balls/bites gluten-free paleo raw snacks trending vegan

Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls

May 23, 2013

Want the taste of a  sweet and delicious blueberry muffin, without all of the gunk? Make these Raw Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls for a nutritious snack that doesn’t skimp on the flavor!

Want the taste of a sweet and delicious blueberry muffin, without all of the gunk? Make these Raw Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls for a nutritious snack that doesn't skimp on the flavor!I LOVE blueberry muffins. In university I consumed far too many Starbucks Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins. I’ve always eaten fairly healthy but these bad boys were my weakness. Through each bite I knew how much sugar and butter I was consuming but I literally could not stop myself. I almost convinced myself they were moderately healthy because blueberries are a fruit! With 390 calories, 28 grams of sugar and 20 grams of fat these muffins are by no means healthy…or nutritious. But even still I get intense cravings for one every time I step into Starbucks.

Fortunately I have developed a tactic for blocking these cravings. Now I could of course have just come up with a healthy version of blueberry muffins but since I’m all about practicality and most importantly portability, I got a little more creative. Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls made with all-natural, healthy and raw ingredients. Plus, for the same amount of muffin you could eat 4 of these! What’s even sneakier is that eating one of these balls totally hits the spot. You don’t need to eat 4 of them to feel satisfied. I’ll save myself 20 grams of sugar and 16 grams of fat thank-you-very-much.

Want the taste of a sweet and delicious blueberry muffin, without all of the gunk? Make these Raw Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls for a nutritious snack that doesn't skimp on the flavor!Like my Lemon Hemp Bites I like to carry a couple of these around with me to snack on throughout the day or as a pre- or post-workout snack. With a bit of protein, a good amount of fat and some natural sugars these help prevent those awful blood sugar crashes which I am prone too.

This is another one of those, throw everything into the food processor and you’re good to go kind of recipes. No need to fuss around with the oven, or a list of 15 ingredients. Since this recipe makes quite a few I like to store them in the freezer. Wait about 10 minutes for them to thaw and then bam you have a blueberry muffin! Well sort of 😉 If food tends to go pretty quickly in your house (and trust me when you try these, they will) then store them in the fridge for up to a week.  Now that my mouth is sufficiently watering I’m gonna go eat one (or several) of these…

Join me as I make these Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls!

Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls

Cook Time 10 mins

• 2 cups nuts (I used 1 cup of cashews & 1 cup of almonds)
  • 1 cup dates
  • 1 cup dried blueberries
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or seeds of 1 vanilla bean)
  • Zest of 1 lemon, juice of half a lemon
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt

1. Add nuts to food processor. Process until nuts are pea-sized.
  2. Combine nuts with dates and dried blueberries and process until all ingredients have broken down and are a bit sticky.
  3. Add in lemon zest and juice and vanilla extract.
  4. Process until all ingredients come together to form 1 large sticky ball.
  5. Roll into small balls and store in fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer.

Want the taste of a sweet and delicious blueberry muffin, without all of the gunk? Make these Raw Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls for a nutritious snack that doesn't skimp on the flavor!Do you have any cravings that you just can’t resist? Anyone else get sucked in by the baked goods at Starbucks?

Like this recipe? Check out some of my other energy ball recipes!

Almond Joy Energy Balls

These No-Bake Almond Joy Energy Balls are inspired by the ever popular Almond Joy chocolate bar but without all the gunk! They pack a serious nutrition punch and are also gluten-free, vegan AND paleo.
Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Energy Balls
A seasonal energy ball recipe with the ultimate festive combo, gingerbread and chocolate!
Lemon Vanilla Energy Balls
Lemon Vanilla Energy Balls // thehealthymaven.com

RBarclay
    May 23, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Love Starbucks’ pumpkin loaf in the fall with a chai latte…Time to come up with a G-Free recipe for that one!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      May 23, 2013 at 6:48 pm

So good! A gluten-free pumpkin loaf can definitely happen 🙂

Sierra
        February 6, 2016 at 10:20 pm

Do you happen to know the protein, fat and carbs per ball or so?

SMcGreg
        February 7, 2016 at 10:06 pm

I was wondering the same thing, do you have approximate nutrition info? Calories, Proteins, Carbs… Thanks 🙂

the3commandments
    May 24, 2013 at 3:16 am

Can’t wait to give these a try! Sounds like that healthy energy snack I’ve been looking for!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      May 31, 2013 at 6:51 pm

seriously kelly these are goooooood. I have a bunch in my freezer that i’m willing to share….if you come hang out with me 🙂

Alexandria
        December 7, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Do you have to put sea salt in these or will they be okay if i leave the salt out?

