balls/bites gluten-free raw snacks

No-Bake Oatmeal Protein Energy Balls

August 9, 2015

This simple and healthy no-bake oatmeal protein energy balls recipe is perfect for easy snacking on-the-go! With rolled oats, protein powder, peanut butter and a touch of honey, these energy balls will keep you satisfied for hours!

This simple and healthy little no bake oatmeal protein energy balls recipe is perfect for easy snacking on-the-go! With rolled oats, protein powder, peanut butter and a touch of honey, these energy balls will keep you satisfied for hours!I’ve decided that my life mission is to bring energy balls to the world! If any of you happen to know what C does for a living or who he works for, this statement is that much funnier. For the rest of you…keep guessing.

But for real, I am astounded when I meet someone who hasn’t discovered the glory and convenience that is the energy ball. So much so that I have a speech memorized for when I come across the rare person who has yet to be convinced.

I’ll spare you from hearing it.

This simple and healthy little no bake oatmeal protein energy balls recipe is perfect for easy snacking on-the-go! With rolled oats, protein powder, peanut butter and a touch of honey, these energy balls will keep you satisfied for hours!I cannot accept the idea that someone could NOT like energy balls. Unless they’re one of those annoying people who “doesn’t like healthy food” (get over it), the only reason I can think of for why someone might not love EBs is because they have yet to find their flavor combo.

This is the reason why I am always trying to come up with new, creative flavors. From almond joy, to gingerbread and of course those blueberry muffin energy balls, I am absolutely convinced that there is a flavor out there for everyone.

The other week my friend Cat was over and the topic of energy balls came up. Obvi. Because when am I not chatting about energy balls? Like C (my C, not Cat) Cat is not a big chocolate fan. It took some digging but it turns out that oatmeal raisin is her jam. So I set out to convince another being of the world that energy balls are gods gift to the earth.

This simple and healthy little no bake oatmeal protein energy balls recipe is perfect for easy snacking on-the-go! With rolled oats, protein powder, peanut butter and a touch of honey, these energy balls will keep you satisfied for hours!I’ve since made this recipe twice. Once with Oatmeal Raisin, and once with Oatmeal Chocolate Chip and both are BOMB.

I don’t discriminate between raisin lovers and chocolate lovers.

But I do discriminate between those who love energy balls and those who claim to not like them. I prefer to pretend the latter just don’t exist! Life just makes more sense that way…

No-Bake Oatmeal Protein Energy Balls

PREP TIME 10 mins
Yields 20-24 balls     adjust servings

1. Add oats, protein powder, cinnamon and chia seeds to a large bowl.
  2. Add in peanut butter, honey and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
  3. Add in raisins (or preferred add-in). Mixture should be slightly sticky but still crumbly.
  4. Slowly add in liquid 1 tablespoon at a time and using hands (get dirty!) combine until it comes together in a sticky ball that holds together. If mixture is too dry, add in more liquid but not so much that it won't hold shape.
  5. Roll into balls using hands.
  6. Place in a container to set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
  7. Store in fridge until ready to eat.

Notes

*Make sure it is drippy. If not you may need to add in extra liquid at the end.

This simple and healthy little no bake oatmeal protein energy balls recipe is perfect for easy snacking on-the-go! With rolled oats, protein powder, peanut butter and a touch of honey, these energy balls will keep you satisfied for hours!Favourite energy ball flavour? If you have a recipe you absolutely love, leave it in the comments below to share with others!

Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together
    August 9, 2015 at 11:41 am

Should we just start an energy ball company when you move to SF? Cool, glad that’s decided. xoxo
    Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together recently posted…Now Trending – Best Links Week of 8.3

August 9, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Yay that it’s no bake! These look great before and after a workout, a snack, dessert or on the go!
    Cassie recently posted…ThinSlim Foods Reviews: Cookies, Bread, Bagels and More!

Les @ The Balanced Berry
    August 10, 2015 at 12:10 am

I neeeeed these! I too am all about the energy balls, and oatmeal + raisin is a match made in heaven.
    Les @ The Balanced Berry recently posted…The Balanced Berry Got a Makeover!

