Need dinner in a hurry? This Easy Thai Basil Vegetable Stir Fry makes a hearty, but veggie-packed meal for those nights when you’re low on time and energy.
If you guys watched my recent Spring Favorites video, you may have heard me chat about my cookbook collection. I collect -I prefer to collect to “hoard”, which may be a more accurate description- cookbooks.
Despite being someone who loves food and recipes, I rarely buy cookbooks for the actual recipes. I love being inspired by the pictures and the writing and the blood, sweat and tears that went into the book. I may make a recipe or two, but even if I do, I almost always make enough changes that the original recipe is barely even there.
It’s the reason I write a blog and don’t just make recipes from others!
Basically, I’m every cookbook author’s worst nightmare.
One of the books I recently picked up was Chrissy Teigen’s Cravings. I personally think she’s hilarious and love how much she loves food. A girl after my own heart. I really just wanted to get some insight on what goes down in her kitchen so I bought her book.
Okay fine, I’m really just obsessed with her and John and ultimate hope to emulate their relationship by turning C into a black, gospel singer and me into a half-asian model/actress/chef.
We’re like basically there, right?
I decided to try a version of her Thai Basil Chicken, and despite the fact that my version looks nothing like hers (uhhhhh there’s no chicken in it, duh) I really loved how it turned out. I’ve made a version with chicken and it was equally as good (I’ll include instructions with how to cook it with chicken), but wanted to offer an easy veggie version for when you need a light, but filling dinner that won’t leave you cooking for hours.
So to every cookbook author out there who’s recipes I’ve butchered, I apologize. You can rest easy knowing that people will likely to the same to me one day. I mean whaaaaat?Print
Easy Thai Basil Vegetable Stir Fry
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: Thai
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 cup uncooked rice, cooked according to package instruction (I like short-grain brown rice)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups snap peas, trimmed
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups thai basil (regular basil will work too)
for the sauce:
- Cook rice as indicated and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine all sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Add coconut oil to a large pot and melt over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and sauté for one minute. It should brown but not burn. Watch closely.
- Add in broccoli, bell pepper, snap pees and carrots.
- Top with sauce and cover pot with a lid.
- Allow veggies to steam for about 3 mins or until desired crispness is achieved.
- Stir in basil and cook for 1-2 mins or until basil has wilted completely.
- Serve over rice.
*if you’d like to add chicken, add to pot immediately after cooking garlic. Saute in pot for several minutes on each side to help it cook through before topping with veggies and sauce. Then continue cooking as directed.
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!