appetizers dinner gluten-free meat

Thai Turkey Sliders with Peanut Sauce

June 8, 2014

Last week I was at an event for the opening of the patio at The Spoke Club. If there’s free food and free drinks i’m there, though I have to admit that at times free food can be unfortunately disappointing. Not in this case! They had a perfect balance of decadence and health. I may have eaten a few too many of the mini poutines but I felt good about the fact that I mostly gorged my face on all of the appetizers served on lettuce buns. From wild mushroom and ricotta salads to mini burgers, I managed to basically get a salad in from eating so many lettuce buns. This was clearly the inspiration behind today’s Thai Turkey Sliders with Peanut Sauce recipe.

Thai Turkey Sliders with Peanut Sauce // thehealthymaven.comIf you’re not familiar with The Spoke Club, it is essentially a club for people who are interested in media and the arts. It’s a place where creative people can network and collaborate or just grab a drink. And no, I’m not a member. C is (despite being an engineer!) but I have profited from being his +1. Long story short, I got to talking with a couple of people and they seemed fascinated by the concept of food blogging. I suppose I shouldn’t be so surprised since the odds of meeting a food blogger are pretty slim.

After the standard “so you take pictures of food?”, “how do you make money?”, “can I come over for dinner?” questions, I got asked a new one, “do you have any co-workers?” I quickly replied with “yes! of course!” and no I’m not referring to my friends at the grocery store. People within the blogging world know how tight-knit this community is and how at some times it feels like a throwback to high school. Regardless of the occasional drama, some of my fellow bloggers have become so much more than just someone I can tweet at or repost on Facebook. They are a resource for infinite amounts of information and a sounding board for inspiration.

Thai Turkey Sliders with Peanut Sauce // thehealthymaven.comThough not your typical co-worker, since most of them live around the world, I still find myself spending most of my week talking with them about everything from social media tips to The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. I may be home alone some days, but I never feel alone.

Today I wanted to take a moment to wish a VERY happy birthday to one of these co-workers who has quickly become one of my best friends. He may live on the other side of the world, but we still manage to make this friendship work. He’s hilarious and honest and completely unapologetic for being exactly who he is. He also has sexy arms. So to my dear Arman the Aardvark/Armin Van Burren/Armie/Kyle/Whatever nick name I give you that day, I want to wish you a very happy birthday. May your year be filled with burnt cauliflower, white bread and lots and lots of potatoes. Love ya long time.

Thai Turkey Sliders with Peanut Sauce

Cook Time 30 mins

For The Sliders

• 1 lb lean ground turkey breast
  • 2 T fresh basil, thinly chopped
  • 2 green onions (white and light green only), minced
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 20 large lettuce leaves (I used Boston lettuce)
  • pepper to taste

For the Peanut Sauce

• 3 T smooth peanut butter
  • 1 T rice vinegar
  • 1 T gluten-free Tamari
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger

For the Sliders:

1. Combine all ingredients (except lettuce) in a large bowl.
    2. Form into small patties (should make about 20).
    3. Head up a large skillet and melt coconut oil over medium-high heat.
    4. Add patties (do not overcrowd) and cook for about 2 minutes on each side.
    5. Wash lettuce and place cooked turkey patties in the center of each.

For the Peanut Sauce:

1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl until smooth.
    2. Top each turkey slider with 1 tsp of peanut sauce.

Notes

Thai Turkey Slides with Peanut Sauce // thehealthymaven.comDo you have co-workers? What are they like?

June 8, 2014 at 5:18 am

Well this is a let down…I was so pumped for this recipe and I HAVE MADE IT BEFORE….except this one lacks the hidden vego goodness…They were pretty amazing so I’ll be making them again. I will also NOT be holding the bun. Sorry. But probably the cheese because the sauce was amazing.

Thanks for your kind words today- You know the feeling is mutual. Although I am not your co-worker. I am your superior.
      Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Spill it, Sundays #28- The Birthday Edition!

