Healthy How-Tos

How To Make Homemade Nut Flours

May 26, 2015

Ever wondered how to make homemade nut flours? From almond meal to almond flour, hazelnut meal and even cashew meal, this step-by-step tutorial will teach you how!

Ever wondered how to make your own nut flours? From almond meal to almond flour, hazelnut meal and even cashew meal, this step-by-step tutorial will teach you how!How are we five months into my Healthy How-To Kitchen Hacks series?! NUTS! Speaking of nuts…

I asked you guys on Facebook which how-to nut series you wanted to see first?

1) Nut flours

2) Nut Milks

3) Nut Butters

It was actually a close call between all 3 but nut flours came out on top. My guess for why they won out is because nut flours can be so insanely expensive that it’s actually more worthwhile to make them at home just to save yourself a couple of bucks. Over time it really does add up!

From almond meal, to almond flour (yes they’re different..), to cashew meal and hazelnut meal, nut flours come in all sorts of varieties and can make an awesome low-carb and grain-free alternative to standard grain flours.

Ever wondered how to make your own nut flours? From almond meal to almond flour, hazelnut meal and even cashew meal, this step-by-step tutorial will teach you how!If you’re a THM regular then you know how much I love my nut flours.

Today I’m walking you through the process on how to make them at home using your blender. It literally takes 10 seconds and while the nuts themselves certainly aren’t cheap, it’s substantially cheaper than the jacked-up prices you often see for nut flours in stores.

Technically if the skin is still on the nut it is considered a “meal” rather than flour, but a huge kitchen hack to make ALMOND FLOUR is to just buy slivered or sliced blanched almonds and grind those! So much easier and cheaper than buying almond flour or blanching the almonds yourself.

So grab your blender and let’s get nuts! How many nut jokes do you think I can get away with in this post?

How To Make Homemade Nut Flours

Cook Time 2 mins

For Almond Meal

For Almond Flour

For Cashew Flour

For Hazelnut Meal

For Almond Meal:

1. Place almonds in blender and blend on high for 10 seconds or just until almonds are broken up but do not blend for long enough that they become "butter-like" consistency.

For Almond Flour:

1. Place blanched almonds in blender and blend on high for 10 seconds or just until almonds are broken up but do not blend for long enough that they become "butter-like" consistency

For Cashew Flour:

1. Place cashews in blender and blend on high for 8 seconds or just until cashews are broken up but do not blend for long enough that they become "butter-like" consistency

For Hazelnut Meal:

1. Place hazelnuts in blender and blend on high for 12 seconds or just until hazelnuts are broken up but do not blend for long enough that they become "butter-like" consistency

Notes

*Times will vary by blender. I use a Blendtec Designer Series. You can use a food processor but I find you get a better texture with a blender. If using a food processor you'll want to process for slightly longer than the blender.

Ever wondered how to make your own nut flours? From almond meal to almond flour, hazelnut meal and even cashew meal, this step-by-step tutorial will teach you how!Wondering what to do with all this nut flour? Here are some delicious recipes from The Healthy Maven and beyond made with nut flours!

Gluten-Free Hazelnut Pancakes from The Roasted Root (hazelnut meal)

Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Gnocchi from Heartbeet Kitchen (almond flour)

Grain-Free Chocolate Zucchini Muffins from The Healthy Maven (almond meal)

Grain-Free Sugar Cookie Cut-outs from Fit Foodie Finds (cashew meal)

Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Scones from All Day I Dream About Food (hazelnut meal)

Paleo English Muffins from Running to the Kitchen (almond or cashew meal)

Paleo Lemon Poppyseed Muffins from The Healthy Maven (almond flour)

Paleo Mocha Almond Pancakes from The Healthy Maven (almond meal)

The Best Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies from The Healthy Maven (almond meal)

Zesty Chicken Bites from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen (almond meal)

Do you use a lot of nut flours in your cooking and baking? What Healthy How-To Kitchen Hack should I do next?

