dinner gluten-free vegan vegetarian

Thai Quinoa Casserole

January 8, 2016

A quick and easy one-pan meal, this Thai Quinoa Casserole makes a flavorful vegetarian dinner recipe for the whole family. Topped with a zesty peanut sauce, your weekday dinners are officially complete!Costco encompasses all that I hate and love in this world. As someone who *tries* to be a conscious consumer, it’s pretty much the worst place on earth for me to do my shopping. On the other hand, I’m a sucker for a good deal and $16 for a GIGANTIC bag of organic quinoa is hard for me to turn down.

I literally have a moral dilemma every time I walk through the doors at Costco. First, I should preface this statement by sharing that my Costco experiences are not the average. If any of you have ever experienced Costco with my mother, you know what I mean. There is no going in with a list of things you need. You must absolutely walk through every single aisle, inspecting every single item in the store. Then she proceeds to call each of her 4 children and ask what they could possibly need from Costco.

Unless of course you have the privilege of accompanying her on a visit.

A quick and easy one-pan meal, this Thai Quinoa Casserole makes a flavorful vegetarian dinner recipe for the whole family. Topped with a zesty peanut sauce, your weekday dinners are officially complete!In addition to a love-hate relationship with Costco, I also have a tumultuous relationship with documentaries. I am the ultimate documentary watcher. If you ever want me to join your crusade, just get your doc up on Netflix and place me in front of it. I will be on board 5 minutes in.

After watching Cowspiracy, I basically became vegan. After Blackfish, I boycoted Sea World (not that I’ve actually ever been…) and after True Cost, I became exceptionally conscious of my purchasing habits.

I can no longer walk into Costco without a care in the world! All I see when I stare at those cheap lululemon knock-off pants is a sweatshop. And when I spot those gigantic bags of Skinny Pop I am forced to relive my lack of self-control..

A quick and easy one-pan meal, this Thai Quinoa Casserole makes a flavorful vegetarian dinner recipe for the whole family. Topped with a zesty peanut sauce, your weekday dinners are officially complete!But I also realize that it’s not an effective or enjoyable way to live by being scared of everything. I already spend enough time on WebMD diagnosing my various ailments that spending all my spare time researching fair-trade, locally-sourced, sustainable everything would leave me with little time to actually live my life.

So as with everything in my life, I’m coming to terms with the idea that I can’t live life “perfectly”. I can support my local farmers and buy my cheap organic bag of quinoa from Costco. I can buy a scarf at Zara and a sweatshirt from a local designer. I can play my role in sustainable living by decreasing my meat consumption but still having the very occasional piece of bacon.

Learning that doing my best, whatever best looks like that day is more than enough. Plus it means not having a complete emotional breakdown every time I walk into Costco! Off to be swayed by another documentary…kidding 😉

Thai Quinoa Casserole

For the Peanut Sauce

For the Peanut Sauce:

1. Add all ingredients together in a large bowl.

For the Casserole:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    2. Spray a large casserole dish (9x13) with coconut oil spray.
    3. Add uncooked quinoa to casserole dish and top with red onion, broccoli, edamame and bell pepper.
    4. Combine water and coconut milk and stir in curry powder, ginger, cayenne and salt.
    5. Pour water-coconut milk mixture over quinoa-vegetable mixture until well coated.
    6. Top with half of peanut sauce and cover with tin foil.
    7. Bake for 50 minutes covered.
    8. Remove tin foil and bake for an addition 10-15 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed by quinoa.
    9. Top with remaining peanut sauce and serve.

Notes

*I used red quinoa but if using white quinoa you will need to adjust baking time to 45 mins covered and 5-10 minutes uncovered.

A quick and easy one-pan meal, this Thai Quinoa Casserole makes a flavorful vegetarian dinner recipe for the whole family. Topped with a zesty peanut sauce, your weekday dinners are officially complete!Thoughts on Costco? Are you as easily swayed by documentaries?

Alysia at Slim Sanity
      January 8, 2016 at 7:20 am

Costco is the only place I buy quinoa anymore! We bought 4 pounds last weekend. i love how many organic options for food there are there! Like, slightly obsessed.

The Healthy Maven
        January 9, 2016 at 7:09 pm

Right?! It makes my whole “big box” moral dilemma kind of difficult haha

Gwen @ Delightful Adventures
      January 8, 2016 at 9:01 am

Documentaries have a way of doing those things to us 🙂 …Costco too! I totally buy that big bag of quinoa each time I am there.How can you not? 😉

This looks DELICIOUS! I love the peanut sauce. I’m missing a few ingredients but I’ve added them to my grocery list so I can make this next week. Thank you!
      Gwen @ Delightful Adventures recently posted…Cranberry Apple Beet Smoothie

Laura
      January 8, 2016 at 9:26 am

My daughter shops at BJs only because of the great selection of organic vegetables.

