An easy and healthy lunch that’s great for sandwiches or big potlucks. This Pesto Egg Salad is filled with flavor and nutritious ingredients!
One of the things that I discovered about catering is that it completely sucks the life out of you. I mean that in the best way possible, but for 3 days straight I looked like a chicken with its head cut off in the kitchen. Simultaneously trying to bake 2 batches of granola, hard boil eggs, process my Orange Cranberry White Chocolate Bars all while trying to maintain my sanity is unbelievably challenging. Admittedly I still loved every minute of it.
But after it was done the kitchen and I needed a break from each other. Fortunately I went a bit overboard on the Pecan Pie Granola so I had enough leftover to live off of it for the next week. This is also kind of a problem since granola is my weakness and while I’d like to consider the half a cup of pumpkin in the recipe as my “salad a day“, I think a nutritionist may say otherwise. Thankfully I still have 5 days left living with my roommates (by that I mean parents) who took pity on me and fed me my veggies and protein.
Serves: 9-12 servings
- For the pesto:
- 1 cup basil, packed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup pine nuts (you can use a cheaper nut like cashews or walnuts too)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 12 eggs
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- 2 celery sticks
- Combine all pesto ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Set aside
- To hard boil eggs, place them in a large pot and cover with 1 inch of water. Bring water to a boil.
- Once water starts to boil remove pot from heat, cover and let sit for 12 minutes.
- Remove eggs from pot with a slotted spoon and place in a colander. Run cold water over eggs until eggs are no longer warm.
- Once eggs have cooled to room temperature peel them and slice them into small chunks, or use this egg slicer.
- Slice celery in half length-wise and then chop into small chunks.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, celery, greek yogurt, and all of the pesto. Mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve or store in refrigerator for several days.