gluten-free nut and seed butters paleo vegan

Spicy Walnut Butter

May 4, 2014

This Spicy Walnut Butter is an easy DIY nut butter recipe made with toasted walnuts and spices you’ll find in your cupboard!

I have an obsessive personality. I get obsessive over certain foods, TV shows, music and the 9-week old English bulldog named Petunia who I met last week. I’ll talk about my “obsession-du-jour” incessantly to a point where I actually overdose on it. Nut butter is no exception to this rule.

Spicy Walnut ButterIf you’re unaware of my obsession with nut butter, then you are either a) new to the blog or b) a skimmer. I love me some nut butter of all kinds. Peanut, almond, pistachio, you name it, I’ve made it! I rarely buy nut butters for this reason. Unless someone decides to pay me for my nut butter consumption, it is cheaper for me to make them than buy it in stores.

But more than anything, I need to keep making new nut butters because my obsessive personality causes me to go overkill on whichever one I have on hand. I’ve figured out the only way for me to not get turned off by nut butters is to keep at least 5 open jars in my house at all times. This means that currently I have 1 jar of almond butter, 1 jar of peanut butter, 1 jar of coconut butter, 1 jar of pumpkin seed butter and 1 jar of this delightful spicy walnut butter open.

Spicy Walnut Butter 2I cycle through each. A little almond butter with my waffles, some peanut butter with an apple, coconut butter straight from the jar and my new favourite snack, a banana with walnut butter and chocolate chips. I’ve officially eaten this for dessert 6 nights in a row. This means that 1 month from now, after I’ve eaten it for 30 days straight, the thought of banana + walnut butter + chocolate chips will make me nauseous. Whyyyyyyyyy?!?!

As delicious as this walnut nut butter is, one day it will be added to the “things I’ve ODed on” list which also includes All Bran Bars, Grey’s Anatomy, anything by Avicii and sadly, creamsicles. One day I will learn moderation…I hope.

Spicy Walnut Butter

Cook Time 25 mins

• 3 cups walnuts
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp cloves
  • pinch of cayenne

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Spread walnuts out on a baking sheet.
  3. Bake for 10 mins.
  4. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 mins.
  5. Add walnuts to food processor and process until it reaches "butter" consistency.
  6. Add in spices and continue processing until well combined.
  7. Store in an airtight container or jar in the refrigerator.

Spicy Walnut Butter - an easy DIY nut butter recipe made with toasted walnuts and spices you'll find in your cupboard.
Do you have an obsessive personality? Have you ever “ODed” on something?

May 4, 2014 at 5:42 am

I hope once the photoshoot was finished, you ensured the spilt walnut butter was eaten up. That’s just wastage.

And I still remember your pistachio butter- I bookmarked it. Just checked and it still is. Boom. Okay, I need to retweet the food processor question to you. It’s being done next paycheck!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Spill it, Sundays #23- Juli Edition

Tiff
    May 4, 2014 at 6:30 am

Oh yes, iced ODed on things. I went crazy for sweet potatoes a while back, and now the hubby won’t eat them. Ugh!!!
    Tiff recently posted…Retail Therapy

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food
    May 4, 2014 at 7:27 am

you had me at spicy!!! Right now I’m on a spicy kick…. hope I don’t get sick of it! I really need to make my own nut butter! It’s on my to do list 🙂
    Alex @ Alex Runs For Food recently posted…Spill it, Sundays

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    May 4, 2014 at 9:09 am

Moderation is overrated. But that’s coming from someone who’s also a bit obsessive with things. 😉 I love making nutter butter recipes at home and this looks delicious! 🙂
    Tina @ Tina’s Chic Corner recently posted…Light Banana Bread

Laurie
      May 4, 2014 at 11:02 am

Lol at moderation being overrated. Agree. Go with gusto.

