Fall gluten-free paleo sides vegan

Salt and Vinegar Brussels Sprout Chips

November 7, 2014

I’d like to believe that my creativity with chip flavours has something to do with my Canadian citizenship. For 80% of you, this makes absolutely no sense but for those of you from The Great White North you know how badass we are when it comes to flavouring everyone’s favourite salty snack.

Salt and Vinegar Brussels Sprout Chips for a salty and crunchy snack recipe made entirely with healthy ingredients including brussels sprouts, apple cider vinegar and sea salt!Ketchup chips, dill pickle chips, all-dressed chips (aka every flavour combined), you name it, we make it! I know I probably shouldn’t be so proud that we are perpetuating the junk food epidemic, but when you come from a country who produces crack-smoking mayors, monkeys in Ikea and Justin Bieber, you take what you can get.

I love when I travel and people ask me things about Canada or tell me about their favourite Canadian products and people. Even more than that I love travelling and asking non-Canadians facts about Canada. For future reference, the capital of Canada is OTTAWA.

Salt and Vinegar Brussels Sprout Chips for a salty and crunchy snack recipe made entirely with healthy ingredients including brussels sprouts, apple cider vinegar and sea salt!It’s actually kind of fun messing with non-Canadians (mostly Americans) about Canadian facts. At camp one summer we played a game called “Fool the Canadian vs. Fool the American” to which I am fairly certain I owned my bunkmates 25-1.

I suspect that if I wanted to I could probably convince them that our potato chips are made out of brussels sprouts and come in a variety of flavours including this Salt and Vinegar version. Come to think of it, it would be kind of awesome if this were actually true!

Salt and Vinegar Brussels Sprout Chips for a salty and crunchy snack recipe made entirely with healthy ingredients including brussels sprouts, apple cider vinegar and sea salt!Does anyone else save the leaves that break off the brussels sprouts and roast them separately until they are crispy? It’s basically a tradition for me and as much as I love brussels, the chips are by far my favourite part.

I have no idea why it never occurred to me that I could just peel back the leaves and roast them all as chips! Plus they’re ready in half the time, although they also seem to disappear in half the time too. Not an ounce of me is sOOOreeee aBOOT this.

Salt and Vinegar Brussels Sprout Chips

Cook Time 30 mins
Serves 4     adjust servings

• 1 lb Brussels sprouts
  • 2 T apple cider vinegar
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 tsp sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
  3. Chop off stems from brussels sprouts and using your fingers, peel leaves off from the base until you get to the center of each sprout and cannot remove anymore leaves. Repeat for each sprout.
  4. Place leaves in a bowl and top with apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Toss to coat
  5. Spread out leaves on two baking sheets and top with sea salt.
  6. Bake individually on the top rack of the oven for 7-10 mins or until leaves have crisped up but not burned.
  7. Repeat for second tray.
  8. Serve immediately.
  9. Will keep in an airtight container for several days but may not stay crispy.

Salt and Vinegar Brussels Sprout Chips for a salty and crunchy snack recipe made entirely with healthy ingredients including brussels sprouts, apple cider vinegar and sea salt!What makes your country unique? Ask me anything about Canada!

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    November 7, 2014 at 5:29 am

The roasted leaves are my favorite part! I usually eat them straight out of the oven while I have the Brussels sprouts cooking lol.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…What I’m Loving Lately – Beauty Products

erin @ The Almond Eater
    November 7, 2014 at 6:50 am

Photos=on point. I’m all about the sprouts lately, though I’ve never been much of a salt and vinegar person… I’ll stick to the salt and peppa sprout chips.
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Spiced Pear Cocktail

Miss Polkadot
    November 7, 2014 at 7:07 am

Crispy brussels sprout leaves are SO good. I’ve been slicing the sprouts in super thin slices as a casserole topping broiled only for a couple of minutes at the end of the baking time. Deeeelicious.
    Salt & Vinegar is probably my favourite chip flavour so I’ll definitely try these.
    About Germany? We’re supposed to always be in time. Let’s say I secretly suspect I can’t actually be German … I make up for that by defending white potatoes any time low carb discussions or other snark comes up.
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Lucky Scatterbrain [Best of Fall Vegetable Polenta Bake]

