appetizers dips Fall gluten-free snacks vegan

Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus

September 14, 2014

A fall-theme hummus recipe for Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus. You won’t believe how creamy this dip recipe turns out!

Confession: I spent way too much on squash at the farmer’s market purely to decorate my apartment with fall decor. It was hard to say if people thought I was totally crazy or just squash obsessed. Maybe I’m both…

Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus - a delicious and seasonal hummus for fall! // thehealthymaven.comAt this point the farmer’s at the various markets I go to know me. Kind of like my friends at the grocery store who so kindly asked me to stop feeling up the avocados.

I have a complicated relationship with grocery shopping. I have a deep love for farmer’s markets but still respect the reliability of the grocery store. While I love getting my veggies fresh from the market, I can’t always guarantee that they will have what I am looking for. So I split my time 50/50 between the two. They don’t know about each other, so please don’t tell.

It’s kind of sad how much I take for granted my access to good quality food. There’s a farmer’s market across the street from me on Mondays, one that’s a short walk from my apartment on Thursdays and my local grocery store is only 4 blocks away.

Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus - a delicious and seasonal hummus for fall! // thehealthymaven.comI spend way too much time complaining about how all I want is to move away from city life, but living in a big city affords me so much accessibility that I might not otherwise have if I lived in the boonies. Then again I might have the space to grow my own food if I lived outside the city, but that’s a post for another day 😉

Back to the squash. I did indeed purchase 6 squashes that I intend only to use for decoration but I couldn’t resist roasting up some butternut squash. Most will make it’s way onto salads or in soups but I thought I would get creative with one and see how it tasted in hummus.

Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus - a delicious and seasonal hummus for fall! // thehealthymaven.comGuys….this is the creamiest hummus you will ever taste. The BNS does something to it that makes it silky smooth with a touch of sweetness to balance out the savoury. And you know me, I rarely take a second to discuss the actual recipe in a recipe post but I just needed to mention this #thesquashmademedoit.

And with that I am off to cheat on the farmer’s market with the grocery store…

Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus

Cook Time 40 mins

• 1 1/2 cups roasted butternut squash (half of a 2.5 lb butternut squash)-directions for roasting below
  • 1 1/2 T olive oil +1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (about one can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained)
  • 2 T tahini
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 T water
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/16 tsp cumin
  • freshly ground pepper

1. Preheat oven to 425.
  2. Cut butternut squash in half and scoop out seeds.*
  3. Rub 1 tsp of olive oil over insides of butternut squash (1/2 tsp on each).
  4. Place olive oil-rubbed-side down on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes.
  5. Remove from oven and let cool.
  6. Once cooled, scoop out 1 1/2 cups worth.
  7. Add butternut squash, 1 1/2 T olive oil, chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon and water to a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
  8. Add in spices and blend until well-combined.
  9. Serve with veggies, crackers or dipping of choice.
  10. Will keep in fridge for up to 1 week.

Notes

*Depending on the size of your squash you will have leftovers of squash. If you're having trouble cutting your squash, microwave on high for 4 mins to soften it up.
A fall-theme hummus recipe for Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus. You won't believe how creamy this dip recipe turns out!

Do you consider yourself more country or city? Where do you buy most of your groceries?

September 14, 2014 at 5:25 am

You did not just condense it’s name to BNS. That is amazing. The pictures in themselves makes me want to faceplant it and suffer the stomach consequences of the chickpeas.

I buy most of mine from the supermarket. Australia sell ugg boots at farmers markets.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Breakfast Recipe Round up #2

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    September 14, 2014 at 6:04 am

Butternut squash is my favorite squash. I have two sitting on my counter and can’t wait to roast one today. Love it roasted sweet or savory….I am so not a country person, definitely more city. I don’t go to farmer’s markets really, I have five grocery stores within reach so I split my time between them. It would be nice to go to just one store but I am nutty and want what I want which I can’t always get in one place.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Weekly Workouts Recap 9/8/14-9/14/14

Ann
    September 14, 2014 at 6:16 am

Mashed roasted BNS is amazing. I made savoury pancakes with it yesterday, so yummy!
    I grew up in a small village on the country and now study / live in a bigger city. I want to live in a (even) bigger city later – or rather will have to due to my boyfriend’s job. But my heart will always belong to the country so vacation will be spent there!