May 4, 2014 at 9:12 am

yess to the nut butter obsession – I have the same strategy. I think I have 5 or 6 open jars right now? I’ve never actually tried walnut butter though!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Weekly Eats & Workouts + Spill It Sunday 05/04.

cait @pieceofcait
    May 4, 2014 at 9:38 am

I deff ODe on things, haha! Pumpkin, nut butter, nuts, trail mix & chocolate, pretzel crisps.. oh my list goes on. I get obsessed for a little while and then get obsessed with something else.
    cait @pieceofcait recently posted…Invest in your health & yourself

Jackie
    May 4, 2014 at 10:16 am

Wow this looks fantastic!
    Jackie recently posted…Vegas Recap {Part 2}

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    May 4, 2014 at 10:18 am

I’m the same when it comes to but butters. I have 15 in my pantry now. I should be making mine, never tried to before. Your pictures were incredible. I can’t believe you got an action shot of drippige! I hope you didn’t let any of that go to waste!
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…Homemade Salsa

Amanda
    May 4, 2014 at 10:51 am

I definitely have an obsessive personality. I was literally drinking at LEAST 6 cans of pop a day before! haha

Laurie
    May 4, 2014 at 10:59 am

Wow. I know what I’m making later. I think this one needs it’s own bracha. Seriously.

Melissa @ Nourish By Melissa
    May 4, 2014 at 11:45 am

Haha moderation is tough when it comes to things that are as yummy as nut butters~ Great recipe 🙂

May 4, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Yes – I have a very obsessive personality. I have to be careful about adding in new TV shows, games/apps on my phone, and food – yikes!!!
    I never even thought about making any nut butter spicy.
    Kim recently posted…Working the Band (4/27-5/3)

May 4, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Mmm nut butters. They make me happy. I still have not ventured into making my own. One day.

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    May 4, 2014 at 3:12 pm

We are so the same – except I never get out of my peanut butter phase lol. At all times I have 16 jars from Peanut Butter & Co. in the pantry. Just Crunch Time and Mighty Maple but that more than satisfies me, several times a day!
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Pre-Race Food and Ready For Today’s LI Half Marathon

May 4, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Oh how I love nut butters too! I also have about 5 jars open at all times, and I like switching them up. Walnut butter is not one that I have in the house, so I may need to make this!
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Hiking at Pinnacles National Park

Lauren
    May 4, 2014 at 3:34 pm

I love walnut butter – I am intrigued by the addition of spice to yours! It looks so amazingly drippy as well!
    I have a rather obsessive personality – all or nothing and all that jazz. I have mellowed out dramatically in my early twenties thank goodness, trying for this thing called balance 😉 . I made myself sick of sushi after a sushi making course thing – I still can’t face the stuff!
    Lauren recently posted…Believe In Yourself

May 4, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Can you believe I have yet to make my own nut butter? I think I’m secretly afraid of setting my food processor or blender on fire. Gonna have to get around to it, though… Especially since I haven’t been able to find Justin’s maple AB anywhere 🙁
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. link love 5/4 .

Mary Frances
    May 4, 2014 at 5:56 pm

You photograph nut butters like nobody’s business. I’ve never been able to make them look pretty, but you sure do, EVERY TIME. What a fun twist on walnut butter! I’ve never tried pistachio or pumpkin seed … mmm, as if I need more nut butters lying around the house! You top me with five, I think my max was three 🙂 Looks delicious, pinning!
    Mary Frances recently posted…Sweet Potato Beer Bread Dinner Rolls

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    May 4, 2014 at 6:20 pm

When I read the title of this post, I was totally expecting a savoury nut butter. I’m glad this was sweet though- cayenne in sweet things is so fun for something different!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted…{from left to write} thrive and a call to the 30×30 challenge

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    May 4, 2014 at 6:25 pm

I OD on nut butter, Greek yogurt, and spinach all day err-day.
    I’ve always been afraid of walnut butter because I fear it might be bitter, but this spicy walnut butter looks…well, spicayyy. Which is a good thing 🙂
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Fascinating Friday Links #34

