breakfast gluten-free oatmeal/granola

Triple Berry Baked Oatmeal

June 5, 2016

I never thought it would happen, but over the past year I became a smoothie person. Oatmeal became less frequent and my mornings now start with a roaring plane engine (okay fine…it’s my blender!) and more greens than grains. If you had spoken to the oatmeal-obsessed girl that dominated 25 years of my life, I would never have believed you that my days start with a smoothie 90% of the time.

And then I stopped sleeping…and all of this changed.

No need to pick your favorite berry in this Triple Berry Baked Oatmeal. Swap in your top choices and toss in the oven for a healthy breakfast or brunch recipe that is gluten-free and vegan too!For a variety of reasons I’ve been having some trouble sleeping lately. It likely has to do with the fact that I’ve slept in my own bed 4 of the past 28 sleeps. Life on the road messes with your sleep, even if you’re not dealing with much jetlag.

As a result, I’m usually up and ready to go at 5:00 AM!!!! <–unheard of from someone who doesn’t like being up before 9:00 AM.

I’ve tried reading, decreasing technology before bed and even melatonin (which only conks me out for 4 hours but leaves me wide awake in the middle of the night).

The truth is, I’m stressed and a little overwhelmed. I also have faith that this season will pass and I’ll go back to sleeping like a baby. No need to be concerned.

All’s to say is that these early morning wake-ups leave me craving a warm bowl (or plate!) of oatmeal and not a cold smoothie bowl.

Suddenly I’m right back where I started.

Fear not oatmeal, I’m back with a vengeance. That is until I start sleeping again…

Triple Berry Baked Oatmeal

• Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 40 minutes
  • Total Time: 50 minutes
  • Yield: 6 servings

1. Make flax eggs and set aside.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  3. Grease an 8-9 inch baking pan with coconut oil.
  4. In a large bowl combine rolled oats, oat flour and cinnamon.
  5. In a separate bowl combine mashed bananas, non-dairy milk, and maple syrup.
  6. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir together.
  7. Add in berries, pecans and flax eggs until well-combined.
  8. Add batter to baking dish and bake, uncovered for 40 minutes (or until cooked all the way through).
  9. Cut into 6 slices and serve immediately.
  10. Top with nut butter, more maple syrup or toppings of choice.

Notes

*I grind mine in the blender but you can use store-bought

No need to pick your favorite berry in this Triple Berry Baked Oatmeal. Swap in your top choices and toss in the oven for a healthy breakfast or brunch recipe that is gluten-free and vegan too!Are you a good sleeper? Do you crave different breakfast foods when you’re up early?

Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!

Kelsey Preciado
    June 5, 2016 at 9:56 am

Girl!! 2 things: 1- this looking incredible and your nut butter drizzle is on point! 2- I’ve been stressed lately too!! It’s crazy how it can effect your mind and body. I’ve been doing yoga ( like the calm chill kind), using a meditation app, and took a lovely bath last night (followed by face mask :))! It’s weird to have to put tons of effort into relaxing but you gotta do it!! Don’t be afraid to take time for you. XOXO!

June 6, 2016 at 10:34 am

yeahhhhh girl so happy to be home, exclusively so I can facemask…okay and cuddle with the dog haha. I need more yoga in my life!

June 5, 2016 at 11:04 am

Don’t be so hard on yourself or overstrain yourself on anything! Hope you get enough rest–you definitely will need it! Sleep is very important. 🙂 Anyways, I would love to try making this oatmeal! I have tons of strawberries and blueberries–and I might be crazy and add some cherries and dark chocolate chips!
    Cassie recently posted…Curried Shirataki Noodles (vegan)

June 6, 2016 at 10:36 am

cherries and dark chocolate chips sound like an unreal addition! Enjoy!

Leah M @ love me, feed me
    June 5, 2016 at 11:36 am

Oh hello there beautiful oats <3 these look SO good and that nut butter drizzle <3 <3
    I hope you're getting enough rest and taking care of yourself, lovely! I hope your sleep gets a little more normal too, I wish I had some tips and tricks for a good nights sleep, but when I went through a month or so of similar to what you mentioned, I just waited it out.
    Sending lots of love and sleepy vibes!!
    Leah M @ love me, feed me recently posted…nyc so far | in food part 3

June 6, 2016 at 10:36 am

That’s how I’m feeling! Instead of feeling pressured to fix the problem, I’m being easier on myself and just letting it work out on it’s own. Already starting to feel better!