This recipe looks yummy. What can we use to substitute peanut butter? Tahini? Or would it be possible to try almond butter instead of peanut butter?

dixya | food, pleasure, and health
      January 8, 2016 at 10:07 am

i try to be conscious consumer but due to my lifestyle and finances, it is very hard to be perfect all the time..but small efforts counts too i hope in the long run. i do get influenced by documentaries a lot as well.
      dixya | food, pleasure, and health recently posted…Virtual Coffee Date

Kelly @ Eat the Gains
      January 8, 2016 at 11:36 am

Ugh, Costco is the best and the worst. They do have some good deals on healthy stuff, which I love, but somehow my boyfriend and I usually end up there on a Sunday with the rest of the world and everyone just loses their common sense. I just don’t get it. We just got that huge bag of quinoa last week from there, so I think I will try this next week! It looks bomb!
      Kelly @ Eat the Gains recently posted…San Antonio Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon 2015

The Healthy Maven
        January 9, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Fab! Perfect way to use your quinoa 🙂 And I know! Weekends at Costco actually make me question my sanity haha

She Rocks Fitness
      January 8, 2016 at 12:30 pm

As you know I LOVE Costco and when you live on island 30 miles out to sea stocking up at Costco is a huge money saver for me and YES it is the only place I buy quinoa now. It’s 100% worth it.
      She Rocks Fitness recently posted…What The Single Woman Buys At Costco Part V

Lisa
      January 8, 2016 at 12:45 pm

This looks so tasty! Adding this to my list to try this month 🙂 Also seems like a great ‘batch cook’ type recipe to get meals made for the week.

The Healthy Maven
        January 9, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Exactly! I’d like to believe I could have this on hand for a week’s worth of meals, but my BF usually polishes it off way too quickly haha

Stacie, RDN @ Simply Nourished Recipes
      January 8, 2016 at 1:12 pm

This looks super delicious Davida! It’s lunch time and this officially made me hungry! Thanks for sharing all of your deliciousness!!
      Stacie, RDN @ Simply Nourished Recipes recently posted…Shepherd’s Pie with Sweet Potato Topping

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
      January 8, 2016 at 1:22 pm

lolol Now I see that OF COURSE you’ve watched Fed up then. Shouldn’t have even bothered asking 😉
      I feel you on the moral dilemma thing. My husband gave me a hard time about the coffee I bought the other day, it was fair trade organic and he was like “Come on, that has to be so much money, blah blah blah, the big tubs blah blah” ACTUALLY it was on sale, thank you very much! I REFUSE the BIG TUBS. Okay sorry, end rant. 😀
      This looks bomb. I love thai peanut flavor anything <3
      Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Cherry Berry Antioxidant Smoothie Bowl + The Ultimate Smoothie Bowl Roundup

The Healthy Maven
        January 9, 2016 at 7:06 pm

GIRLFRIEND I brought a bag of fair-trade, organic, solar-roasted coffee with me to Malibu LOL…Lee and I polished it off in an amount of time I’m too ashamed to admit…so we succumbed to a bag of Peets from Target haha. Can’t always win!

January 8, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Quinoa with an Asian fusion? How delicious does that sound?! I also watched Cowspiracy and I’ve decided to make a very slow transition to a plant based diet. I haven’t started just yet–I’m going to be vegetarian by the time I start college and I can’t wait!
      Cassie recently posted…Holiday Week Part 2: NYR’s, Blender-Free Ice Cream, Protein Pancakes, Indian Food Baby #2, More Reviews, a Mellow New Year’s Eve, Japanese New Year Celebration, Breakfast in Bed + New YouTube Video

Consuelo | Earthly Taste
      January 8, 2016 at 4:57 pm

Ooohhhh how come I hadn’t seen the new site??? It looks terrific and you look gorgeous in the pic! I also love the looks of this ahhhh *.*

Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together
      January 8, 2016 at 11:35 pm

I LOVE COSTCO. Not as much as Joe though. He goes and buys me boxes of Kind bars and ships them to me 🙂 I actually just get Costco delivered here… because #sanfrancisco.
      Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together recently posted…Now Trending – Best Links Week of 1.3

