Need dinner in a hurry? This Easy Thai Basil Vegetable Stir Fry makes a hearty, but veggie-packed meal for those nights when you’re low on time and energy.
Are you a cookbook hoarder collector?! I have quite the cookbook collection and there is no shame in my game!
Yes, I buy the cookbooks for the recipes but I actually love the pictures and the writing just as much, if not more than the food! I am “that person” that completely changes up the recipe depending on what I have in my kitchen or what I’m feeling that night… so while I do love getting new inspiration for dishes, I rarely follow them to a tee!
I recently picked up Chrissy Teigen’s Cravings cookbook and was so impressed! I think she’s hilarious and I love how much she loves food. She had a recipe for Thai Basil Chicken which inspired me to make my own vegetable version. My version is really nothing like hers but it’s so delicious!
Thai Basil Vegetable Stir Fry Ingredients
- Rice – for serving. I like short-grain brown rice but you can use white rice or cauliflower rice too!
- Vegetables – broccoli, bell pepper, snap peas, carrots, and garlic cloves.
- Coconut oil – a high heat oil that is great for stir frys.
- Thai basil – if you can’t find Thai basil, regular basil works as well!
- Stir fry sauce – a delicious combination of tamari, fish sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and coconut sugar.
How to make Thai Basil Stir Fry
STEP 1: Cook the rice according to package directions and set aside.
STEP 2: In a small bowl, mix the sauce ingredients and set aside.
STEP 3: Add coconut oil to a large pot and melt over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saute for one minute or until fragrant. Add in the broccoli, bell pepper, snap peas and carrots.
STEP 4: Add the sauce to the pan with the vegetables and cover the pot with a lid. Allow veggies to steam in the sauce for about 3 minutes.
STEP 5: Stir in the basil and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes or until the basil has wilted completely.
STEP 6: Serve over rice and enjoy!
Can I add protein?
Absolutely! This would be delicious with tofu or chicken. I recommend adding either protein to the pot after cooking the garlic. Sauté until lightly browned on each side and then add the vegetables and sauce and follow the rest of the recipe as directed.
How to Store Leftovers
If you have any leftovers you can store them all in an airtight container. I like to store my rice and vegetables together to save on dishes and for easy reheating but you can store separately if you’d like! Store in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.Print
Easy Thai Basil Vegetable Stir Fry
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: Thai
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 cup uncooked rice, cooked according to package instruction (I like short-grain brown rice)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups snap peas, trimmed
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups thai basil (regular basil will work too)
for the sauce:
- Cook rice as indicated and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine all sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Add coconut oil to a large pot and melt over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and sauté for one minute. It should brown but not burn. Watch closely.
- Add in broccoli, bell pepper, snap pees and carrots.
- Top with sauce and cover pot with a lid.
- Allow veggies to steam for about 3 mins or until desired crispness is achieved.
- Stir in basil and cook for 1-2 mins or until basil has wilted completely.
- Serve over rice.
*if you’d like to add chicken, add to pot immediately after cooking garlic. Saute in pot for several minutes on each side to help it cook through before topping with veggies and sauce. Then continue cooking as directed.
Like this post? Here are others you might enjoy:
- Thai Basil Tofu
- Thai Peanut Quinoa Bake
- Veggie Pad Thai
- Curried Thai Coconut Ramen
- Thai Turkey Burgers with Peanut Sauce
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!