drinks gluten-free Healthy How-Tos paleo smoothies snacks vegan

How To Make Green Juice In Your Blender

January 27, 2015

Don’t have a juicer? No problem! You can have green juice in minutes with this step-by-step tutorial on how to make a simple green juice in your blender.

Don't have a juicer? No problem! Here's a step-by -step tutorial on how to make green juice in your blender!It’s been 10 days since I’ve posted anything new around here so I am SO thrilled to be back with an epic post for all of you.

My trip to Costa Rica was fabulous and I’ll be recapping everything tomorrow once I’ve mustered the courage to look at the pictures and not want to teleport myself back there. It was truly one of the most spectacular places on earth.

We were totally spoiled by having a private chef cook all of our meals for us and while I love me some rice and beans, my body was dying for some veggie goodness by the end of the trip.

This always happens to me, I go a bit overboard with the treats and decadent eats and find myself needing an IV drip packed-full of vegetable juice. And by IV drip I mean I stop by Fresh Restaurant for one of their amazing green juices.

But juices get seriously expensive, FAST and it also isn’t in my budget to buy myself a juicer. So each time I feel a cold coming on or am needing a detox, I go through the same internal battle of whether or not I should sacrifice my wallet to the juice gods.

Let’s change subjects for a second here (I swear I’m getting to the point!). A few weeks ago, Blendtec offered to send me a Designer 725 Blender with Wildside+ Jar, so I did a little research on the blender and then patiently awaited its arrival.

What excited me most was that the Blendtec has a “juice” option so you can actually make juice in your blender! Now here’s the catch, what actually separates juice from a smoothie is that the fiber (or “pulp”) from the vegetables and fruit has been removed so what you’re getting is the vitamin and mineral packed juice.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with fruit and vegetable pulp. Fiber is great for the body and we all need it in our diet, but sometimes it can get in the way of our body absorbing all of those vitamins and minerals. When you drink juice (versus a smoothie), your body can absorb 100% of the good stuff, without the insoluble fiber getting in the way.

Don't have a juicer? No problem! Here's a step-by -step tutorial on how to make green juice in your blender!So I set out to recreate my favourite simple green juice using my blender instead of a juicer. The Blendtec made it super easy because the “juice” option knows exactly how long to blend the fruits and veggies for (somewhere around 1 minute). It also has a self clean option which makes cleaning the blender completely hassle-free. Considering the horror stories I’ve heard about trying to clean juicers, this is a godsend!

For the record, it has several other pre-programmed cycles including smoothies, soups, salsa and ice cream! I’ve made smoothies and soups using it and it has been fabulous. I’m looking forward to trying it out on nut butter.

Back to juicing…To get around the whole “juicing without a juicer” deal, you have to take one extra step by straining the juice through some cheesecloth to remove the fiber. If you want to drink this with the pulp, go for it! But if you want real authentic green juice, you’ll need to do the second step. It’s all good though, because I walk you through the entire process.

Besides being totally stoked about my new Blendtec, I am also so excited to kick off a new series on THM! Over the past couple of years, I’ve picked up quite a few food hacks that every healthy foodie should know. Healthy eating doesn’t need to be hard or expensive, so over the course of 2015 I will be bringing you a new “Healthy How-To” series teaching you some of these tips and tricks.

I figured what better way to kick off the series than with this How To Make Green Juice In Your Blender post?

After 10 days on vacation, I’m ready for about 5 of these!

Let’s learn how…

How To Make Green Juice In Your Blender

Cook Time 10 mins
Serves 1     adjust servings

• 1 head of kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 cucumber, coarsely chopped
  • 2 green apples, stemmed and coarsely chopped
  • 1 inch cube of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
  • 2 cups water
  • supplies: a powerful blender, several pieces of cheesecloth (a nut milk bag works too), a large bowl.

1. Place all ingredients in your blender and top with 2 cups of water.
  2. Press the "juice" button on your Blendtec and blend until done.*
  3. Place a large piece of cheesecloth over your bowl so that it covers all sides. Cut 3 pieces this size and layer them on top of each other.
  4. Place layered cheesecloth over bowl and slowly pour juice into bowl from blender.
  5. Pick up sides of cheesecloth to form a sieve and squeeze out juice. You should be left with about a cups worth of vegetable pulp.**
  6. Pour juice into a cup and drink immediately.

Notes

Or blend for about 1 minute. *You can add remaining juice pulp to soups, baked goods or smoothies, or discard.

Don't have a juicer? No problem! Here's a step-by -step tutorial on how to make green juice in your blender!To learn more about the Blendtec Designer 725 Blender, check out and follow their social channels!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube | Pinterest | Google+

This post is sponsored by FitFluential LLC on behalf of Blendtec.  I was asked to review and create a recipe using the Blendtec Designer 725, however all opinions expressed and creative control are entirely my own. Thank you for supporting the companies that help me fulfill my dream of running THM as a business.

Have you ever made juice in your blender? What healthy “how-tos” would you like to see as part of my healthy how-tos series?