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    November 7, 2014 at 8:47 am

I’ve never roasted my brussel sprout leaves, which isn’t surprising since I had brussel sprouts for the first time this year. Also, we don’t have states/provinces in Trinidad and I had to explain to my cousin she could ship something she bought online to be because I did indeed live in Ontario. For a while there she thought I moved out of Waterloo. LOL
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…5 Habits of Caribbean People that help them Relieve Stress

Michele @ paleorunningmomma
    November 7, 2014 at 9:15 am

Once I saw the title I literally couldn’t wait for the page to load to see how to make these! I love love love crispy brussel sprouts and these just sound amazing.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Easy Chocolate Chips Muffins – Grain, Dairy, and Nut Free

November 7, 2014 at 10:16 am

I never would have thought to make brussels into chips! Also – our dill pickle and ketchup chips are some of the best things about our country, Best flavours ever.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Five Things Friday 11/07/14.

Ann
    November 7, 2014 at 10:19 am

For Germany there are only things unique that aren’t really healthy either. Black forest cake, curry Wurst, Spätzle (Kind of pasta), beer. But also wine, which you would love 😉 I’m from the region called Palatinate and we produce the BEST German wine! (I basically grow up in vineyards :-D)
    Does this coffee shop Horton’s still exist and is it like the Canadian starbucks? Oh, and I’ve actually been to Canada before! Price Edward island. My aunt used to have a dinner residence there. It was pretty boring though, it wasn’t summer already and all shops still were closed, and there’s nothing else. Except nice beaches but again, it was still cooold! In May! 😀

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    November 7, 2014 at 10:32 am

Yum! I’d never been a big fan of Brussels sprouts, but I’ve been seeing some awesome recipes lately that make me want to give a second chance.
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…The best classic dessert recipes

Irina
    November 7, 2014 at 10:36 am

Believe it or not, I am not a Brussels sprouts lover but I’ve always adored the crispy pieces that fall off while baking. How could I never have thought to just roast up a bunch of those pieces to make chips? Brilliant

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    November 7, 2014 at 11:26 am

Love Brussels, any way, any time!
    I think the only thing I know about Canadians is NOT to call you american! Ha!

I think the one thing Scotland is known for is its scenery – breathtaking – oh and our inventors, Scots invented everything!
    Jen @ Chase the Red Grape recently posted…How to Survive Winter!

Julia
    November 7, 2014 at 11:39 am

We Americans certainly are easy to fool…we’re a serious bunch of people who need to take a chill pill and not take things so literally (myself included). These brussels sprouts chips?! OHMYGERD what a brilliant idea! I never once those to save the outer layers and I can see these being absolutely addicting. Hey, I heard once potato chips are made out of brussels sprouts…that true? 😉
    Julia recently posted…Gluten Free Apple Cinnamon Bread

Anna
    November 7, 2014 at 1:13 pm

I eat brussels sprouts like it’s my job. I’m so addicted, and a big part of that is definitely the crunchy, salty, roasted pieces. My mouth is watering as I write. I will 100% be making these now because I can’t think about anything else!! <3 brussels.
    Anna recently posted…The Life Of An Aspiring Lawyer

Dani @ DaniCaliforniaCooks
    November 7, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Are the chips sweet since the vinegar has been reduced in the oven, or do they still have that awesome vinegar flavor? I really am inspired to make a lot of versions of these chips with kale and potatoes too!

Alysia @ Slim Sanity
    November 7, 2014 at 1:38 pm

I’m not so much into vinegar… but I’d totally try these with EVOO. 🙂
    Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted…Do you ever get tired eating the SAME thing every day?

