gluten-free vegan

Pumpkin Recipe Round-Up

December 3, 2013

It’s official. I’m retiring the pumpkin. I knew the day would come when I couldn’t look at a pumpkin flavoured recipe anymore, just like the day will come when I can no longer consume gingerbread (hopefully not anytime soon!). I have an obsessive quality when it comes to food. I eat certain foods/ingredients like they’re going out of style and then I can’t eat them again for another 6 months. One day I’ll learn moderation.

I know some people eat pumpkin well into winter and oftentimes on Christmas, but I eat Chinese food on Christmas and it’s my blog, so I’m declaring that I’m over pumpkin! But to pay homage to this very special vegetable I decided to create a shrine in it’s honour. You likely won’t be seeing anymore recipes with pumpkin as the star until next September, but Justin Bieber taught me to never say never so I’m not making any promises. But for now I hope these recipes will suffice. RIP pumpkin. It’s been real.

pumpkin recipe round-up

Are you ready to retire pumpkin? Anyone else a Justin Bieber fan? Kathy, I know you are!

Heather @ Run like a G!
    December 3, 2013 at 5:26 am

Pumpkin always reminds me of fall! It’s nice to retire it because that means we get excited about it next fall!!!! Whoop!

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    December 3, 2013 at 6:17 am

I do eat pumpkin year round but not all of the time. And, I never liked pumpkin pie or most pumpkin desserts so I am a bit unique over here in the blog world lol. I usually just add it to oatmeal, pancakes or random recipes I create like peanut butter pumpkin mug cakes. I want to try the pumpkin cornbread though!

Carla
    December 3, 2013 at 6:55 am

I don’t really do a lot of pumpkin because I don’t really like it very much. I know, something is wrong with me.

Justin who? LOL!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    December 3, 2013 at 6:57 am

I can’t condone this downright and utter BLASPHEMY!! Between you and Amanda, the next couple of months will be a wasteland of rusted pumpkin cans!! I won’t have it! No…you can’t make me give it up…I still have at LEAST 29 cans to eat! 😉

December 4, 2013 at 1:06 pm

You got this for the three of us girl! I have faith in you. And all your recipes to come of it will be made next September 🙂

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    December 3, 2013 at 6:58 am

Sad to see the pumpkin go, I still love it and have been making pumpkin oatmeal like it’s my job. But I am ready for some gingerbread creation!

December 3, 2013 at 7:18 am

Heck no, pumpkin isn’t going anywhere for me anytime soon! I tend to retire it closer to March/April, so I’ve still got a few months to go yet! And during that time I will definitely be making that cornbread! 😀

Tina Muir
    December 3, 2013 at 7:24 am

oooohhh thanks! I am unfortunately, over pumpkin and onto gingerbread….but I will save this for next year. Pumpkin is so good for you, and I used it a lot in my marathon segment. Thanks for sharing and collecting!

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    December 3, 2013 at 7:41 am

Love the JB reference and wow you were very busy with pumpkin recipes this fall! I didn’t even realize. I think I’m also retiring the pumpkin….kind of makes me sad to say but I know I will be so pumped for it come next year!

Madison
    December 3, 2013 at 7:44 am

I’m definitely a pumpkin fan and can eat it 24/7/365! However, no Justin Beiber for me. Sorry! He has a lot of talent but seems to be letting fame get to his head a little (like almost all young stars).

I haven’t told you yet but I LOVE the new look of the blog!!!!

December 3, 2013 at 8:14 am

I thought I was done with pumpkin after I finished off my last can of it, but I underestimated how addicted I’d become to pumpkin mug cakes, so I may or may not have ventured out in a snow storm to pick up more cans… I guess that answers that question 😉

Jessie
    December 3, 2013 at 8:23 am

I actually made the bread to go w/ the stuffing for Thanksgiving this year. It was fantastic, Davida!