Les @ The Balanced Berry
      May 26, 2015 at 8:18 am

love love love this! I’m all about nut flours (cashew meal has a special place in my heart), especially in baked goods.
      Les @ The Balanced Berry recently posted…The Best Kale Summer Salad

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
      May 26, 2015 at 9:36 am

Been waiting on this post since you shared it on snapchat lol
      I’ve never used nut flours or meals in my baking but it’s one of my goals for the summer. I almost bought some almond meals at Bulk Barn this weekend but decided to get almonds to make my own at the last minute. So thanks for the tutorial 😀
      GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…10 Grocery Shopping Mistakes (almost) Everyone Makes

Stella
      May 26, 2015 at 9:49 am

Thank you Davida! Can I do the same to get peanut flour? Ever since I read Lee’s high praise of peanut flour and how much she likes to bake with it I’ve been lamenting that I cannot buy it where I live, so I would live to make it at home. I was just afraid it would turn into peanut butter. Or should I do something differently than just pulse the peanuts? Thank you!
      Stella recently posted…Colourful Avocado Egg Spring Salad

May 26, 2015 at 10:45 am

Hi lovely! I wouldn’t suggest trying it with peanut flour. Typically peanut flour is defatted which is why it’s more of a powdery consistency. You could certainly try it and it very well may work in place of almond meal but it won’t be the same as the peanut flour you buy in stores!

Stella
          May 26, 2015 at 11:48 am

Oh, I was afraid of something like that. *sighs* 🙁
          I’ve never had peanut flour but it sounds so exciting, I wanted to have some homemade version. Well, we’ll see, maybe I’ll try. Thanks Davida!
          Stella recently posted…Colourful Avocado Egg Spring Salad

May 26, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Try ordering off amazon! I think that’s where Lee gets hers 🙂

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl
      May 26, 2015 at 11:09 am

This is fantastic! Thanks so much for testing all of these out. I need to start saving money by making my own, especially when it is super simple!
      Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…Chocolate Chili Almond Butter Toast {Vegan + Gluten-Free Option}

Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together
      May 26, 2015 at 12:23 pm

I had no idea that blanched almonds are what made the difference between almond meal and almond flour. I’m trying not to eat sweets right now (losing the marathon weight) but I want those hazelnut chocolate chip scones… WHAT!?
      Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together recently posted…Summer Camping Essentials

May 29, 2015 at 6:30 pm

oh staaaaap you’re a babe! Run to me and I’ll serve you 1000 hazelnut scones. k cool.

Mary Frances
      May 26, 2015 at 1:51 pm

Love all your photos in this post! They’re super helpful and super pretty too (jealous of your lighting 🙂 ) I’ll be honest, the main reason I don’t work with nut flours is because they are so darn expensive. I cannot wait to give the homemade almond flour and cashew flour a go!
      Mary Frances recently posted…Oatmeal Pecan Chocolate Chip Mug Cake

May 29, 2015 at 6:30 pm

I agree! Even nuts on their own are expensive but I’m just blown away by the price difference between them sometimes since they really are just ground-up nuts!

May 26, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Great hack!!! I heard there’s also such thing as walnut flour too! Have to try that. AND I want hazelnut pancakes now!! 😛
      Cassie recently posted…Going _____?! + Shirataki Comfort Chicken Pho

Lexi @ Lexi's Clean Kitchen
      May 27, 2015 at 10:52 am

This post is AMAZING.

