dinner gluten-free vegan vegetarian

Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Spicy Roasted Chickpeas

November 3, 2015

Swap the pasta for a low-carb alternative in this Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Spicy Roasted Chickpeas recipe!  This vegetarian dinner is high in fibre, protein and certainly not lacking on flavor!

Swap the pasta for a low-carb alternative in this Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Spicy Roasted Chickpeas recipe! This vegetarian dinner is high in fibre, protein and certainly not lacking on flavor!I’ve always been fascinated by the concept that the only true constant in our life is change. I know, what an esoteric thought for a Tuesday.

It’s been something that’s been on my mind a lot lately. Mainly the idea that we spend so much of our lives trying to control time, either slow it down or speed it up, when the reality is that the only thing permanent in life is impermanence.

As I get older I am aware of this concept more and more and subsequently have learned to never rule anything out in the realm of possibility (or impossibility)

This recipe for Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Spicy Roasted Chickpeas is the prime example of this.

Swap the pasta for a low-carb alternative in this Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Spicy Roasted Chickpeas recipe! This vegetarian dinner is high in fibre, protein and certainly not lacking on flavor!I used to H-A-T-E spaghetti squash. I really can’t explain my distaste for it because truthfully it doesn’t really taste like anything except whatever you top it with and I’m also pretty indifferent about its texture. It came down to how it made me feel, which for one of the healthier foods on the planet this doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

As much as I love vegetables (and I really really love vegetables), too many of them results in serious digestive pain. Veggies are super high in fibre so eating too many of them can result in some major issues for certain people. I used to be one of those people.

My reaction to spaghetti squash used to be pretty miserable for myself and anyone who came across me in the hours after eating (TMI? sorry). But in true form, my body one day woke up and had completely changed.

I can now eat unlimited amounts of spaghetti squash without an issue. Though once again I’m never ruling out the possibility that this may change.

Swap the pasta for a low-carb alternative in this Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Spicy Roasted Chickpeas recipe! This vegetarian dinner is high in fibre, protein and certainly not lacking on flavor!I also used to always say that I could never be a vegetarian. I love meat too much. But lately I just haven’t been craving it at all. Besides the occasional seafood and eggs, I’ve pretty much been veggo for a month now and it hasn’t been difficult or painful at all. And truly, not an ounce of me is missing chicken or beef in the slightest.

Does this mean I’m a vegetarian? Vegan? Vegan-Paleo-Raw-Fruititarian? Maybe. That’s the funny thing about life. In my lifetime I may be every single one of these. The reality is that we can’t predict the future or what it will look like for us. All we can do is be open-minded to it and know that no matter what, it will arrive.

For now I’m enjoying vegetarian, spaghatti-squash filled meals like these. Who know’s what I’ll be eating tomorrow!

Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Spicy Roasted Chickpeas

• 1/4 tsp pepper
  • optional: 1-2 tsp sriracha for added spice

For the Pesto:

• 1 cup kale, packed
  • 1 cup basil, packed
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 cup walnuts (or pine nuts)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 cup water, to thin out

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.*
  2. Pierce your spaghetti squashes several times with a fork.
  3. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 1.25-1.5 hours.
  4. Cut open and let cool on baking sheet.
  5. Scoop out seeds once cooled down and then run a fork through each half to create noodles.

For the Chickpeas:

1. In a large bowl combine all ingredients until chickpeas are well coated.
  2. Spread out on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 mins (at 400) or until chickpeas are browned and crispy.

For the Pesto:

1. Combine all pesto ingredients in a blender or food processor. Thin out with additional water if necessary.

To Serve:

1. Top each spaghetti squash with pesto and chickpeas.
  2. Serve warm.

Notes

*This is how I cook my spaghetti squash. There are many methods to do it but I prefer mine because it doesn’t require me to have to cut through/man-handle the squash when it’s raw.

Nutrition

• Serving Size: 4

Swap the pasta for a low-carb alternative in this Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Spicy Roasted Chickpeas recipe! This vegetarian dinner is high in fibre, protein and certainly not lacking on flavor!Have you ever done a a full 180 on something? What’s changed most about you recently?

Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!

Lynn Humphrey
    November 3, 2015 at 10:30 am

I’m new to your site and am reading this recipe for the first time. Do you provide nutritional info (calories, fat, etc.? Are we to use all the pesto with the two squash or to taste?
    Thanks!

November 3, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Hi Lynn! thanks for stopping by. No, I do not provide nutritional info on recipes. I answer why I don’t in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RD-TGTfdss (min 5:47). As for the pesto, I used it all but you can certainly use it to taste.

Lynn Humphrey
        November 5, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Hi Davida,
        Tried the spaghetti squash with chick peas and pesto last night…..WOW! It was just delicious and I’ll have no problem having it again tonight. Thanks for a delicious recipe. I can’t wait to try more of your recipes!