Sandra
    May 28, 2013 at 5:45 pm

oooh… I have a feeling these will become my new favourite energy bites, too!
    Great combo – I love blueberries!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      May 31, 2013 at 6:53 pm

so yummy! I try to use organic dried blueberries without added sugar to keep them healthier. They are ridiculously expensive but I think it’s worth it!

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat
    May 30, 2013 at 1:26 am

Blueberry muffins…how I miss those! I look forward to trying these! Thanks so much for sharing them at Raw Foods Thursdays. Pinning them on the RFT board! Hope to see you back tomorrow!!

Heather

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      May 31, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Thanks for hosting us heather! I’m back this week with a recipe for maple pumpkin seed butter cups. Thanks for pinning these too! Always grateful 🙂

Miachel @ Spiced Curiosity
    June 4, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Mmm, these sound delicious. Thanks for sharing!

Herryponting
    June 24, 2013 at 9:13 am

I have read repeatedly that Magnesium Malate may significantly reduce pain in people with Fibromyalgia by increasing muscle efficiency.
    Thompson Magnesium Malate

Carol
    July 22, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I’ve been meaning to make these for awhile, and finally did. VERY tasty! They might be my new favorite snack.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      July 22, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I’m so happy to hear you made them! Glad you enjoyed 🙂 They are certainly a staple in my kitchen!

Dr oz green coffee
    February 12, 2014 at 12:15 am

Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic however , I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest authoring a
    blog article or vice-versa? My site covers a lot of the same
    topics as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other.

If you happen to be interested feel free to shoot me an
    email. I look forward to hearing from you! Excellent blog
    by the way!

Feel free to surf to my web site … Dr oz green coffee
    Dr oz green coffee recently posted…Dr oz green coffee

Chocolate Matcha Energy Balls + An Energy Ball Round-Up! - The Healthy Maven
    July 28, 2014 at 4:05 pm

[…] The Healthy Maven (gf, df) Apricot Almond Coconut Snacks- Pint Sized Baker (gf, df, paleo-friendly) Blueberry Muffin Energy Bites- The Healthy Maven (gf, df, paleo-friendly) Bunny Tail Energy Bites- Happy Food, Healthy Life (gf) […]

Mirza
    October 9, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I think I would use them like my post workout snack couse I think that protein slow down the absorbtion of protein,thats why I am afraid to use them for preworkout snack.I like that you can make them for about 10 minutes and they are gluten free.But I might add more dates as I like food with sweeter taste 😉
    Mirza recently posted…Why do we need magnesium

Ayngelina
    February 11, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Amazing idea, I can’t wait to try them out!
    Ayngelina recently posted…Cider, Apple Pie and Goats… Oh My!

Can’t wait to make…
    March 17, 2015 at 8:02 am

[…] Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls. Holy smokes this girl is creative! […]

GREAT START BREAKFAST #1
    April 13, 2015 at 12:12 pm

[…] First up, we have these delicious Blueberry Muffin Energy Bites! […]

Tori
      June 4, 2015 at 9:30 am

Can you tell me how many grams of protein, carbohydrates and calorie count?

Made these yesterday and they taste amazing. Would be great post -workout.

Friday Favorites #10 | ALD_FIT
    May 1, 2015 at 7:07 am

[…] Blueberry Muffin Energy Bites: These look great for breakfast on the go! […]

Food Bloggers’ Favorite Snacks | Hummusapien
    May 12, 2015 at 5:01 am

[…] sweet tooth is about to get the best of you, Davida of The Healthy Maven recommends reaching for a blueberry muffin energy bite. They’re simple, portable and packed full of nutrition and flavor. With only 6 ingredients, […]

Paleo Meal Plan Monday - Week of May 11th
    May 13, 2015 at 12:54 am

[…] Blueberry Muffin Energy Bites […]

Healthy Energy Ball Recipes - Fit Foodie Finds
    May 17, 2015 at 9:45 am

[…] Blueberry Muffin Energy Bites from The Healthy Maven […]

Jennifer
    May 17, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Is there any way to use frozen blueberries instead of dried?
    Jennifer recently posted…Painted School Desk Turned Vanity Inspired By The MOTRIN® Make It Happen Weekends Program #MakeItHappen #ad

May 19, 2015 at 5:45 pm

unfortunately no 🙁 You need the stickiness of dried blueberries so fresh or frozen won’t work!

