Hello from the sky! I am writing this as we attempt part #1 of our trip home from Minneapolis. I failed to mention this trip in my Best Of post on Friday because at that point a trip to Minn wasn’t on the books for the weekend.
In fact, the plan for the weekend was for C and I to skip Halloween, hibernate and veg-out for 48 hours. The kid’s been travelling pretty much non-stop for the past few weeks for work so a weekend alone together was exactly what we needed.
It didn’t quite play out that way….
Life never really plays out as you expect it to. That’s the beauty and terrifying nature of it. You can’t know what the future holds for you no matter how hard you attempt to control it. It can lead you down the path you always expected or a roadblock that forces you to turn around and reevaluate. And sometimes this means getting a reality check you never want to hear, dropping whatever preconceived ideas you had for your weekend and rushing off to Minneapolis for the weekend.
This weekend wasn’t as I imagined it would be. It was so much more. I witnessed a community of people come together to celebrate a life cut for too short and more hugs and love I ever thought possible.
It wasn’t a 48 hour Netflix binge or an afternoon spent making this Dairy-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup. Instead it was an opportunity for me to evaluate how incredibly lucky I am to be surrounded by an amazing group of family and friends. How truly fortunate I am to be able to hop on a flight for a weekend and tell them all this and more in person.
It’s getting late now and we still have to drive across the border from Buffalo till we reach our final destination. We’re exhausted from a whirlwind trip of emotions but right now I am grateful to be able to lean over and tell this adorable sleeping giant next to me how much I love him.Print
Dairy-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 16 oz mixed mushrooms (about 4 cups – I used cremini, shitake, and portobello), stems and caps chopped
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with 1 cup of water. Soak for at least 2 hours.
- Add coconut oil to a large pot and melt over med-high heat.
- Add onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add in mushrooms and continue cooking for another 3 minutes.
- Lower heat to med-low and cover pot to sweat mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to high and add in vegetable stock, dried basil, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 20 minutes.
- Add soup and cashews and soaking water to a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Serve warm.
- Will keep for several days in the refrigerator and also freezes well.
- Serving Size: 4
Want more soup ideas? Check out The Ultimate Healthy Soup Recipe Round-up!
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!