The Healthy Maven
        January 9, 2016 at 7:04 pm

LOL I just wolfed down two kind bars. I bought two boxes worth of them at Target this week since I’m SO HUNGRY! They’re all gone now wahhhh

Maddie
      January 9, 2016 at 8:02 pm

Love, love, LOVE this Davida! It is so important to find a balanced approach in life. I sometimes find myself in a situation where I am beyond frusterated because I cannot achieve the perfection I want, but I have come to realize that this state is IMPOSSIBLE. I am so glad that I have postive influences like you in my life 🙂
      Maddie recently posted…My All-Time Favorite Yogurt Brands

The Healthy Maven
        January 10, 2016 at 8:31 pm

Aw thank you, lovely! It’s a good lesson to learn. You just gotta do what you can, but not at the expense of driving yourself crazy. We can keep each other accountable 🙂

Sarah D
      January 10, 2016 at 8:55 pm

I just made this for dinner and it was DELISH! Definitely going to be added to my regular recipe rotation. That peanut sauce is amazing. Thanks for a great recipe!

The Healthy Maven
        January 11, 2016 at 8:42 am

So wonderful! It’s actually on the menu here tonight too 🙂

Neely
      January 11, 2016 at 1:46 am

I’m curious, what’s your morale dilemma with Costco? It wasn’t clear if you were upset because they’re a big box store or because they sell meat. I only ask because I’ve never heard any criticism about Costco before. They’re a big employer where I live in Seattle, because they’re headquartered here. They provide living-wage jobs to even those on the bottom of the corporate ladder. In the 90s, I worked for a local grocery store and was paid $4.50/hour. I had friends who bagged groceries at Costco and the starting wage was $10/hour. This was 1992. I don’t know the start salary now, but I bet it’s pretty high. I just think they’re a great company all around and they have an amazing wine selection. That’s saying a lot coming from me, because I’m generally anti-big box in general. Luckily, we don’t have Walmart in Seattle, so I don’t have to ever even consider shopping there. Not trying to start an argument, I’m just generally curious. BTW, I’m going to try your recipe this week.

The Healthy Maven
        January 11, 2016 at 8:34 am

Totally understand where you’re coming from! In an ideal world, I’d be able to shop 100% local and support my local farmers who are often overshadowed by these big box stores. Not trying to bash on Costco specifically, just that these larger grocery stores make it harder for local farmers to compete. Thanks for sharing! Glad we’re able to start a positive discussion here 🙂

Alison
      January 22, 2016 at 10:11 am

If I wanted to add chicken, do you think I could put it in with everything in the casserole dish? Or just cook it separately and add it after? Thanks! Looks delicious.

The Healthy Maven
        January 22, 2016 at 10:23 am

yup! Just throw it in with everything else and it will cook through perfectly 🙂

Krystle
      January 26, 2016 at 9:25 pm

When you say to pour the milk mixture to cover, do you mean to not use the full amount? Also should the vegetables not be stirred? I used the full amount and stirred it and followed the recipe to a t. It has now been cooking for 50 minutes covered and 30 minutes uncovered and the quinoa is still not cooked. Gonna try covering it for a bit to see if it can be salvaged.

January 26, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Hi Krystle. Yes, the full amount should be used. What kind of quinoa are you using? Also perhaps your oven runs cooler? I’ve made this many times, as have so many others without any issue! Hope it works out for you.

kate
        December 29, 2016 at 11:11 pm

I had EXACTLY the same issue when I tried this. It took about twice as long as indicated to get to anything other than soup.
        I used white quinoa, and started with a hotter oven (my husband had just cooked a pizza at a higher temp). I did use a round casserole dish instead of the 13 x 9, I used the full amount of liquid, and I did stir everything together.

The flavor is great, and I’ll certainly try it again, but by the time the casserole wasn’t soupy anymore, everything got a little goopy instead. I suspect the wider dish (thinner layer of quinoa,) plus the layer of vegetables (rather than mixed in) might have made a difference in the steaming/cooking time.

Dextosterone
      February 5, 2016 at 3:39 pm

I just came across your blog and I have been going through the Man-Friendly Vegan Meal post which I have to say has some very delicious and creative recipes. I can’t wait to make some of these recipes and share them on ig. I just wanted to let you know that you should add a note for a substitute to honey in your Thai Quinoa Casserole dish to make it completely vegan for those very strict vegans.

Thanks

February 7, 2016 at 10:57 am

yup! You’re so right – maple syrup is a great substitute as is coconut sugar. Thanks for the heads up!

Lindsay
      March 17, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Can I use frozen broccoli?

