appetizers breakfast gluten-free Healthy How-Tos lunch vegan

How To Grill Avocados + Life-Changing Grilled Avocado Toast

July 7, 2015

A quick and easy tutorial teaching you how to grill avocados plus a life-changing recipe for grilled avocado toast. Your life will never be the same once you discover the glory of grilled avocados!I dropped the ball on my Healthy How-To series in June. I was devastated for a second but then I realized that a) none of you cared and b) I have this tutorial and recipe to make up for it. Sometimes the best things in life are worth waiting for. You’re welcome.

June was a crazy month. My lack of posting is evidence of that. Care for further evidence? Have a look to see the number of times I ate avocado toast for breakfast, lunch and dinner in June on Instagram. It’s a lot.

Because when you’re short on time and overwhelmed on life the only answer is Avocado Toast.

An easy and delicious breakfast or snack recipe for grilled avocado toast. Add some smokeyness to your next avocado toast with this epic version!Eating it everyday forces you to get creative with your avocado toast variations. In the last month I’ve done everything from hemp seeds, to peaches to dill pickle avocado toast. None have been anything less than stellar. But by far the winner has to be Grilled Avocado Toast. Because the only thing better than avocados plain and simple are barbecued avocados.

Minus the fact that Jess and I nearly burned our eyebrows off during our little maven grill sesh, grilling avocados is WAY easier than you think. I almost feel bad posting this as a recipe…but since you’re kind of getting two for the price of one I will probably still sleep tonight.

A quick and easy tutorial teaching you how to grill avocados plus a life-changing recipe for grilled avocado toast. Your life will never be the same once you discover the glory of grilled avocados!Be prepared for the epic number of ways you will find yourself eating grilled avocados. In just one weekend I ate this avocado toast (twice), threw some on top of this Southwestern Quinoa Salad, with poached eggs for Saturday morning brunch and just straight-up coated in sriracha because I’m classy like that.

So heat up those BBQs or grill-pans and grab yo’ Avocados from Mexico because you’re about to experience the greatest thing since sliced bread.

…sliced bread + grilled avocado.

(Cue NYC restaurant selling this recipe for $30 a pop)

Okay let’s be real, I’d sell my dignity and then some for a piece of avocado toast. And so would you.

How To Grill Avocados + Life-Changing Grilled Avocado Toast

PREP TIME 2 mins
Cook Time 5 mins

For the Grilled Avocados

• 3 ripe avocados
  • olive oil

For the Grilled Avocado Toast

• 3 grilled avocados
  • 6 slices of whole-grain or gluten-free bread*
  • juice, 2 whole limes
  • Rock salt or himalayan sea salt
  • optional: red pepper flakes

For the grilled avocados:

1. Heat up your BBQ or grill-pan to medium-high heat and spray with non-stick spray.
    2. Cut avocados in half and remove pits.
    3. Brush inside half of each avocado lightly with olive oil.
    4. Place face down on BBQ or grill-pan for about 5 minutes (BBQ temps vary). Press down occasionally to ensure grill marks are created and heat penetrates.
    5. Using tongs remove from grill and set aside until ready to eat.

For the Grilled Avocado Toast:

1. Scoop out flesh from avocados and place in a large bowl.
    2. Juice limes into bowl and using the back of a fork or a potato masher, mash up avocados until chunky but spreadable.
    3. Toast bread (if desired) and top with avocado-lime mixture.
    4. Sprinkle with salt and red pepper flakes if using.
    5. Eat immediately.

Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written on behalf of my ongoing partnership with Avocados from Mexico Canada. All content and creative direction are entirely my own… not that it was hard considering I’m certifiably obsessed with avocados.

AFM_TAG_AF_logo_HorizCMYK

Have you ever grilled avocados? What’s your favourite avocado toast combo? Aka feed me through July.

Emily @ Sinful Nutrition
      July 7, 2015 at 8:33 am

Grilling avocados never even crossed my mind. Definitely a game changer!
      Emily @ Sinful Nutrition recently posted…America Runs on Steak Fajitas

July 7, 2015 at 9:09 am

Welcome to the great big world of grilled avocados! There’s no turning back now 😉

Michele @ paleorunningmomma
      July 7, 2015 at 9:42 am

I can only imagine this is nothing less than insanely delicious! Going to try it out ASAP.
      Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Paleo Almond Butter Jam Bars with Chocolate

July 8, 2015 at 6:43 am

Yes! Get ready to have your socks blown off. I legitimately dream about grilled avocados now…

Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together
      July 7, 2015 at 10:28 am

Avocado toast topped with a little honey and salt and scrambled egg whites with goat cheese. Your welcome.

Your love for Avocado Toast is yet another reason why you belong in SF.

