breakfast gluten-free muffins snacks

Banana Cinnamon Crumb Muffins

September 11, 2015

A delicious and moist classic banana muffin with added cinnamon and crumb topping. These Banana Cinnamon Crumb Muffins are also gluten-free and lightened-up. Perfect for weekday breakfasts or snacking.Writing this post took about as many tries as perfecting this recipe. So much so that I’m starting to think these Banana Cinnamon Crumb Muffins are trying to torture me…one crumb at a time.

One thing I’ve learned about myself is that I perform my best work when I’m not rushing the process. Can I produce good stuff under pressure? Yes, but it’s even better when I give myself time.

That’s why I often find myself testing recipes over a long period of time in a less formal way (i.e. these muffins took 3 months for 3 tries) rather than spending a day doing intense recipe development. 90% of the time a recipe starts off as something we’re eating, just to eat but gets developed over time to become the recipe you see today.

Minus the ecookbook, this is pretty much how I’ve always done it.

A delicious and moist classic banana muffin with added cinnamon and crumb topping. These Banana Cinnamon Crumb Muffins are also gluten-free and lightened-up. Perfect for weekday breakfasts or snacking.Same goes for writing…except that I haven’t quite succumbed to this idea of patience.

I find myself scheduling out time to write with the clear goal of ending said time with a completed post. This pretty much never happens. Without fail, if I say “the Banana Cinnamon Crumb Muffin post must be written between 10:00 AM- 11:00 AM on Tuesday”, I will not complete the post.

Let’s hash out the writing process of these muffins for a moment:

Attempt #1) Post-shooting the muffins I tried writing my thoughts. All I got was “I love when my man hand models my crumbs” –> but for real, check out C’s man hands delicately sprinkling crumbs onto the muffins (and yes I asked him in those exact words). Clearly I didn’t get very far through the writing process.

A delicious and moist classic banana muffin with added cinnamon and crumb topping. These Banana Cinnamon Crumb Muffins are also gluten-free and lightened-up. Perfect for weekday breakfasts or snacking.Attempt #2) In the airport waiting to fly to Boston. I was too distraught over Porter removing their unlimited roasted almond canister, to create a nut-free environment that I couldn’t get my head in the game.

Attempt #3) On the plane. I was hangry and I don’t tend to perform when I’m hangry. Then the free wine appeared and we all know that Davs + wine is a little too sassy for this space.

Attempt #4) The entire weekend. Too busy having fun. Sorry.

Attempt #5) On the plane ride home. I was passed out before we even took off.

And finally…

Attempt #6) Here we are! I’m *supposed* to be shooting the chili I just cooked but instead got the urge to sit down and write this post.

The lesson learned here is to just assume that if I’m scheduled to do any activity besides write, I can probably bank on getting the urge to write. Unless of course there are roasted nuts, wine or planes involved.

Banana Cinnamon Crumb Muffins

Cook Time 35 mins

For the Muffins

For the Cinnamon Crumb Topping

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Place muffin liners in a muffin tin or spray with coconut oil.
  3. In a large bowl combine gluten-free flour, rolled oats, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
  4. In a separate bowl mash up bananas and then add egg, coconut oil, almond milk, coconut sugar and vanilla.
  5. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir to combine.
  6. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups (they should be almost full).

For the Cinnamon Crumb Topping:

1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, using a fork to mix coconut oil with the rest of the ingredients.
  2. Mixture should be come clumpy.
  3. Sprinkle mixture over muffins and using the palm of your hand, lightly press into batter.
  4. Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes (mine are done at 23 minutes) and then remove from over to cool in tin.
  5. Allow to sit in tin for 20 minutes before removing and allowing them to cool completely.
  6. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or longer in fridge. These freeze well.

Notes

*I use Namaste Gluten-Free Flour Blend. Make sure whichever blend you use contains xanthan gum otherwise they will crumble

A delicious and moist classic banana muffin with added cinnamon and crumb topping. These Banana Cinnamon Crumb Muffins are also gluten-free and lightened-up. Perfect for weekday breakfasts or snacking.Do you work well under pressure? When do you do your best writing?

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    September 11, 2015 at 8:32 am

lol loved your reasons for why you couldn’t write up the post. They all sound rather legit to me.
    And C’s hand modeling is straight up perfection. Please feature is hands more often 😉
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Coconut Cashew Hemp Bars [No Bake, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free]

Les @ The Balanced Berry
    September 11, 2015 at 9:37 am

THESE MUFFINS. They look incredible, I love a good crumb topping. And Curt is a great hand model!