Selena @ thenutritiouskitchen.com
    May 4, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Well firstly, I would like to apologize for being so absent from your blog lately! I have been missing your posts and delish recipes! And seriously, spicy walnut butter?! How creative is that? I never would have thought of that but I am LOVING the idea. And by the way I am and always will be obsessed with nut butters + greys anatomy 🙂 I always have like 4 containers of nut butters in my house, except I need to start making my own more! Pinning this 🙂
    Selena @ thenutritiouskitchen.com recently posted…Gluten Free Chicken Tenders with Creamy Chipotle Sauce

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    May 4, 2014 at 8:14 pm

I would never have thought of making a spicy nut butter, I like the idea though! I’m adding this to the list of recipes I want to try but first I have to make your pistachio butter. I’m still just to cheap to buy a big bag of pistachios, why to the shelled ones have to be so expensive??

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    May 4, 2014 at 10:20 pm

I currently have a jar of raw almond butter, sunbutter, salted peanut butter, unsalted peaunt buter, and Justin’s maple almond butter. Oh and now I’ll have some spicy walnut butter, too. Holla for OCD!!!
    Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…Dark Chocolate Raspberry Black Bean Brownies

Lee
    May 4, 2014 at 10:33 pm

I’m totally a skimmer. Naturally someone who can’t spell, also can’t read very well, so I skim. DAYUM that drippy photo. Nice work!!! Blake counted and I have 9 opened nut butter containers currently. He only eats PB…#sorrynotsorry #moreforme
    Lee recently posted…2-Ingredient Pesto Chicken Skewers

Polly @ Tasty Food Project
    May 5, 2014 at 12:19 am

I love nut butters but never tried walnut butter! This looks delicious! I wouldn’t mind trying it sometime!

May 5, 2014 at 6:38 am

I’m allergic to most nuts, and yet I still manage to have a zillion jars of nut/seed butter (almond butter, soy nut butter, coconut butter, sunflower seed butter, cinnamon soy nut butter, pepita flax butter, and cookie butter). Yup, I definitely have a problem. 😛

I OD’ed on Swedish berries once. I had like 2 lbs in one sitting when I was 12… I had to go many years before I even wanted to look at them again hahaha.
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Day in the life of a dietetic intern in a clinical rotation

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    May 6, 2014 at 8:40 am

I love the spicy kick you added to this walnut butter! I definitely OD on things. Usually it is food. Sometimes TV. 🙂
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Three

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    May 9, 2014 at 9:27 pm

You are the queen of nut butters my friend! How original 🙂
    Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted…Healthy Vegan Fridays [17]

May 13, 2014 at 9:37 am

Of course you have an obsessive personality because I have an obsessive personality as well. I OD on most things in life because of that. I don’t think I’m currently burnt out on anything, but there is a possibility soon it may be oatmeal…
    Cassie recently posted…Gluten Free Bagels with Chocolate Almond Cream Cheese [Product Review]

Shonalika
    May 13, 2014 at 1:25 pm

I’m new to the blog so didn’t know you were into nut butter – but I could guess, because I got here through a post called “Spicy Walnut Butter” and what nutter would make something as delectable that if they WEREN’T into nut butter?:D

I love this idea. My friend offered me spicy peanut butter before, but to be honest that was just TOO spicy – we had to keep running out of his house, into the shops and shovelling yogurt into our mouths. (I wasn’t vegan at that point). Always wanted to try a more rational version, and one with WALNUTS as the base just sounds…. mmmm.
    Shonalika recently posted…Mango Lassi

Five Spice Peanut Butter & HNB Bread Chronicles [2] - Healthy Nibbles & Bits
    June 6, 2014 at 7:01 am

[…] trying out a spicy walnut butter recipe from The Healthy Maven (yummy, by the way!) I realized how easy it was to make my own nut butter. […]