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    January 27, 2015 at 6:16 am

I have this juicer thing that comes with the Magic Bullet. I fail so epicly at making juice with this thing, I seriously need to either drink that damn pulp or buy this cheesecloth. While looking at this green beauty I definitely want to buy the cheesecloth!!
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…Roadtripping, Powerlifting, CrossFitting

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    January 27, 2015 at 7:51 am

Love that last graphic thoooooo. I definitely think it depends on your blender…..my current blender is WAY better than my last one but my last one was a $30 one from Target and it couldn’t even blend ice+banana–it was tragic. But for normal people who own normal blenders, this is super helpful! Pinning 🙂
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Paleo Chocolate Strawberry Brownies

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    January 27, 2015 at 8:47 am

I don’t think I have a blender powerful enough for this, but I sure wish I did! I love green juice and would make it all the time if I had the right equipment.
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…Date night, workout recap, and other weekend things

Kelly @ Nosh and Nourish
    January 27, 2015 at 9:11 am

GORGEOUS photos!!! And super informative. #yougogirl
    Kelly @ Nosh and Nourish recently posted…Blendtec 725 + {Cauliflower & Quinoa Pizza Sticks}

Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair
    January 27, 2015 at 9:59 am

Welcome back! Can’t wait to hear all about your trip and see the photos.

I love making juice in my blender! I don’t do it enough. I will admit though that I’m guilty of spending a lot of $$$ on juices too. I always get suckered in when I see a display of green juices.
    Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday #14: Back Into the Swing of Things

January 27, 2015 at 11:37 am

Thanks GF! That damn fridge in Detox Market gets me everytime! See you at the Barre this week? Gonna try and hit a 7:15 one AM! xoxo

Georgie
    January 27, 2015 at 10:27 am

Ok, I’m mad jealz about that dope blender. It’s funny I actually make all my smoothies in a food processor- it does the trick but I’ve been dreaming of a blendtec or vitamix. Alas, no magical money pile has been dropped in my path (yet) so food processor it is.
    I love this technique though! Way less cleanup than a normal juicer (which is a pain in the ass)

Samantha
    January 27, 2015 at 11:50 am

Wow! How fabulous! I have been wondering how to get myself juice without investing in another gadget.

So happy you shared this!
    Samantha recently posted…The top three reasons you need a stretch break right now

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    January 27, 2015 at 1:47 pm

I really love this- I have a Blendtec, but I didn’t know it was so easy to create juices with it. Thanks for breaking it down. Totally trying this very soon!
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…Best Ever Skinny Sun Butter Cookies

Anna
    January 27, 2015 at 1:48 pm

This is a good product to keep in mind as I A. Am madly in love with juices and spend lots of money on them while also making them in my blender, pulp and all, and B. Will soon be moving to a place where I will have more kitchen space and will finally be able to even consider owning a counter-top anything. Thanks for the super informative post!
    Anna recently posted…Oklahoma + Dallas: A Recap

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
    January 27, 2015 at 2:49 pm

This is awesome! Sometimes I just don’t feel like getting out my juicer haha. So it would be nice to just toss it all in the Vitamix sometimes!
    Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted…5 Recipes Under 300 Calories

Em @ Love A Latte
    January 27, 2015 at 3:56 pm

This is how I like to make juice!!! Awesome post.
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…Confessions of a New Mama

Julia
    January 27, 2015 at 5:48 pm

YES! Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!!

This is magnificent! I don’t own a juicer but I have a feeling my blender would love to blend the crap out of some greens to make juice. I’m making serious doe eyes at you right now 😀
    Julia recently posted…Easy 3-Ingredient Chicken Wings with Herbs and Honey

Megan Ware, RDN
    January 27, 2015 at 6:19 pm

You explained perfectly exactly how I feel every time I get back from vaca… “needing an IV drip packed-full of vegetable juice!”
    Megan Ware, RDN recently posted…Peach Butter, Pecan & Aged Cheddar Mini Grilled Cheeses

Jayme
    January 27, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Great recipe! I definitely need to upgrade blenders asap! I probably could buy a new one for what I have spent in juices at Whole Foods. In fact, I could probably buy a house to put the blender in too – ha.
    Jayme recently posted…Kickin’ It Old School

January 27, 2015 at 8:27 pm

what an epic new toy in your possession! The pulping process looks cray- Niki has a juicer but I think she thinks it’s a decoration but I have a blender. winning.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Spicy Sweet Potato and Pumpkin Dip

Nora (A Clean Bake)
    January 29, 2015 at 10:03 pm

What an AWESOME trick! I’m in the same boat as you: no juicer (and no space for one) but no budget for daily store-bought juices. Man those things add up fast. I am going to try this!
    Nora (A Clean Bake) recently posted…Portobello Mushroom and Kale Turkey Burgers with Cabbage Kale Slaw (And a giveaway!)