Kelly @ Inspired Edibles
    November 7, 2014 at 2:01 pm

I love brussels sprouts chips and S & V reminds me of my native Montreal… had to smile about the need to point out Canada’s capital. See this post to understand my success rate on this very topic 😉 : http://www.inspirededibles.ca/2014/01/spicy-buffalo-cauliflower-wings-with.html

cheers, k.
    Kelly @ Inspired Edibles recently posted…Warm Sautéed Spinach with Feijoa in a balsamic beurre blanc

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    November 7, 2014 at 3:18 pm

OMG. I seriously always eat all the little outer chipped right when they come outta da oven. Like, I burn my mouth on them. These are serious. Can you bring them to the tea party with Z and C?!
    Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…Chocolate Chip Pear Blondie Bites

Lauren
    November 7, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Right that is it. I need to introduce brussels into my life again. I have seen so many good recipes with them recently!
    I really want to go to Canada! It is on my travel bucket list. Hopefully sooner rather than later!
    Lauren recently posted…Lately

Thalia @ butter and brioche
    November 8, 2014 at 2:53 am

I love anything salt and vinegar related so i definitely would love these brussels sprout chips! They look and sound seriously delicious.. pinned!

Friday Food Love (on Saturday) | A Cookie Named Desire
    November 8, 2014 at 11:54 am

[…] Salt & Vinegar Brussels Sprout Chips – I love Brussels sprout chips! […]

November 8, 2014 at 6:19 pm

What makes my country unique? Everyone is overweight? Also it’s a total melting pot. Question about Canada, have you seen eskimos? Can we go to an eskimo village? I feel like igloos would be amazing Insta backgrounds.

Good good links #64 | Let's get living
    November 8, 2014 at 6:33 pm

[…] Salt and Vinegar Brussels Sprout Chips via The Healthy Maven […]

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    November 8, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Well this is one fantastic idea!! Salt and vinegar is one of my favorite potato chip flavors…after ketchup chips 🙂 I feel like I’d down the whole batch of these brussels sprout chips in, like, 5 minutes though.
    What’s unique about America?…The ridiculous number of college choices!!
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Just RUN.

November 8, 2014 at 8:04 pm

These look really good!! I just made brussels sprouts for the first time a few months ago – hit with all boys so it was a win. I’m pretty sure they would like this version!
    Kim recently posted…Still Not Running (11/2 – 11/8)

Evi @ greenevi
    November 9, 2014 at 11:42 am

Amazing idea for the break off leaves, thank you! And please tell me you got your cups from an online shop, so I can also buy them. Please, please, please, I need them now!!!
    Evi @ greenevi recently posted…Chickpea Pizza Crust

Life Update + Links I Like #4: 11.13.14 - Bagels to Broccoli
    November 14, 2014 at 6:34 am

[…] Salt and Vinegar Brussels Sprouts via The Healthy Maven <— the Brit that I am will forever and always be obsessed with this flavor combination. […]

sue/the view from great island
    November 16, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Absolutely brilliant! Whenever I roast Brussels sprouts the little leaves that fall off and crisp up are my favorite part!
    sue/the view from great island recently posted…CRAFT TUTORIAL: Sock Drink Cozies

November 16, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Thanks, love! Kind of a stroke of genius moment when I realized how I pretty much always made the brussels for the crispy burnt leaves. Why not make them all that way?! DUH!!!

15 Minute Healthy Side Dish Recipes - The Healthy Maven
    March 6, 2015 at 5:03 am

[…] Salt and Vinegar Brussels Sprout Chips from The Healthy Maven […]

Karina
    April 7, 2015 at 7:46 pm

THESE WERE AMAZING!! Thank you for the recipe!!! 😀

Profile Blog
    July 31, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Broccoli Sprout Cream 1 Oz

[…] ato chips are made out of brussels sprouts and come in a variety of flavours inc […]

Gegul Blog
    August 27, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Bought A Broccoli Sprout Cream 1 Oz

[…] is Salt and Vinegar version. Come to think of it, it would be kind of awesome if […]

Cream Blog
    May 7, 2017 at 5:10 pm

Broccoli Sprout Cream 1 Oz

[…] brussels sprouts and come in a variety of flavours including this Salt and Vineg […]

Super Blog
    July 14, 2017 at 7:43 am

Broccoli Sprout Cream 1 Oz

[…] brussels sprouts and come in a variety of flavours including this Salt and Vine […]