gluten-free paleo sides vegan

Crispy Baked Yuca Fries

March 17, 2015

Change up your typical potato side with these Crispy Baked Yuca Fries! They’re crispy on the outside, soft on the inside with a kick of spice. No frying and just a tablespoon of olive oil in the whole recipe!

Change up your typical potato side with these Crispy Baked Yuca Fries! They're crispy on the outside, soft on the inside with a kick of spice. No frying and just a tablespoon of olive oil in the whole recipe!Dear potato, I love you. But sometimes I just need a break. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, so this separation will only bring us closer together. Please forgive me for cheating on you with yuca.

It all started in Costa Rica when our chefs got me absolutely hooked on yuca. Yuca (sometimes called Cassava) is a root vegetable similar to the potato with a waxy outer skin and a starchy center. It is native to South and Central America and used quite widely in Latin cooking.

Before Costa Rica, my only experience with yuca was either in Latin restaurants or in tapioca flour (which comes from the cassava/yuca plant) but I had never attempted to cook it at home. If I’m being totally honest, the waxy skin kind of freaked me out.

Change up your typical potato side with these Crispy Baked Yuca Fries! They're crispy on the outside, soft on the inside with a kick of spice. No frying and just a tablespoon of olive oil in the whole recipe!But variety is the spice of life and I’m pretty sure I was developing some kind of vitamin deficiency from my potato addiction so I made sure to not leave Costa Rica until I learned how to prepare yuca.

It was a bit tricky for me to understand what was happening thanks to the fact that I was the only person out of 17 of us who didn’t speak spanish but I took in what I could with my eyes.

The most important observations were that a) that creepy outer skin is easily discarded with a vegetable peeler and b) unlike potato it must be boiled before it can be fried or baked.

Change up your typical potato side with these Crispy Baked Yuca Fries! They're crispy on the outside, soft on the inside with a kick of spice. No frying and just a tablespoon of olive oil in the whole recipe!Other observations included:

“Holy cow! Yuca is the ultimate gift from the vegetable gods!”

“Potatoes? Who eats potatoes?”

“Why you gotta go dunking that beauty of a vegetable in canola oil? Must recreate at home!”

So immediately upon arriving home I ran to the grocery store, dug through the potato section to find some yuca, spent 10 minutes trying to convince the cashier at the grocery store that I didn’t just find this strange root on the ground and that they did in fact sell it in their stores. Then I hit the kitchen and this is how these Crispy Baked Yuca Fries were born.

Dear potato, I don’t know how I feel about being exclusive. I would rather be in an open relationship with you and yuca. You can be sister wives and we can be one big happy family. I hope you can find it in your heart to understand.

Crispy Baked Yuca Fries

Cook Time 45 mins
Serves 4     adjust servings

• 2 large yucas
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
  2. Peel yucas with a vegetable peeler to remove waxy skin.*
  3. Chop in half and then slice each half into fry-shapes.
  4. Place sliced yucca into a large pot and fill with water.
  5. Heat on stovetop until water comes to a boil. Let cook in boiling water for 8-10 minutes.
  6. Strain yucca from water and rinse with cold water.
  7. Place yucca in a large bowl and top with olive oil.
  8. Sprinkle with chili powder, salt and pepper and lightly toss to coat.
  9. Line onto a baking sheet (do not overcrowd) and bake for 15 minutes.
  10. Remove from oven and flip.
  11. Place back into oven and cook for another 15 minutes.
  12. Serve warm.

Notes

*The inside of the yuca should be stark white. If there are black lines, discard and use another yuca.

Change up your typical potato side with these Crispy Baked Yuca Fries! They're crispy on the outside, soft on the inside with a kick of spice. No frying and just a tablespoon of olive oil in the whole recipe!Have you ever tried yuca? What’s your current food rut?

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    March 17, 2015 at 7:07 am

i have not yet eaten yuca…need to change that as these fries look beyond delish!
    Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health recently posted…Everyday Essential Kitchen Tools

Michele @ paleorunningmomma
    March 17, 2015 at 1:42 pm

I make mine almost exactly the same except I toss in coconut oil instead of olive. They are delicious, one of my favorite fries for sure!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Learning How to Fall

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    March 17, 2015 at 5:45 pm

I haven’t had any since I was home for Christmas a couple years ago but cassava is the bomb.com I’ve never heard it called yuca before though :/
    Ah wells, either way, still good 😀
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…20 Healthy Green Breakfast Recipes For St. Patty’s

March 17, 2015 at 6:13 pm

I had a patient once from Mexico who liked to eat yuca! I’ve never tried it myself, but you’ve definitely got me intrigued.

My current food rut is chickpeas. I swear I’ve gone through like 4 cans of them in the past month haha.
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Matcha Chia Pudding with Sweet Dukkah

March 18, 2015 at 1:50 am

You take that back about the potatoes…..
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Breakfast Around the Tan + Man Sass Mondays #5

Anna
    March 18, 2015 at 2:41 pm

YU-reek-A! This looks sooooo delicious.
    Anna recently posted…Escape To Ireland: In Photographs

Veronica
    March 19, 2015 at 9:12 pm

These look delicious. Is there a dipping sauce you’d recommend to go with them?

sarah
      May 7, 2016 at 6:41 pm

Chipotle Mayo, garlic & olive oil (mojo/mojito) , mustard, ketchup…anything works really 🙂

Shannon
    March 20, 2015 at 6:17 pm

I have never even heard of a yucca before. Where do you even buy them? I have got to find one now!
    Shannon recently posted…Banana Bran Muffins

sarah
      May 7, 2016 at 6:43 pm

You can usually find them in the frozen section near the vegetables. these are already peeled!