August 11, 2015 at 7:27 am

I’m so happy I’ve got another raisin lover in thaaaa house!!!

Dani @ Dani California Cooks
    August 10, 2015 at 12:50 am

I love that these have protein powder and oats in them! What a power duo!
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Muffins

Maja
    August 10, 2015 at 7:12 am

I love healthy desserts – but if I really love the taste, I can eat all of them in a heartbeat. 🙂 Now that I am pregnant, I love sweets even more – but I really want to eat healthy. This is a great choice for me – just as long as I dont make too much of them!
    x M.
    Maja recently posted…I have got news

August 11, 2015 at 7:25 am

I can only imagine how much my sweet tooth will increase when I’m pregnant! Good luck with the portion control 😉 xoxo

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    August 13, 2015 at 8:38 am

Anyone that doesn’t like balls (of all kind, I don’t discriminate) is a weirdo. These are a dream, totes making them when I unpack my lifeeeeeee.
    Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…A Letter to You on Hummusapien’s Fourth Birthday

August 13, 2015 at 8:58 am

Skype and ball date as soon as you’re unpacked. k thanks.

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    August 13, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Energy Balls for the win! ALWAYS. “Get over it” Ha! Love it :-p

Anna
    October 28, 2015 at 12:37 pm

How many calories per serving?

Carrell Shivers
      April 29, 2016 at 3:58 pm

i doubled everything in the recipe except protein powder and chia seeds (and i used water) and just used 1/2 c choc chips. i made 35 balls and each was 83 cal and 11 carbs per ball. 🙂 delish!

Carrell Shivers
      April 29, 2016 at 3:58 pm

Erin Boyum
    January 4, 2016 at 9:32 pm

I was wondering how many caleries per serving as well.

Crystal
    January 9, 2016 at 6:45 pm

This was so easy and fun to make, gotta love getting dirty with your food 😉
    Just waiting for mine to set in the fridge now… can’t wait to eat!
    Crystal recently posted…Ch-Ch-Cheap Food At Cha Cha Restaurant In Koh Phangan

The Healthy Maven
      January 9, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Hope you enjoy, lovely! Yes, they are super easy and delish!

Carrie
    January 21, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Can’t wait to try them. Added the ingredients I don’t have to my grocery list. I do have a couple questions…..
    How many Energy Balls per serving and how many calories per serving? I can’t find that information on or around the recipe.

The Healthy Maven
      January 22, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Not sure how many calories, but I only eat one or two at once depending on how hungry I am 🙂 Enjoy!

Trina
    January 24, 2016 at 4:03 pm

I just made these, OMG! I substituted the chia seeds for flax seeds and bran, my add in is chocolate chips. Next time trying raisins, I love raisins! I put the ingredients in the recipe section of my fitness pal for 20 servings and its about 131 calories per ball if you make 20.
    I can’t wait to try other ingredients to the base recipe.

January 24, 2016 at 5:22 pm

Wonderful! So happy you liked them 🙂 Can’t wait to hear how you experiment with them some more!

Sarah
    February 6, 2016 at 4:04 pm

How many does one eat for breakfast? Anyone know ball park calorie for one?

Jillian
    February 10, 2016 at 10:44 pm

I am currently in a Speech class and I used this recipe for my demonstration speech!!! Everyone loved the balls- thanks for the great recipe 🙂

Jillian
      February 10, 2016 at 10:45 pm

also.. used peanut butter protein powder and greek yogurt chips. so yum.

February 12, 2016 at 9:19 am

Aw so happy to hear that! Love the additions you added too 🙂 Glad you enjoyed!

Nancy Kuntz
    February 11, 2016 at 4:40 pm

I so agree with you; anyone that doesn’t like protein balls hasn’t found the right recipe. I just made a similar recipe to yours. This one called for dried cranberries (I used raison’s), raw sun flower seeds (I used chopped pecans) & chocolate chips! I also used cinnamon honey & flax seeds. Delicious & my fav so far 👌🏼. I can’t wait to try your bberry muffin & ginger bread recipes! Thanks! Nancy

February 12, 2016 at 9:15 am

The balls you made sound delish!! I totally agree that there’s a flavor out there for everyone. Hope you enjoy the bberry muffin and gingerbread balls!

