I clearly have an addiction to sugar. Being gluten-free and mostly dairy-free has not at all deterred me from my sugar consumption. I try to use less refined and all natural sugars (fruit, dates, maple syrup etc…) when I’m baking but at the end of the day sugar is sugar and it’s never good to have too much of anything.
I know, it’s a bit strange to be carrying around turkey in the shape of cupcakes as a snack but if you haven’t figured it out by now I am clearly very weird. Sometimes weird works! If you’re interested in some of my other weird food cravings check out this post. Back to the meatcakes! My favourite time to snack on these guys is post-workout. I’m generally starving after I workout (I can never understand how working out suppresses people’s hunger) and need something to eat between finishing and getting home. Providing your body with high-quality protein after exercise gives your muscles the fuel it needs for both repair and growth. With 10 grams of protein in each meatcake, popping one of these after working out helps sustain me until I get home and also aids my body with its post-exercise recovery. A sweet AND savoury snack (or meal) that’s great for your muscles, yes please!Print
Moroccan Turkey Meatcakes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 lb ground turkey (I use 93% fat-free)
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I use 0% fat)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 T dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin with coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the turkey, flax, yogurt, spices, salt, and parsley.
- With clean hands, bring all of the ingredients together until well-combined, but do not overmix.
- With your hands create 12 evenly sized balls (a little larger than golf balls) and place 1 in each muffin cup. Flatten turkey cakes.
- Bake for about 15 mins or until tops have started to brown.
- Remove from oven and let turkey cakes cool in muffin tin.
- Remove from tin and serve. These keep well in the refrigerator for several days.
- Serving Size: 4
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!