As far as writing goes, I definitely perform better when I give myself time. But usually I don’t give myself time (time management has never been my forte) and end up having to work under pressure. Not my preference, but that’s usually what happens.

September 11, 2015 at 3:47 pm

I’m so happy to hear I’m not the only one who has issues with time management! I’ve got some type A in me but me + time have never been on the same level!

Julia
    September 11, 2015 at 10:20 am

I’m in the same boat as you – I feel much more confident in my work when I’ve had plenty of time to complete it and am relaxed. These muffins look like a definite win! I’m always up for a warmly spiced baked goodie for breakfast or snack!
    Julia recently posted…Herby Grilled Burgers with Caramelized Onions and Jalapeños

September 11, 2015 at 3:48 pm

yeahhhhh girl! You know you’re a food blogger when you refer to a recipe as “warmly spiced” 😉

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    September 11, 2015 at 2:39 pm

LOL I know exactly what you mean. If it was me though, I’d be eating these muffins before any photography or writing happened -_-
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…Honey Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies + Nektar Naturals Giveaway

September 11, 2015 at 3:49 pm

I have to eat a full meal before shooting otherwise I’ll eat the subject!!! I feel ya

Natalie @ A Fit Philosophy
    September 11, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Welll I’m sure glad you took the time to make this recipe because it sure does look delish! I have to try this…especially because it has crumbs! I am guilty of eating the crumbs from any delicious recipe, so this one would be right up my alley 🙂
    Natalie @ A Fit Philosophy recently posted…Protein Pancakes – Oh MY!

September 14, 2015 at 6:44 am

Right?! I’m the girl who eats the crumb topping off of apple crumble! No shame 🙂

lindsay
    September 12, 2015 at 8:47 am

girl you are BUSY! and i so get the attempts to test these. I do the same. I can’t do all at once, I don’t have patience and i’m ADD. now go make that chili

September 14, 2015 at 6:45 am

So happy to hear I’m not alone! I just don’t get how people can cook –> shoot –> write –>promote all at once. Apparently I’m not as good of a multitasker as I thought!

September 12, 2015 at 9:31 am

I’ll eat anything with a cinnamon crumb topping, even if it took you three months to make it. That’s actually how lots of my recipes come about. I test granola ones the same way. I eat the first batch, make notes, make a totally different kind the next time, because who wants the same granola twice. Eventually I get back to that first batch and those notes and try again. It’s a more relaxed way of living and I rather enjoy it. Now if only my silly day job wouldn’t get in the way.

She Rocks Fitness
    September 12, 2015 at 4:44 pm

YUMMY! I love everything about these muffins…Especially that crunch on top! 🙂
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…Learn About ACK Wrap…

Kelly @ Eat the Gains
    September 14, 2015 at 10:16 am

I agree with you on the recipe testing. It takes me months to figure out a recipe.
    Kelly @ Eat the Gains recently posted…WOD 09/03/2015

marsha timothy
    September 16, 2015 at 8:54 pm

you’re the multitalent girl. Proud of you, Davida 🙂

Aaron Chow
    September 30, 2015 at 10:16 am

Awesome post! How did you take these beautiful pictures? Softbox?

Best,
    Aaron
    Aaron Chow recently posted…strawberry (and cherry) cheesecake parfaits

October 1, 2015 at 3:31 pm

Hey Aaron! Thanks so much! Nope, just gorgeous natural light 🙂

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut
    October 10, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Your whole writing dilemma is my life! BUT here’s the thing..I tend to schedule certain things and decide I want to do other productive things instead..which isn’t bad. I’m okay if I check off 75 percent of my to-do list in a day because that means I actually got some ish done.

That all being said, I keep reading that “creatives” need to stop waiting to be inspired to write or create and to train themselves to just do work. I have not gotten to that point yet LOL.

Also these muffins look amazing and I must include them in my banana recipes Lifehack post!! 🙂
    Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut recently posted…Fire-Roasted Tomato Hummus Recipe with Bacon

October 12, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Thanks, lovely!! You’re so write. I need to just learn how to channel the skill at all times since like any skill it requires practice. Definitely something to think about!

Marie
    May 13, 2016 at 3:39 am

Thank you for this amazing recipe! I added some dark chocolate and walnuts and its my favourite banana bread / muffins ever!!!
    Added the link to this recipe on my youfood also..

Simone
    April 25, 2017 at 5:10 pm

What can I use instead of gluten free flour ?