appetizers dips gluten-free vegan

Pistachio Hummus

April 22, 2014

I genuinely think I might be aging pre-maturely. Basically I’m the female Jack. Anyone else remember that movie? This post solidified my belief that I am aging and my memory is going. Let’s recap…

I tried a great pistachio hummus at a restaurant in NYC but myself and my friends agreed it could be better. So I made it my mission to recreate it at home. I went and picked up the ingredients, asked you guys on Facebook what you like with hummus, made the dish, photographed it and even wrote the post. Then as I was reading over the post it hit me, we were at a Mexican restaurant, why in the world would they be serving hummus?

Only then did it occur to me that we tried pistachio guacamole and not pistachio hummus…whomp whomp.

Pistachio HummusMore proof that I am aging:

-I consistently complain that some body part is hurting me.

-I am up all night. Does it make sense that I associate old age with insomnia?

-I get excited when parties call for an early start time so I can get to bed earlier (not that I sleep…)

-I watch The Good Wife…such a Mom show.

-Hot flashes. Enough said.

Pistachio Hummus 2The list could go on, but until I’m in a diaper I’m still in the clear, right? Well if my pre-mature aging results in pistachio hummus instead of pistachio guac, then I guess things ain’t so bad. The day I start posting ground beef oatmeal is probably when you should seek some help for me. Until then, enjoy the hummus!

Pistachio Hummus

Cook Time 10 mins

• 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup raw shelled pistachios + 1/4 cup chopped
  • 1 1/2 T olive oil
  • 1/3 cup water (divided)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 T lemon juice
  • salt and pepper, to taste

1. In a food processor add 1/2 cup pistachios, olive oil and half of water. Process until a paste is formed.
  2. Add in chickpeas, garlic cloves, lemon juice and remainder of water. Process until hummus consistency is reached. Add more water if thinner consistency desired.
  3. Stir in 1/4 cup of chopped pistachios and salt and pepper.
  4. Serve with veggies or chips of choice.

Pistachio Hummus 4Do you feel your age? Are you as forgetful as I am?

April 22, 2014 at 5:34 am

Is it craycray that I linked a commenter on my blog to your pistachio butter recipe just yesterday and you post this? She’ll probably be confused. Oh well. You and Alexis with the chickpeas…it’s like visual death. stop it.

My vision is going. Am I aging too? Marinating?
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Mum’s Caramelised Onion and Eggplant Dip

samantha
    April 22, 2014 at 5:56 am

YUM! This looks amazing. I love, love, love pistachio’s. Ha ha, I think you’re being way too hard on yourself! I have to say though, in my late 20’s my memory has changed! I don’t have a memory like an elephant anymore. I’m just convinced though that it’s because as we get older we have so much more to remember, and there’s only so much room in our brains! I’m sure the rest of the stuff that we have forgotten is just filed neatly away in an archiving cabinet at the back of our heads =o)
    samantha recently posted…Body Image Band-aide

Kim @ BusyBod
    April 22, 2014 at 6:08 am

Hummus, guacamole, I mean, they’re both delicious dips, I say close enough. 🙂 I don’t think I feel my age, and by that I mean I feel much older and much younger at the same time. You know, like a childish elderly woman. I’ll be 29 in just over a month which is almost 30 which seems like mature adult time, which I’m really not. But I also frequently fall asleep on the couch around 8pm, get tipsy on a single drink, and have a skeleton that creaks and crack with pretty much every move I make despite all the yoga and exercise and whatnot (and I say things like “whatnot”).
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Chewy strawberry cinnamon oatmeal {recipe}

April 22, 2014 at 7:26 am

Haha I feel the same way! I feel like such a grandma sometimes, especially on Friday nights when I’m exhausted from the week and just want to go to bed at 9 pm. I don’t understand how people have the energy to go out on Friday nights! Also, I like prunes. Enough said.
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Comment on Kefir breakfast bowl by Baby June

