breakfast drinks gluten-free paleo raw vegan

DIY Pistachio Milk

December 23, 2014

As I sit here drinking my warm cup of DIY pistachio milk (I highly recommend heating it up!) I’m thinking about social media and more specifically its role during the holidays.

Change up your usual almond milk with this easy DIY Pistachio Milk recipe! The holidays are a pretty intense time. Families convene, friends catch-up and more often than not lives are compared. This is only amplified with social media where its far too easy to share our best moments and hide the not-so-picture-perfect moments behind closed doors.

Now I’m not about to attack social media for being a highlight reel we compare to our behind-the-scenes. It is what it is and I certainly am a slave to it and admittedly I have no desire to be freed from it. What I would like to change is my reaction to it.

I’m not too concerned with those beautiful selfies and stunning travel montages but what I do get caught up on are the incessant articles and videos that find its way onto my Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts. Naturally I don’t agree with everything people post. We are all entitled to our opinions and while I respect everyone’s right to share them on their medium of choice, some of them just irk me.

Change up your usual almond milk with this easy DIY Pistachio Milk recipe!The problem with social media is not that people are sharing these things and being more vocal with their opinions, it’s how easy it has become to respond.

We have our computer screens protecting us when we disagree and instead of calling someone up or trying a more personal way of connecting when you feel attacked or violated, we leave a simple comment which more often than not can be summarized as “you suck”.

Social media has benefitted our lives in so many ways but its downfall is the lack of skills we have in telling someone face-to-face that we disagree with them. We cower behind our screens and let emotions build and either a) leave a mean comment or b) don’t say anything at all. Certainly the latter is the way to go but if you don’t have anything nice to say and can’t say nothing at all, at least say it to their face!

Change up your usual almond milk with this easy DIY Pistachio Milk recipe!One of my goals for the New Year is to take a second before I respond to anything. To remember that my initial reaction is not always my most authentic reaction. And while there are times that I wish I could tear someone apart all over their wall for having attacked me and shut up every internet troll who finds their way across my Instagram account, it won’t do me any favours in the long run.

More than anything I want to not let these things get to me so much. To be better at brushing them off . And when all else fails, having a REAL conversation with someone instead of leaving a snide comment.

On that note, I’ll be taking a back seat on SM for the holidays. I’ll be around every now and then but I could use a little bit less of it in my life right now. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas if you’re celebrating! I’ll be making pizzas with C on Christmas Eve and eating latkes and brisket on Christmas Day like a good little Jew. Merry Christmas, friends 🙂

DIY Pistachio Milk

Cook Time 6 hours 5 mins
Total Time 6 hrs 5 mins

• 1 cup raw shelled pistachios
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (or 1 vanilla bean)
  • 1 T maple syrup

1. Soak shelled pistachios in water for 6 hours. Rinse and drain.
  2. Place soaked pistachios in a blender with 4 cups of water. and blend until smooth.*
  3. Add in vanilla and maple syrup and blend until combined.
  4. Pour contents of blender through a nut milk bag into a jug.**
  5. Store in refrigerator for several days. You will need to give it a good shake before using as water may separate.
  6. Use in place of milk in cereal or baked goods, warm up for a comforting drink or add cocoa powder for a pistachio hot chocolate.

Notes

Use a high powered blender. This will not work with a food processor. *A nut-milk bag is necessary for this recipe. I recommend this kit.

Change up your usual almond milk with this easy DIY Pistachio Milk recipe! Just soak, blend and strain to pistachio milk perfection. I love this recipe with a latte!Do you find yourself being reactionary on social media? Any tips or tricks?

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
    December 23, 2014 at 8:36 am

I totally agree with you. Social media has given us the ability to voice our opinions without really requiring us to form a valid argument or own up to our opinions. I feel like it’s TOO easy to quickly comment our “strong” opinion on an article we didn’t actually read. Such is the downside of social media I suppose!
    Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted…Chili and Cornbread Skillet

Lee
    December 23, 2014 at 8:41 am

FREAKIN AMAZING. Totally only looked at the pics, but I’m a picture-book girl. Seriously these photos rock D…you make mama so proud!
    Lee recently posted…Zoodle Pasta with Mushroom and Onion Marinara and Bacon

December 23, 2014 at 9:02 am

the only reason we keep the boys around is for the pour shot…

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    December 23, 2014 at 8:43 am