Sarah Berneche
      May 27, 2015 at 10:39 pm

What an awesome guide; the visuals are so helpful. I’ve baked with almond flour/meal quite a bit and use cashews all the time, but have somehow never used hazelnut meal. I see a Nutella crust in the cards…
      Sarah Berneche recently posted…RAW CACAO HAZELNUT CREAM RECIPE WITH STRAWBERRIES

The Sunday Skinny 5/31/15 - Skinny Fitalicious
      May 31, 2015 at 5:01 am

[…] How To Make Homemade Nut Flours via The Healthy Maven – Who would think it’s that easy? […]

Blueberry Hazelnut Crumb Bars - The Healthy Maven
      June 17, 2015 at 5:00 am

[…] only is my house overflowing with frozen blueberries, but after this post the nut flour situation is completely out of […]

Brenda
        November 7, 2015 at 6:31 pm

I am using freshly cracked hazelnuts. Do they need to be roasted first with skins removed? Thanks!
        Brenda recently posted…Spiralized Apple Crumble

demi
      November 25, 2015 at 7:36 am

hi..some sites or brands say that nut flours are made with defatted nuts.or else its just nut meal.if i want to defat them at home should i make nut milk first?or grind to a fine flour whole nuts blanched or not are the same and i can use it in recipes that call for a nut flour from a brand?

November 25, 2015 at 9:18 am

Hi Demi, thanks for your feedback. The only nut (although not quite a nut) I’ve seen defatted is peanut flour. Otherwise I’ve yet to come across any defatted nut flours. I wouldn’t recommend using them in place of recipes that call for standard nut flours as it will likely affect the fat ratio in the recipe and implicate the results. I’m unsure of how to defat the nuts at home, unfortunately. As for the nut meals/nut flours. Yes, you can use them in place of recipes that call for store-bought versions.

Milly
          July 9, 2017 at 5:53 pm

If you want your nuts defatted then you simply need to grind them, add little bit of water,mix , squeeze off all the liquids and then dry the floor in the oven, out in the sun or on a skillet. You can use the liquids produced as nut milk. Its important to soak and wash the nuts especially the once you’ll be grinding with the skin on in order to make the milk safe for drinking.Hope its helpful

Sean
      June 7, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Great guide! Does the blended product need to be run through a sifter to separate the smallest pieces? Or is it good as flour as is?

Lynn
      August 13, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Can walnut flour be used like almond flour? Walnut is the cheapest nut I can find.

Juliane
        September 8, 2017 at 7:39 pm

too fatty- turns into butter. Unsure if perhaps you toasted them if that might mitigate some of the fats~ you could test it, and then have a banana handy to test the final product. 🙂

Kristine
      October 3, 2016 at 7:42 am

OMG! Thank you sooo much for all of this information. Was trying to track down almond flour and discovered how expensive it was. Now I can make my own for half the price and its so easy. I cannot thank you enough. Finding all of this info will make baking so much more fun for myself and the kids.

Ms P Pieretti
      October 3, 2016 at 1:58 pm

I was wondering if there was any way to get it as fine as the Sunkrin peanut flour ? Because I often use food processor to make my own nut butter, but doesn’t quite come out as finely ground as that.

Josephine
      November 15, 2016 at 7:38 am

Hello! Thank you for this post!!! So very helpful. How long do these last for.. Shelf life. Thank you ❤️

Praymah
      December 6, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Hi… can I mix the nut flour in warm milk to drink especially for kids?

Praymah
      December 6, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Hi, can I mix the nut flour in warm milk to drink? Or do I need to roast the nuts before blend?

Praymah
      December 6, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Hi, can I mix the nut flour in warm milk and drink? Or do I need tp roast the nuts before blend…?
      Praymah recently posted…Chipotle Black Bean Hummus

Shirley
      January 31, 2017 at 5:39 pm

Hi, so is almond meal and almond flour one and the same with the exception of the skins and can therefore be used in recipes where it calls for one or the other?
      Thanks in advance!

Juliane
      September 8, 2017 at 7:34 pm

Greetings! In an effort to make pancakes my husband would eat, I proceeded to make almond meal, peanut flour, walnut meal, and pecan meal. All but the almonds turned to paste~ which not being one to waste a good thing have added to the recipe so please say a prayer they turn out alright. Almonds appear to be the soul winner for meal/flour. The others are too fatty to make anything other than nice spread for banana sandwiches. 🙂