Creamy vanilla sea salt almond butter made with fresh vanilla bean, chunky sea salt and lightly roasted almonds. The perfect spread for your toast, oatmeal or favorite smoothie recipe. Or just eat on its own with a spoon!
One of the things that C and I have in common is that we both love almond butter. Hear me out on this… when you you compare peanut butter and almond butter, PB almost always seems to win. Except in our house! The fact that C and I both prefer almond butter to peanut butter is a big deal. I’m not sure I could live with someone where I’d have to have the eternal argument that almond butter is better than peanut butter. That would suck.
The one downside is that we literally crush jars of almond butter. Most jars won’t last more than a week here so I decided to take it upon myself to make a homemade version and I have to say… nothing compares! It really takes the cake.
Here’s What You Need
- Good quality almonds – very key! Try to buy organic when you can, Trader Joe’s and Amazon both have great options
- Unsweetened coconut – this adds a sweetness without having to add sugar
- Vanilla bean/Vanilla extract – either works but I’m partial to vanilla bean since it’s such a burst of flavor
- Sea salt – try to get thick and chunky sea salt, I find it adds the best flavor
- Cinnamon – is it possible to make anything without cinnamon (FYI no it isn’t), but like the coconut it adds sweetness without adding sugar
- A powerful food processor – I use this one and while this CAN technically be made in a high-powered blender, I find it’s faster and better consistency when made in a food processor.
How to Make Almond Butter
STEP 1: Spread the almonds on a pan and roast at 350ºF for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted. Watch carefully so the nuts don’t burn!
STEP 2: Add the coconut to a food processor and beginning processing and breaking down for 2-3 minutes.
STEP 3: Add the almonds to the food processor and continue to process until the nuts have fully broken down and combined with coconut.
STEP 4: Stir in the vanilla extract, sea salt and cinnamon and continue to process until smooth and creamy. This can take up to 5-10 minutes – be patient and be sure to scrape down the sides occasionally to ensure even consistency.
STEP 5: Allow the nut butter to cool and add to a mason jar or sealed container.
How to Use Homemade Almond Butter
There are so many ways to use almond butter! Here are a few ideas:
- Add to oatmeal and smoothies
- Make almond butter, honey toast
- Mix into energy balls
- Drizzle on French toast or pancakes
- Gift it as a homemade gift!
How to Store Almond Butter
Store your almond butter in a mason jar or an airtight container for up to two weeks at room temperature. Store in the refrigerator for longer. It will harden slightly in the fridge but still delicious!Print
Vanilla Sea Salt Almond Butter
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: Snack
- Method: Blend
- Diet: Vegan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Layout almonds on pan and roast for 10 mins or until lightly toasted. Watch carefully to ensure they do not burn.
- Add coconut to food processor and begin processing and breaking down for 2-3 mins.
- Add almonds and continue process until nuts have fully broken down and combined with coconut.
- Stir in vanilla, sea salt and cinnamon and continue processor until smooth and creamy. This can take up to 5-10 mins. Be sure to wipe down sides to ensure even consistency.*
- Allow to cool and add to a mason jar or sealed container. Will keep for up to 2 weeks or store in fridge for longer. Will harden slightly in fridge.
*How long this takes will depend on your almonds. Be patient. Some almonds take longer to release their oil so keep going even if you don’t think it’s working.
Keywords: almond butter, vanilla almond butter
Here are more recipes you might enjoy:
- Mango Almond Butter Smoothie
- Chocolate Almond Butter Overnight Oats
- Almond Butter Hemp Seed Cookies
- Homemade Cashew Butter
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!