Joanne
    April 22, 2014 at 7:37 am

Well I’m glad the memory loss thing is not just me!! But I think your body was just craving some nutrient in chickpeas and that’s why it led you down the road to hummus-ville. It’s a good road to be on.
    Joanne recently posted…Pumpkin-Chipotle Pizza with Kale and Burrata

Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers
    April 22, 2014 at 8:00 am

Yes, yes, yes, I love pistachios, and I love hummus. This will be a big win in my house!
    Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted…Sugar Detox

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    April 22, 2014 at 8:05 am

Mmm pistachios. I’m not a fan of plain hummus, so I like the extra flavor! I’m also aging. I’m the first one at any party so I can be the first one to leave, so I totally understand.
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…Bella’s perch and marathon inspiration

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    April 22, 2014 at 8:25 am

MMM love me some hummus. Also love me an early party start time aaaaand one of my body parts IS always hurting. We’re oldies but goodies.
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Carrot Cake Luna Bar Bites

Beth @ The First Year
    April 22, 2014 at 8:27 am

This sounds amazingly delicious!!
    Beth @ The First Year recently posted…Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Pudding Parfaits with Reese’s Crumbles

Jess @dearhealthyness
    April 22, 2014 at 8:37 am

Yummy for the recipe, regarding the aging, I’m your friend! I even believe I’m an old woman trapped in young body. I’m not your hang-out ebery day type of girl, I enjoy watching movies at home more than many other things. I’m always concerned with safety, and are you ok? Say what??? I’m old!! Period.
    Jess @dearhealthyness recently posted…Priorities

Brittany
    April 22, 2014 at 8:57 am

I’m not sure what I would think of pistachio guacamole but pistachio hummus sounds awesome.

Sometimes I feel super young but then I’m around people in their early twenties and I’m reminded that I’m actually almost 30. haha
    Brittany recently posted…Cauliflower Tabbouleh

April 22, 2014 at 9:27 am

I watch The Good Wife too…BUT I’ve watched it since I was a youngin’ staying up all hours of the night living in Madrid. So I think I have a free pass. Only you would put pistachio in hummus, but that’s why we love you, because I’m sure it works. Every time I think of pistachios, I think of Kourtney and Lamar.
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…If You Don’t Who Will?

Meghan @fitnesscrEATures
    April 22, 2014 at 9:41 am

Embrace the grandma within. She’s a hottie with a body! 🙂
    Meghan @fitnesscrEATures recently posted…It’s Marathon Week!!

Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body
    April 22, 2014 at 9:43 am

I can be such a grandma, especially when it comes to weekend social events. What makes it worse is that I like to knit and sew. If I described myself without my age people would probably guess I was 80 or something. I love pistachios! it is a shame they are such an expensive nut but this recipe sounds totally worth it!
    Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body recently posted…Paprika Kasha – with texture talk

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    April 22, 2014 at 9:43 am

I frequently forget me actual age… I think I’m 21? Usually I can pass for 16, since I never pay adult fare on the TTC (shh!)
    Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted…Virtual Tea Time [18]

Em @ Love A Latte
    April 22, 2014 at 9:46 am

YUM YUM YUM!!! That looks sooo good!
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…Pregnancy Journey – 24 Weeks

hayley @healthyregards
    April 22, 2014 at 9:49 am

I am all about day time parties! Night = rest and sleep
    hayley @healthyregards recently posted…Pepperdine Ladies 10 Minute Body Weight Circuit

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    April 22, 2014 at 9:49 am

I swear my vision gets worse everyday. Like it’s not normal. I am blind. Legit. Hopefully this fab looking hummus will cure all my woes!!!
    Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…Life Lessons: On Natural Body Care

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat
    April 22, 2014 at 9:51 am

Now this sounds wonderful! Hummus is one of my favorite things, and as much as I love pistachios, I rarely buy them because they’re so expensive, but this recipe is totally worth the splurge!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…My New Favorite Drink

