breakfast gluten-free oatmeal/granola vegan

Mocha Overnight Oats

February 25, 2014

First off, THM wants to say thank you for all of your wonderful birthday wishes! Yes, I consider my blog it’s own entity. No, I’m not ashamed of this. But fo realz you guys are awesome. I may or may not have cried.

Back to today’s recipe. We’re talking oats. I’m fairly certain the last time we talked oats I was complaining of sweltering weather and training for a half-marathon. Those days are loooooong gone, but fortunately the oatmeal is still kicking. I took a little hiatus from my morning oats after the copious amounts of granola I made sucked me in (for the record granola is now officially banned since I cannot control myself), but I’m back on the warm oatmeal train and I’m feeling gooooood.

mocha overnight oatsYou know what else makes me feel good? Coffee. My introduction to coffee was so cliche…Starbucks. A grande sugar-free hazelnut soy cafe misto to be exact. Otherwise known as, my life’s savings. But then I decided to become a psych major in my third year which entailed 14 psych courses in 2 years and the harder stuff was required. By harder I’m talking grande bold black. Don’t worry people, I only get high on life.

mocha overnight oats 2Deep into my coffee addiction I came across the anti-coffee camp and I had a freak out that I was single-handedly destroying my health. Naturally, my obsessive self took to tea and began building what might be considered the world’s largest tea collection (50+ teas). I love tea and I always will but I’ve recently discovered that I am actually a better person after coffee. I’m nicer, more patient, increasingly productive and just plain happier.

So just like my oats, coffee is back. I figured I may as well combine the two in this Mocha Overnight Oats recipe.

Mocha Overnight Oats

by The Healthy Maven

Prep Time: 5 mins

Cook Time: Overnight (at least 6 hours)

Keywords: no-bake breakfast gluten-free dairy-free chocolate oats mocha

Ingredients (serves: 1)

• 1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if necessary)
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 ripe banana, sliced and chopped
  • 1 tsp honey/maple syrup/ agave/other sweetener (or omit if you don’t like too sweet)
  • 1/2 cup brewed coffee

1. Brew coffee using preferred method.

2. Add oats, cocoa powder, and chia seeds to a medium mason jar or air-tight container.

3. Add in bananas, honey and coffee.

4. Cover and shake until well combined.

5. Place in refrigerator overnight or for at least 6 hours.

6. Eat cold or heat up in the microwave for 1 minute.

Powered by Recipage
Featured on: Wellness Weekends
mocha overnight oats 3

Coffee or tea? Do you go through breakfast phases?

[email protected]
    March 9, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Happy Belated Birthday, Davida, I hope you celebrated it with a great smile and wishing you a lovely year full of bliss and yummy foods! Just got back from my weeklong trip in Lima! I’ve been addicted to quinoa oatmeal lately – it was so yummy, plus gluten-free! I’m currently testing a savory overnight oats for another food blogger’s cookbook and I can’t wait to give it a try! I like my mocha frapp from Starbucks – yum for brewed coffee! Doni loves brewing cold coffee! I’m a tea person, Doni’s a coffee person, hehe!

[email protected]
      March 9, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Stunning mocha overnight oats…I want to eat some of it now for breakfast – lol, it’s only 11am here!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    March 7, 2014 at 4:24 pm

While it wasn’t my FIRST introduction to coffee, I can say that my first trip to Starbucks (to get my teacher a coffee, mind you) was a day I will never forget…the first time I ever laid tastebuds on the infamous Pumpkin Spice Latte! Aforementioned teacher gave me money to get “a little something for myself”…what she didn’t realize was that she was basically to blame for the $3965826735 dollars spent on the raging sugar/caffeine addiction that was my college years! Eventually, I did a stent in rehab and thankfully I’ve been Star-take-my-bucks free for years now. Which is better since I can now spend that money on FOOD! 😉

Have I ever gone through a breakfast phase? Ha! I go through everything in phases! I went through a HUGE tea phase for about a year…now, not so much. Please, tell me what I’m supposed to do with the like, 20 boxes I have in my pantry! PuhLEEEEEASE!