Miss you and thanks for passing the crazy June torch onto crazy July for me.
      Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together recently posted…How to Run Farther: Tackling a New Distance

July 8, 2015 at 6:43 am

Come feed me. Or better yet see you in september when that flame better be done like our avocado toast dinner.

Alexa [fooduzzi.com]
      July 7, 2015 at 10:32 am

Grilled avocados…now THAT’S something I must try this summer! And that toast? Stop. It sounds so stinkin’ delicious! Pinned!
      Alexa [fooduzzi.com] recently posted…Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites

July 8, 2015 at 6:44 am

Prepare for it to become a summer staple! Thanks for sharing, lovely 🙂

Megan @ Straight From The Jar
      July 7, 2015 at 10:57 am

I need this. All of it. Ps. These pictures are amazing.
      Megan @ Straight From The Jar recently posted…Parmesan Zucchini Noodle Bake In A Jar

Les @ The Balanced Berry
      July 7, 2015 at 11:07 am

Grilled avocado?! Oh my gosh, so brilliant. How have I not done this? I bet a grilled avo guac would be delicious as well. So many nomz!

There was also a 6 month period where I lived off of avocado toast, and my favorite was with a little cilantro, red pepper flakes and lime juice.

Nikole Goncalves
      July 7, 2015 at 11:21 am

This looked amazing! I love how simple it looks and Im totally making this recipe this weekend 😀 Thanks for sharing xo
      Nikole Goncalves recently posted…Creamy Avocado Zucchini Pasta | Healthy Summer Recipe

July 8, 2015 at 6:46 am

Perhaps at Casa Maven?! I see many a grilled avocado date in our future!

Leah M @ love me, feed me
      July 7, 2015 at 12:34 pm

I so wish I had a grill to make this! Yummmm! Avo toast is one of my favourite things in the world – my fave combo is avocado, lime juice, grainy dijon, and a little curry powder! Avo + jam and avo + almond butter are also delicious combos.
      Leah M @ love me, feed me recently posted…Sunday Reading

July 8, 2015 at 6:46 am

Trying your curry powder edition today! That sounds amazing!

Karen
      July 7, 2015 at 2:37 pm

I’m loving the whole wolrd of grilling! I pretty much grill everything in the warmer months and grilled avocado is amazing! BUT I have never thought of putting my grilled avocado on toast! BRILLIANT! 🙂 Now I have an even bigger excuse to eat toast.
      Karen recently posted…my week in workouts….errrr…sort of

July 7, 2015 at 5:02 pm

YUMMMMMMMM! I love avocados! This looks like such an interesting recipe!
      Cassie recently posted…My Strange (or Not-So-Strange) Addiction

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
      July 7, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Avocado toast all day every day in every way. I never used to believe that grilling avocados would make a huge difference in the the flavor, but if you say it’s life-changing, I’m willing to try it!
      My favorite avocado toast combos are with sunny side up eggs + sriracha or with smoked salmon + dill!
      Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Strawberries and Cream for Wimbledon

July 8, 2015 at 6:49 am

It adds a smokiness to them that is unparalleled! I woke up dreaming about them this morning! Also sriracha on everything is key!

July 7, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Dude. Please tell me you still have the vegemite.

Vegemite + this on toast + chilli flakes. Beyond epic. Heck, I will buy you that silly $30 plate of NYC food if it isn’t.
      Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Healthy No Bake Cheesecake Cookies

Alexis @ Hummusapien
      July 8, 2015 at 12:12 am

I can hardly begin to imagine the joy I’d find in smashing some grilled avo toast in my face. You know my toast obsession runs deep. Move to Ohio and grill avos for Alchemy, pretty please?
      Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…Lemon Coconut No-Bake Bites

July 8, 2015 at 6:50 am

Better yet. Move to Toronto and we can run Hummusmaven out of my apartment! With endless avocado toast of course.

Consuelo | Honey & Figs
      July 8, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Oh man and I thought that avocado toast couldn’t get any better!!! This tutorial is the absolute bomb and I’m so trying this the next time I get my hands on some avos! xx
      Consuelo | Honey & Figs recently posted…Vegan “Chicken” Nuggets

Emily
      July 12, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Cool! I eat an avocado every day for the most part so this looks awesome!!

July 19, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Me too! My avocado addiction is OOC. At least I have a new way of cooking them now 😉

Erica
      July 13, 2015 at 11:28 am

I love this! I always have a hard time with avacados, so this is perfect!!

Charlotte
      March 23, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Baked avocado!!! Oh my , cooked avocado is one of the most horrible things I have ever eaten.
      Avocado, on buttered toast, salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon or lime. thanks for the post

Marina
      September 1, 2017 at 12:17 am

I’ve never tried grilled avocado, but I think I know what I’m having for lunch tomorrow! Love how much your writing sells what your saying in such a farmiliar, easy going way!