No need to spend hours frying and smelling up your house with these Easy and Healthy Baked Latkes. They’re perfect for Hanukkah or a delicious dinner side recipe. You would never know they’re gluten-free and vegan too!
I have conflicted feelings towards Hanukkah. On the one hand I have the most amazing memories celebrating it with family and friends, but on the other hand I remember feeling incredibly left-out being one of the few people in school who celebrated it.
I have to give credit to my parents who went out of their way to bring Hanukkah to my school by showing up with dreidels, latkes, jelly donuts and my guitar-playing Dad to make me feel a little less alone. Here’s a little gem from our glory days:
Should have taken that show on the road…
These days, I totally don’t mind being the only kid in school celebrating Hanukkah. A) because I’m not in school anymore and b) because it’s really about the food anyway.
Aren’t all Jewish holidays about the food? Rhetorical question.
The only downside to Jewish cooking is that it is basically the opposite of healthy. I literally can’t think of one Jewish recipe that involves a vegetable (unless you count the soggy carrots and celery in chicken soup) and the only remotely healthy recipe is probably apples and honey.
But damn does it taste good.
Truthfully, it’s probably a sin to mess with Jewish cooking and try to healthify it, but fortunately there’s no hell so I should be good-to-go. And fortunately my friend Candice from The Edgy Veg agrees so we teamed up to create some healthier Jewish recipe options for Hanukkah!
Watch us whip up Easy and Healthy Baked Latkes that are gluten-free, vegan and have a paleo option!
I can honestly say that all I want for Hanukkah this year is 8 nights of these Healthy Baked Latkes. I’ve already made 3 rounds of them and it isn’t even Hanukkah yet! You are actually going to be mind-blown at how easy and tasty they are. And best of all, they aren’t baked!
So watch the video, stock up on potatoes and preheat that oven because Hanukkah is almost here and you’re gonna need to make these latkes to celebrate!Print
Healthy Baked Latkes – Gluten-Free + Vegan
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: about 20 latkes 1x
- Category: Side
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax, mixed with 3 tbsp warm water and let sit for 10 mins)
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and grated (I use my food processor with grater attachment)
- 1 medium onion, grated (I use my food processor with grater attachment)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten-free, if necessary)*
- 1/2 cup oat flour (gluten-free, if necessary)*
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted + more for pan
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- For serving: unsweetened applesauce, sour cream etc…
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray or rub two baking sheets with coconut oil.
- Make flax egg and set aside.
- Grate potatoes using cheese grater or food processor. Place potatoes inside a dishcloth or cheesecloth to squeeze out liquid. This will remove most of the starch from the potatoes.
- Grate onions and add to potato mixture (no need to squeeze out liquid)
- Add in rolled oats, oat flour, coconut oil, flax egg, sea salt and pepper.
- Grab about a 1/4 cup of the mixture using your hands and form into a ball.
- Place in baking sheet and then flatten slightly.
- Repeat until all of mixture has been using.
- Place in the oven to bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and flip carefully. Bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Serve warm with desired dipping condiment.
*Can be omitted (as in video) for a paleo-option, however they may not be as firm. They will still taste delicious!
Don’t forget to head over to Candice’s channel to check out our video for Vegan Matzo Ball Soup. It was AMAZING and totally rounded out our Jewish classics.
Do you celebrate Hanukkah? Have you ever made latkes before?
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!