January 30, 2015 at 11:56 am

I haven’t made juice in my blender… I’ve really only used my juicer twice. Whoops. I swear I’m going to pull it out and use it, soon!!
    Cassie recently posted…Now Trending – Best Links Week of 1.26

Must Reads: How to Follow Beyonce's Vegan Diet
    February 6, 2015 at 11:15 am

[…] Love green juice but not the high price per bottle? If you don’t have a juicer…and don’t want to shell out $5 a pop (at least) any time you want a liquid dose of greens, the answer might already be in your kitchen. If you’re willing to put a little work — and cheesecloth – into it, here’s how to make juice that’s just as smooth, using your blender. (The Healthy Maven) […]

The Ultimate Hippie Bowl - The Healthy Maven
    February 22, 2015 at 5:02 am

[…] my hangover, I knew I needed ALL THE VEGETABLES. If I had an IV drip and all the ingredients for my simple green juice in the blender, that would have been ideal, but this hippie bowl totally did the […]

How To Cook Bacon In The Oven For The Crispiest Bacon
    February 27, 2015 at 5:00 am

[…] month we did how to make green-juice in your blender, which was a huge hit! But now that we’re done detoxing from January, it’s time to […]

Fred
    March 17, 2015 at 12:11 am

Back in the mid 90’s I tried hard core wheat grass juicing. I actually grew my own wheatgrass in my “living room” – I was single living with a roommate at the time. I had seven cafeteria trays stacked on seven shelves one on top of the other. I harvested one tray per day, since it takes wheat grass a week to grow to about 7 inches high. One tray made enough for 8 oz. each morning. Wheatgrass has a sweet taste but can make you gag at the same time. Its an odd combination. I did it for two weeks. Couldn’t stomach it after that. It is to regular juice what 100% proof vodka is to wine. Having said all that, my wife recently got into juicing in a better way, and we tried your recipe above. I have to say, much more enjoyable. Ginger is the secret ingredient in many a recipe. Fred.
    Fred recently posted…Three Shocking Myths About Store Bought Orange Juice

{Maven Travels} 5 Days in Dublin, Ireland - The Healthy Maven
    March 24, 2015 at 7:47 am

[…] by making it until 10:00 PM. I’m like a new woman. Who needs a liver replacement. Or a lot of green juice…Thank you for the best of times Temple […]

How To Make Bone Broth In Your Slow Cooker - The Healthy Maven
    March 27, 2015 at 7:26 am

[…] How To Make Green Juice In Your Blender […]

How To Make Homemade Kombucha - The Healthy Maven
    April 28, 2015 at 5:00 am

[…] How To Make Green Juice In Your Blender […]

Last Vegan
    December 1, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Definitely worth of trying, especially during windy weather like the one we are experiencing right now in North-East Scotland.

Elena B
    December 11, 2015 at 3:17 pm

I’ve had certain liver issues in the past so i am juicing for quite some time. No sugar, no gluten and no dairy. It is really really working out for me. My liver test results are back to healthy and i’ve even got rid of some extra pounds. I started enjoying all my daily shakes and juices, and just lately i started with Organifi green juice and this stuff is supergood. It truly is yummy also it saves me time and effort. Never before i was using anything similar to this but this is golden. Look it up here if you wish http://goo.gl/0QGP4e

mailoha
    December 27, 2015 at 1:10 am

is there a way to make this with a vitamix?

Blender Juice
    February 29, 2016 at 11:20 am

I love that you do it in the blender instead of buying another kitchen product. I’ll have to try it out. Thank you 🙂
    Blender Juice recently posted…Top 5 Blenders for 2016

Siobhan
    October 9, 2016 at 10:53 am

I went and bought everything I need to start drinking this juice in the morning along with a few other healthy mix green recipes. I don’t have much time in the mornings. Can you make this in the evening and have it hold up till morning? Or maybe make a pitcher for the week?

October 10, 2016 at 12:02 pm

In theory, yes! There is some research on how the benefits decrease with more oxygen exposure, but IMO it’s already so nutrient-packed that you just have to do what you can!

Uvalin Williams
    October 14, 2016 at 7:35 pm

If I blend my ingredients out very smooth do I still have to strain it?

October 17, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Straining it is to remove the fiber and pulp. While there are many benefits to drinking this (feel free to!), traditional juice has this removed so the liquid is broken down by the liver rather than having to pass through the digestive organs. Hope this helps!

Audrey Yap
    December 10, 2016 at 6:44 pm

I’ve got a great Green Juice recipe as well! And the best part is it doesn’t taste green at all! Check it out here:

Audrey Yap
    December 10, 2016 at 6:45 pm

I’ve got a great Green Juice recipe as well! It tastes amazing! And the best part is it doesn’t taste green at all! Check it out here:
    Audrey Yap recently posted…RECIPE: Green Juice That Doesn’t Taste Green! (Using a blender)

Luna
    August 22, 2017 at 3:35 am

Thank you for the great tips! A piece of cheesecloth is a great idea – I find it quite heard to drink a juice with too much pulp in it.