breakfast gluten-free pancakes/waffles/french toast

Grain-Free Banana Protein Pancakes

July 17, 2013
One day I woke up and the two-ingredient pancake had taken over the blogosphere. Bananas + eggs was all it took so I gave them a shot. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t all that impressed. Sure they looked like pancakes but they lacked the fluffiness every pancake deserves to have.
grain-free banana pancakes
So I made a compromise, a healthy, grain-free pancake recipe with 6 ingredients. It isn’t a two-step process but I promise the extra work is worth it. Plus considering my habit of creating recipes with 20+ ingredients and steps, I would call this progress.
grain-free banana pancakes 2
I suppose the pictures are somewhat misleading. I’ve never been a pancake + maple syrup kinda gal. I like em’ with nut butter or some sort of preserves. Chocolate sauce works too 😉 So don’t let the picture fool you, these definitely taste like banana. Mostly out of taste preference but also for visual effect I topped them with my Blackberry-Ginger Chia Jam and Almond Cashew Coconut Butter. So many flavours! It was like a party in my mouth.
grain-free banana pancakes 3
Besides their deliciousness, the stats on these babies are pretty remarkable. For 5 pancakes you get 323 calories, 5 grams of fat, 28 grams of PROTEIN and only 3 grams of added sugar. Booyah! I may or may not have had these for breakfast and dinner in the same day…

Grain-Free Banana Protein Pancakes

PREP TIME 5 mins

• 1 scoop (approx. 48 grams) of vanilla protein powder (I used designer whey)
  • 2 T coconut flour
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk

1. 1. Mix together all dry ingredients.
  2. 2. Mix together all wet ingredients.
  3. 3. Combine wet ingredients into the dry mix and stir until there are no longer any clumps.
  4. 4. Let mixture sit for 5 mins to thicken.
  5. 5. Spray a medium skillet or pancake grill with non-stick spray.
  6. 5. Over low-medium heat add each pancake one at a time. Let cook for 2-4 mins on each side. Be patient but watch carefully. Cook time depends on your stovetop. Mine were about 3 mins on each side.
  7. 6. Top with maple syrup, nut butter or preserves of choice.

grain-free banana pancakes 4
What do you like to top on your pancakes? Do you ever eat breakfast for dinner?

July 17, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Gah…I wish I liked bananas 🙁

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      July 17, 2013 at 11:50 pm

I still can’t believe you don’t eat bananas! I eat at least one a day! I’m thinking these would work with pumpkin or sweet potato!

thelittlehoneybee
    July 17, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Calorie to protein ratio is incredible. I don’t think I can wait until the morning. Is this an acceptable dessert this evening? Yup, I think so.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      July 17, 2013 at 11:50 pm

I know, so crazy! Totally acceptable for dessert! Let me know how they work out 🙂

Dixya
    July 17, 2013 at 3:49 pm

i have yet to try the two ingredient pancakes but yours look heavenly good.

Charlotte
    July 17, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Oh wow, these look delicious! i love breakfast for dinner and i’m with you on the chocolate sauce over maple syrup 🙂 also i love how you broke up the nutrition facts- 28 grams of protein is amazing. love these!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      July 17, 2013 at 11:52 pm

chocolate over maple any day! I could not believe the stats on these guys either. Crazy good!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish
    July 17, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Awesome recipe! I’ll definitely be trying these, as I LOVE any type of banana pancake. 😀 I totally agree with you about pancakes deserving at least a smidgen of fluffiness – they just aren’t the same when they fall flat! The blackberry-ginger chia jam and almond-cashew coconut butter look amazing, too!

Hope you’re having a great week, Davida! <3

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      July 17, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Your banana pancake recipe looks divine too! Pancakes are not pancakes without a bit of fluffiness. Perfect toppings too. I have been eating the jam straight out of the jar this past week lol.

Hope you’re having a great week too Sara! I was so excited to see your post. Can’t wait for your formal return 😉

Lisa
    July 17, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I love Breakfast for Dinner, it’s pretty much my favorite thing to eat…like all the time.
    I’m such a sucker for anything banana flavored. I probably eat at least one banana per day. I still haven’t tried the two ingredient pancakes, but these look divine.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      July 17, 2013 at 11:59 pm

I need to try one of your oatmeal bakes! And for dinner of course 😉 I’m also a sucker for anything banana. Along with oatmeal I don’t think I could survive without bananas! Thanks for stopping by Lisa

Harrison
    July 18, 2013 at 2:50 am

Love this! There’s a commercial mix for protein pancakes that I was thinking about buying, but these look better and are less processed. Thanks for the recipe!

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake
    July 18, 2013 at 9:29 am

Davida, they look amazing! I love banana in pancakes.

thenutritiouskitchen.com
    July 18, 2013 at 3:18 pm

This is such a great and simple recipe! Always what i’m looking for 🙂 Can’t wait to try this as a post workout meal, looks delish, i’m obsessed with anything banana and pancake 😉

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      July 18, 2013 at 5:47 pm

So simple and so good! You will be in awe at how fluffy these are and that they a good for you! Let me know if you end up making them! Thanks for stopping by 🙂

Em Kathryn
    July 18, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Pancakes are my all time favorite weekend breakfast – thanks for sharing! I never think to use my protein powder and them and that’s such a good idea! I love pancakes for breakfast although I don’t eat them for dinner nearly enough…

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      July 18, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I don’t know why pancakes for dinner haven’t become a conventional thing?!?! I eat them for dins at least once a week!