Dougie
      November 22, 2016 at 8:55 am

Here in Texas, they are in the produce area, next to the potatoes

Ally @OmNomAlly
    March 21, 2015 at 8:40 pm

These look sooooo good! Yuca is a new ingredient for me, it’s only in the last 12 months that I’ve even seen it available in Australian grocers. Even then I haven’t really know what to do with at home lol. Thanks for sharing this recipe, I’ve Pinned and shared it so I have some inspiration when I finally buy some cassava 🙂

March 22, 2015 at 4:57 pm

I just stuck a giant dish of potatoes in the oven so I think your paramour is paying me a visit, and I like it. Don’t worry, I’ll send him back when I’m done.

The yucca looks a bit stringy, more like a squash can be. Is that right? I’m fascinated.

lynsey | lynseylovesfood
    March 22, 2015 at 8:16 pm

i need to try Yuca stat…. these look amazing. thanks for bringing into my life. xo
    lynsey | lynseylovesfood recently posted…Hey Bartender: 3 Basic Whiskey Cocktails You Need to Know

25 Meatless Monday Recipes for SPRING - C it Nutritionally
    March 23, 2015 at 7:27 am

[…] Crispy Baked Yuca Fries via The Healthy Maven […]

Lori @ TheHealthMinded.com
    March 29, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Oh yes! Yucca is so delicious and I especially love it when it is spiced up like this. Chili powder should do the trick! Pinning for later —
    Lori @ TheHealthMinded.com recently posted…How to Create Your Strongest Relationships In One Easy Step

Someone
    August 14, 2015 at 6:10 pm

I made exactly as written, but the yucca were mushy after boiling! I recommend not boiling for long, or at all. This did not turn out well for me.

Adriana
    February 3, 2016 at 6:28 pm

Haha loved your brief story on yucca. Thanks for the detailed recipe! I’ll try it right away 🙂

Ella
    March 11, 2016 at 5:09 pm

I am astounded that people did not know about Yucca!! It is eerywhere you go in the stores!! In krogers, Walmart!! People neet to be more detailed when they are going grocery shopping

March 13, 2016 at 11:20 am

agreed! I’ve been seeing it a lot more often lately. You just have to be on the lookout for it!

Mike
        June 16, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Boiling for ten minutes makes mashed yuca.

Angela
    July 3, 2016 at 7:25 pm

Hi Davida, I’ve been using your recipe for awhile altho I skipped the stehp on boiling first. When I had yuca fries in a resto, theirs was so much softer inside and they told me they boiled it first. Yummy, altho fried with great sauces. Decided to try your recipe again and boiled for 7 minutes and let it stand for 3 minutes. Wow, cooked also at your temp (as before when I didn’t boil only baked at 375 degrees) with coconut oil and delish!! Thanks so much 🙂

Elexis
    July 15, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Hi Davida! Can I prep the fries a day before I make them?

Stef
    July 20, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Loved the recipe, definitely going to try it out. I’ve been eating Cassava since I was a kid and I absolutely love it till this day. My mom use to grate the Cassava and form little hash browns with them before deep frying them in a pan. The oil brought out the crispness and the sweetness of the root. She serves it with a Latin coleslaw and it is bomb! Too bad now I can’t eat as much as I use to but your recipe gives me hope to eat Cassava in a much healthier way, heh.

Curtiss
    February 12, 2017 at 12:46 pm

So lets get started, first go to eBay and buy Yucca or Cassava cuttings, then plant them in your back yard or garden. In a year or so you have plenty of Yucca for you very own fries. I have over 100 trees growing in my back yard in Florida, they may not grow in the north very well, but if you can you should grow your own. Plant and forget for the most part, they grow in good to awful soil all on their own. The better the soil the faster to harvest though.

Enjoy!!

Debbie Young
    February 26, 2017 at 9:06 pm

I did the 10 minute pre boil and they kind of fell apart. Did I do something wrong?

Diane
    March 5, 2017 at 6:38 am

What is the nutritional info on this? Especially carbs

Ernie Perez
    April 2, 2017 at 9:53 pm

As a native Costarrican and an avid cook, may I suggest that you boil the peeled yuca till it’s soft like a potato.
    Finely dice some garlic and fry it in some olive oil with some lemon juice and salt to taste and pour over the yuca while everything is hot.
    If you have any left over fry them like a french fry and think of me while you enjoy a “tico” pronounced (tee ko) treat.
    Their great with Mayo.

Stephanie
    April 28, 2017 at 6:52 pm

I was bummed after I boiled for 8 min and found they were too mushy to make anything but mashed yuca:(
    10 minutes is too long to boil them unless maybe you made giant chunks!!

Amanda
    August 10, 2017 at 7:31 pm

These turned out delicious! I loved them. I omitted the chili powder and pepper to make them AIP-friendly, and I also used coconut oil instead of olive. I’ll try olive next time. I found they didn’t need quite as long in our oven, and they were done after about 20 minutes. Thanks for a great recipe – will be trying again soon! 🙂