First of all, this pistachio milk looks gorgeous. That color!
    I totally agree that reactions towards opinionated posts on social media become very cold and harsh because of the impersonal nature of dropping a comment. Unless I feel extremely strongly about an issue, I tend to remain quiet when it comes to opinionated, controversial posts. I post opinionated things, and I appreciate seeing others’ posts that may be completely opposite of my own beliefs. It keeps me educated and open-minded, but I usually prefer to “watch from the sidelines.”
    Happy Hanukkah, Davs!! ♥
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…I Am The Most Indecisive Person Ever

erin @ The Almond Eater
    December 23, 2014 at 9:22 am

POUR SHOT ON POINT. I’ve actually slowly decreased my Facebook time throughout the year because of the things people post. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion–that’s the beauty of social media–but when it’s something I don’t agree with I find myself getting easily irritated and annoyed and then jumping to the conclusion that I hate that person. ….rational. I need to work on telling myself ‘if that’s what they think then that’s ok’, and continuing to go on FB less. I love it for many reasons, though, so I don’t see myself giving it up anytime soon!
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Black and Coral

December 23, 2014 at 12:14 pm

That is definitely the social media downside – it’s way to easy to be anonymous and people take advantage of that. unfortunate for sure, but we have to learn to just let it roll off our backs. Have a fabulous holiday love!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…15 Facts About Me.

Mary Frances
    December 23, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Couldn’t agree more. Definitely about the craziness of holidays 😉 but also about SM being a crutch. It really does take away the meaningfulness of face to face conversations and the talent of voicing disagreements diplomatically. Way too often, I just want to ignore it and move on, and sometimes that’s a good thing (*shut up/don’t say anything/move on* 🙂 but there are also times we need to say something. I’m actually excited to put away the phone over Christmas although I’ll miss seeing your food. This pistachio milk – WOW – is genius! A glass of this sounds like heaven. Pinning! And Merry Christmas Davida!
    Mary Frances recently posted…Lemon Streusel Yeasted Coffee Cake Muffins

Ann
    December 23, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Merry Christmas, have a nice and cozy time, and enjoy the pizza 🙂

Sara
    December 23, 2014 at 4:13 pm

I always appreciate your insights. It is unpredictable what topic you will delve into next, unlike many bloggers who stick to their schedule and themes to a fault in my opinion. I am always delighted to read what you have to say, am stoked by the creativity and health of your recipes, and impressed by the glorious food photography! Happy holidays!!!

December 24, 2014 at 1:19 am

You mean we’re losing sassy Davs?

Totally hear you on the social media thing buddy. Need to often hold back many times but…yeah. Let it go. (NOT like the stupid frozen song).

I did not know pistachio milk could happen. My Iranian half is crying with joy.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Healthy Travel Snacks for all Diets

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    December 24, 2014 at 11:22 am

That green color is like the exact color of my sister’s bridesmaid dresses! SO purty. We were thinking about making a pistachio milk for Alchemy so this is some seriously fab inspiration.
    Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…Best of 2014

December 27, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Haters gonna hate. Don’t let that stuff get to you. You should only worry about the things within your control, the rest you gotta let go.

For me, I really like Instagram. I only follow a handful of people and I really try to make those relationships meaningful and count. I try to engage with comments more often than not because other words what’s the point. I haven’t had any issues with it thus far and if people post things I’m not down with, I don’t follow them. Easy peasy.

December 28, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Will you be my full-time therapist??? You are buddha. Miss ya!!!

December 28, 2014 at 5:24 pm

I will be your therapist so long as you pay me in booze, preferably mimosas. Don’t worry, I’m quite confident the alcohol will only enhance my therapeutic skills. 😉
        Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Happy Holidays

Amanda Hurlburt
    February 12, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Do I leave the shells on during the blending possess?

Tess
    February 16, 2015 at 8:36 pm

This pistachio milk looks scrumptious! I should really leave the shells on the whole time? Have never made nut milk before, so any first-timer tips are welcomed. 🙂 thanks!

February 16, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Hog no definitely don’t leave the shells on! It’s confusing but “shelled” means shells removed. Good luck!

Tess
        February 17, 2015 at 10:23 am

hahaha okay thanks SO much Davida – you saved me from a disaster. I read somewhere else that pistachios don’t need to be soaked – any thoughts on that?

Isabella Alves
    April 6, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Once your recipe I will try and for sure I will like it! thank you for always share relevant issues!

DIY Pistachio Milk – The Healthy Maven | Planet Karma Cafe
    May 10, 2015 at 3:35 pm

[…] DIY Pistachio Milk – The Healthy Maven. […]

Jess
    October 4, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Hi Davida: Thanks for this recipe. I didn’t think much of the pistachio milk straight, but it’s a lot more palatable with vanilla extract and sweetener. I added as I drank so I could use it for savory recipes. A person really has to be determined though, with the price of pistachios, the labor it took to shell them, and the wait. I’d do it again though.

Eclesio Pinheiro de Matos Filho
    November 27, 2016 at 9:59 am

Pistachio milk is good for the eyes and the palate, wonderful, I loved to know more about this product

Carol
    October 9, 2017 at 3:15 pm

Have you used the nut pulp that remains in sack for anything? Don’t want to waste it if it is usable.