breakfast gluten-free oatmeal/granola vegan

Mocha Overnight Oats

February 25, 2014

First off, THM wants to say thank you for all of your wonderful birthday wishes! Yes, I consider my blog it’s own entity. No, I’m not ashamed of this. But fo realz you guys are awesome. I may or may not have cried.

Back to today’s recipe. We’re talking oats. I’m fairly certain the last time we talked oats I was complaining of sweltering weather and training for a half-marathon. Those days are loooooong gone, but fortunately the oatmeal is still kicking. I took a little hiatus from my morning oats after the copious amounts of granola I made sucked me in (for the record granola is now officially banned since I cannot control myself), but I’m back on the warm oatmeal train and I’m feeling gooooood.

mocha overnight oatsYou know what else makes me feel good? Coffee. My introduction to coffee was so cliche…Starbucks. A grande sugar-free hazelnut soy cafe misto to be exact. Otherwise known as, my life’s savings. But then I decided to become a psych major in my third year which entailed 14 psych courses in 2 years and the harder stuff was required. By harder I’m talking grande bold black. Don’t worry people, I only get high on life.

mocha overnight oats 2Deep into my coffee addiction I came across the anti-coffee camp and I had a freak out that I was single-handedly destroying my health. Naturally, my obsessive self took to tea and began building what might be considered the world’s largest tea collection (50+ teas). I love tea and I always will but I’ve recently discovered that I am actually a better person after coffee. I’m nicer, more patient, increasingly productive and just plain happier.

So just like my oats, coffee is back. I figured I may as well combine the two in this Mocha Overnight Oats recipe.

Mocha Overnight Oats

by The Healthy Maven

Prep Time: 5 mins

Cook Time: Overnight (at least 6 hours)

Keywords: no-bake breakfast gluten-free dairy-free chocolate oats mocha

Ingredients (serves: 1)

• 1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if necessary)
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 ripe banana, sliced and chopped
  • 1 tsp honey/maple syrup/ agave/other sweetener (or omit if you don’t like too sweet)
  • 1/2 cup brewed coffee

1. Brew coffee using preferred method.

2. Add oats, cocoa powder, and chia seeds to a medium mason jar or air-tight container.

3. Add in bananas, honey and coffee.

4. Cover and shake until well combined.

5. Place in refrigerator overnight or for at least 6 hours.

6. Eat cold or heat up in the microwave for 1 minute.

Powered by Recipage
Featured on: Wellness Weekends
mocha overnight oats 3

Coffee or tea? Do you go through breakfast phases?

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table
    February 26, 2014 at 9:02 am

I make this in hotel rooms all the time! It’s a hack version, using chocolate protein powder that I bring… I need to to try your gourmet one at home. It looks amazing!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    February 26, 2014 at 4:23 am

Tea drinker all the way! Years ago when I was a coffee addict I would have loved this recipe but now I would love them as chocolate oats only minus the coffee << Total fusspot right here.

I am in friggin love with the adorable serving dish you used to put it in, too cute πŸ™‚

February 26, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Aw thanks Jan!!! I feel like I read an email from you in my sleep last night…I need to check my phone!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
        March 6, 2014 at 7:02 am

Lol yep I’ve sent you a couple of emails but all good, I figure you’ve been busy. One was forwarding on an email addressed to you but sent to me asking to guest post πŸ˜‰

Melanie @ Happy Being Healthy
    February 26, 2014 at 12:37 am

Happy belated birthday! I’m not a coffee drinker, but your overnight oats look wonderful!!!

Kim @ Racing Bananas
    February 25, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Yum! Coffee + overnight oats = amazing!

Kierston
    February 25, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Yes please and thank you. Love the look of these overnight oats. I also love that little pot of yours!

Amanda
    February 25, 2014 at 8:45 pm

I like a good Coke Zero when I get up in the AM. I don’t think that would be a good oatmeal flavor. :/

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate
    February 25, 2014 at 8:44 pm

YUM! I cannot wait to make this!! Just pinned it πŸ™‚

Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers
    February 25, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I’m not normally an overnight oats fan, but perhaps that’s because I’ve never tried them with chocolate???

February 25, 2014 at 6:50 pm

I love coffee, but it doesn’t really love me (unless it’s decaf) – it gives me a headache and leaves me feeling not my best. So I alternate between drinking decaf coffee and orange pekoe tea in the mornings with herbal tea throughout the rest of the day.

I adore mocha flavoured foods/drinks though – this recipe looks amazing!

[email protected]
    February 25, 2014 at 6:31 pm

I’m all coffee, all the way baby, although I have been trying to incorporate a little tea into my routine. Breakfasts during the work week are usually fruit #publicbanana, smoothies, or granola with yogurt. On weekends I get a little bit more elaborate and go with eggs, potatoes, toast and on a rare occasion french toast or pancakes. This past weekend was a rare occasion, and I had French toast on Saturday and Sunday.

February 26, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I want to move into your house on the weekends. We can make french toast together and drink Mimosas. I like you πŸ™‚

[email protected]
        February 27, 2014 at 10:33 am

I’ve got a semi creepy spare bedroom with a wall to wall mural of Alice in Wonderland. You are more than welcome to camp out there.

Kim @ BusyBod
    February 25, 2014 at 5:31 pm

I’m definitely a tea person, but I used to be neither. I’m not anti-coffee or anything, I just think it’s gross. I wish I liked it, black coffee is supposed to be amazing. John on the other hand loves his coffee AND his oatmeal so I might bully him into making this and/or make it for him. πŸ™‚

February 26, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Do it!!! I might even be able to convince C to try this…he’s not an oatmeal guy πŸ™

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    February 25, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Haha, I ban food that I don’t have self control on either. I love how you turned this oat dish into a mocha delight. πŸ™‚

1 2 3 4 5 6