December 4, 2013 at 1:10 pm

This makes me soooooo happy Jessie! I’ve heard from a couple people it was a hit at their Thanksgiving dinners. Warms my heart <3

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com
    December 3, 2013 at 8:24 am

I adore pumpkin – and I definitely do eat it year round! Your pumpkin donut holes – AMAHZING!
    I understand your need to hang up your pumpkin cans – but – like you pointed out “The Beeb’s” words – “never say never” …I mean – nothing like a pumpkin glow eh? 🙂

December 3, 2013 at 8:29 am

Ha, would you be mad if I told you that I made absolutely nothing pumpkin this year? I bought a pumpkin but then realized I’d lost my mind thinking I was actually going to cut it. And I wasn’t driving 20 minutes to Trader Joes just for a freaking can of pumpkin. Maybe next year. OR, maybe I can just get you to make me something next year. That sounds better to me.

Cat
    December 3, 2013 at 8:30 am

Say it ain’t so! Not over pumpkin yet here – and it’s recipes like the ones here that is keeping me going! Seriously plantain chips? How have I not made these yet!

James
    December 3, 2013 at 8:35 am

I was about to be all ‘YEAH, RIP PUMPKIN!! Bring on the gingerbread!’ with you but then I just remembered I still have a huge can left, so I will be using one of your recipes instead…ha. And, I may have one or two JB songs on the ipod…shhhhhh 🙂

Cailee @ http://hellohealthyeating.com
    December 3, 2013 at 8:51 am

Wow!! You have some great, versatile ways to use pumpkin!! I love it! Those seed pumpkin chocolate cups look AMAZING!! What a great combo/idea! Thanks for sharing girl!

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    December 3, 2013 at 9:07 am

I have to say that before JBiebs did the whole never say never thing, my old fave band The Fray beat him to the punch. I am gonna pin this round up for ya dear! I really have to find some matcha to make those pancakes.

Kim @ BusyBod
    December 3, 2013 at 9:40 am

Love the Biebs! No shame. Well, I was ashamed the first time I caught myself rocking out to one of his songs, but that was years ago 🙂

I’m over pumpkin too, and on to peppermint everything!

December 4, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I cried during his movie and may or may not be looking forward to his new movie in the new year. I have no shame.

Get ready for the peppermint!

Parita @ myinnershakti
    December 3, 2013 at 9:48 am

For the most part, I’m over it too! I have a couple of cans that I need to use up, but after that, no more pumpkin until next year!! 🙂 May try out your snickerdoodle cookies!

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    December 3, 2013 at 10:01 am

I think I am done with pumpkin although I have some frozen pureed left. I need to jump to gingerbread soon.

Tonya@Healthy, Fit, and Frugal
    December 3, 2013 at 10:03 am

I’ll have to check out those recipes! I love pumpkin and in my humble opinion have still not had enough pumpkin pie yet to satisfy me! I’m at least holding out till Christmas though to have it again. Oddly enough I’m one of the few people who doesn’t like pumpkin spiced lattes from starbucks!

December 3, 2013 at 10:36 am

I am pretty excited to welcome in gingerbread and (especially) peppermint! Cheers to the holidays! Now I just need to actually go buy some peppermint extract!

Laura@ Fit Running Mama
    December 3, 2013 at 10:55 am

Oh I am still not done with it yet– perhaps because I haven’t gone crazy with it like i did last year!! I don’t love peppermint or gingerbread so maybe that’s why– I still love the pumpkin!

December 4, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Ok that’s acceptable. But I’m hoping I can change your mind on gingerbread and peppermint!

kathy @ vodka and soda
    December 3, 2013 at 11:10 am

well feedly fucked up good and didn’t even show me that you have updated your posts. damn you feedly, damn you.

now on to it — i do love pumpkin but not the PSL from starbucks. that actually sucks major ass and when i had that, it was like drinking a cup of shit. because that’s what it tasted like – like someone shat in my coffee and it made me so mad because it ruined my entire morning that day!!

as for bieber, i fucking hate that guy. he’s such a tool and his music is AWFUL. i would rather masturbate with sandpaper than listen to the garbage he puts out.