Shashi
    April 22, 2014 at 9:54 am

Ground beef oatmeal…hmmm…you might be on to something there, Davida! This product might sell like hot cakes and you will make millions – enough to pay for the invention of a voice activated journal that will also help you with your memory problem! And while you are at it – maybe you could also fund the invention for a scratch and taste monitor – so I could get me a taste of dishes such as this pistachio hummus! 🙂

Shashi
    April 22, 2014 at 9:55 am

Ground beef oatmeal…hmmm…you might be on to something there, Davida! This product might sell like hot cakes and you will make millions – enough to pay for the invention of a voice activated journal that will also help you with your memory problem! And while you are at it – maybe you could also fund the invention for a scratch and taste monitor – so I could get me a taste of dishes such as this pistachio hummus! :)Ground beef oatmeal…hmmm…you might be on to something there, Davida! This product might sell like hot cakes and you will make millions – enough to pay for the invention of a voice activated journal that will also help you with your memory problem! And while you are at it – maybe you could also fund the invention for a scratch and taste monitor – so I could get me a taste of dishes such as this pistachio hummus!! 🙂

April 22, 2014 at 10:17 am

Not gonna lie… I kind of gagged a little at the mention of ground beef oatmeal… please don’t ever subject my eyeballs to that. I’m fine with pistachio hummus/guacamole though 😉 Or I would be if I could eat pistachios — jury’s still out on that one.

And I’m pretty sure I’m in the middle of an age identity crisis. Sometimes I feel super old because I love Raisin Bran and can’t stay up past 10, but then there’s the side of me that adores Disney movies and teddy bears. Jury’s still out on that one too…
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. i like chocolate… and breakfast .

April 22, 2014 at 10:25 am

I’m right there with you on being awake most of the night – I should just give up the pretense of sleeping and use that time to be productive!
    Kim recently posted…Smile and the World Smiles with You

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables
    April 22, 2014 at 10:30 am

uuummm… I’m liking the looks of this! Love me some pistachios!
    Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted…I’m Thankful for Infertility

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    April 22, 2014 at 11:25 am

Is Jack the movie with Robin Williams when he gets all those red gummy bears? Is it weird I remember movies based on the candy mentioned in them? Anyways….pistachio hummus! So creative! I think I really live in dog years because I’m way older than I am in human years. That’s also probably weird. 🙂 Have a great day, Davida!
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…PopSugar Resort Must Have Review

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    April 22, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Funny post! I can relate to so much of this. Something happened after I turned 35. Things in my body started to hurt, I can’t sleep through the night anymore, I get hot flashes, I prefer staying in more and going to bed earlier. The list could go on and on. It’s part of getting older and I’m just rolling with it. So remember you’re not alone. I love hummus and any nut but have never tried them together. This hummus sounds incredible and I can’t wait to try!
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…Sweet Potato Mexican Mash

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    April 22, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Oh no, you guys stop talking about aging. Cause ME, I am the blogger grandma here. 4 years from now I will turn 40. OK??
    I think you just have a little pseudo-meno-pause. Our bodies do that to us. Believe me – I tend to have phases of serious dementia. Or maybe it has something to do with alcohol? Not that I drink.
    Ok, I should stop now. I LOVE the idea of pistachios and guac! Or Hummus! Both is genius. As long as there are crackers and pita bread with it.
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…MIMM – Easter in Prague – 1st recap

Lauren
    April 22, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I feel like I am getting really old – I much prefer nights in now and if I do go aaaat out then I feel like I am fifty compared to all the 18 years olds bopping about. This Hummus looks divine, I love Pistachios, it is crazy how quick those shells can build up. I had a mean basil hummus the other week and this looks like it could top it!
    Lauren recently posted…Elephant

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit
    April 22, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Hahahahaha that’s great! Oh well, at least you got an awesome recipe out of it! Looks so good – I love pistachios!
    Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit recently posted…F2BF Food + Fitness

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    April 22, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Girl, you always crack me up! I love this take on hummus though! Pistachios are so underrated and they are so good!!!!
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Body by Simone

Anna
    April 22, 2014 at 5:01 pm

I didn’t think I was aging prematurely, but now that I’ve read what you associate with old age… I think I’m aging, too. 😉
    Anna recently posted…The Trick to Believing in Yourself

Becky @ Olives n Wine
    April 22, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Girl, you’re not old until you get mad that you can’t find your cellphone before realizing it’s in your hand and you’re scrolling through insta 😉 I think this hummus will most definitely smooth our old ages problems!
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…#32 Treat Yourself Tuesday

Amanda
    April 22, 2014 at 7:22 pm

I feel like a busted bag of old balls on the DAILY!