Lee
    March 5, 2016 at 12:30 pm

Recipe looks good, but it’s absolutely useless for any fitness enthusiasts because it doesn’t have any nutritional information to go with it.

Lauren
      April 30, 2017 at 6:57 pm

Disagree – fitness enthusiasts can eat mindfully and intuitively and don’t base what goes in their. It’s based on numbers! Who cares about calories? Eat what your body needs.

Molly
    March 9, 2016 at 6:25 pm

I made these today following the recipe, but I included some specifics because it might slightly alter the nutritional value depending on what brands and items you use. I used jiff peanut butter, dark chocolate chips as my add-in, water as my liquid, and a tablespoon of ground flax. I made 14 good sized protein balls and calculated the nutritional information per bite as follows: Calories: 128, Fat: 7.4 g, Net Carb 10 g, Protein: 6 g

These were so tasty and satisfied my sweet tooth! Only needed 1, because it was pretty rich with the dark chocolate 🙂

Chris
    March 10, 2016 at 11:08 am

These look amazing. I am curious though if you use milk for the liquid won’t they eventually sour? How do you avoid them going bad if you don’t eat them all in a day or two?

March 10, 2016 at 11:13 am

I would recommend using water or non-dairy milk to prevent them for going bad quickly. Alternatively, store them in the freezer and take one out 10-20 minutes before eating.

Laura
    March 12, 2016 at 1:39 am

These are delicious, will make again.

Stephanie
    March 18, 2016 at 3:44 pm

What is the nutrition information?

Johannes
      April 10, 2016 at 10:30 pm

I’d like to know too!

Johannes
    April 10, 2016 at 10:28 pm

How many calories would you think per 100 ball?

Amanda
    April 17, 2016 at 4:08 am

Fantastic! I used whey protein from TPW, and it came out very nice.
    If you’d like to try it, you can claim a free pack of whey protein by following this link:

kay
    May 5, 2016 at 2:03 pm

I would like to know what kind of peanut butter people are using, I want to make these as healthy as possible and don’t want to use like Jiffy, I would like to use fresh ground peanuts or almonds from Whole Foods, I know there is less oil, so will it work? Thanks

May 5, 2016 at 6:18 pm

I use all natural peanut butter, no sugar, salt or oil added. I’d go with that since it’s the healthiest option and the recipe will turn out the best.

Jackie
    May 16, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Made these for the first time today after looking forever for a recipe I liked. They are so good and I’m surprised at how well they’re sticking together! They will be perfect for grabbing when I need something in my stomach before the gym or even taking to the beach!

Letty Bromenschenkel
    May 29, 2016 at 1:35 am

please a word of caution:

transporting these in the presence of other people, be mindful of the peanut allergy hazard.
    exposure can be deadly for anyone allergic to peanut products and especially children.

it is not a “PC” preference issue, just recently a child died within 1 hour of being exposed to peanut butter that was in another child’s food .

Families with a child who is allergic to peanut products have reliable caused to be alarmed because It is their child who is at grave risk in an uncontrolled setting like any mass transit traveling.

Selina
    June 5, 2016 at 11:44 am

Can I use steel cut oats instead?

June 6, 2016 at 10:33 am

No I wouldn’t recommend it. Steel-cut oats are too firm for this recipe!

Jennifer M
    June 14, 2016 at 1:11 pm

First time I have seen this recipe using pumpkin and I can’t wait to try it out!

candace
    June 19, 2016 at 12:02 am

any sub for protein powder?

June 20, 2016 at 9:22 am

oat flour is a good substitute!

Graeme
        July 14, 2016 at 1:40 am

I will be attempting these very soon, as time permits – love the idea.

