breakfast gluten-free oatmeal/granola vegan

Mocha Overnight Oats

February 25, 2014

First off, THM wants to say thank you for all of your wonderful birthday wishes! Yes, I consider my blog it’s own entity. No, I’m not ashamed of this. But fo realz you guys are awesome. I may or may not have cried.

Back to today’s recipe. We’re talking oats. I’m fairly certain the last time we talked oats I was complaining of sweltering weather and training for a half-marathon. Those days are loooooong gone, but fortunately the oatmeal is still kicking. I took a little hiatus from my morning oats after the copious amounts of granola I made sucked me in (for the record granola is now officially banned since I cannot control myself), but I’m back on the warm oatmeal train and I’m feeling gooooood.

mocha overnight oatsYou know what else makes me feel good? Coffee. My introduction to coffee was so cliche…Starbucks. A grande sugar-free hazelnut soy cafe misto to be exact. Otherwise known as, my life’s savings. But then I decided to become a psych major in my third year which entailed 14 psych courses in 2 years and the harder stuff was required. By harder I’m talking grande bold black. Don’t worry people, I only get high on life.

mocha overnight oats 2Deep into my coffee addiction I came across the anti-coffee camp and I had a freak out that I was single-handedly destroying my health. Naturally, my obsessive self took to tea and began building what might be considered the world’s largest tea collection (50+ teas). I love tea and I always will but I’ve recently discovered that I am actually a better person after coffee. I’m nicer, more patient, increasingly productive and just plain happier.

So just like my oats, coffee is back. I figured I may as well combine the two in this Mocha Overnight Oats recipe.

Mocha Overnight Oats

by The Healthy Maven

Prep Time: 5 mins

Cook Time: Overnight (at least 6 hours)

Keywords: no-bake breakfast gluten-free dairy-free chocolate oats mocha

Ingredients (serves: 1)

• 1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if necessary)
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 ripe banana, sliced and chopped
  • 1 tsp honey/maple syrup/ agave/other sweetener (or omit if you don’t like too sweet)
  • 1/2 cup brewed coffee

1. Brew coffee using preferred method.

2. Add oats, cocoa powder, and chia seeds to a medium mason jar or air-tight container.

3. Add in bananas, honey and coffee.

4. Cover and shake until well combined.

5. Place in refrigerator overnight or for at least 6 hours.

6. Eat cold or heat up in the microwave for 1 minute.

Powered by Recipage
Featured on: Wellness Weekends
mocha overnight oats 3

Coffee or tea? Do you go through breakfast phases?

kaitlin @4loveofcarrots
    February 25, 2014 at 8:16 am

oh woah! things just got serious in the overnight oats world!! I cannot wait to make these, I am a coffee addict and love me some overnight oats!

Juli @1000lovelythings
    February 25, 2014 at 8:05 am

I am a coffee person. I just don’t function properly decaf! Everytime I try to go off coffee I am just plain miserable. So I gave up on the whole thing and accepted that there is no life without the delicious comforting liquid!
    I go through crazy breakfast phases. My longest was oatmeal so far (approx. 7 month) then came Green Smoothies, Yoghurt Bowls, Banana Egg Bakes and now I am desperately deep stuck in a Smoothie phase for which I blame Amanda.
    This recipe sounds and looks very intriguing and I’ll definitely give it a try as soon as I can get away from the Smoothies!
    By the way I am so in love with your pretty pictures!

February 26, 2014 at 8:17 pm

was it her oatmeal smoothie that did it?!?! Because it looks amazing and if it weren’t so cold here I would totally make it!

Juli @ 1000lovelythings
        February 27, 2014 at 12:05 am

Yes the oatmeal smoothie. I drink it almost every day πŸ˜€ It’s way too addicting! Make it soon! But prepare mentally for never liking other smoothier ever again πŸ˜‰

Mayra
          February 28, 2014 at 8:38 am

Excuse me here πŸ™‚
          I blame Amanda for my obsession with smoothies as well. I had been having oatmeal as breakfast for like 6 months, and the she came up with the Thick and Creamy Chocolate smoothie. They are rocking my mornings now. And afternoon snacks. And sometimes after dinner.