Tina Muir
    September 14, 2014 at 6:38 am

Yummy Davida! This is a wonderful idea! I could literaly have butternut squash ice cream and I would love it, and combining it to make hummus, thats a for sure win! I agree with the farmers market thing. I feel the same, and if i could get everything from there, I really would, but there are only so many things you can do with tomatoes, corn and green beans!
    Tina Muir recently posted…Why I Won’t Be Setting a Time Goal for my Next Marathon

Baby June
    September 14, 2014 at 7:53 am

Ooooh that looks fabulous! Such a great combination of flavors…fresh butternut squash + hummus (which is always awesome). Yum! 🙂

Joanne
    September 14, 2014 at 8:19 am

I have at least three grocery stores and two farmer’s markets that I go to on a regular basis! I definitely wouldn’t have that if I lived outside the city. What can I say…I like having options. 😛

This really does look velvety smooth and delicious. I do have half a HUGE butternut in the fridge…
    Joanne recently posted…Dulce de Leche Snickerdoodle Bars

Nicole @ Squash on Squash
    September 14, 2014 at 10:11 am

Given my obsession with squash, I am going to have to try this recipe! Well, as soon as I get access to an oven and food processor. I’m always on the lookout for squash recipes, and this one looks dangerously good!! Yummmm
    Nicole @ Squash on Squash recently posted…DIY Dorm Room Decorating {Friday Favourites}

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    September 14, 2014 at 10:22 am

I think you just found the key to my heart!!! LOVE this! I just need to grab some butternut squash- I bought all delicata, the weekend.
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…Gluten-free Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    September 14, 2014 at 11:54 am

Yummy! I buy most of my stuff at the grocery store/Trader Joe’s. Farmer’s markets in Williamsburg are good, but pretty limited in what they offer.
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…A third glass is always a good idea

Nikki @ Quest for Balance
    September 14, 2014 at 12:14 pm

This sounds sooooo good! WIth the cold weather creeping in all I want to do is eat fall vegetables. I can only imagine how delicious this combo would be. I’m also OBSESSED with these picture. They look amazing!

September 14, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Right now, I’m country because I have to be. I do prefer living in cities though – it’s annoying for me to have to drive 20 minutes to get to anything. Even a big town, I would be ok with! I finally made it to my local farmers market (local as in a ten minute drive away) and THEY HAVE $2 PUPUSAS AND I NEED TO BE THERE EVERY SATURDAY. Ahem.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Five Things Friday 09/12/14.

Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods
    September 14, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Awesome combination! I love hummus and butternut squash…so smart to combine the two. I can’t wait to try this recipe!
    Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods recently posted…The Best Protein Pancakes

September 14, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I -wish- I could do more of my shopping at the farmers’ market, but the prices here are soooo crazy, that it’s kind of hard to justify, especially when the bigger grocery stores sell local in-season produce for a fraction of the cost. And I always say I would love to live out in the country, but I think that’s a little TOO quiet for me. I need a smaller mountain town 🙂
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. link love 9/14 .

September 14, 2014 at 3:15 pm

We don’t have a lot of grocery shopping options here so I just go to the grocery store (and I have to drive because it is several miles and I shop for teenage boys!!).
    Even though we have plenty of room in our yard, I don’t grow anything – I am horrible at growing stuff.
    Kim recently posted…Resting and Running (9/7-9/13)

Emily @ Sweets and Beets
    September 14, 2014 at 5:18 pm

That looks so good. Squash makes everything better! 🙂

I’m currently living in Austin, but grew up in a more rural area. I think I’m happy to live in a city now (my early 20s), but would love to settle down in a few years in a more suburban area. The grass is always greener, though, right?

Diana @sosmallsostrong
    September 14, 2014 at 7:18 pm

HOLY YUM! I’m going to try this next weekend for some friends ‘m having over!! woohoo.
    Diana @sosmallsostrong recently posted…Protein PB&J Granola Bars

September 14, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Mmmm why have I never thought to use squash in hummus?? Seriously two of my favourite foods right here. Can’t wait to try this soon!

I try to get most of my produce at the farmers market when it’s running (it ends in October :() but I can’t always get all of them there. I’m always deciding to make new recipes at the last minute when it’s not a market day, so I have to rely on the grocery store when I do that!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…5 tasty late summer vegetable recipes

September 14, 2014 at 9:28 pm

When (not if) you come to PGH, we will have to go to Morgantown (aka my college town) and go to Black Bear Burritos. Anyway, I had butternut squash hummus there last year but I’m sure yours is a million times better. Also, my favorite fall flavor is squash, hands down.
    Cassie recently posted…Now Trending – Best Links Week of 9.8

Meg @ The Housewife in Training Files
    September 15, 2014 at 8:27 am

Oh girl you just kicked up my next hummus recipe! I was just thinking yesterday that I need to make another batch, but good thing I waited. The butternut squash on my counter is going into my hummus today. Yum!
    Meg @ The Housewife in Training Files recently posted…Goat Cheese Stuffed Meatballs with Rustic Tomato Basil Sauce

hayley @healthyregards
    September 15, 2014 at 8:28 am

Someone get me a squash! I love this (and really all things squash related). I am torn- I live in LA but definitely prefer my farmers market produce and am in the process of searching for the right CSA BUT they don’t always have everything so I rely on Whole Foods and Sprouts for my that.
    hayley @healthyregards recently posted…Lessons From The Other Side: Coaching

