blogging

Embracing The Change

November 25, 2013

Well that was fun. By “that” I mean this weekend, and by “fun” I mean just kidding. Want to know what I did this weekend? Look around! Looks kind of different right?

If you’re new here, I’ve made some massive changes to the blog. First, the whole blog has been redesigned and second, I transferred it to WordPress. Word to the wise, if you ever decide to start a blog make it in WordPress off the bat! The next few months will be spent going through each post and fixing the alignment, pictures, recipes etc… and attempting to figure out what the hell a plugin/widget/theme is. Unless you’re as neurotic as I am you probably won’t notice these issues, but forgive me if you’re not able to access anything or a post is illegible.

So why the change? I’m not certain I can cover all the reasons in one post but I’ll start with the biggest. I’ve changed. In hindsight, starting the blog was in some way the first step in my self-growth and discovery.

Cha's Mcgill Graduation 149I’m not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but I have always tried to do a lot of things “right”. I got into a good college, did well in school, got a great job, lived in the greatest city in the world and repeated the process over in Toronto. Despite all of these things I can’t say I’ve ever felt truly content with my life. Objectively I knew I had all of the means to be happy, but I just couldn’t accept it as enough. Just because I was doing everything “right” doesn’t mean that it was right for me. Writing about my life has forced me to think a lot more about myself and the path I’ve chosen. And truth-be-told, both of these needed and continue to need a lot of work.

I’ve always been one to shy away from change. I like my routine, the predictability of it, the comfort of it, but it got to a point where my reliance on my routine was preventing me from growth. I was scared to break away from it and accept that it’s okay to make mistakes, be inconsistent and not do the “right” thing all the time. Starting the blog was a huge step for me in getting over this fear. I put my life up for display and therefore public scrutiny on an almost daily basis. The important thing here is not the response I get, but the fact that I’ve chosen to accept your responses, whatever they may be.

It is never too late to become what you might have beenKnowing that I can handle both criticism and praise has given me the confidence to make massive leaps in my life that I otherwise would not have had the courage to do. I know I’m being elusive with the details of these changes, but I will share them when the time is right. What I am trying to say is that in more ways than one the blog has been the catalyst to immense growth in who I am as a person and how I want to live my life. Moving forward I want my blog to reflect these changes and I’m sure as I continue to evolve the blog will too.

To cap things off I need to give Julie from Deluxe Designs a HUGE thank you for transferring my blog and designing it from scratch. But mostly for responding to my incessant emails and not hating me for making you change something 3 times (or at least not telling me that you hate me!). And also to Lee who kept me calm through the transfer process and for doing god-knows-what to my dashboard. You now have the ability to hijack my blog and post all the horrible selfies I send you daily. But please don’t.

Instead of shying away from it, I’m embracing the change. Let’s consider this Davida/The Healthy Maven 2.o ๐Ÿ˜‰

IMG_3757

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Have you ever felt like you needed to change yourself/your life? What steps did you take to make those changes?

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake
    November 26, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I love the new look. Its really fresh.
    I’m totally the same as you, I’ve always hated change, but recently, I’ve started to embrace change as well.
    Thank you for sharing, Davida.

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    November 26, 2013 at 11:47 am

You remind me of me…change is scary for me too, even the good change. It’s something I continue to struggle with but thankfully my husband is a huge support system. I’m loving the new blog format! ๐Ÿ™‚ Looks g-r-e-a-t! (sorry, channeling Tony the Tiger…if you remember him from the old cereal commercials ๐Ÿ˜‰ )
    Kudos to you for embracing change!

Parita @ myinnershakti
    November 26, 2013 at 9:35 am

Love the message behind this post AND your new design! Can’t wait to see what’s in store for The Healthy Maven 2.0!

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    November 26, 2013 at 9:30 am

I love the new look! Im in the process of switching my blog over to self hosted right now, and it makes me a bit nervous that I’m going to do something wrong.

Ksenija @ With An Open Mind
    November 26, 2013 at 6:13 am

Oh girl the hassle was totally worth it. Your new design looks awesome and I bet you will love all the different opportunities wordpress offers once you figured them out. I am still making adjustments to my blog on a regular base and coding can be a pain in the a**. But when it all turns out as you wished for, you are so happy to see things made with your own hands coming out of your own mind. Good luck with Healthy Maven 2.0, I cannot wait to see what else is yet to come!

Melissa @ Fit 'n' Well Mommy
    November 26, 2013 at 12:56 am

I love the new design! Change is definitely not easy. I’m definitely one for predictability and sticking to a routine, so change is always hard for me. But, like others have said, you have to trust yourself and just go for it. If you don’t take risks, then what is life about?

November 26, 2013 at 12:21 am

Good for you love!! You’re so right, it’s NEVER too late to make a change towards a happier, therefore healthier, you! I’m with you on blog backend stuff driving you nuts — it bugs me to no end when I can’t figure out how to make something work right!

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    November 25, 2013 at 10:26 pm

OMGEEEEE! I had to do a double take because I thought I was on someone else’s blog!! Thank you so much for transferring, I won’t lie to you, as much as I ADORE your web site, your old site was VERY SLOW to load on my computers!!! This one is a BREEZE!!!

Sarah Pie
    November 25, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Cheers to you for taking the plunge and making a change! I for one love the new layout, it’s very clean and fresh. I also love that you’re doing something that scares you a bit by going off and trying new things (it’s good for the soul) ๐Ÿ™‚

November 25, 2013 at 9:38 pm

This post didn’t show up in my reader… weird! I’m glad I saw it on Twitter. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Basically I just want to say I love this! I think everyone gets to a point in their life where they want to make changes in one way or another, but it can be scary. I can definitely relate – changing degrees was a huge leap, but I’m forever thankful that I decided to take that chance. Whatever new path you’re on, I wish you luck and I can’t wait to read all about it! <3

November 25, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Way to embrace change!!!
    I can’t wait to follow along with all of your changes!
    And, your site is looking great!

Sarah @ My (Mostly) Healthy Life
    November 25, 2013 at 9:13 pm

OMG Girl I’m so proud of youuuu!! You’ve blossomed before my eyes! You’re totally a blogging rock star and I’m so envious of how great and amazing and popular you’ve gotten! Totally deserved ;). Love you!

1 4 5 6 7