This healthy, autumn Roasted Acorn Squash Soup is sweet and savory with a lightly roasted flavor to make a delicious, filling and vegan fall recipe for the whole family. It’s the best of fall, in a bowl!
So let’s chat how I ended up making this Acorn Squash Soup Recipe. I got 2 large, misshapen and perfectly imperfect acorn squashes in one of my boxes and after a few weeks hibernating in my cupboard, I thought it was time to put them to good use!
The result? This Roasted Acorn Squash Soup that’s also made with the onions and garlic I received in last week’s box. By now you probably know that I get all my veggies from Imperfect Foods. They’re just the best!
How to Cut Acorn Squash
Cutting acorn squash is the hardest part of this recipe. Here’s how I prep my acorn squash for this acorn squash soup.
1) Peel your squash– remove the skin from your acorn squash using a vegetable peeler or knife.
2) Cut your squash around the center circumference – I find it easiest to do it this way but you can cut the other way if desired.
3) Remove seeds – using a spoon remove the seeds from the center of each side.
4) Chop up squash – remove the top and base and then chop your squash into roughly 1 inch cubes.
Ingredients in Acorn Squash Soup
- Acorn squash – around 6 cups chopped
- Olive oil – for cooking vegetables. You could replace with butter if that’s all you have.
- Yellow onion – you could also use white or sweet yellow onion as well
- Garlic cloves- finely minced
- Vegetable stock – the base for your soup. You can also use chicken broth if that’s all you have. Low-sodium if preferred.
- Herbs + spices – dried coriander, paprika, cinnamon and rosemary
- Salt and pepper – add to taste
How To Make Acorn Squash Soup
STEP 1: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spread out acorn squash on baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 20 minutes or until acorn squash is tender.
STEP 2: Add remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil to a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions. Cook until transluscent (about 3-4 minutes). Add in garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
STEP 3: Stir in acorn squash and top with vegetable stock and spices. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, bring soup to a simmer on low and let simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered.
STEP 4: Turn off stove and allow soup to cool for at least 10 minutes. Using a regular blender or immersion blender, blend soup until smooth. Add water or additional stock to soup if too thick for preference. If using a regular blender you may need to blend in batches.
Storage: How to Store + Freeze
In fridge – Will keep for up to 1 week in refrigerator.
In freezer – will keep for up to 4 months in an airtight container in the freezer.
Acorn Squash Soup FAQs
Is This Acorn Squash Soup Vegan?
Yes! This acorn squash soup uses vegetable broth which makes it entirely vegan and dairy-free.
Is this Acorn Squash Soup gluten-free?
Yep – no gluten included in this soup recipe.
What’s the difference between acorn squash soup and butternut squash soup?
Acorn squash and butternut squash are very similar. Butternut squash is a bit sweeter and nuttier so it tends to pair better with sweeter spices like cinnamon and ginger. Acorn is less sweet so it pairs best with more savory spices like coriander and paprika. You could use either interchangeably in this recipe.Print
Acorn Squash Soup
s healthy, autumn Roasted Acorn Squash Soup is sweet and savory with a lightly roasted flavor to make a delicious, filling and vegan fall recipe for the whole family. It’s the best of fall, in a bowl!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Cook
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 large acorn squash (around 6 cups chopped), peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 cups of vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp dried coriander
- 1/4 tsp dried paprika
- 1/8 tsp dried cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spread out acorn squash on tray and drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast for 20 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil to a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions. Cook until transluscent (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add in garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Stir in acorn squash and top with vegetable stock and spices. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, bring soup to a simmer on low and let simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Turn of stove and allow soup to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Using a regular blender or immersion blender, blend soup until smooth. Add water or additional stock to soup if too thick for preference.
- Will keep for up to 1 week in refrigerator.
Keywords: acorn squash soup, roasted acorn squash soup, vegan acorn squash soup
Like this soup recipe? Here are a few other soup recipes you might enjoy:
Tuscan Kale + Lentil Soup
Moroccan Chickpea and Couscous Soup
Thai Curry Carrot Lentil Soup
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!
Kaitlyn @ Powered by SassNovember 10, 2017 at 8:15 am
UGH, this looks SO GOOD. I’m so happy it’s soup season. Two of my friends recently started an Instagram on how they reduce their food waste and waste in general. It’s so inspiring! It makes me want to limit the amount of trash I produce daily and invest in reusable materials.