The tartness of cherries meet the sweetness of chocolate in these healthy and filling Chocolate Cherry Energy Balls. Just grab one on the go for a quick and easy snack recipe anytime of day.Ever since Energy Ball Week I’ve taken a brief hiatus from ball recipes. If you follow me on Snap (TheHealthyMaven) then you know I certainly haven’t stopped making them, but after bombarding you with 12 ball recipes in 7 days, I thought it would be wise to turn it down a notch.
But inevitably, the balls come calling.
I spent the last day at my parent’s house getting some much needed R&R, celebrating Hanukkah and regressing to my childhood self.
Conversations kicked off with my parents reprimanding me for not being even remotely up-to-date on current events (what else is new), a lesson on using Instagram, my Mom declaring she wanted “to tweet” and my dad venting about the sudden disappearance of his beloved Chocolate Cherry Kind Bars. So basically, the usual events at the Maven household.
I felt sufficiently guilty and insisted my Dad sign me up for Google News, gave a brief but thorough tutorial on how to use Instagram (with a bonus Hashtag session –> Dad I’m gonna test you), shutting down either of my parent’s attempts to get a twitter account and solving all my Dad’s issues by insisting he just eat balls.
He then claimed that balls are impossible to find in Toronto (I mean I only worked for a ball company but whatever…), which is somewhat true compared to the current quantity of balls in my fridge, but fortunately I happen to know someone who sort-of, kind-of, just might make energy balls for a living.
Hint: It’s me.
RELATED: Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls
To be clear, the man only likes two flavours when it comes to treats: cherry or chocolate. Ideally, both. So when he asked me to make him some I knew I was only going to be making Chocolate Cherry Energy Balls. But just cause I’m convinced that one day I’ll convert him, I also dipped some of my Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls in chocolate and threw them in there too.
So now there’s officially 4 dozen balls in my parent’s freezer and I can rest easy knowing I am feeding the world healthy snacks, one ball at a time…Starting with my Dad.Print
Chocolate Cherry Energy Balls
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 dozen balls 1x
- Add the dates to a food processor and process until broken down into pea-sized bits.
- Add in dried cherries, cashews and almonds and process until broken down into a sticky mix.
- Add in sea salt and vanilla and continue processing until dough either comes together into a large ball or is sticky enough to hold it’s shape (in total will be around 5 minutes of processing).
- Roll dough into individual-sized balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave or on stovetop.
- Dip the bottom of each ball into chocolate and place back on parchment.
- Drizzle balls with remaining chocolate.
- Place in freezer for 15 minutes to set.
- I like to store mine in the freezer but you can also store them in the fridge. Will keep for several months.
I use the 14-cup Cuisinart Food Processor and love it!
Like this recipe? Check out some of my other energy ball recipes!
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!