Yari
        May 20, 2015 at 9:57 am

Can you recommend a substitute for the nuts, my son is allergic. Also I don’t care for dates so I’m going to sub with figs.

Dan
    May 20, 2015 at 9:36 am

Hello Davida. My name is Dan and I am a founder of Easy Fast Recipes website. Many thanks for this lovely Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls recipe! Simple and affordable ingredients, easy to follow step by step instructions. This is yummy easy fast recipe and it’s surely going into my bookmark list.
    Keep up the good work. I am looking forward for more easy food recipes in the future.
    You are welcome to visit my website >> http://easyfastrecipes365.com. Easy Fast Recipes for Healthy Lifestyle & Fitness. Cheers and have a great day!

Page
    June 2, 2015 at 3:45 pm

these look wonderful! I would love to make some for my sister (she’s going to bonito soon and I’m supplying snacks;) also she loves blueberries!) but would they be ok at room temp for a few days? I store my dates and dried fruit in the pantry so I thought they would be safe..

Page
      June 2, 2015 at 3:47 pm

(Sorry for the autocorrect..) **bonaroo
      Haha
      Thanks!

June 2, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Totally safe! And awesome for bonaroo. They’ve been music festival tested in the past!

June Cooking List | realworldbites
    June 2, 2015 at 9:00 pm

[…] Blueberry Muffin Energy Bites via The Healthy Maven […]

30 No Bake Energy Bites Recipes
    June 5, 2015 at 6:35 pm

[…] Blueberry Muffin Energy Bites from The Healthy Maven […]

Meal Planning Monday | Paleo Baker
    June 7, 2015 at 5:19 pm

[…] season is coming up soon!  These Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls would be perfect to try after a long day of […]

Weekend Things | realworldbites
    June 15, 2015 at 12:40 pm

[…] Finally got around to trying my hand at The Healthy Maven’s Blueberry Muffin Energy Bites and….oh my. Aside from nearly blowing up my food processor […]

A Good Date ‹ KalliRaes
    June 22, 2015 at 6:55 am

[…] 10. Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls […]

Planning is next to Godliness- meal plan WO 6/21/15 | Jessica Is Baking
    June 23, 2015 at 11:26 am

[…] up are blueberry muffin bites.  Think Lara bar in blueberry muffin form!  The flavor is just like a blueberry muffin […]

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)
    July 17, 2015 at 12:57 pm

I’m a huge nut ball fan! I make a batch every week for my husband and I to snack on throughout the work week. These were so delicious. I loved the addition of lemon zest. I’ll definitely be making these again in the future.
    Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) recently posted…Paleo Pesto Chicken Tomato Kabobs

July 19, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Awesome 🙂 I’m so happy you enjoyed them. They’re probably my favourite snack ever!

Ian Delaney
        March 8, 2017 at 9:48 am

These sticky blue balls are yummy. Had some for breakfast. Trader Joe’s was the only store I could find dried blueberries. I would just add “unpitted” to the dates in the recipe. I didn’t notice and bought pitted dates the first time. Quizinart process nearly died on them….ooopsie

Donna
    September 7, 2015 at 5:42 am

I decided to make these as a healthy snack for my friend’s birthday party and despite the initial hesitation, everyone absolutely loved them! They looked a but different from the ones in your pictures though but they tasted great anyway. Thanks for sharing!
    Donna
    Donna recently posted…Is Canola Oil Bad For You?

Terrell
    October 15, 2015 at 10:37 pm

Like you I love cranberry orange muffins we have them at work and every time I see one I grab them I have been recently switching to the Paleo diet and found your recipe for blueberry muffin bites and I made them they’re wonderful but still my craving for the orange cranberry muffins out way the blueberry muffins so I altered your recipe a bit I used cranberries instead of blueberries and an orange instead of a lemon and boy it turned out just as wonderful as the blueberry muffin bites thank you for posting your recipe my family is enjoying all of the yummy goodies I am making

October 18, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Those sound fabulous! I’m glad you were able to make the changes you needed to get the perfect result. I love when you guys share stories like these 🙂 Enjoy your new recipe! It sounds delish!

Jennifer
    December 14, 2015 at 10:44 pm

OMG these are amazing! I can’t wait to try some of the other ball/energy bite recipes on your blog 🙂

The Healthy Maven
      December 15, 2015 at 8:45 am

Aw you’re too sweet! My fave recipe on the blog! Followed by every other energy ball recipes 😉

Pauline
    December 26, 2015 at 11:08 pm

These sound great, but I can’t eat dates. What can I use as a substitute for them, please?

