A recipe for Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake made with a secret ingredient! High in protein, and without any refined sugar, your celebrations will be the perfect combo of decadent and healthy!
Bear with me while all of this week’s posts are somewhat inspired by my impending day of birth. Clearly it’s the only thing on my mind. But it did give me an excuse to whip up a cake! Better yet, a cookie cake!
My favorite dessert has and will always be cookies. It’s probably why I have so many cookie recipes on the blog. But birthdays require cake (or cupcakes!) so this year I decided to jump into the great big world of cookie cakes. I truly had no idea what I was getting myself into…
In true maven fashion, I couldn’t possibly have a classic cookie cake. My conditions: 1) It had to be healthy – I do think that birthdays are a great excuse to get a little wild but if you can make it healthy and have it taste just as good, then why they heck not?! and 2) Trick everyone into eating a dessert with a hidden ingredient- because I am evil like that.
I suppose there was probably some sort of message buried deep in this story. Actually it probably wasn’t so deep considering I’m pretty sure the final version’s ingredients included a solid cup of perseverance.
Which brings me to today’s birthday week lesson, never giving up.
I’ve never been someone who gives up on anything easily, in fact I’d say I have a hard time letting go of things more than I do in following through. While in Sunday’s post, we talked about the pressure I often put on myself to do the things I think I “should”, I am also learning more about my somewhat more admirable qualities as I get older.
One of the most powerful lessons I’ve learned as I’ve gotten older is that anything worth doing in life is never easy. There are moments of strife and challenge, but the feeling of satisfaction from following through on these moments (that are basically screaming at you to give up) is always always worth it.
It’s part of the reason why I am always trying out new things or delving outside of my comfort zone.
I wouldn’t be here writing this blog, running it as a full-time business or stuffing my face with this healthy chocolate chip cookie cake if I gave up too easily. So even though I’m a year older (on Thursday!), I am grateful for the skills I have learned over the years. Let’s cheers to that!Print
Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8-12 slices (depending how you cut it) 1x
- 1 19 ounce can chickpeas*, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- Optional: 2 T rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 10 inch cast-iron skillet or a circular pan with coconut oil.
- In a food processor (or blender) combine chickpeas and almond butter.
- Add in egg and egg yolk and process until they all come together and all chickpeas are broken up.
- Add in coconut sugar, vanilla and baking soda and process until well combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and rainbow sprinkles, reserving some to sprinkle on top.
- Add batter to skillet or pan and top with a few chocolate chips in sprinkles.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes before slicing and removing from pan.
- Will keep for up to 2-3 days in an airtight container on the counter.
*I’m told that these are difficult to find in the US so this comes out to 1 3/4 cup chickpeas
If you think this is all you’re getting from birthday week lessons, you’re out of luck (LOLz). Stay tuned for Thursday (i.e. my birthday) where I’m sharing all sorts of Maven wisdom acquired over my 25 years.
Cookie Cakes, yay or nay? Tell me a story of how you’ve persevered!
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!