Emilie @ Emilie Eats
    June 5, 2016 at 11:55 am

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a thick and delicious slice of baked oatmeal!! Must make this with all the summer berries.
    You definitely need to get some sleep, gfran! I have sleeping problems sometimes…maybe because I’m up until 2 on my computer (oops). But 5 AM?!?! Craziness. I bet you can’t wait to be in your own bed!
    Emilie @ Emilie Eats recently posted…Gluten-Free Vanilla Peach Cake

June 6, 2016 at 10:34 am

Finally home and sleep is moderately better! Puppy cuddles certainly help with that 🙂

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    June 5, 2016 at 1:46 pm

I haven’t been sleeping well for the past couple months either. My life is basically a mess and I’m trying to sort it out one day at a time but my daytime issues definitely follow me into my sleeping ours. I spent most of March and April waking up at the a** crack of dawn but these days I can’t seem to fall asleep and wake up after 9 even more tired than the night before. But unlike you, I switched from oatmeal to smoothie during my sleepless times because they’re just so damn easy when I’m running on fumes.
    That being said, I know I need this oatmeal in my life, because berries, so I’ll be making an exception for it next week lol
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…Rosemary & Fruit Popsicles + Introducing Ice Cream Sundays

June 6, 2016 at 10:35 am

…because berries. Berry season has arrived! Makes it totally okay that neither one of us is sleeping, right?

Lindsay
    June 5, 2016 at 2:06 pm

What does the oat flour do? Can I just add more rolled oats if I don’t have oat flour?

June 6, 2016 at 10:32 am

You could certainly replace with more oats. I just like the consistency of the oat flour. It makes it more like cake.

Alysia at Slim Sanity
    June 5, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Normally a great sleeper, and I value my 7 hours a night. Having a newborn has made sleep even more precious. Lol

June 6, 2016 at 10:31 am

hahaha TRUTH. I should be grateful I don’t have a newborn crying for me as I’m sleep-deprived. Then again, she’s pretty damn cute 😉

Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen
    June 5, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Early morning wake up times are the story of my life. Even when I’m up until 2 am like on Friday night, I still wake up at 6 am. Ugh I wish I had some tips for you girl!
    Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Homemade Hummus with Canned Chickpeas

June 6, 2016 at 10:30 am

Wahhhhhhhh why am I being tortured by the sleep devil?! I can’t even imagine being a 6:00 AM wakeup call kind of gal everyday!

Karen @ Seasonal Cravings
    June 6, 2016 at 6:36 am

Oh no, not sleeping is the worst and affects your body in so many ways. I hope that you find a way to reduce your stress and take some time for yourself. At least you can check the eating healthy box! Can’t wait to try this with some of the fresh strawberries I just picked up at the farm.
    Karen @ Seasonal Cravings recently posted…Asparagus with Bacon

June 6, 2016 at 10:29 am

haha yes, at least I’ve got the eating healthy part down 😉 Now to conquer sleep!

Beverley @ Born to Sweat
    June 6, 2016 at 11:12 am

GIRL. lets get together and talk about how we can’t sleep. I’ve been prescribed sleeping pills for the last month or so, because i wasn’t able to fall asleep until past 4 am. sooo0o0ooo that’s been fun.
    and my breakfasts have pretty much gone on the same trajectory as yours – i was an oatmeal FIEND up until last year. this baked oatmeal looks amazing tho, i gotta give it a try
    Beverley @ Born to Sweat recently posted…5 Ways to an Eco Friendly Lifestyle: A Resolution Worth Keeping

June 6, 2016 at 1:55 pm

So like meet-up in Victoria Park? Late night chillz? Cool. See you tonight.

ashley @ fit mitten kitchen
    June 6, 2016 at 11:25 am

Well this looks absolutely amazing! I love baked oatmeal. Pretty much anything baked… oatmeal, eggs, cookies… 😀

Sorry to hear you’re not sleeping well! That seriously sucks. Yoga/light stretching before bed? I have been on and off because of all of our schedule changes. I am hoping this is the week to get back on track though!
    ashley @ fit mitten kitchen recently posted…Fudgy Gluten-Free Vegan Brownie Bites [ with Among Friends Baking Mixes ]

June 6, 2016 at 1:55 pm

wahhhhh me too! 5 days at home so hopefully I can get back on track!

Dani @ Dani California Cooks
    June 6, 2016 at 6:20 pm

when I was traveling for work every week, I think I slept 8-9+ hours a night. it was like my body needed that much recovery every day!!

i haven’t had oatmeal in FOREVER. i’ve been on a eggs kick recently.
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…Volunteering at the SF-Marin Food Bank

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    June 16, 2016 at 4:08 am

All through my university years I had trouble sleeping: would be up until 1-2 am, reading trying to exhaust myself into sleeping. And when I slept it wasn’t restful or fitful, I woke up quite tired. What worked was listening to some flute meditational music, and I noticed that when I fell asleep listening to that I slept like a baby, without many dreams or movements. Then since I met Boyfriend, he relaxes me so much that I tend to fall asleep curled up next to him on the couch when we are watching a movie (completely unheard of before!).

When I wake up early I tend to have a huge appetite and craving eggs and savoury things: toast, veggies, omelette.
    Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Oriental Lentil Casserole

Britney Register
    September 25, 2016 at 2:18 pm

Is this recipe freezable?