Kim @ BusyBod
      June 8, 2014 at 6:14 am

Ahhh the true bestie love of Davida and Arman. Fabulous for both of you, and also for all of us who get to watch your antics unfold. 🙂

Right now I have zero co-workers because my job is studying for the bar exam (which is awful btw), but assuming I don’t fail, I’ll get to go back to my law firm where my co-workers were pretty excellent. A huge part of what I loved about working there is that even though everyone is crazy smart and works really hard, they are still laid back and don’t take themselves too seriously the way a lot of lawyers tend to.
      Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Settling into a routine {weekly plan}

Tina Muir
      June 8, 2014 at 6:59 am

YUM! Those sound lovely! You are so right about the blogging world, and I love it! So hard to explain to others, but you are right in what you said. Have a wonderful Sunday 🙂
      Tina Muir recently posted…Recovery Week Update

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
      June 8, 2014 at 9:31 am

What a unique little burger! I love peanut butter, so I’m pretty sure that this peanut sauce would be thoroughly enjoyed!
      Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…Spicy Black Bean Hummus

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
      June 8, 2014 at 10:36 am

YUMMM. Looks so good! I love ground turkey, thai flavors, and all things mini – I’m sold! And yes – Happy Birthday, Arman!
      Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted…7 Interesting Things I’ve Ready Lately #14

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
      June 8, 2014 at 10:49 am

i work at a hospital so im surrounded by co-workers all the time. but blogging friends are awesome to have!!! these slides are calling me name.
      Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health recently posted…Meet the Dietitian : Ashley Simper {Community and Outpatient Dietitian}

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
      June 8, 2014 at 11:09 am

Yesss. The mother country meets the Americas. I like it! I also like mini things on lettuce leaves, because I like eating with my hands.
      Happy birthday to the Australian indeed!
      Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Fascinating Friday Links #37

Florence
      June 8, 2014 at 12:12 pm

These look delish! I’ve used cabbage leaves to replace bread but they’re so tough! I’ll have to try this instead!
      Florence recently posted…The People You Meet at Yard Sales

June 8, 2014 at 12:38 pm

What a sweet birthday shout-out to Arman!!!
      The sliders look awesome – my boys would go for these for sure!
      Kim recently posted…A Little Bit of Everything!! (6/1-6/7)

June 8, 2014 at 1:28 pm

YAY for blogging friends/co-workers! Since I work from home, I only see my co-workers for my full-time job a few times a year when I travel. Otherwise we send each other like a million emails a day and Skype daily. But I kind of don’t mind being on my own in my office — I get crap done quickly and am probably more efficient, except on the days when I’m distracted by blog reading! 😉
      Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Bondi Band Headband Giveaway!

Amanda
      June 8, 2014 at 7:18 pm

I’m still getting to know my new co-workers, but, so far everyone seems so nice and helpful and there are even a couple that I know I could be lasting friends with! 🙂

Jo @ LIVING MINT GREEN
      June 8, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Well, I work at a resort so you can imagine how “colourful” my coworkers are. It’s pretty wild. And hilarious. The people I associate with the most though are executives so I have to be on my best behaviour. Sometimes. 😉
      Jo @ LIVING MINT GREEN recently posted…File This Under…

Jordan @ The Blonde Vegan
      June 8, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Loving lots about this post because A) anything peanut sauce totally rocks, and B) I so agree about our fellow bloggers being our co-workers / friends / total kindred spirits… we are so lucky to do what we do and do what we LOVE! Also, laughing because those questions you were getting at the party about being a food blogger are allll too typical. At least they’re interested. 😉 xo
      Jordan @ The Blonde Vegan recently posted…Friday Musings + Fun Event Info

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table
      June 8, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Having just gotten back from Blend, I totally get the blogger connection. It’s funny, but I consider a few bloggers among my closest friends these days.

Love this recipe! Peanut sauce is always a win. 🙂
      Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted…Blend Your [Growing Naturals] Protein

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
      June 9, 2014 at 5:54 am

Aww that’s so mice to call your fellow bloggers co workers. It’s so true!