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

December 3, 2013 at 11:36 am

Pumpkin is still kicking around for me 😉 I don’t use it too often, so it’s keeping me from getting too sick of it! Squash on the other hand…I don’t even know how I’m still addicted to it, but I am.
    And definitely noooooooooooot a Justin Bieber fan. I have met his mother though – I used to work at the group home where she was living when she had Justin, and she came back for a visit before we were shut down. She was a sweet lady!

December 4, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I just died!!! So jealous! Is that weird? So basically I’m like 4 degrees of separation from the Biebs!!!

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    December 3, 2013 at 11:43 am

I’ll totally enjoy pumpkin into the winter (but winter in VA is more like your fall, soooo). Not gonna lie, I’ve got a couple Bieber songs on my iPhone, no shame!

Rachel @ Bakerita
    December 3, 2013 at 11:44 am

How is it already time to retire pumpkin?! Time moves so quickly. All these recipes look so amazing though! Might have to extend my own pumpkin season so I can try some of these.

Kierston @candyfit
    December 3, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I don’t think I had any pumpkin this year! We always have Chinese food for Xmas 🙂

Mary Frances
    December 3, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I apparentally missed those plantain chips … you are so creative! And this list proves it! You’ve got an arsenol of pumpkin recipes, Davida, and every single one of them looks amazing. I won’t complain if you bring one around every now and then, but I am a ok with lots and lots of Chinese food! 🙂

December 4, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Thanks Mary Frances! The plantain chips are divine. Might have to consider breaking the rule for those 😉

Nicole @ Quest for Balance
    December 3, 2013 at 12:11 pm

You’re writing style kills me! In a good laugh at your desk kind of way. Totally brilliant! I’m still a fan of the pumpkin. Pumpkin pie oatmeal on a cold snowy morning is just o so right. I need to try your pumpkin corn bread recipe. I have a ridiculous list of recipe that I want to try from blogs I read but for some reason I slack in actually following through. Perhaps a New Year’s resolution will solve this dilemma. As for being a Bieber fan, love you for loving him, but can’t say I share this bieber fever. Happy Tuesday!

December 4, 2013 at 1:30 pm

That’s my every new years resolution haha. Maybe this year I’ll actually make something from pinterest!

You’re missing out on the Bieber fever 🙂

Caitlin
    December 3, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I love the music of the Biebs but cannot say I’ve been digging his personality/actions lately! I don’t tend to go too ham on a certain food item so that’s probably why I’m not sick of anything at the moment especially not pumpkin. I didn’t even have any over Thanksgiving (!) so I can take more of it!

December 4, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I knowwwww. His latest stunts have been questionable! But he’s so damn talented. Teach me your moderation ways!

Linz @ Itz Linz
    December 3, 2013 at 1:19 pm

i actually haven’t baked with pumpkin THAT MUCH this season.. weird i know. i think i’ve literally gone through ONE measly can!!!!!! and uhhh yes i love the biebs! 🙂

Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia
    December 3, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Good for you for putting this out there! You should made a ton of pumpkin “stuff”.
    I only cooked ONE pumpkin this year..I know! I was really never a big fan of it.
    I do love Justin Bieber though. He IS Canadian afterall 🙂 but so is Nickelback and I cringe when I hear their music. Biebs even has a song called “Maria”, about the woman who said she was pregnant with his baby. Ha!

December 4, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I HAVE NOT HEARD THAT SONG. Omg that’s amazing. Youtubing it now! Gotta support my fellow Canadians 😉

cait @pieceofcait
    December 3, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I was just thinking about this the other day, im very seasonal.. now that its December, hello peppermint, mochas, hot chocolate + lots of yummy treats 🙂

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat
    December 3, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Ummm…I’ll take one of everything please!! 😉 All these recipes are making me hungry! I can never retire pumpkin. I love it too much!

Christa @ Sit-ups & Sequins
    December 3, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Ok, so I think my obsession for this big orange vegetable has grown…just when I thought it couldn’t get any worse. Gee, thanks. 😉 For real though, these recipes need to happen. Maybe I’ll retire pumpkin, but not without going out with a bang!