Kim @ BusyBod
    September 15, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Dear diary, I have yet to be able to go to the farmer’s market this year. Yes, I said this year, and yes, it’s basically fall so they are basically ending which will mean a whole glorious season sans farmer’s markets. The one in my new town is on Wednesday’s from 2-6:30. I think it’s impossible for that to be LESS convenient. Grumble. Annnd I never would have thought of butternut squash hummus but now I have to have some. Have to. xo Kimby
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Race week {weekly plan}

Thalia @ butter and brioche
    September 15, 2014 at 10:01 pm

How delicious does this hummus look.. the colours are incredible! Definitely need to recreate the recipe. Thanks for sharing it.
    Thalia @ butter and brioche recently posted…Raspberry and Vanilla Bean Friands

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables
    September 16, 2014 at 11:08 am

I could face plant in this!! YUM!

{Blogging as a Business} A Day In The Life Of The Maven - The Healthy Maven
    September 17, 2014 at 8:46 am

[…] AM – morning snack of veggies and my roasted butternut squash hummus and one too many handfuls of popcorn […]

Serena
    September 19, 2014 at 8:14 am

I like squash very much too! 🙂 I haven’t tried to make squash hummus yet so I think that thanks to your recipe, I’m on my way to do so… I used to eat baked squash with veggie mix in it in one restaurant here in Toronto. I was a gluten-free vegan and I really enjoyed it but then, I found out that some of them are those kinds of restaurants that have a gluten-free sign but the food can be contaminated because they also use the same tools for cooking the normal food so I gave it up. Now I lead normal healthy life and feel even better 😉 Thank you for this recipe. I will stretch my cooking squash menu by trying this…Very good idea, Davida!

September 21, 2014 at 10:18 am

You two timer. I always suspected you liked to juggle multiple partners and this post confirms it.

I love this hummus. I would have loved a deviled egg dip too, but I actually like this better. I also have a butternut squash hiding in my basement, staying cool and hopefully fresh for now. I have a bounty of summer produce to tackle, but when the time comes, the butternut squash will be mine. Oh yes, he will be mine. And I shall make hummus. Or maybe pasta. Or maybe pasta with this hummus inside. Oh the intrigue.

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    September 22, 2014 at 3:32 pm

I LOVE this idea! I am a huge fan of homemade hummus and this is a whole new level! I too split my time between the grocery store and the farmers market. You gotta do what you gotta do!

I love living in the city but I hate hate hate the lack of space and how gross it can be. I would love a big house in the suburbs but then I wouldn’t have access to all the things I love about the city. But if I could live on a beach that would definitely win me over.
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Babymoon in Crete, Greece

Weekly Links 09.22.14 | foodiEcology
    September 22, 2014 at 9:20 pm

[…] Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus via The Healthy Maven […]

Link Love #53 | Barr & Table
    September 23, 2014 at 5:04 am

[…] Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus – The Healthy Maven 30-Minute Stir Fried Korean Beef and Toasted Sesame Noodles – Half Baked Harvest Mini Pumpkin Pie S’mores Tarts – Treats With a Twist Lamb and Millet Tagine with Cinnamon and Prunes {Gluten-Free} – Healthy Seasonal Recipes Broken Farro Porridge with Coconut Milk, Almonds, & Roasted Plums – Blogging Over Thyme […]

How to Have a Healthy Tailgate - Almost Getting it TogetherAlmost Getting it Together
    September 24, 2014 at 7:03 am

[…] Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus from The Healthy Maven […]

Best Of September 2014 - The Healthy Maven
    October 1, 2014 at 5:00 am

[…] only is this the creamiest hummus I have ever tried, but it also saved me the 10 mins I spend at the grocery store trying to decide […]

Papas Bravas with Chamoy + 100 Gluten Free Appetizers to Ring in the New Year - Beard + Bonnet
    December 27, 2014 at 1:41 am

[…] Hummus // The Kitchen Is My Playground {GF/V}  5. Edamame Hummus // Two Healthy Kitchens {GF/V} 6. Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus //  The Healthy Maven {GF/V} 7. Roasted Garlic Beet Hummus // Running to the Kitchen {GF/V} 8. […]

The Healthiest Dip Recipes For Super Bowl
    January 27, 2015 at 8:12 am

[…] This dip is so delicious, and I bet you’ve never tried it. I love squash, and this one is combined with garlic paprikas and lemon, which adds up to one amazing dip. You can find the detailed recipe here. […]

spicy sweet potato and lemon garlic butternut hummus | sprout for joy
    February 15, 2015 at 3:59 pm

[…] hummus possibility. After some narrowing down, and a little inspiration from two of my favorite blogs, the adventurous foodie in me just couldn’t resist, and I knew I had two… […]

yvette
    October 31, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Im definetly City. But im vegetarian
    (not vegan). I eat 75% organic from the Park Slope Food Coop in Bklyn ny.