I do this from home, by myself and yes it can be quite lonely not seeing anyone or talking until my husband comes home from work – but I never feel alone, as is feel like I have all my fellow bloggers around me! I look forward to reading everyone’s stories and hopefully can get to know some more on a personal level as my blog continues to grow. 🙂
      Jen @ Chase the Red Grape recently posted…CrossFit – Best WOD Ever!

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, & Beers
      June 9, 2014 at 7:37 am

Yum! The hubby and I would both like these. My coworker is generally grumpy and demanding. 😉
      Tiff @ Love, Sweat, & Beers recently posted…Marvelous Stuff to Share

Paige@FitNotFad
      June 9, 2014 at 9:10 am

The blogging community is the best! Also, anything with peanut butter sauce is the best. That’s all. 🙂
      Paige@FitNotFad recently posted…Refreshing Green Smoothie

LydiaF
      June 9, 2014 at 9:14 am

I love the presentation of these little gems, perfect for a party.
      LydiaF recently posted…Preparation for A Week of Vegan Before 6 Eating

Brittany
      June 9, 2014 at 10:00 am

I love this post for so many reasons. First and foremost that sauce…just give me a straw please. I also love calling fellow blog buds “coworkers.” Did I mention that sauce!? Happy belated birthday to Arman! Blog friends are legit my favorite.
      Brittany recently posted…ob·ses·sion

Amy @ A Healthy Life For Me
      June 9, 2014 at 12:11 pm

This is a genius idea. Love the recipe!

Britt@MyOwnBalance
      June 9, 2014 at 1:18 pm

What a cool event! Also, I find it kind of amusing that people don’t know about food bloggers but I guess I’ve just become so used to it, I can’t imagine a world where that doesn’t exist!

I totally share your sentiments on fellow bloggers. I don’t have a ton of friends with kids so right now I’m leaning heavily on some of the mommy bloggers to get the good info! 🙂
      Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…The Best Weekend Ever

June 9, 2014 at 2:11 pm

What a lovely little tribute to Arman. He’s one of my favorites.

June 9, 2014 at 2:44 pm

You’re the cutest. Hope I get to call myself your coworker 🙂 Also, can we go to the Spoke next time I’m in Toronto? K thanks. PS Pinning these for Joe to grill for me.
      Cassie recently posted…The Best Homemade Granola Bars

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
      June 9, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Anything with peanut butter definitely has my name on it!
      Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…Easy Egg Muffins

Abby @ BackAtSquareZero
      June 9, 2014 at 8:39 pm

This recipe looks amazing. being GF I love that they are bun free
      Abby @ BackAtSquareZero recently posted…Race the Landing – Recap 3

Amy @ Elephant Eats
      June 10, 2014 at 1:03 pm

These are so cute! not to mention they look delicious. Love the peanut sauce!!

65 Savory Summer Recipes for Picnics & Barbecues - Cupcakes & Kale Chips
      June 20, 2014 at 9:19 pm

[…] THAI TURKEY SLIDERS WITH PEANUT SAUCE | The Healthy Maven […]

Best Low Carb Burger Recipes | All Day I Dream About Food
      July 3, 2014 at 6:17 am

[…] Thai Turkey Sliders with Peanut Sauce from The Healthy Maven […]

35 Low Carb Burgers | geeks love bacon!
      July 3, 2014 at 9:48 am

[…] Thai Turkey Sliders with Peanut Sauce from The Healthy Maven […]

Serena | Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
      July 23, 2014 at 2:26 pm

These look like the perfect appetizers!

Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy
      July 26, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Think it would be even cuter if you wrapped them up completey with the lettuce!
      Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy recently posted…Run Your Heart Out Workout

Honey Garlic Chicken Chickpea Salad - The Healthy Maven
      August 23, 2014 at 11:10 pm

[…] and not surprisingly, some of these recipes have become my favourites (I’m looking at your Thai Turkey Sliders and Apricot Barbecue […]

50 Gluten Free Holiday Appetizers | Seasonal & Savory