Every superfood you could possibly imagine all in one bowl with this Ultimate Hippie Bowl recipe. From kale to goji berries to hemp seeds this is your inner hippie’s dream come true!
One of the biggest complaints that I hear from people when it comes to leading a healthy lifestyle is that healthy food just doesn’t taste as good. I sympathize, I really do but if I’m being totally honest I really really like the taste of healthy food.
Truth-be-told, most of the time it doesn’t taste healthy to me at all. And I’m pretty sure the surprised look that comes across people’s faces when I cook for them proves that healthy food really can taste awesome.
But then there are times when you make something that really does taste healthy. The Ultimate Hippie Bowl would be one of those recipes. If you’re anything like me, you sometimes need to pump your body full of superfoods. While I love the taste, I also love how it makes me feel.
It’s kind of like drinking green juice. I’m totally down for its taste, but it definitely doesn’t taste like a milkshake if that’s what you’re expecting. But I’m pretty sure a milkshake can’t cure my cold before it starts so you better bet I’ll be drinking my juice every now and then.
Same goes for this hippie bowl. I’ll admit that it wasn’t quite the common cold which spurred its creation. One too many not-so-green-juice drinks contributed to a bodily state that required me to not show my face in public for at least 48 hours. The things I do for free shirts…ummmmm just kidding? not really.
So anyway, after recovering from my hangover, I knew I needed ALL THE VEGETABLES. If I had an IV drip and all the ingredients for my simple green juice in the blender, that would have been ideal, but this hippie bowl totally did the trick.
It also gave me an excuse to buy out the bulk barn, which I have a not-so-secret love affair with.
Moral of the story is that sometimes healthy food does taste healthy, and sometimes that’s exactly what you need.
- 1 head of kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 lemon (reserve half for dressing)
- 1 1/2 T olive oil (1 T for kale, 1/2 T for sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 T goji berries
- 2 T pumpkin seeds
- 2 T hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup sprouts
for the tahini maple dressing
- 2 T tahini
- 1 T pure maple syrup
- 1/2 T miso paste
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 T water
- Place kale in a large bowl and top with juice from half a lemon and 1 T olive oil.
- Massage liquid into kale for about 5 minutes or until kale has wilted.
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions or use directions here.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and place sweet potato on a baking sheet.
- Top sweet potato with 1/2 T of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- When quinoa and sweet potatoes are finished, add to bowl with kale.
- Top with goji berries, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sprouts. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix together all dressing ingredients. Dressing will be thick but you can thin it out with additional water if desired.
- Top hippie bowls with dressing and mix until well coated.
- Divide bowls evenly (makes 2 large bowls) and top with avocado.
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!