A quick and easy tutorial teaching you how to grill avocados plus a life-changing recipe for grilled avocado toast. Your life will never be the same once you discover the glory of grilled avocados!
I dropped the ball on my Healthy How-To series in June. I was devastated for a second but then I realized that a) none of you cared and b) I have this tutorial and recipe to make up for it. Sometimes the best things in life are worth waiting for. You’re welcome.
June was a crazy month. My lack of posting is evidence of that. Care for further evidence? Have a look to see the number of times I ate avocado toast for breakfast, lunch and dinner in June on Instagram. It’s a lot.
Because when you’re short on time and overwhelmed on life the only answer is Avocado Toast. Honestly, the answer is always avocado.
Eating it everyday forces you to get creative with your avocado toast variations. In the last month I’ve done everything from hemp seeds, to peaches to dill pickle avocado toast. None have been anything less than stellar. But by far the winner has to be Grilled Avocados. Because the only thing better than plain avocados is avocados on the grill.
Minus the fact that Jess and I nearly burned our eyebrows off during our little maven grill sesh, grilling avocados is WAY easier than you think. I almost feel bad posting this as a recipe…but since you’re kind of getting two for the price of one I will probably still sleep tonight.
How to Grill Avocados
1. Heat up your grill or grill pan to medium high heat.
2. Prep ripe avocados by simply cutting them in half, removing the pit and brushing with olive oil.
3. Place face down on the grill and cook for about five minutes.
4. I like to press down on the avocados occasionally to make sure some pretty grill marks are happening and the heat is making it’s way through the entire avocado. That’s it! Seriously.
What to Eat Grilled Avocado With
Be prepared for the epic number of ways you will find yourself eating these avocados. In just one weekend I ate this avocado toast (twice), threw some on top of this Southwestern Quinoa Salad, with poached eggs for Saturday morning brunch and just straight-up coated in sriracha because I’m classy like that.
So heat up those BBQs or grill-pans and grab yo’ Avocados from Mexico because you’re about to experience the greatest thing since sliced bread.
…sliced bread + grilled avocado.
(Cue NYC restaurant selling this recipe for $30 a pop)
Okay let’s be real, I’d sell my dignity and then some for a piece of avocado toast. And so would you.
Pretty easy right? So next time you heat up the BBQ don’t forget to reach for those avocados. Avocados on the grill are sure to be the 2020 summer hit!Print
How To Grill Avocados
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 7 minutes
- Yield: 3 grilled avocados 1x
For the Grilled Avocados:
- 3 ripe avocados
- olive oil
For the Grilled Avocado Toast:
- 3 grilled avocados
- 6 slices of whole-grain or gluten-free bread*
- juice, 2 whole limes
- Rock salt or himalayan sea salt
- optional: red pepper flakes
For the grilled avocados:
- Heat up your BBQ or grill-pan to medium-high heat and spray with non-stick spray.
- Cut avocados in half and remove pits.
- Brush inside half of each avocado lightly with olive oil.
- Place face down on BBQ or grill-pan for about 5 minutes (BBQ temps vary). Press down occasionally to ensure grill marks are created and heat penetrates.
- Using tongs remove from grill and set aside until ready to eat.
For the Grilled Avocado Toast:
- Scoop out flesh from avocados and place in a large bowl.
- Juice limes into bowl and using the back of a fork or a potato masher, mash up avocados until chunky but spreadable.
- Toast bread (if desired) and top with avocado-lime mixture.
- Sprinkle with salt and red pepper flakes if using.
- Eat immediately.
Avocado obsessed? Here are others you might enjoy:
- Unique Avocado Toast
- Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream
- Traditional Guacamole
- Avocado Tuna Salad
- Curried Chickpea and Avocado Salad
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!
MarinaSeptember 1, 2017 at 12:17 am
I’ve never tried grilled avocado, but I think I know what I’m having for lunch tomorrow! Love how much your writing sells what your saying in such a farmiliar, easy going way!
CharlotteMarch 23, 2016 at 4:30 pm
Baked avocado!!! Oh my , cooked avocado is one of the most horrible things I have ever eaten.
Avocado, on buttered toast, salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon or lime. thanks for the post
EricaJuly 13, 2015 at 11:28 am
I love this! I always have a hard time with avacados, so this is perfect!!
EmilyJuly 12, 2015 at 2:37 pm
Cool! I eat an avocado every day for the most part so this looks awesome!!
Davida KugelmassJuly 19, 2015 at 8:37 pm
Me too! My avocado addiction is OOC. At least I have a new way of cooking them now 😉
Consuelo | Honey & FigsJuly 8, 2015 at 12:32 pm
Oh man and I thought that avocado toast couldn’t get any better!!! This tutorial is the absolute bomb and I’m so trying this the next time I get my hands on some avos! xx
Alexis @ HummusapienJuly 8, 2015 at 12:12 am
I can hardly begin to imagine the joy I’d find in smashing some grilled avo toast in my face. You know my toast obsession runs deep. Move to Ohio and grill avos for Alchemy, pretty please?
Davida KugelmassJuly 8, 2015 at 6:50 am
Better yet. Move to Toronto and we can run Hummusmaven out of my apartment! With endless avocado toast of course.