In other recipes, I substitute the following for whey/protein powder: finely milled millet, barley and quinoa seeds (plus chia and flax and whatever else is lurking in the dark recesses of my cupboards).

In the Asian country where I live, goji berries are cheap – about $20 US a kilo from the street stalls. So I shall use those in the balls, along with crushed walnuts and almonds. Thanks so much you guys.

Barry
    June 19, 2016 at 2:20 am

Thanks for the tips. I’m going to try this tonight!
    Barry recently posted…Why Asia Is the Perfect Place to Start out as a Digital Nomad

Andy hanson
    July 7, 2016 at 9:11 am

Is there a way to add banana or make bars out this recipe

July 7, 2016 at 4:29 pm

you could certainly add banana in place of some of the liquid and definitely make them into bars. They won’t last as long with the banana but store them in the fridge and you should get a good week out of them! Enjoy.

Barbara
    July 19, 2016 at 7:20 am

How long do they last more or less?

Julie Bonavita
    July 22, 2016 at 8:52 pm

My husband and I have recently started this diet and exercise program..hes way more intense about it than I am. he bought a ton of diff protein powders and the one he liked drinking least he had me make stuff with. I made these using cookies and cream flavor which tastes like the inside of an oreo I guess ..I used cranberries and I mixed it all up in a food processor so it was all kinda ground up and not whole oats. They are so yummy..taste like oatmeal cookies with cranberries. Cant wait to try other flavors! I resisted this “healthy” kick strongly but if i can eat stuff like this as a treat them I’m a teensy bit happier!

mike
    July 22, 2016 at 9:33 pm

thank you for this recipe 🙂 Jesus loves you and desires for you to follow Him! 🙂 He’s not in the churches, He just wants a relationship with you <3

Lisa Wilson
    July 23, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Do you happen to know calorie count per ball?

Miriah Thompson
    August 11, 2016 at 11:07 pm

These are delicious. I made 1/2 a batch the first time and used chocolate chips. I ate them all within a grew days lol. The second time i made the full batch and split it in half and added raisins to one and chocolate chips to the other. I made both batches with almond butter. So good! Thanks!

Miriah Thompson
    August 11, 2016 at 11:08 pm

*few

Elnif Blog
    August 19, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Gone Nuts Cacao Almonds Raisins Blueberries And Coconut

[…] within a grew days lol. The second time i made the full batch and split it in h […]

Sprouted Blog
    September 14, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Gone Nuts Cacao Almonds Raisins Blueberries

[…] re delicious. I made 1/2 a batch the first time and used chocolate chips. I ate […]

kg
    September 18, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Per an online calculator, approx 100 cal/bal (for 20 balls/recipe) and 5 gm protein (for my kindergartner too busy to eat her lunch)

Evwij Blog
    September 26, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Gone Nuts Cacao Almonds Raisins Blueberries

[…] in a grew days lol. The second time i made the full batch and split it in half a […]

Ilma
    September 30, 2016 at 12:17 pm

I am allergic to whey products. Any suggestions regarding a replacement, plse?

October 1, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Feel free to try a plant-based version. You may just need to add a bit more liquid, but should work just fine!

Natasha
    October 1, 2016 at 7:38 am

What is ‘T’ in the ingredients sections mean?

Adelina Kennedy
    October 3, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Can you make these with steel cut oats?

October 4, 2016 at 9:22 am

Wouldn’t recommend it 🙁

Stephanie Lee
        October 29, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Will you please give the nutrition details? Need to know macros

Naturals Blog
    October 6, 2016 at 10:25 pm

Gone Nuts Cacao Almonds Raisins Blueberries And Coconut

Michael
    October 9, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Just tried them and they’re incredible. Easy and quick to make, they look excactly like the ones in the pictures, and they taste great! Thanks a lot!

PD Cavinder
    October 11, 2016 at 2:30 pm

How many calories per ball?
    PD Cavinder recently posted…5 Must-Use Health Apps for Your iPhone

Stacey
    November 3, 2016 at 2:56 pm

My family loves these are they are so easy! We snack on them every afternoon now. No raisins or cranberries, but I used sunflower seeds. Thanks!