The Healthy Maven
      December 27, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Are you okay with dried figs? They’re usually an easy substitute!

Anita
    March 8, 2016 at 12:21 pm

I just made these, subbing the blueberries with half raisins half cranberries. Also I used some toasted walnuts and subbed in ground almonds as I’m saving my almonds to make almond butter! I haven’t had one yet, but I licked all the mixture from my hands and utensils and it is DELISH! Great recipe @thehealthymaven! What is a maven?!

Julie Trudeau
    March 10, 2016 at 3:36 pm

Hi! Love your energy balls!
    Just wondering, when you write 1T blackstrap molasses, what does the T stand for?
    English is not my first language 😉

Thx

Megan
    March 15, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Hi! These look delicious! What are your thoughts on adding fresh blueberries instead of dried? Do you think it would change the consistency?

Rebecca
    August 18, 2016 at 12:25 pm

These were delicious and very easy to make. I used one cup salted cashews and one cup raw almonds but everything else was the same. Everyone who has tasted them has loved them.

Sarah Jane
    August 19, 2016 at 11:50 am

I made these for the 1st time yesterday because my husband and I are trying to clean up our eating habits! I was able to make them in my Vitamix, even though the stickiness required a little more elbow grease on my part. (I’m a New Yorker, so we have to streamline our kitchen appliances. haha!)

Because of that, I left them a bit chunkier, and they turned out great! My husband says they are “amazing.”

Looks like Energy Balls are going to be a new staple snack in our home. Thank you!

Roshani Khanna
    September 3, 2016 at 8:07 am

Mmmmmm…..yum. This looks totally amazing. I’m just starring at the screen looking at how delicious they look. My mouth is watering.

Jan
    September 28, 2016 at 8:45 pm

These look incredible – so fruity and the color is so rich! My only problem is stopping after just 2.. or 3!

Maritza
    October 17, 2016 at 5:08 pm

Hey! I can’t wait to try these! I just made them and they are in the freezer setting. It was a little bit harder for me through. I didn’t watch your video and just followed the instructions instead and first thing I did was the nuts, because it says so in the instructions. Your video says do the dates first which would make sense. First time using a processor too. Ha. Anyway thank you tons!

Riya Ahuja
    January 3, 2017 at 5:03 am

Oh my! Hubby would love this! Pinning now! Thanks for sharing!!

AC
    January 13, 2017 at 9:55 pm

Shaped these into granola bars instead of balls – hommade lara bars! Way more delicious than I expected and whole30 compliant! Thanks for sharing!!

Susan Taylor
    January 21, 2017 at 2:24 pm

This is a great recipe! I added a little bit of oat powder as well to have more energy. These little energy balls helped me doing my workouts with Country Heat so that I didn’t get burned out. Read my reviews at http://www.theadventurelifestyle.com.
    Thanks for the recipe!

ANDREA
    January 24, 2017 at 5:54 pm

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHERE TO FIND SUGAR FREE DRIED BLUEBERRIES OR IF YOU COULD MAKE THIS WITH FRESH BLUEBERRIES? IM DOING WHOLE30 AND CANT FIND SUGAR FREE DRIED BLUEBERRIES ANYWHERE, BUT WOULD LOVE TO MAKE THIS BECAUSE IT SOUNDS DELICIOUS!!! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Lena
    February 19, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Hi Davidia,

Love all the energy ball recipes. My kids and family love dates and mixing them with nuts chocolate or berries is bliss.

Just incase you didn’t know. Middle eastern shops or supermarkets usually have date paste; either in a jar or as a date ‘brick’ if you like. No additives just pressed dates. For those without a blender this is a great option to use for the date energy balls.

Keep enjoying all those balls! We shall also.

Lena

Assorted Blog
    February 24, 2017 at 3:53 am

Dark Chocolate Sugar Free Blueberry Bites

[…] kout snack. With a bit of protein, a good amount of fat and some natural sugars […]

Jennicha House
    July 29, 2017 at 3:53 pm

Is this recipe using dry or soft dates, and the video directions is different then the written in saying to pulse the nuts to or A size then add fruit verses pulse dates to pea size then add blueberries and nuts.
    I used soft dates and followed the written directions and the consistency was so sticky, it was unmanageable to roll into balls! All it did was stick heavily to my fingers and spoon. I had to freeze the mixture for a bit just to manage it.
    Also does the recipe measure a cup if dates chopped or whole?