March 12, 2014 at 6:51 pm

hhahahahaha I LOVE this story.

I’m taking tea donations if interested…

Luv What You Do
    March 2, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Yum! I love mocha flavor but we don’t drink coffee so dont’ have a coffee maker or any coffee in our house : ) So random!

Deborah Davis
    March 2, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I feel like I have hit the trifecta! All three of my fave flavors in one easy creamy, delicious dish! Now I have another great reason to look forward to breakfast! I am so glad I found your mocha overnight oats recipe and your wonderful blog via Healthy Vegan Fridays! I look forward to experiencing much more! I’m subscribing, following and sharing too! All the best, Deborah

March 12, 2014 at 6:52 pm

You are so sweet Deborah!!! I love how HVF and how it connects me to so many new bloggers! Looking forward to checking out your blog 🙂

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    February 27, 2014 at 6:44 pm

I used to be in the anti-coffee camp, and sometimes, I still find myself there. I just HATE the idea of being addicted to it! But oh how I love the taste!

This sounds delicious. I would definite;y have to warm it up in the morning with the weather we’ve been having!

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat
    February 27, 2014 at 8:33 am

This sounds ridiculously delicious! I’ve been caffeine free for two months now, so I won’t be trying this any time soon. But I love the idea! Maybe I’ll make it with my dandy tea. 🙂

Aimee / WallflowerGirl.co.uk
    February 27, 2014 at 7:25 am

Coffee or tea? Well, neither for me… BUT I love the idea of this recipe – sounds super healthy and looks divine!

February 26, 2014 at 10:26 pm

I WENT THROUGH AN ANTI-COFFEE PHASE. Surprisingly, during my senior year of college until nearly two years later. Then I was hanging out with this boy and would be up until like 2 every night (totally PG we would sit talking in our cars for hours after our friends left whatever we were doing) and started drinking iced coffee at work everyday. Mainly because my work used to have the best iced coffee. I also go through breakfast phases. Right now it’s in this weird yogurt-pumpkin muffin-oatmeal mixeroo stage.

Oh, a secret – Target brand coffee (archer farms) is seriously the. best. coffee (outside of Hawaii, that is).

February 26, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Kona coffee is bombbbb! My fam went to costco when we were there to buy like 20 packs of kona coffee and have them vacuum sealed. Oh and get 50 bags of macadamia nut hersheys

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    February 26, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Oh heck yes! This is an amazing idea! I’m all over it!

February 26, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Would you believe that I have never made overnight oats? I think that every healthy living blogger out there besides me has haha. I eat oatmeal here and there but don’t really get the overall obsession with it! In any event, this looks pretty!

Tea all the way! Coffee makes me a nut. I’m really sensitive to caffeine and when I drink coffee my body feels like it’s buzzing (not in a good way!) and I get a headache. Oh, and I get absolutely no energy from it… hence why I like tea!

February 26, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Alright lady, we gotta change this!! And make overnight oats with tea! I usually steep mine for at least 20 mins and it’s so awesome. Try it with Teavana’s creme brûlée, so yum!

Mary Frances
    February 26, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I am gone for one weekend (JUST ONE!) and I come back to your blog and you’ve posted all this incredible posts! Davida, don’t throw so much amazingness at me at once, okay? 😉 I love overnight oats and I love coffee – duh, this is so perfect! Cannot wait to try, I have a feeling this will become a staple in my breakfast rotation!

Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change
    February 26, 2014 at 9:35 am

Mostly tea…something about coffee that does like my system, which makes me very sad! For some odd reason, I want to be the kind of person that wakes up and drinks her cup of coffee. Weird goal, I know. And phases happen all the time with my eating, and even with our meal plan. I think phases make grocery shopping easier.

February 26, 2014 at 10:00 pm

definitely!! Although everytime I do a big grocery shop I end up craving totally different food halfway through the week…Get into more of a food rut is my goal lol

1 3 4 5 6