm

And I would love to see more baking from you!
    Anne recently posted…Zucchini Hasselback

Kimber
    May 12, 2016 at 10:24 am

Why do you rinse quinoa? I tried once and it was a big ol mess. Can you tell me the best way?
    Thanks!

May 12, 2016 at 12:21 pm

quinoa is coated in a substance called saponin which makes it taste a bit soapy. Rinsing it gets rid of that taste. I use a fine-mesh strainer. Makes the process super easy.

Lisa
    May 12, 2016 at 10:26 am

LOVED your story. Bloggers definitely need thick skin! And yes, you should definitely do more baking recipes! We recently went GF & DF, and it’s been so hard to find breakfasts my kids will eat. Since we’ve been cutting back on processes sugar, my guess is theses will be plenty sweet to entice them into believing that mom is letting them have dessert for breakfast! Can’t wait to try it!

May 12, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Thanks so much, lovely! Lots of sweets for breakfast around here. No one needs to know they’re healthy 😉

@amanda
    May 13, 2016 at 3:12 am

Hey i just made these used honey instead of maple syrup and butter instead of coconut oil (didnt have..) soo well see how it goes 🙂

May 13, 2016 at 10:46 am

hope they turned out! Definitely keep me posted as I’m sure others who want to make substitutions would find your feedback helpful!

Stephen Vukovics
    May 16, 2016 at 8:57 am

Hey Davida, thanks for posting some nice recipes here us all to use. A lot of these ingredients are new to myself and my eating habits, and am trying to learn to incorporate them more. I am 36 and was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Now I am starting to suffer when my blood sugar spikes up.

I have been making and eating your steel cut granola for breakfast for the past couple weeks and it has been helping control my levels. It is also very tasty.

I made these bad boys yesterday. Didn’t have maple syrup, had to use honey. Added peanuts, I like peanuts. These bars were tasty.

I have one serious concern though. You have made peanut and banana bars, and have nowhere made any type of Elvis reference.

Thank you, and good day.

May 16, 2016 at 10:36 am

hahaha you’re so right, Stephen. How did I miss Elvis?! Glad you’ve been enjoying the recipes. Let me know if you’re looking for a specific recipe and I’m always happy to jump into the kitchen and get creative!

Marianne
    May 17, 2016 at 10:15 am

Hi! This recipe looks wonderful, I am looking forward to trying it. How many servings do you get with the recipe? I am trying to figure out the calories per serving. Thanks!

Le renard et les raisins
    May 18, 2016 at 10:47 am

Hi Davida !

I am from France and I tested your recipe a few days ago, it was very good ! I liked it for my breakfast, and I like the fact that this cake is very healthy thanks to the quinoa. Thanks for sharing, and congrats for your lovely blog.

À bientôt,
    Andréa
    Le renard et les raisins recently posted…Cookies amandes et chocolat noir (vegan & sans gluten)

Ann
    May 22, 2016 at 2:44 pm

I was inspired to make these immediately – they are in the oven now! 🙂 Judging from the flavor of the pre-baked mix, I’m gonna really happy shortly. Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe, and your resilient attitude. Yup, haters gon hate, but keep on keeping on, doing your thing. Nice work!

Dana
    May 25, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Hi I’m wondering if you can substitute honey for maple syrup? And if so, is it 1:1 ratio or should I change the amount I put in? Thanks.

Chi
    May 31, 2016 at 5:53 pm

hola davida ! i’m new to your blog and i’m already obsessed ! i love it !!! all these healthy recipes make me happy to see that all healthy food can taste good. i haven’t made this recipe yet but i was just wondering do i have to use the baking powder ? i don’t have any ): and i also just wanted to let you know that regardless of all these people judging you, you’re amazing at what you do and you shouldn’t stop. you’ll never be able to please everyone, so do what you do best !

May 31, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Aw thank you lovely! So sweet of you to say! I would recommend the baking powder. They help to make them rise so they aren’t too dense but you should be okay without it. The texture may just be slightly different!

Annie
    June 1, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Hi! Looks delish. Thoughts on adding protein powder to this? Thanks in advance!

June 1, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Should be just fine! I wouldn’t add more than a scoop or two though. Let me know how it works out!

Milena
    June 2, 2016 at 8:41 am

Now this is an interesting one. I’ve made something similar but using quinoa leftovers. I am trying your version for sure, so curious about the texture of these.
    I’m a new reader and I must say I find you very inspiring, I really appreciate the way you think out of the box! So glad I discovered your blog!
    x

June 5, 2016 at 8:32 am

Aw thank you, lovely! I hope you enjoy the recipe and I so appreciate the support!

Liz
    June 13, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Hi Maven,
    This looks like a great recipe and I just wanted to see if i had to use white quinoa specifically. I only have red quinoa. I look forward to making this, and if I can do so earlier without going to the store, that’d be awesome! Thanks in advance!