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    April 22, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Um, YUM.
    Signs of my aging: the only TV I watch is Food Network and the news and I would rather take a stroll than go to a grimy high school basement party. No shame at all. AT ALL.
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…I’m Going To…

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    April 22, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I’ve made pistachio hummus before and loved it! Your pictures are absolutely amazing!!! Pistachio Guacamole sounds very intriguing too!
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…The Best Banana Pudding Ever!

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food
    April 22, 2014 at 11:28 pm

ugh…. aging…. it is catching up to all of us! I’m so forgetful sometimes! The worst is when you walk into a room and stop and think I have no idea why I’m here. WHOOPS 🙂
    Alex @ Alex Runs For Food recently posted…Weekend In The Dells

Polly @ Tasty Food Project
    April 23, 2014 at 2:53 am

Mmmmm!! Pistachio is so yummy!

I like when parties start early too! I have trouble staying up late sometimes. I definitely don’t feel my age anymore!
    Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted…Berry Chia Pudding

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    April 23, 2014 at 10:59 am

My husband and I constantly complain about…stuff. My answer to all of it is “We’re getting old.” 🙁
    I love hummus any which way so this looks deeeelicious. Maybe a pistachio guacamole will be coming soon. 😉
    Tina @ Tina’s Chic Corner recently posted…Indian Chickpea Salad

April 23, 2014 at 11:08 pm

I just pinned this duhhhh. Love pistachios. Before we were friends I tried making your pistachio butter and failed horribly. I think I got bored waiting for it to process. Oh well, maybe another time. ANYWAY you know I’m basically a 16 year old meets an 80 year old in a 25 year old body. I wish I slept more. JK I need more hours in the day… to binge watch tv of course.
    Cassie recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday: Charleston Eats

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    April 25, 2014 at 1:32 pm

BAHAHA. You are so good at life.

And Good Wife = amazing

And this hummus sounds amazing, despite the fact that you recreated the wrong thing 😉
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted…why your medicine cabinets should contain herbs and a traditional medicinals review and giveaway!

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    April 26, 2014 at 5:12 am

Yup, I am every bit as forgetful as you are! I hope I never try to make that ground beef oatmeal though eeeek 🙁
    This hummus looks incredible and I love the color! x
    Consuelo @ Honey & Figs recently posted…Mexican Paleo Super Bowl

April 27, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Pistachios are my dad’s favorite so I’ll gave to name this for him. Thanks!
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Week In Review: The Sixty-Fifth Edition

adelaide hills b&b
    June 20, 2014 at 5:59 pm

adelaide hills b…

Pistachio Hummus – The Healthy Maven

DessertForTwo
    August 6, 2014 at 7:42 am

haha, you and me both, sistah! This hummus sounds like the best cure 🙂
    DessertForTwo recently posted…Comment on Lemon Meltaways by abbey T 🙂

August 8, 2014 at 7:06 pm

So happy you can relate! Sometimes I feel like I’m 24 going on 90!

Variantes d’hummus | satyafoodie
    October 10, 2014 at 11:46 am

[…] Pistachio Hummus (recette) […]

Pistachio Recipes That Will Shake Things Up
    February 26, 2015 at 12:36 pm

[…] 7. Pistachio Hummus via The Healthy Maven […]

Friday Favorites - pumpkinandpeanutbutter
    June 5, 2015 at 6:02 am

[…] I have been eating pistachios by the bagful lately, so of course I want to try this pistachio hummus […]