November 9, 2015 at 11:35 am

Aw, thank you so much!I’m so happy you enjoyed the recipe 🙂

Jen
    November 3, 2015 at 11:07 am

This recipe sounds amazing. I have yet to make a good roasted chickpea. I have a can in the pantry, so I might need to just try it today. My 180 food would have to be beets. I used to hate them, but not they are one of my favorites!
    Jen recently posted…MODALITY OF THE MONTH: MEDICINE BALL

Emilie @ Emilie Eats
    November 3, 2015 at 1:18 pm

First, everything about this recipe has me doing a happy dance. Squash! Pesto! Those chickpeas!!! Be still my heart.
    Second, I totallyyyy get you. Isn’t it weird how we always change? I used to say I could never be vegan; maybe vegetarian, but I could never give up cheese. Coming from the girl who called herself “the cheese queen” at 8. Who knows if I’ll always eat vegan? It’s all about eating the foods that make you feel best and surrounding yourself with positive energy to build yourself up.
    Is it too early in the week to get this deep? Oh well💁🏼
    Emilie @ Emilie Eats recently posted…12 Cozy, Feel-Good Vegan Dinner Recipes

November 3, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Never too early (or too late!) And to keep with the Justin Bieber theme of this post…never say never 😉

Miss Polkadot
    November 3, 2015 at 2:50 pm

What I like about this post? Everything. The recipe sounds absolutely amazing and if spaghetti squash was available around here I’d give it a try in an instant.
    Then what you wrote: so true. Who knows about tomorrow? Living in the moment – as cliché as that saying sounds – is the best.
    And there you said you weren’t a writer. Well, girl, I’d say that was once and definitely has changed now – insightful words galore. Maybe not a letter-writing person [hint, hint] but a writer for sure.

November 3, 2015 at 9:43 pm

hahahahahaha never gonna live that down! It’s funny because I think the universe is trying to tell me I need to write more because literally everywhere I turn someone is handing me a notebook or journal. Perhaps it will spur a letter-writing spree haha. Glad you liked the post, darling!

Tanya
    November 3, 2015 at 5:17 pm

First of all, this recipe looks great, and second, congrats on the one month mark of reducing your meat consumption! I’m in the same boat as you and have been vegetarian for the last month, although I lean more towards vegan eats. Now that I’ve been eating this way, my body just craves more of the good stuff. Bring on the kale and hummus, I say! 🙂

November 3, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Bring it on baaaaaby! Seriously loving it so far 🙂 Glad I’ve got company!

Heather Mason @NuttyNutrition
    November 3, 2015 at 8:15 pm

oh my gosh, this looks amazing. I love spaghetti squash recipes that don’t just mimic regular spaghetti with marinara sauce. Also, I love that you used walnuts instead of pine nuts, so much healthier and tastier (IMO)!
    Heather Mason @NuttyNutrition recently posted…Bananas Foster

Bharat Sharma
    November 4, 2015 at 2:42 am

For a meat eater ( who loves meat a lot) it’s very difficult to adopt a vegetarian diet but not impossible. I am vegetarian by birth and I love it. Talking about the spaghetti Squash, I have never eaten it but there are many dishes we prepare using chickpeas. My mom is expert in this and all I know is enjoy deliciousness of dishes. Pictures in this post can make anyone carve for the dish.
    Bharat Sharma recently posted…33 Major Health & Beauty Benefits of Mango

November 9, 2015 at 11:39 am

you’re right! It’s much easier to be a vegetarian by birth, but I’m slowly getting used to and enjoying it! So lucky your Mom is an expert 🙂

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    November 4, 2015 at 8:14 am

I adore thisssss. Been loving spaghetti squash so much this year. You can seriously make it a meal with anything. Need to try this pesto you have here too!!
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls [with salted caramel glaze]

November 9, 2015 at 11:40 am

Me too! Plus they keep forever so when I find them on sale I buy like 10 of them…then have to try to figure out how the hell to get them home haha

Lee
    November 4, 2015 at 11:07 am

DYINGGGG. These are gorgeous! Love all the colors and the contrast of the garbz. I can’t wait for this vegan phase to pass 🙂
    Lee recently posted…Sweet Potato Hummus

dixya | food, pleasure, and health
    November 4, 2015 at 11:32 am

im the same way when it comes to spaghetti squash until recently. i tried a recipe from Sonali’s new cookbook and it was pretty delicious. i may give it a shot again with pesto.
    dixya | food, pleasure, and health recently posted…Soybean Salad {Bhatmas Sadeko}

Julian Child
    May 13, 2016 at 11:56 am

Okay, I am extra excited to try this recipe out ….. tomorrow! I am very opposed to eat anything out of cans but tonight I will prepare the chickpeas. There are quite a few different ways to cook spaghetti squash and I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and roast. By waiting until tomorrow, I can mince up a ton of garlic, mix it in olive oil, slather it over the cut squash and let it “marinate” before roasting. Thank you SO much for this recipe!!!