Jennifer
    November 3, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Hey what would the nutrients / kcal be individually? They are awesome by the way!

November 4, 2016 at 11:44 pm

So happy you enjoyed! Unfortunately, I don’t calculate the nutrition on my recipes but feel free to enter into an online calculator like myfitnesspal.com

Laura
    November 11, 2016 at 4:03 pm

These are the bomb!!! My husband wouldn’t leave them alone.

Grace
    November 20, 2016 at 7:37 am

Made these today….my kids love them…they are not good eaters so was happy they were getting some protein…anymore receipe which are good for the little ones would be appreciated. I used raw cashew butter and sultanas.

Yasmin
    February 7, 2017 at 12:49 am

Hi 🙂 does the T mean teaspoon or tablespoon? Thanks!

Tessa Gauvin
    February 12, 2017 at 12:38 pm

Delicious! If you like halva you should try with tahini, super tasty, but yours are more perfect when craving mums cookies 😊

Lisa
    February 16, 2017 at 5:59 pm

I was hoping to get the nutritional value for this. Can you provide it for me? And what is the serving size, 1 ball?

Andy
    February 21, 2017 at 1:58 am

How many days we can keep it safely and eat, after preparation. I saw whey protein smells very bad if we keep for a long time mixing with water.

Natasha
    March 4, 2017 at 4:19 pm

Hassle free and tasty, thanks for the recipe! This has helped to provide a sweet treat to my new clean eating venture..

Lisa
    March 27, 2017 at 2:53 pm

I am on a no sugar diet and am wondering if you have ever tried to make these without the honey; will they hold up as well or should I substitute something else to help bind it together?
    Thanks,

kathy
    April 12, 2017 at 7:24 pm

I make these with vanilla protein powder and almond extract. I use chopped walnuts instead of raisins…I use 1/4 chia and 1/4 hemp seeds and i do not include any liquid (probably use more PB & Honey then called for to hold everything together). I eat these for breakfast every morning… LOVE them! I freeze them and take 2-3 to work every day.

Rachael
    April 18, 2017 at 10:37 am

Good lord these balls are delicious! I actually can’t stop eating them! Can’t wait to try some new flavour combos!

Della Bampton
    April 30, 2017 at 8:16 pm

How many calories and protein count for the Vanilla, chia seed, raisin balls

Veronika
    May 3, 2017 at 4:57 pm

OMG my first energy balls and nothing can compare. They are amazing. I use caocao nibs instead of raisins and roll them in ground almonds. Shared some with my work colleagues and now they want them all the time 😁

Jenny Cruz
    June 5, 2017 at 1:35 am

I used rice malt syrup instead of honey. Cut up dates as my add in and almond milk as my liquid. I also added some almond meal for a little extra protein. Thanks for sharing your receipe it’s​ very morish 😊

Sara
    June 5, 2017 at 10:17 pm

Do you have a recipe for energy balls that can be stored at room temperature? I want to be able to carry them around during the day for a post-workout snack. They sound great!

Giselle
    July 5, 2017 at 10:04 pm

These are great! Finally a protein ball that isn’t sooooo sweet. Love that the honey is not mainly for binding!

Olivia
    July 14, 2017 at 3:01 pm

These were great! I substituted 4 tablespoons PB2 for the peanut butter, and added about 125mL of plain applesauce to compensate for the lack of fat/oil in the powdered peanut butter. I also did not use any chia seeds or vanilla extract, and used semi sweet baking chocolate chunks as my add-in. It made 18 balls, and according to My Fitness Pal each ball is 73 calories. Thanks for the recipe!

Kate
    August 4, 2017 at 3:35 pm

These are soooooo good!!!!!! Thank you for the recipe 🙂

Romy
    October 14, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Hi there, I’m planning to do this recipe and I was wondering how long can we keep those energy ball in the fridge/ freezer? Many thanks 🙂

iman
    October 19, 2017 at 6:52 pm

hi what does the T stand for next to liquid?