dinner gluten-free vegan vegetarian

Mushroom Quinoa Casserole

November 14, 2013

Casseroles remind me of old people. I feel like I’m not allowed to cook one unless I’m over the age of 80, decked out in a floral apron circa 1950. For the most part I love eating casseroles (more on that later), but I just feel like a sham when I’m cooking one. I’ve always wanted to do a behind the scenes of what food bloggers actually look like when they’re cooking. But sadly I think you would all be immensely disappointed by mine. I generally look like a train wreck when I’m cooking and that’s exactly how I like it. And I don’t do aprons. I just pretend that getting flour all over yourself is part of  “the art”. Sacrifices people.

Mushroom and Quinoa Casserole // thehealthymaven.com #glutenfree #veganMy Mom makes a killer mushroom barley casserole. It’s normal for a kid to beg their Mom to make mushroom barley casserole for Friday night dinner right? But then I went to university and the casserole was officially killed for me. When I was picking my residence for university I opted for a single room with a shitty cafeteria versus a shared room in a converted hotel with a chef. I know, a momentary lapse of foodie judgment. The food was by far the worst I have ever tasted with a new level of awful reached on Fridays.

Mushroom and Quinoa Casserole // thehealthymaven.com #glutenfree #veganFridays were “casserole days” aka everything from the week that they didn’t want going to waste mixed together and baked. I genuinely had no idea a TVP, pea, cous cous and mac and cheese casserole could even be considered a meal . Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for strange combinations, but they have to taste good. Let’s just say I experienced what I like to call the freshmen “negative 15”. So I was a bit weary to start tapping into the world of casseroles once more. But this Mushroom Quinoa Casserole definitely redeemed them for me. Now who’s going to help me recover from my casserole PTSD?

Mushroom Quinoa Casserole

• Prep Time: 25 minutes
  • Cook Time: 35 minutes
  • Total Time: 1 hour

Scale
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 2 cups of water
  • 2 tsp of olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 1 lb (or 16 oz) mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 tsp tried thyme
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened plain almond milk
  • 3 T tapioca starch (any type of starch will work)
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer, and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
  3. Add quinoa and 2 cups of water to a pot and bring to a boil.
  4. Cover and turn heat down to the lowest setting. Cook for 15 mins.
  5. After 15 mins,remove pot from heat and let stand for 5 mins, covered.
  6. Remove the lid, fluff the quinoa gently with a fork and set aside.
  7. Add olive oil and onions to a large pot and cook over medium heat for 5 mins.
  8. Add chopped mushrooms to pot and cook for another 10 mins.
  9. Meanwhile, heat almond milk in microwave for 1 min (or on stove until warm but not hot). Stir in tapioca starch.
  10. Reduce heat to low and add almond milk-tapioca mixture to onions and mushrooms.
  11. Stir until mixture has thickened.
  12. Turn off heat and add quinoa to mixture. Stir until well combined.
  13. Add mixture to a casserole dish and cover. If you don’t have a casserole dish, use a large oven safe dish and cover tightly with tinfoil.
  14. Bake for 35 mins.

Nutrition

• Serving Size: 6
Mushroom and Quinoa Casserole // thehealthymaven.com #glutenfree #vegan

Anyone else have weird thoughts about casseroles? What was the food like at your university/college?

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    November 15, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Ha I love how you view casseroles for older people. I grew up in Minnesota and attending a Lutheran church, casseroles were everywhere. My mom made them on a regular basis for us and I will probably always love their simplicity. Anything with mushrooms, I’m a fan!

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    November 15, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I look terrible when I cook too. Believe me, you don’t want to see me! Unlike this casserole, which looks utterly amazing! I love the quinoa/mushroom combo! x

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    November 15, 2013 at 10:08 pm

When it comes to casseroles, I don’t think old people, but I DO think June Cleaver…fifties style bob, apron with high heels, the whole shabang! Haha! Oh and also, I think CHEESE!! I’m sorry, I love you to death, but I have a hard time calling a casserole a casserole if it’s not topped with ooey gooey melty cheese! 😛

The food in college sucked SO bad during my first semester (think rocks that doubled for baseball practice), but luckily the new student center/cafeteria with other food options opened up the next semester…omg, the focaccia paninis I used to get would make me go weak in the knees! Now tell me, HOW did you get the opportunity to room with a chef? And WHY did you turn it down?!?! Omg, I’m thumping you on the head right now! Haha!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 18, 2013 at 12:13 am

Lucky you!!! Focaccia paninis would NEVER have been an option. They had sandwiches that were white bread with a slice of ham and a kraft cheddar slice. Horrific.

Let’s not talk about my poor decision making skills!

abby
    November 15, 2013 at 10:04 pm

ohh nice casserole. looks yummy. i have never tried making a casserole with quinoa and this looks awesome. i too love casseroles because they just seem so easy to make for dinner. you can pretty much throw in whatever you want nd bake it !

Ellie
    November 15, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Heheheh I look like a mess when I’m cooking too! I used to wear an apron but got lazy about it since I have to take it off, on, off, on, especially with Selah who MIGHT need my attention. 😛 And certain foods tend to make me think “Beaver Cleaver” ish stuff, but I love it that way! Casserole is one of those things that make me feel nice and cozy inside.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 18, 2013 at 12:09 am

SO Beaver Clever! I guess when you have a kid it’s somewhat more acceptable to play that role 🙂 Can I come babysit Selah?!?! She’s actually the cutest kid in existence!

Lauren Clement
    November 15, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Oh yum, this looks delish! Everything I could want in one dish. 🙂 I love casseroles. Basically stick everything in a dish and cook….sign me up!

Sarah Cook
    November 15, 2013 at 6:54 pm

You crack me up! Brandon has actually take a few pictures of me as I’m cooking and taking pictures and it’s horrifying. PJ’s, frizzy hair, eye boogers and all. 😉

I love casseroles, when they’re not a conglomerate of leftovers. I would be begging for this one too!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 18, 2013 at 12:08 am

So happy I’m not alone! One day Curt is gonna post a picture of me on IG or something that shows just how disastrous I look and I am going to be mortified!

moveeatcreate.com
    November 15, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I looooovvveee casseroles. But, I have no associations with them, as we didn’t really have many meals at home at all when I was growing up. They are totally something new to me in my adult life – which means I’ve been able to make the kind of casseroles that I like. And, this one looks absolutely lovely!

Charlotte
    November 15, 2013 at 5:50 pm

i lovvve casseroles but dont make/eat them as much as i probably would because they totally have a weird stigma! growing up my sister would always request a casserole as her special birthday dinner- why do they have that stigma- they’re so delicious! i never thought of using quinoa- thats such a good idea. also the food at my school was horrible. i think it won an award for being the 5th worst college food in america while i was there. also – dont bother responding to this comment 🙂

Dixya
    November 15, 2013 at 4:54 pm

love casserole i just dont make it enough,.this sounds sooo good.

Em @ Love A Latte
    November 15, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I hardly every made casseroles just because I haven’t tried to find good recipes. This looks fantastic though. I feel like I should make more vegan casseroles though because they would like life easier with the leftovers. The food at my college was OK. Definitely not that healthy, but I suppose I could have found vegan options if I had tried harder. I only had to eat on campus the first two years though then I shopped for myself which was much better!

Shawn @ Fruity N Nutty
    November 15, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Yes Davida, please do a behind the scenes shoot. 🙂 🙂

Gosh, casserole days sound completely awful. It sure is a good thing that you can make a kick ass one!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 15, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Like I said to Kim, a behind the scenes shoot would be incredibly disapointing!

1 2 3 4 5 6