One of the biggest things I miss about New York is easy access to delicious and authentic Mexican food. True, Toronto definitely has a growing Mexican foodie scene but most of the restaurants are uber trendy and impossible to get into (i’m looking at you Playa Cabana and La Carnita).
I’m talking about about the classics like Arroz con Pollo and pork tamales. Not to mention the fact that I’m a bit of a guacamole princess. I know the good stuff…So since moving back to Toronto, when i’m yearning for some Mexican food I always seem to end up whipping up a dish at home.
If you haven’t noticed by now my blog tends to consist of healthy recipes I create in my kitchen and indulgent food I eat in others 🙂 Since this is Mexican de la cocina de Davida I opted for a healthy recipe. By no means can I claim this as an authentic dish but if you’re having a craving for Mexican food this will definitely hit the spot.
Mexican Fiesta Bowl
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
For the Mexican Fried Rice:
- 1 cup of already prepared white or brown rice
- ½ bell pepper
- ½ yellow onion
- 1.5 T coconut oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1 T parsley
- Juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
For the roasted sweet potatoes:
- 1 large sweet potato, diced (option to remove skins)
- Olive oil spray
- Sea salt
For the bowls:
- 1 large piece of already prepared chicken breast, shredded
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- 8 large pieces of lettuce- to be used as wraps or shredded if making a salad
- Cholula sauce-do not skimp on this, it makes the dish
For Sweet potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Dice sweet potatoes and spray with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Roast in oven for 25-30 mins or until golden brown.
For Mexican Fried Rice:
- Sautee bell pepper and onion in coconut oil over medium heat for 5-10 mins or until soft. Add in garlic and sautee for another minute.
- Add in rice and stir to combine.
- Mix in spices and salt and top with parsley.
To assemble bowls:
- If making wraps lay out 8 pieces of lettuce. If making a salad shred lettuce.
- Top each wrap/salad bowl with fried rice, diced avocado, chopped tomato, roasted sweet potato and chicken.
- Drizzle generously with Cholula sauce, depending upon spice level.
- Serving Size: 4
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!