Mexican meets the Mediterranean with this Spicy Chipotle Black Bean Hummus. The perfect appetizer recipe for your next dinner party or pair with veggies or crackers for a weekday snack!
If you’ve never tried making your own hummus, I highly recommend you start! Homemade hummus is so simple to make and the flavor is exponentially better than store-bought… in my humble opinion!
This Black Bean Chipotle Hummus inspired by a recent trip to a San Francisco Farmer’s Market. It is basically the hummus of my dreams. Spicy chipotle mixed with the earthy taste of black beans for a Mexican twist on a classic Mediterranean dish.
Here’s What You Need
- chickpeas – I like to use canned chickpeas for a shortcut! Make sure you drain and rinse thoroughly before using.
- black beans – same here! Make sure you drain and rinse before using.
- garlic cloves – the perfect savory flavor to pair with this hummus.
- tahini – a key ingredient in homemade hummus. You can find tahini by other nut and seed butters in most grocery stores.
- olive oil – I like using a high quality olive oil for hummus so the flavor really shines through.
- lemon juice – I recommend using freshly squeezed lemon juice. The flavor is so much better than what you get out of the container!
- chipotle powder – to spice it up! I love the chipotle flavor added to this hummus.
- cumin – another key spice that pairs perfectly with the rest of the ingredients.
- sea salt – to bring all of the flavors together.
- jalapeño – optional if you like things extra spicy.
What to Eat With Hummus
I eat hummus with just about anything. Here are some serving suggestions!
- Fresh veggies – dip fresh veggies in homemade hummus for a healthy, filling treat. I love bell peppers, carrots and snap peas!
- Crackers or chips – can’t go wrong dipping crackers or tortilla chips in this hummus. I love the crunch!
- Pita – use fresh pita or make pita chips for a delicious vehicle to get this hummus in your mouth.
- As a sauce – dreaming up putting some of this hummus on breakfast tacos. Mmm!
How to Store Leftovers
Hummus will keep really well! Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.Print
Chipotle Black Bean Hummus
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 7 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Blend
- Diet: Vegan
- Add all ingredients to a food processor (including jalapeno if using).
- Blend until smooth (about 3 mins).
- Serve with veggies, crackers, pita or desired side.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Like this post? Here are others you might enjoy:
- The Best Hummus Recipe
- Easy Greek Yogurt Tzatziki Dip
- How to Make Restaurant Style Salsa
- Fresh Corn Salsa
- Easy Pineapple Salsa
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!