Lindsay
      March 18, 2016 at 8:03 pm

This was so good. My husband hates qunioa but he loved this dish. The full fat coconut milk made it so creamy and delicious and I’m so glad it makes enough for leftovers.

March 20, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Glad you enjoyed! Sorry for being so delayed in responding. Was on vacation. Enjoy the leftovers!

Michelle
      March 22, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Hi. What can I substitute for edamame? (No soy)

Lynn D
      March 31, 2016 at 5:51 pm

This recipe looks delicious! But I’ve never used coconut milk & so I looked it up online – the calories and fat in coconut milk are off the charts high! Any suggestions for something I could use in its place or maybe replace half of it with something else?

Jennie
      March 31, 2016 at 7:23 pm

This recipe looks really good…I will have to try it! Oh, and FYI, unlike Lululemon, those “cheap knock-off yoga pants” are actually made in Canada, and are actually a decent quality, like lulu was before they sold out and began making them in sweatshops in China. Wouldn’t hurt to do a little extra research if you are wanting to be a more conscious consumer😃 Not to mention that a huge bag of organic quinoa at Costco is a fraction of the price at the supermarket, so one again, smart consumerism!

vishal surana
      April 2, 2016 at 6:33 pm

I tried it today. Rather Edamame I have used sweet potato. It came out very good. Thanks. It was amazing recipe

Katie
      August 30, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Is the coconut milk 1 1/4 cups or 1/4 cup?

The font is difficult to decipher.

Thanks!

Nicky
      September 7, 2016 at 11:31 am

I just made this, it was good and my dad really liked it!
      But I would say the amount is 3 main meal servings.
      I just used half of the can of coconut milk (and rest water), but for me it was still a bit too fatty so I will try it with a quarter of a can next time. And I just used 1 Tablespoon of peanut butter…that was plenty..

Thanks so much for this recipe! Finally a veggie dish my dad likes! The title really holds its promise 🙂

Megan
      October 3, 2016 at 6:05 pm

Great recipe. I don’t mind the coconut milk fat/calories given that this is a meat free dish and the fat is plant based. Haven’t tried it with Light Coconut milk but assuming it would work just fine. I will say, I like a LOT of flavor so I add about 3T of curry powder as well as 1T coriander, 1-2 t cumin, and 1-2t chili powder. I also use fresh grated ginger to sub for the powder. Love it this way but if you’re not accustomed to a lot of ethnic flavor it might not be for you!

Emma
      October 22, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Making this for the BF and his parents tonight! So excited to debut this amazing recipe – thanks for being my go-to for a healthy perspective on food and life in general. Major life goals!!

October 23, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Aw thank you, Emma! This totally made my day. I hope you and the fam enjoy it. Total hit around here!

Kayla
      October 27, 2016 at 9:32 am

This recipe has become a new favorite of mine, thank you for creating this!! Do you have the nutritional information on this by chance?

November 4, 2016 at 11:59 pm

I don’t, unfortunately but I’m thrilled you enjoyed the recipe! Thanks for the support 🙂

Kelly Chehardy
      December 14, 2016 at 7:54 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and OMG so delicious!!! (and I am a picky eater) This is just perfect. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Andrea
      January 10, 2017 at 11:03 pm

I absolutely LOVE this recipe. It is one of my favs. I brought it to our Thanksgiving meal and received lots of compliments by everyone 🙂
      Andrea recently posted…Sticky Orange Chicken

Andrea
        January 10, 2017 at 11:05 pm

Referring to the Thai Quinoa Casserole. Not sure where the Sticky Orange Chicken recipe link came from since I don’t eat meat.
        Andrea recently posted…Sticky Orange Chicken

Eric
      January 27, 2017 at 6:59 pm

My girlfriend sent me this recipe and asked me to cook it for dinner. We had most of the ingredients on hand so I gave it a go. It’s so good, addictively good! And it comes together so quickly, it’s definitely going to be one of our go to meals. Only thing I subbed out was peas for the edamame, we didn’t have it on hand.

Jennifer
      May 17, 2017 at 12:11 pm

I modified this by cooking rice with the coconut sauce on the stove-top and steaming veggies separately, and putting peanut sauce on everything. (It was too hot to bake).
      All I can say is OH.MY.GOODNESS was this ever good! My 4-year old even took a few bites and said “I want to eat this EVERY DAY!”

Caraskitchen
      July 1, 2017 at 8:38 pm

I completely get where you are at with costco. Personally I like to go there for certain things- like la croix cause its so much cheaper then buying it anywhere else. Anyways- this recipe sounds amazing, i am absolutely going to try it out