June 13, 2016 at 4:09 pm

I would recommend white quinoa but red quinoa will work! You may just need to bake them for longer as red quinoa can take longer to absorb the liquid. Enjoy! -Davida

Kelsey
    June 22, 2016 at 6:09 pm

Thank you for the recipe and ignore the haters!

I added hemp hearts, dried cranberries, coconut flakes and chocolate chips! So good 🙂

Heidi
    June 24, 2016 at 4:01 pm

YUM!! Just made these for a pre-workout snack. Delicious, nutritious, and love the texture and bite to them. Will definitely be adding this to my go-to make ahead snack recipes.

Jayne Ragheb
    July 16, 2016 at 4:35 am

This sounds so good, what you can add to it is endless. Next week this will be made, might add chai seeds and nuts, what do you think?
    Jayne Ragheb recently posted…How close should we live to our children?

Winter
    August 1, 2016 at 6:00 pm

Hi! I am about to make these and was wondering what I could substitute the coconut oil for or can I just opt to leave it out? I don’t have any on hand and I live 30 minutes to the nearest grocery! Please help, I would love to try these for breakfast.

August 1, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Any kind of oil or butter would make a great substitute! Otherwise you can try substituting with applesauce but it will definitely affect the texture and taste. Let me know how it turns out!

Servings Blog
    August 4, 2016 at 11:20 am

Clif Bars Clif Bar 12 Box Banana

[…] noa absorbed the liquid and became softer like cooked quinoa or did it give the […]

Ewvar Blog
    August 9, 2016 at 11:02 pm

Clif Bars Clif Bar 12 Box Banana Nut Bread

[…] ue recipes! These breakfast bars looks fantastic and I was wondering, did you fi […]

Deidre
    August 13, 2016 at 10:45 pm

There’s definately a great deal to find out
    about this issue. I love all of the points you’ve made.
    Deidre recently posted…Deidre

Natalie
    August 15, 2016 at 4:35 am

Hi Davida!

I made your triple berry baked oatmeal the other night. Just fantastic! I’m sure it’ll become a staple in my kitchen. I’m planning on making these breakfast bars very soon. Thank you for coming up with all of these healthy and delicious recipes.

I used to allow people’s comments get the better of me and it’s still a work it progress because frankly, sometimes they still do. Words matter! Through experience and counselling, I’ve learned that the ways people treat or speak to others is truly a reflection of themselves. I know this is a colloquial saying but it’s so damn true! Keep rocking, Davida!

Susan
    September 25, 2016 at 9:55 am

Look so good and easy these will b in our lunch bags this week! Great blog, glad I came across it:)

Julissa
    October 24, 2016 at 11:55 am

Looking forward to making these but I do have one question. Can I make these with organic steel cut oats? I was thinking of pre-cooking the steel cut before making the bars in order to avoid a raw oats taste. Any thoughts?
    Julissa recently posted…The Best Vegetarian Quinoa Chili

October 24, 2016 at 4:08 pm

I haven’t tried it myself but it may work out! Would love to hear how it turns out if you try it!

macy
    October 26, 2016 at 4:42 pm

Would it be possible to leave the flax seeds out? Or substitute them with chia seeds?

November 5, 2016 at 12:10 am

Sorry for the delayed response! Wouldn’t recommend it. The flax helps to bind things together. They may work out without it but haven’t tried it myself!

Donna
    November 27, 2016 at 12:18 pm

Hi! I just wanted to thank you for this great recipe! I made your banana quinoa bars last night. They turned out great! I added in a bit of unsweetened coconut and less than half a cup of frozen blueberries as my husband doesn’t appreciate chocolate chips…anyway, he said they were the best healthy square I have ever made and he ate 2 right away!

Michele
    January 1, 2017 at 7:06 pm

I love this recipe! I made it last weekend and shared with some friends. I was wondering if you have an idea of the calorie count?
    Thank you!

Katja
    January 8, 2017 at 2:08 pm

I also made these immediately after I found the recipe! I forgot to rinse the quinoa (oops), but they taste great regardless! I also don’t have a 9×9 baking pan (so sad), so I used muffin trays and reduced baking time to about 15 mins. I added the chocolate chips and LOVE them. This will definitely be a part of my weekly prep! Thanks for the recipe!

January 11, 2017 at 12:16 am

So happy to hear that and that you were able to make the changes you needed. Glad you enjoyed!

Jamie Delaney
    February 19, 2017 at 11:28 am

These were so delicious and easy to make! Thanks for sharing.

Carina
    March 9, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Yesterday I was looking for a healthy recipe to use up a few very ripe bananas I had and stumbled over this and it’s absoluetely delicious 🙂 thanks for sharing and I’m sure I’ll be back to try more of your recipes! x Carina

Christina
    March 12, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Davida! WOW! I just stumbled upon your blog and this recipe, and I absolutely can’t wait to try it. I also wanted to say how proud I am that you stood up for healthy eaters EVERYWHERE because I get so many questions and comments about my diet and food choices daily…it’s exhausting. It always has me questioning if I’m “not relaxed enough” or “too strict” when in reality, these foods make me the best version of myself and make my body feel amazing. It’s really difficult when other people don’t understand, but I’m getting better about how to deflect those comments and let it go

Natalie
    March 15, 2017 at 8:58 pm

I absolutely LOVED this recipe! Added some chopped walnuts and blueberries (on deprecate ocasions) and it turned out amazingly!!