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    December 3, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Oh it’s so sad to see pumpkin go but I love the gingerbread craze so bring it on!

Christie @ Kissesandkale.blogspot.com
    December 3, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I love pumpkin everything throughout the holidays. I usually get sick of it by spring and then start back up again in the fall. Can’t wait to try all of your yummy recipes!

December 3, 2013 at 5:54 pm

As much as I’d love to say I’m retiring from it- (Sadly) fortunately, it is considered a year round veggie here so… yeah.

Forgot to tell you, but I remember looking through instagram a few weeks ago and it told me you LIKED one of JB’s pictures. Fail Dav. Fail.

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut
    December 3, 2013 at 7:18 pm

First of all….did a blog makeover happen? Or am I going crazy?? I love it at any rate!! 🙂

I don’t know if I’m ready to retire all pumpkin things yet. Maybe after this month I will be ready. It’s time to stock up on pumpkin k cups though just in case I get cravings throughout the year! 😉

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome
    December 3, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I actually quit using pumpkin a few weeks ago mainly because I ran out and kept forgetting to buy some. I think I’ll still use it from time to time but during December I’m all about the peppermint!

December 3, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I only made 1 pumpkin dish this year – a pumpkin crumble on Thanksgiving – I think my younger brother ate 90% of it!!

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate
    December 3, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I still want to try that pumpkin cornbread stuffing–yum! Great list!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health
    December 3, 2013 at 9:28 pm

It’s never too late for a little pumpkin round up! I can’t wait to see the rest of your gingerbread creations too. Yummay.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    December 3, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Wow all of those sound amazing and delicious!! Especially the maple cups!

I wish Australia sold canned pumpkin so we could more easily get as obsessed with it as you guys do!

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
    December 3, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I will never dismiss my pumpkin :). I eat it year round! But I’ll still love you even if you’re retiring it!

December 3, 2013 at 10:15 pm

I think I’m actually sick of pumpkin too. I still have not made your pumpkin snickerdoodles. I need to buy coconut sugar, use the last of my open pumpkin, and make those!

December 3, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Haha, I feel like you’ve been over pumpkin for awhile now… I’m drooling right now at those pumpkin donut holes — they sound SO good!

Paige@FitNotFad
    December 3, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Nooooo I am so not ready to give up pumpkin! I need at least another month 🙂

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    December 3, 2013 at 11:37 pm

I WILL NEVER retire pumpkin!!!!! EVER. LOL! I actually BAKED SOMETHING today with pumpkin in it. I mixed Sun Warrior Protein with pumpkin and baked it. LOL. It actually held pretty well and sort of formed a bread like texture! I was so impressed with myself, LMFAO!

Nikki @ will run for pizza
    December 3, 2013 at 11:40 pm

I hate to admit it but I’m kind of over pumpkin for the year too 🙁 and I still have 3 pumpkin recipes to make! But I can’t bring myself to make them…

Turkey & Wild Rice Soup - The Healthy Maven
    December 4, 2013 at 9:31 am

[…] a food photog sesh in there would have flown with my boss. So the post got delayed and you got all things pumpkin […]

Meranda@fairytalesandfitness
    December 4, 2013 at 11:36 pm

I love pumpkin stuff, but after Thanksgiving, i’m ready for gingerbread flavored stuff! I’m all about being seasonal!

Lately — Fit for the Soul
    December 5, 2013 at 2:54 pm

[…] also drooling over Davida’s amazing pumpkin recipes! I’m thinking the Pumpkin Spice Plantain Chips need to happen in this […]

It’s Friday, Friday
    December 5, 2013 at 10:15 pm

[…] Pumpkin Recipe Round-Up (The Healthy Maven) ~ Is there such thing as too much pumpkin? I think not. A round-up of the best pumpkin recipes by my fave food blogger, Davida. […]

Rika
    December 9, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I haven’t worked on pumpkin recipes at all this season except for a pumpkin pie which was a gift 🙁 and haha I’m liking your sentence, “I eat Chinese food on Christmas and it’s my blog….” hahahaha!