Cindy Gordon
    July 19, 2013 at 2:28 am

Oh YUMM, I love anything with bananas! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! 🙂

Hope your week is great!

Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

Jessica @ Blog-Inspired Cooking
    July 19, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I’m a non-fan of bananas, they’re usually only “ok”, but they are pretty good in pancakes. But I loved your idea of substituting with sweet potato! I’ve got several sweet potatoes hanging out in my pantry, waiting to go in my oatmeal with dried cranberries. This would be another great way to use them up. I’ve made these similar protein pancakes but have substituted applesauce for an apple-cinnamon version, but a spicy sweet potato version would completely rock. Thanks for the suggestion!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      July 20, 2013 at 3:25 pm

sweet potato oatmeal with dried cranberries sounds amazing! Let me know how it works in pancakes though I may need to try it out for myself too!

Marathon Mom
    July 19, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Yum, these sound similar to my breakfast cake with some added oats 🙂

Bridge
    July 19, 2013 at 10:39 pm

These sound super yum! Think almond flour could be subbed for the coconut flour?

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      July 20, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I’m not 100% certain. Coconut flour is very absorbent so it might be a bit runny replacing it with almond flour. I would play around with decreasing the liquid or increasing the almond flour. Let me know if you have any luck!

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat
    July 20, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Someone in my spin class was just raving about those 2-ingredient pancakes this week! I like the look and sound of yours much better though!

Apple Cinnamon Pancakes ‹ The Little Honey Bee
    November 27, 2013 at 6:53 pm

[…] but rather a Healthy Maven creation… by my good friend Davida. If you haven’t made her grain-free banana protein pancakes… DO IT […]

Delicious Discoveries | Running Tool
    December 17, 2013 at 5:04 pm

[…] very next day, I whipped up her fluffy Grain Free Protein Pancakes. With the second recipe, I was sold. This wasn’t just a one trick […]

A Blogger’s Review of 2013 | 1000 lovely things
    December 31, 2013 at 7:39 am

[…] Banana Protein Pancakes by thehealthymaven […]

Apple Cinnamon Protein Breakfast Cookies- The Healthy Maven
    January 30, 2014 at 5:32 am

[…] powders is how they taste in baked goods. Unfortunately PlantFusion didn’t hold up in my Banana Protein Pancakes, but I gave it another shot in my new breakfast obsession, breakfast cookies. It totally worked and […]

Apricot Walnut Bars [WIAW 10] ‹ The Little Honey Bee
    March 14, 2014 at 12:14 pm

[…] with a giant stack of blueberry pancakes. I used Davida’s grain-free banana protein pancake [recipe] but added blueberries. Soooo […]

Get to Know Me! Your Questions Answered... - The Healthy Maven
    May 9, 2014 at 7:56 am

[…] is your favourite recipe? Favourite post? My favourite recipe is my Grain-Free Banana Protein Pancakes. I could eat them everyday for the rest of my life! My favourite post is “If Not Now, […]

called african mango
    June 13, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Hello there! This post couldn’t be written any better!
    Reading this post reminds me of my previous room mate!
    He always kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him.
    Pretty sure he will have a good read. Many thanks
    for sharing!

My webpage … called african mango
    called african mango recently posted…called african mango

19 Protein Pancake Recipes
    April 2, 2015 at 12:01 am

[…] Grain-Free Banana Protein Pancakes from The Healthy Maven […]

Ally
    April 7, 2015 at 9:29 pm

Can’t wait to try these! Can you use coconut milk instead of almond? (allergy) Also, can you use whole egg instead of just the whites? Thanks!

Cindy
    September 2, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Hello, I was just wondering what does 2 T stand for…
    Thanks!

Peter
    December 21, 2015 at 7:49 am

Baking powder most often contains corn starch. Corn is a grain therefore these are not grain free. If possible ditch the baking powder or just used bicarbonate.

Diana
    March 5, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Hi Davida-

What type of pan do you use? I just made these and loved the flavor, but unfortunately even under low-medium heat the pancakes completely stuck to the pan and kind of formed into a mush (still very edible though!) I am always hesitant to use non-stick pans because of the chemicals.

Thanks!
    Diana

Lora
    June 10, 2016 at 8:40 am

Great .. Thanks for sharing great article

Carli @ Protein Pancake Source
    June 10, 2016 at 8:49 am

Wow, these are really delicious and very easy to make. I have tried many protein pancakes, this one is great. I only had one small banana, so I used one egg, with a pinch of salt & drop of vanilla essence. I used a tiny bit of butter for cooking them. Ate them all in about a minute. Wonderful and nutritious. Thank you.

Ivana
    May 3, 2017 at 5:48 am

This pancakes are very sticky and I find them quite hard to make (although I am not beginner in the kitchen). They totally stuck to my pan so I had to stir them around and make something more oatmeal-like, but the taste is amazing.