Get your quinoa first thing in the morning with these Banana Quinoa Breakfast Bars. An easy, make-ahead breakfast that is vegan, refined-sugar-free and absolutely delicious.
Something I never anticipated when I started this blog was that I’d have to develop a pretty thick skin when it comes to hearing feedback. Truthfully, I’ve got it easy when it comes to criticism (I have blogger friends who are basically cyber-bullied), but when you opt to put your life and your creations on the internet, the trolls or just really mean people will find you.
People would ask me what the meanest things were that people have said to me and for the longest time I never really had a response. One time someone tried to tell me U of T was better than McGill (ummmmm no.) but that was the worst of it.
But then I experienced a post going viral and all of that changed. So we’re not just gonna take about these banana bars today, okay?
No matter how many times you test your recipes, there will always be that vocal person who insists on telling you how much they hate it. I welcome any and all feedback, but when you’re just straight-up rude you don’t warrant a response.
For the longest time I held onto these comments. I would ruminate on them and insist on finding out what went wrong in the process (because 95% of the time they tried to substitute half the recipe and it failed), but I’ve now learned to let them go.
There was a point in time when I chose not to post anything baked because inevitably there would be a comment or 10 about how much someone hated the recipe. I should add that these are almost always overwhelmed by comments from people who LOVED the recipe, but it’s easy to focus on the hate.
What I’ve come to understand is that everyone goes into a recipe (and especially baked goods!) with a different set of tools, skills and expectations. We have different ovens, different altitudes, different ingredients, different abilities to read directions (arghhhhh) and most notably, different tastebuds.
When I label something as “healthy” I anticipate that most people know it won’t taste like a sugar and butter-filled Betty Crocker brownie, but apparently this is a bit presumptuous.
But if I let every comment affect me, we wouldn’t be here, would we?
So yeah, these banana quinoa breakfast bars have quinoa in them, and they’re vegan and they taste nothing like a slice of starbucks banana bread. But they’re also made with love and care for my mind, body and soul.
Haters gon hate. I’ll be over in the corner eating my banana bars and scheming about taking over the world.Print
Banana Quinoa Breakfast Bars
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 9-12 bars
- 1 cup rolled oats (gluten-free, if necessary)
- 1 cup uncooked white quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp natural peanut butter (other nut and seed butters will work)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, softened
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- optional: 1/4-1/2 cup add-ins like chocolate chips, coconut, chopped dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray or grease a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with coconut oil
- In a large bowl combine rolled oats, quinoa, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Add in bananas, flax, peanut butter, coconut oil and maple syrup. Stir until well-combined.
- Sprinkle with optional add-ins.
- Let batter sit for 10 mins to let flax absorb some liquid.
- Add batter to baking dish and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 25 mins or until edges are crisp and center is cooked through.
- Let sit for 20 mins before cutting into 9-12 squares and allow to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for longer.
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!