dinner gluten-free vegan vegetarian

Mushroom Quinoa Casserole

November 14, 2013

Casseroles remind me of old people. I feel like I’m not allowed to cook one unless I’m over the age of 80, decked out in a floral apron circa 1950. For the most part I love eating casseroles (more on that later), but I just feel like a sham when I’m cooking one. I’ve always wanted to do a behind the scenes of what food bloggers actually look like when they’re cooking. But sadly I think you would all be immensely disappointed by mine. I generally look like a train wreck when I’m cooking and that’s exactly how I like it. And I don’t do aprons. I just pretend that getting flour all over yourself is part of  “the art”. Sacrifices people.

Mushroom and Quinoa Casserole // thehealthymaven.com #glutenfree #veganMy Mom makes a killer mushroom barley casserole. It’s normal for a kid to beg their Mom to make mushroom barley casserole for Friday night dinner right? But then I went to university and the casserole was officially killed for me. When I was picking my residence for university I opted for a single room with a shitty cafeteria versus a shared room in a converted hotel with a chef. I know, a momentary lapse of foodie judgment. The food was by far the worst I have ever tasted with a new level of awful reached on Fridays.

Mushroom and Quinoa Casserole // thehealthymaven.com #glutenfree #veganFridays were “casserole days” aka everything from the week that they didn’t want going to waste mixed together and baked. I genuinely had no idea a TVP, pea, cous cous and mac and cheese casserole could even be considered a meal . Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for strange combinations, but they have to taste good. Let’s just say I experienced what I like to call the freshmen “negative 15”. So I was a bit weary to start tapping into the world of casseroles once more. But this Mushroom Quinoa Casserole definitely redeemed them for me. Now who’s going to help me recover from my casserole PTSD?

Mushroom Quinoa Casserole

• Prep Time: 25 minutes
  • Cook Time: 35 minutes
  • Total Time: 1 hour

Scale
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 2 cups of water
  • 2 tsp of olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 1 lb (or 16 oz) mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 tsp tried thyme
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened plain almond milk
  • 3 T tapioca starch (any type of starch will work)
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer, and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
  3. Add quinoa and 2 cups of water to a pot and bring to a boil.
  4. Cover and turn heat down to the lowest setting. Cook for 15 mins.
  5. After 15 mins,remove pot from heat and let stand for 5 mins, covered.
  6. Remove the lid, fluff the quinoa gently with a fork and set aside.
  7. Add olive oil and onions to a large pot and cook over medium heat for 5 mins.
  8. Add chopped mushrooms to pot and cook for another 10 mins.
  9. Meanwhile, heat almond milk in microwave for 1 min (or on stove until warm but not hot). Stir in tapioca starch.
  10. Reduce heat to low and add almond milk-tapioca mixture to onions and mushrooms.
  11. Stir until mixture has thickened.
  12. Turn off heat and add quinoa to mixture. Stir until well combined.
  13. Add mixture to a casserole dish and cover. If you don’t have a casserole dish, use a large oven safe dish and cover tightly with tinfoil.
  14. Bake for 35 mins.

Nutrition

• Serving Size: 6
Mushroom and Quinoa Casserole // thehealthymaven.com #glutenfree #vegan

Anyone else have weird thoughts about casseroles? What was the food like at your university/college?

Kim @ BusyBod
    November 15, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Uhm, can you please do a behind the scenes shoot? Great, thanks! 🙂

Joanne
    November 15, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Oh man, I feel like I could write a novel on the terrible-ness of college dorm food. It definitely ruined a lot of things for me. But this casserole is pretty much the total opposite of anything they served! So wholesome and yummy!

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate
    November 15, 2013 at 6:46 am

Bahah casseroles remind me of old people too. I have ideas for a spaghetti squash casserole but keep putting it off for his very reason…you may have inspired me with this delicious looking creation though.

November 15, 2013 at 4:13 am

Haha, I almost NEVER wear an apron either! And it’s a shame because I have a bunch of cute aprons hanging in my kitchen closet that never get used.

Cafeteria food = gross. The one at my school was pretty icky. We had a pizzeria that wasn’t bad, though there was a whole lot of greasiness and artery-clogging food going on there!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 15, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Ah a fellow apron virgin! I always seem to be wearing black when I’m baking though and get flour everywhere!

Monet
    November 15, 2013 at 4:09 am

My mom never, I mean never made us casseroles. So I feel very deprived of them. Needless to say, I want this casserole NOW. Thank you for sharing. A delicious end to a long Thursday! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Christie A
    November 15, 2013 at 3:32 am

Family dinners aren’t complete without a good casserole in my family. Although, they usually aren’t as healthy as this one looks. The most common one in my family is called “funeral potato casserole”. It’s loaded with cheese, cream of chicken soup, and potatoes. Definitely not the healthiest but it is pretty dang good. Your recipe looks so good though! (I’m always a huge fan of quinoa)

November 15, 2013 at 2:19 am

I grew up on casseroles and after having babies I realized why they were so great – mix them up and throw them in the oven and free time!!!

Miss Polkadot
    November 15, 2013 at 2:19 am

What is it with casseroles getting a bad rep in general? I understand your antipathy after reading this post but for me casseroles/bakes have always been the epithome of comfort food and sit-down family meals. Unsurprisingly I’m still eating a lot of them even now that I’m living on my own.
    About your recipe: you know I don’t like quinoa, right? Yet vfor some this sound so good to me. Maybe because mushrooms make everything better? Well, I don’t have any quinoa on hand anymore in anyway right now … hm …
    Oh and don’t ask about the food at our cafeteria …It’d break every foodie’s heart.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 15, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Hahahaha I have NO idea why some people have to ruin the casserole for everyone. Sometimes they can be so good and are super convenient.

Did not know you didn’t like quinoa! Too bad 🙁 Might work with another grain though!

Paige Podbelsek
    November 15, 2013 at 2:11 am

I LOVE casseroles! My mom makes a killer tuna casserole…I always ask for it when I go home.

[email protected] Fit Running Mama
    November 15, 2013 at 1:50 am

I agree– not a fan of casserole things either but this one sounds great!!! Maybe for Thanksgivukkah! I’m doing a whole day of cooking and eating!

Selena @ thenutritiouskitchen.com
    November 15, 2013 at 1:17 am

I 100% feel you on the whole casserole thing! My grandma used to shove weird casserole concoctions down my throat when I was younger and I thought I was scarred ever since lol but lately I’ve been playing around with different recipes and this looks right up my alley! I’m on a huge quinoa kick so this is definitely going to be made soon! 🙂

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 15, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I’m so happy I’m not alone on this!!! Hope you enjoy Selena! Missed seeing you around here 🙂

Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries
    November 15, 2013 at 12:26 am

I wish I liked mushrooms because this looks so good! Maybe I can sub the mushrooms for another vegetable!

1 2 3 4 5 6