dinner gluten-free salads vegan vegetarian

The Ultimate Hippie Bowl

February 22, 2015

Every superfood you could possibly imagine all in one bowl with this Ultimate Hippie Bowl recipe. From kale to goji berries to hemp seeds this is your inner hippie’s dream come true!

Every superfood you could possibly imagine all in one bowl with this Ultimate Hippie Bowl recipe. From kale to goji berries to hemp seeds this is your inner hippie's dream come true!One of the biggest complaints that I hear from people when it comes to leading a healthy lifestyle is that healthy food just doesn’t taste as good. I sympathize, I really do but if I’m being totally honest I really really like the taste of healthy food.

Truth-be-told, most of the time it doesn’t taste healthy to me at all. And I’m pretty sure the surprised look that comes across people’s faces when I cook for them proves that healthy food really can taste awesome.

But then there are times when you make something that really does taste healthy. The Ultimate Hippie Bowl would be one of those recipes. If you’re anything like me, you sometimes need to pump your body full of superfoods. While I love the taste, I also love how it makes me feel.

Every superfood you could possibly imagine all in one bowl with this Ultimate Hippie Bowl recipe. From kale to goji berries to hemp seeds this is your inner hippie's dream come true!It’s kind of like drinking green juice. I’m totally down for its taste, but it definitely doesn’t taste like a milkshake if that’s what you’re expecting. But I’m pretty sure a milkshake can’t cure my cold before it starts so you better bet I’ll be drinking my juice every now and then.

Same goes for this hippie bowl. I’ll admit that it wasn’t quite the common cold which spurred its creation. One too many not-so-green-juice drinks contributed to a bodily state that required me to not show my face in public for at least 48 hours. The things I do for free shirts…ummmmm just kidding? not really.

Every superfood you could possibly imagine all in one bowl with this Ultimate Hippie Bowl recipe. From kale to goji berries to hemp seeds this is your inner hippie's dream come true!So anyway, after recovering from my hangover, I knew I needed ALL THE VEGETABLES. If I had an IV drip and all the ingredients for my simple green juice in the blender, that would have been ideal, but this hippie bowl totally did the trick.

It also gave me an excuse to buy out the bulk barn, which I have a not-so-secret love affair with.

Moral of the story is that sometimes healthy food does taste healthy, and sometimes that’s exactly what you need.

The Ultimate Hippie Bowl

Cook Time 40 mins

• 1 head of kale, stemmed and chopped
  • 1 lemon (reserve half for dressing)
  • 1 1/2 T olive oil (1 T for kale, 1/2 T for sweet potatoes)
  • 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
  • 1 large sweet potato, chopped into bite-size pieces
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 2 T goji berries
  • 2 T pumpkin seeds
  • 2 T hemp seeds
  • 1/2 cup sprouts

for the tahini maple dressing

• 2 T tahini
  • 1 T pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 T miso paste
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 2 T water

1. Place kale in a large bowl and top with juice from half a lemon and 1 T olive oil.
  2. Massage liquid into kale for about 5 minutes or until kale has wilted.
  3. Cook quinoa according to package instructions or use directions here.
  4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and place sweet potato on a baking sheet.
  5. Top sweet potato with 1/2 T of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
  6. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
  7. When quinoa and sweet potatoes are finished, add to bowl with kale.
  8. Top with goji berries, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sprouts. Mix well.
  9. In a separate bowl mix together all dressing ingredients. Dressing will be thick but you can thin it out with additional water if desired.
  10. Top hippie bowls with dressing and mix until well coated.
  11. Divide bowls evenly (makes 2 large bowls) and top with avocado.

Every superfood you could possibly imagine all in one bowl with this Ultimate Hippie Bowl recipe. From kale to goji berries to hemp seeds this is your inner hippie's dream come true!Do you enjoy the taste of healthy food? Do you crave it like I do?

Madeline | My Fitter Life
    February 22, 2015 at 7:00 am

Haha, a hippie bowl! I like the ingredients, except the goji berries. Those are just failed cranberries, lol. I don’t understand how anyone can qualify those as tasty 😉

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    February 22, 2015 at 9:33 am

Yummy… can’t wait to whip this up! Your photos are beeeeeeeautiful!
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…Coffee Baked Oatmeal

Arlene
    February 22, 2015 at 9:47 am

My kinda lunch! Usually eat this with all my left over vegies prepared from the night before ! I’ll skip the goji berries also I just don’t like their taste. Your dressing sounds amazing going to try it today actually. Thanks and as usual I love reading your Blog!

Arlene

Kelly @ Inspired Edibles
    February 22, 2015 at 11:37 am

Absolutely GORgeous!! (had to stop by) — meal bowls, under any name, are just the best and your photos are luminous. I’ve got the Hippie Hippie Shakes 🙂 and want to eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner. xx
    Kelly @ Inspired Edibles recently posted…How lack of sleep may be sabotaging your weight loss efforts

Nora (A Clean Bake)
    February 22, 2015 at 1:03 pm

I love that this is called a Hippie Bowl. I’ve never heard that before! I am, however, a recent convert to the wonderfulness that is a buddha bowl and this seems like it is in the same family so sign me up. I love meals like this!
    Nora (A Clean Bake) recently posted…Easy Grain-Free Biscuits

She Rocks Fitness
    February 22, 2015 at 2:36 pm

I crave healthy food and love the way it makes me feel! After yesterdays pub crawl, which included lots of beer (obviously) and lots of unhealthy food, my green smoothie tasted so good this morning. It was exactly what I needed to start the day and give me that energy boost. This looks so YUMMY!
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…Scenes From The Week…

February 22, 2015 at 4:11 pm

I think healthy foods taste sexy. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Hippies aren’t half bad either.

