This Gluten-Free Carrot Cake with lightened-up cream cheese frosting is a delicious and healthy alternative for your next birthday cake or party.
When I started this blog I never anticipated that my boyfriend would play any role in it. He didn’t know about it for the first two months after all…I’ll be honest, I judged people who spent their entire blog talking about their significant others and now I’ve officially become that person. Much to C’s dismay.
In all seriousness, I feel incredibly lucky to have found such a kind, giving and genetically blessed man. Even though he only reads my blog when I remind him to, he is my #1 supporter and best friend. Without a doubt I am his stalker and I am certifiably obsessed with him. Since today is the boy’s 24th birthday (yes he’s younger than me!) I thought I would spend this post thanking him for being without a doubt the most awesome human that has ever walked the planet!
Thank you for being equally as goofy as I am and reminding me that dance parties can happen anytime and anywhere.
Thank you for saying things like “public spaces are so important” and “I think it’s a reality that one day I will go to space”…amazing.
Thank you for giving the best hugs.
Thank you for being up for every adventure, no matter where it takes us.
Thank you for putting up with me taking an excessive number of pictures of you eating food.
Thank you for reminding me to look up.
Thank you for your patience and especially when it comes to cold, partially-eaten food.
Thank you for showing me that you can only find true love if you take the risk.
Now it wouldn’t be a birthday without cake! Of course I had to make C’s favourite, carrot cake. But since I am selfish I made it Gluten-Free Carrot Cake so I could enjoy it too. I celebrated early by eating a piece of it and it has taken every ounce of me not to eat the entire thing. Instead it is sitting safely in the back of the fridge in preparation for tonight’s festivities. That is unless C actually reads my blog today and discovers it before then…
Serves: 12 pieces
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour (1 1/4 cup of rolled oats ground into flour)
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar**
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely grated carrot
- 1/4 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 8 oz light cream cheese
- 1/2 cup 0% greek yogurt
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Optional: 1 cup of chopped, toasted walnuts.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flours, coconut palm sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine coconut oil, applesauce, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just combined.
- Add in grated carrot, shredded coconut and raisins.
- Grease two 9 inch round cake pans with coconut oil and place a piece of circular parchment paper on the bottom of each (I just cut the parchment paper).
- Divide batter evenly between two pans.
- Bake for 25-30 mins (mine took 28). Cake is done when a toothpick through the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 20 mins before removing from pans then cool completely on a wire rack.
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer cream together cream cheese and greek yogurt.
- Add in icing sugar and mix until well combined.
- Place icing in refrigerator for 30 mins to thicken.
- Place one cake down and coat with frosting. Sprinkle with walnuts if using.
- Place second cake on top and coat with frosting.
- Use remainder of frosting to coat the sides.
- Sprinkle walnuts on top if using.
- Store in refrigerator for several days.
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!