gluten-free sides vegan

Roasted Rosemary Brussels Sprouts w/ Blueberries

March 10, 2014

I’ll be honest, I considered not posting this recipe. Why? Because it didn’t turn out so green. But it was a) too awesome not to share and b) if you can’t figure out that brussels sprouts are meant to be green then you should maybe crawl out from under your rock.

I’m posting it anyway.

In life I am a huge fan of green foods. It probably isn’t normal that I get overly excited about brussels sprouts and kale literally makes my heart flutter, but there are worse issues in the world to have. So I have a green food fetish…whatevs.

At the same time, I have come to discover that certain foods are not meant to be green. I’m looking at you green beer!

roasted rosemary brussels sprouts with blueberries

Let’s rewind to St. Patty’s Day 2010. I somehow had missed the boat on green beer in my prior 21 years and was determined to make up for it in one day. This my friends was a bad idea. In hindsight, the disasters that followed had absolutely nothing to do with the green beer, but I’m blaming it anyway.

You see I had a sidekick join me for my St. Patty’s Day Binge-drinkingfest. ESeids paid me a visit from SF and for having travelled all the way to Montreal to see me I knew I had to show her a good time. Fortunately I didn’t have to try hard since the entire McGill ghetto (yes this is what we call it) was out to play. We drank our green beers, gorged ourselves on pizza and passed out by 5:00 PM. GTs….

But then ESeids got sick. And no, we’re not talking alcohol sick, we’re talking THE STOMACH FLU. Which unfortunately terrorized her for 24 hours. I played nurse as best as I could and crossed my fingers so hard that I wouldn’t catch it. Despite it being clear that the green beer didn’t cause it, we blamed it anyway and vowed to never drink it again.

roasted rosemary brussels sprouts with blueberries 248 hours later, I was in the clear. Phew. ESeids had recovered and it was time to start raging once more. Apparently I’ve accumulated some bad karma because a few hours later I was hit hardcore by the stomach flu at a Calvin Harris concert. Let me tell you, the last thing you ever want to experience is the stomach flu at a rave. I can’t even begin to explain how this was one of the worst nights of my life. So I won’t.

Let’s just say the memory still haunts me in my dreams and green beer has been added alongside bacon to my foodie-hate list. Never again.

Roasted Rosemary Brussels Sprouts w/ Blueberries

by The Healthy Maven

Prep Time:ย 10 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients (Serves: 4)

• 2 lbs brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
  • 1 pint blueberries
  • 3 T fresh rosemary, chopped
  • 1.5 T olive oil
  • 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

2. In a large bowl combine brussels sprouts, HALF of blueberries, and rosemary.

3. Top with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Stir so all brussels sprouts and blueberries are coated.

4. Spread evenly on a parchment or silicone-lined baking sheet.

5. Sprinkle with sea salt.

6. Bake for 15 mins.

7. Remove from oven and flip over.

8. Bake for another 10 mins.

9. Remove from oven and add in remainder of blueberries.

10. Serve warm.

Powered by Recipage
roasted rosemary brussels sprouts with blueberries 3

Any St. Patrick’s Day horror stories? What about bad food associations?

*Don’t forget you have up till Friday to post your GREEN recipe to be included inย The Great St. Patrick’s Day Green Link-Up!

[email protected]
    March 10, 2014 at 8:42 am

Ah! I feel for your friend ๐Ÿ™ That blows. Also, brussel sprouts and blueberries…..hmmmm sounds suspect but I trust you so I will have to try this! I’m pretty hit or miss with brussel sprouts but I do love blueberries so if you say it’s good, I believe you ๐Ÿ™‚

Kim @ BusyBod
    March 10, 2014 at 8:07 am

Green beer is a perfectly acceptable scapegoat in my opinion. ALso, green or not, these look amazing! John is kind of meh about brussels sprouts but I’m obsessed with them so these are going to happen.

Obviously it’s irrelevant now, but I wouldn’t eat meatloaf for years as a kid (side note: this was probably for the best) because I got the stomach flu the night we had it when I was 9. Like your experience, it was zero percent related, but I refused to eat it and my irrational association was strengthened because I didn’t throw up again until I was struck my a stomach plague at 18 (and during that I had a disturbing amount of blue gatorade in an attempt to keep me out of the hospital lol, leading to a new association) . In conclusion, this was probably tmi for a blog comment. Sorry friend…

Madison
    March 10, 2014 at 7:58 am

No horror stories YET from St P day–but we are still young. ๐Ÿ™‚

Krista @ Tiny n Fit
    March 10, 2014 at 7:52 am

I love love brussels and this recipe sounds so good! As for St Patrick’s Day….Shamrock Fest in DC with beer trucks that had taps on the sides…I best you could use your imagination how crazy that was!

Tiff
    March 10, 2014 at 7:50 am

Oh dear, how dreadful! (Obv not the recipe, the flu bit, haha) I hope this year’s St Patty’s Day is much better.

Tina Muir
    March 10, 2014 at 7:46 am

Ooof that doesnt sound too fun! Hopefully that does not happen this year….or ever again! I am not drinking right now to focus on my upcoming big races, so will not be celebrating the beer side of St. Patricks day, but you can enjoy a green beer for me ๐Ÿ™‚

I have to admit, when I first saw the title I was a little skeptical, but they look great, and I am sure it will work. I love bluberries too! ALways looking for new recipes with them! Thanks for the idea ๐Ÿ™‚

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness
    March 10, 2014 at 7:21 am

I LOVE roasted brussels…but I would have never ever thought of putting them with blueberries. I defs need to try this, so I am glad you posted them!
    I think they look lovely! Pinned

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    March 10, 2014 at 6:58 am

Would’ve never though of combining blueberries with brussel sprouts. cool idea!

Joanne
    March 10, 2014 at 6:55 am

Traumatic experiences with alcohol are the worst! Even if they have nothing to actually do with the alcohol. You’ll probably be just fine going without green beer for the rest of your life anyways…going without kale or brussels sprouts would be near impossible, I think, though! Love this pairing with blueberries! It’s so fun!

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    March 10, 2014 at 6:20 am

I have a strong feeling I will be making this today! That is, after I get to the grocery store to restock the blueberries I am about to finish with my breakfast.

March 10, 2014 at 5:31 am

Can we please share drunken stories? You still owe me the Germany one and I owe YOU the Germany one….hello 1 euro bar.

Blueberries and Brussels… You know I’m a fan purely because of the sweet and salty.

Shashi @ RunninSrilankan
    March 10, 2014 at 5:19 am

Brussels sprouts and blueberries – who’d have thunk it?!?! – wait – YOU did! I am so intrigued! I don’t think I’ve ever had roasted blueberries before!

1 2 3 5