breakfast gluten-free oatmeal/granola vegan

Mocha Overnight Oats

February 25, 2014

First off, THM wants to say thank you for all of your wonderful birthday wishes! Yes, I consider my blog it’s own entity. No, I’m not ashamed of this. But fo realz you guys are awesome. I may or may not have cried.

Back to today’s recipe. We’re talking oats. I’m fairly certain the last time we talked oats I was complaining of sweltering weather and training for a half-marathon. Those days are loooooong gone, but fortunately the oatmeal is still kicking. I took a little hiatus from my morning oats after the copious amounts of granola I made sucked me in (for the record granola is now officially banned since I cannot control myself), but I’m back on the warm oatmeal train and I’m feeling gooooood.

mocha overnight oatsYou know what else makes me feel good? Coffee. My introduction to coffee was so cliche…Starbucks. A grande sugar-free hazelnut soy cafe misto to be exact. Otherwise known as, my life’s savings. But then I decided to become a psych major in my third year which entailed 14 psych courses in 2 years and the harder stuff was required. By harder I’m talking grande bold black. Don’t worry people, I only get high on life.

mocha overnight oats 2Deep into my coffee addiction I came across the anti-coffee camp and I had a freak out that I was single-handedly destroying my health. Naturally, my obsessive self took to tea and began building what might be considered the world’s largest tea collection (50+ teas). I love tea and I always will but I’ve recently discovered that I am actually a better person after coffee. I’m nicer, more patient, increasingly productive and just plain happier.

So just like my oats, coffee is back. I figured I may as well combine the two in this Mocha Overnight Oats recipe.

Mocha Overnight Oats

by The Healthy Maven

Prep Time: 5 mins

Cook Time: Overnight (at least 6 hours)

Keywords: no-bake breakfast gluten-free dairy-free chocolate oats mocha

Ingredients (serves: 1)

• 1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if necessary)
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 ripe banana, sliced and chopped
  • 1 tsp honey/maple syrup/ agave/other sweetener (or omit if you don’t like too sweet)
  • 1/2 cup brewed coffee

1. Brew coffee using preferred method.

2. Add oats, cocoa powder, and chia seeds to a medium mason jar or air-tight container.

3. Add in bananas, honey and coffee.

4. Cover and shake until well combined.

5. Place in refrigerator overnight or for at least 6 hours.

6. Eat cold or heat up in the microwave for 1 minute.

Powered by Recipage
Featured on: Wellness Weekends
mocha overnight oats 3

Coffee or tea? Do you go through breakfast phases?

PB&Jess
    February 25, 2014 at 10:11 am

WHY HAVE I NEVER USED COFFEE FOR OVERNIGHT OATS??

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    February 25, 2014 at 10:05 am

Coffee IN oats…..I’m obsessed. Would it be weird if I ate this alongside a cup of joe? I think not.

February 26, 2014 at 9:38 pm

I totally did…next year at christmastime I’m getting Tjs gingerbread coffee and making this again. Stupid TJs in Minneapolis was all out…not cool.

p.s. any current TJ favourites? Going to NYC in 2 weeks and wanna stock up.

February 25, 2014 at 9:52 am

Oh be still my heart! Oats and coffee… awe, bliss! My two favorite things…. well, after peanut butter. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    February 25, 2014 at 9:17 am

My day doesn’t begin truly until I have my coffee (with coconut milk, of course). Obviously mocha is one of the best flavors in the universe ever created ever, so undoubtedly these oats are amazing. I would probably add almond milk to this because I like my OOs a little creamier. And now that I look back at what I just typed, it looks like I’m sending you dirty comments about boobies. I’m not, I swear.

Katie @ 24 Carrot Life
    February 25, 2014 at 9:10 am

Ok why can’t I be funny and witty like you in my posts?! Teach me your ways! I am making this oatmeal for tomorrow. Can’t wait.

February 26, 2014 at 9:33 pm

I’m impressed you think I’m witty! When we meet IRL (we will!) you’ll be surprised by how unwitty I am…mostly just a total loser. Ask Lora ๐Ÿ˜‰

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat
    February 25, 2014 at 8:46 am

LOVE! This will definitely be happening in my kitchen asap, especially since I have all the ingredients at home right now. Yay!

February 25, 2014 at 8:43 am

I’m definitely a tea person over coffee, but I think I could do these oats. I don’t coffee as in to drink, but I like things flavoured with coffee (read: coffee ice cream). So…yup. I could do this.
    And definitely on the breakfast phases. Lately, it’s been either protein pancakes or oatmeal with eggs. Now I just need to decide which one I’m going to have today….

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    February 25, 2014 at 8:32 am

I am definitely a better person after coffee. Any of my co-workers can attest to that, haha. I need it so much that I have an espresso maker at home and a coffee pot in my office. I’ve tried the tea thing and I just can’t replace my coffee! That said, these overnight oats look exactly like something I need in my life. I never thought to use coffee in overnight oats, but I love it!

Sarah @ the brain and body
    February 25, 2014 at 8:31 am

Ironic, I talked about cooking with tea in my post today too ๐Ÿ™‚ my breakfasts definitely come in phases hut I haven’t had an oats one in a long time I miss them, I think I should start back up with the recipe because it looks incredible!

February 26, 2014 at 9:30 pm

I love cooking with tea too! Try making oats with teavana’s creme brulee tea. It’s unreal!

Erin S
    February 25, 2014 at 8:30 am

I also try to avoid granola in my house because I devour it at an unnatural rate! So nice to find another granola monster ๐Ÿ™‚ This oatmeal looks fantastic. My fiance lives for coffee and I’ve recently got him eating oatmeal in the morning (yay). This recipe will definitely make him one happy man! Thanks for another great one!

February 26, 2014 at 9:29 pm

The day I convince my man to eat oatmeal for breakfast is when I know I’ve made it lol! He might succumb to it now that I’ve banned granola…

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    February 25, 2014 at 8:26 am

You know what a huge coffee and oat fan I am, so I obviously love this!! I’ve actually thought about trying it, but never have. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sarah Pie
    February 25, 2014 at 8:24 am

I should probably consider banning granola since I just ate a whole batch in 2 days…. but it’s soooo good! I’m sending this link on to my coffee obsessed friend who I know will appreciate it (and I’ll just sit here pining for your tea collection) ๐Ÿ™‚

February 26, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Thanks Sarah!!! Hope she enjoys. And I just replaced granola with chocolate chip cookies. Bad idea…

1 2 3 4 6