Brittany
    February 25, 2014 at 7:55 am

Before I jump (somewhat) off topic, I will say I love my tea, but coffee wins hands down. I see nothing wrong with a small cup everyday!! I may work at Starbucks (and yes, totally cliche haha, in fact while in Portland exploring coffee shops I didn’t dare tell anyone where I worked. I surely would have been laughed at.) but I don’t drink that much coffee!! I limit myself because it’s easy to overdo it. I USUALLY keep it between 8-12 oz a day, but sometimes I have a little more. ALWAYS black coffee though. ANYWAY this recipe looks great, and your photos are even greater. Yeah, that was a terrible sentence but you get it.

NOW I feel the need to share this because of the french press in your photos..I had the same one..and by had I mean I literally (10 minutes ago) JUST BROKE MINE!!! I went to make my coffee this morning and I hit the glass with another piece of glass and boom..shatter. Right as my water kettle started to steam…so I figured out how to get my coffee through a makeshift way…I’m sort of proud actually. ANd now I must buy a new press!

February 26, 2014 at 8:15 pm

omg I am legit devastated for you!!! And to have to deal with a broken french press BEFORE having coffee is even worse! I hope it all worked out!

p.s I am totally impressed with your coffee self-restraint

erin @ The Almond Eater
    February 25, 2014 at 7:30 am

MMM girl I love me some mocha. I’m definitely way more of a coffee person–my actual first coffee was the Java Chip from Starbucks–does that even count? It’s mostly just chocolate. Anyway, I only drink one cup of coffee per day but I’m trying to drink one cup of tea also since tea is good for you. Trying is the key word.

February 26, 2014 at 8:13 pm

omg I totally forgot about the java chip frap!!!! That was definitely my intro to starbucks actually although you can barely taste the coffee at all!

Jen @ SavedbytheKale
    February 25, 2014 at 7:21 am

Coffee, Coffee, Coffee! I love tea but life is just blah without coffee. I’ve tried giving it up, but it’s just better for everyone if I just have it πŸ™‚

Madison
    February 25, 2014 at 7:19 am

Turbo-charged Oats TO the Rescue!!! πŸ™‚

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    February 25, 2014 at 7:16 am

I’m actually not the biggest fan of either tea or coffee, but I still like tea a lot better. I could use this recipe as inspiration for some sort of tea-based overnight oats πŸ˜€
    Overnight oats are my favorite, so I’m always in that phase, but I also go through yogurt bowl phases where I’ll have one every other day.

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness
    February 25, 2014 at 6:30 am

OH so I can have my morning cup ‘o coffee and my oats TOGETHER?! Genius!
    P.s Who am I kidding…more that morning 6 billion cups ‘o coffee.
    Love this breakfast idea! And that orange pot thing!!

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    February 25, 2014 at 6:23 am

Coffee. No question. Sometimes I want tea but it is no substitute in any way…I used to eat the exact same English muffin with peanut butter for breakfast every single morning for easily 7 years straight. Now I rotate a bit more between oatmeal varieties (hot, cold) and I change up the mix-ins but my breakfast must always contain peanut butter.

Jess @dearhealthyness
    February 25, 2014 at 6:16 am

I go through breakfast phases. My current obsession is oatmeal smoothies!! Precisely Chocolate Oatmeal Smoothies! Oh I’m a fan. What I’m not a fan is coffee. It doesn’t wake me up, I can live without it and I’m totally fine with it. However, I know way too many people that can’t live without it. I still don’t get it, jum I guess I’ll stick to chocolate πŸ˜‰

Jessie
    February 25, 2014 at 5:11 am

I believe i remember you saying just the other week how you hadn’t conquered the dripping syrup yet for your pancakes – well I’d say pouring coffee and taking a photo is the exact same! Looks delicious, Davida!

February 25, 2014 at 5:06 am

I LOVED making my oats with coffee as the liquid but often used decaf so I could have full strength with it. Since starting work, my coffee consumption has gone CRAZY and as such, my tolerance is becoming redundant!

Can I just give a Hail Mary (or a mazel tov) to your photography. Amazing.

1 2 3 6