Jordan @ The Balanced Blonde
    February 22, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Omgggg this hippie bowl is way way up my alley. When I was vegan I ate a hippie bowl full of superfoods for just about every meal of the day — even breakfast was a variation of it with oatmeal and/or green smoothie as the base. Now I don’t have them as MUCH (balance… I’m trying for it… haha), but this looks super duper good. I especially love the goji berries & hemp seeds. 🙂 And the kale and the sweet potatoes. Okay kinda everything. Hope you had a good weekend, beauty!! Xox
    Jordan @ The Balanced Blonde recently posted…How to Stay True to Yourself

February 23, 2015 at 3:11 am

Gorgeous photos buddy! I swear someone told me before going to T town of some place that served bowls like this but I forgot the name….

Oh well, i’ll need to whip this up, it screams… green.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Man Sass Mondays #2

WELL, HELLO MONDAY… | Burpees for Breakfast
    February 23, 2015 at 8:03 am

[…] my ‘I want all the food’ list: one. two. three. four. […]

February 23, 2015 at 8:47 am

This looks awesome girl! I love healthy bowls like this – especially ones with sweet potato in them.

I honestly do love the taste of healthy food too. But I think it’s important to consider flavours! I mean, throwing a bunch of random veggies in a bowl and topping them with some artificial tasting store bought dressing probably won’t taste that great. And I think that’s what turns some people off of healthy eating sometimes. But when you take the time to make recipes with deliberate flavours, healthy eating can be seriously delicious!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Fried Egg on Toast with Herb Oil

Anna
    February 23, 2015 at 10:11 am

I love this! Your recipes are so innovative! I love goji berries but wouldn’t think to add them to a mix like this, but I can totally see it working, between the quinoa and the sweet potatoes. Please open a restaurant. 🙂
    Anna recently posted…Why I’m Leaving NYC

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    February 23, 2015 at 3:12 pm

You KNOW I’m all about dissss! Gimme ALL the hemp seeds. And gojis galore.
    Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…Vegan Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins (no added sugar + oil-free)

February 23, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Yummmmmmy I love hippie bowls! I get the same way as you — I love to indulge for a day or two, but then I start to crave really healthy food because I know it makes me feel good.
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Citrus Mint Cocktails {My Saturday Happy Hour}

Chantelle | naked cuisine
    February 23, 2015 at 11:21 pm

If there was an award for hippiest hippie bowl you’d win it, the only thing missing is a straight up hash oil vinaigrette lol!
    Chantelle | naked cuisine recently posted…Double Chocolate Hazelnut Lentil Brownies

Ayngelina
    February 25, 2015 at 1:49 pm

If this is hippie then sign me up because I love all of the ingredients!
    Ayngelina recently posted…An Unfussy Approach to Wine

Evi @ greenevi
    March 5, 2015 at 12:44 pm

This looks wonderful! I am like you, I really like the taste of healthy food, so I know I’d love this bowl 🙂
    The dressing sounds delicious too, miso+tahini are just so good!

Good good links #81 | Let's get living
    March 7, 2015 at 9:27 pm

[…] – and I’m SO going to try this once zucchini prices drop again [don’t ask!]. The Ultimate Hippie Bowl via The Healthy Maven For those times when you want all the good, nourishing food at once: grains, […]

“Cheezy” Broccoli Lentil Bowls |
    March 10, 2015 at 9:11 am

[…] challenge yourself to make something that will make you feel awesome!  Whether it  be this bowl, another one, a great salad, these falafels, or any other nutrition packed delight, find what makes you feel […]

One Bowl Meals – Dinner Ideas – ALL YOU | Deals, coupons, savings, sweepstakes and more…
    May 13, 2015 at 4:01 pm

[…] Ultimate Hippy Bowl from The Healthy Maven Try this veggie bowl on a Meatless Monday—or any […]

Emily
    November 27, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Ahhhh this looks so good! I want it now. I might just have to stop being a bum while my son naps and make that deliciousness!
    Emily recently posted…Happy November: Four Tips for a Happy & Healthy You

Abi
    December 5, 2016 at 10:36 am

I believe food should be used as medicine: food should renew the body not kill it slowly. Love it!
    Abi recently posted…Diet trick #101–Green Smoothies

Cindy
    October 1, 2017 at 4:27 pm

Thank you for the wonderful recipe! I had it today (minus the goji berries, plus dried cranberries), and it was deee-lish! The alfalfa sprouts added such an earthy flavor, making it taste different from any other bowl I’ve had. I didn’t have any miso so I just added extra salt and some garlic powder. (I know, it’s not a real replacement, but the taste was very good.) I also added a little more maple syrup to the dressing. I love the addition of the seeds. They added great texture.
    Nice job putting together a tasty, healthy bowl. I’m going to try your fennel pear salad next.