Is there any way to find out how many calories are in the original recipe?

Whiney
    March 20, 2017 at 2:48 pm

I just made these bars, and they are AMAZZZZING!! Thanks for the recipe!! I added dark chocolate chips and raisins to mine!! Looking forward to trying more of your recipes!

Linda Azuar
    March 28, 2017 at 9:14 am

Hi Davida..i tried your recipe however i ran out of peanut butter and substitute with nutella instead. Nice. Will do it again but with the original recipe next time. Thnx

Allison Dellandrea
    April 1, 2017 at 7:21 am

Beloved Healthy Maven. I love your recipes, and use many of them frequently. Your healthy, but balanced perspective on nutrition is welcome and genuine. Thanks for this.
    My only “wish” would be nutritional information to accompany the recipes. Any chance of adding this?
    you rock. Don’t go changing.
    xo Allison

Bree
    April 8, 2017 at 8:06 pm

I just made these and had successful results using the the following modifications:
    Sub honey for maple syrup 1:1
    Sub an egg for the flax meal
    Baked in a greased muffin tin at 350 for 15 minutes
    1/4 c chocolate chips with 1/2 tsp coconut oil and drizzled on the bars once they had cooled slightly.

This is a fantastic recipe! I think I’ll try toasting the quinoa first next time to see how that affects the flavor. Thanks for the recipe! 👍🏼

Anne
    April 13, 2017 at 12:21 pm

Hi,

I have a nut allergy what can I substitute the butter for instead? I really want to try this as they look scrumptious!

Thanks x

Servings Blog
    April 17, 2017 at 11:19 pm

On The Clif Bars Clif Bar 12 Box Chocolate

[…] ay that I always love your unique recipes! These breakfast bars looks fantastic […]

Hale K
    April 29, 2017 at 7:40 am

Your recipes look great. Was wondering if you also include the nutritional information? Thank you!

Maddy
      May 1, 2017 at 12:32 am

Hi, I just looked up the nutritional info for the bars. Logged on MyFitnessPal so it might not be the most accurate. I did 10 servings for smaller snacks throughout the day. And the PB I used was homemade with only peanuts so it had no added sugar.

Total Calories: 1786
      Calories Per Serving: 179
      Carbs: 27 g
      Fat: 6 g
      Protein: 6 g
      Sodium: 15 mg
      Sugar: 4 g

Maddy
    May 1, 2017 at 12:23 am

Just tried these – super good! Didn’t have flax seed, so I subbed in some ground almonds and hemp seeds. Also added some carob powder to give it more of a “chocolately” taste and some chia seeds. Turned out great even with the substitutions. Glad I found something I could eat after I found out I couldn’t eat clif bars anymore due to an allergy!

Grams Blog
    May 7, 2017 at 3:59 am

Clif Bars Nut Butter Filled

[…] fantastic and I was wondering, did you find that the quinoa absorbed the liquid […]

A
    June 11, 2017 at 1:20 pm

So I made these last night, and had for breakfast. I had quinoa on hand but had no idea how to prepare it in a way that i actually liked. It was super easy to make.

The quinoa bars were soft with an added crunch and the taste of banana and peanut butter was subtle. They were slightly spongy. The vegan chocolate chips made it even better. Will be making these again. Thank you.

Linda
    July 16, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Do you have an estimate of the nutritional info?

Sharon
    August 9, 2017 at 3:47 pm

If freezing, what is the best way to defrost them?

Capsules Blog
    August 13, 2017 at 5:54 am

Breakfast Bar 12 Bars By Rise Bar

[…] ing, did you find that the quinoa absorbed the liquid and became softer like coo […]

Kirstie
    August 13, 2017 at 7:53 pm

OMG YES. I am so happy I found these babies. I have the BIGGEST sweet tooth (seriously, it’s so big) and have been trying to get away from making a bunch of vegan cookies. So my hubby and I were craving chocolate chip cookies, so I made these. He was like, “No. That won’t hit the spot.” BUT IT TOTALLY DID (for both of us!). <3

Danielle
    August 16, 2017 at 10:09 am

I baked these last night and tried one for breakfast this morning – yummy and filling! I have been looking for some good on-the-go, make-ahead breakfasts and this recipe meets those requirements! I added chocolate chips and ended up baking these in a muffin tin (I didn’t need to adjust baking time). I also added an extra banana and cinnamon just because. Thanks for the great, easy recipe 🙂

erica
    October 15, 2017 at 2:17 pm

I love how flexible this recipe is. I was able to switch the banana puree for pumpkin puree and I made them pumpkin spice flavored (basic I know haha). Added in some chopped dates and pecans and they are so good!