No need to pick your favorite berry in this Triple Berry Baked Oatmeal. Swap in your top choices and toss in the oven for a healthy breakfast or brunch recipe that is gluten-free and vegan too!
I never thought it would happen, but over the past year I became a smoothie person. Oatmeal became less frequent and my mornings now start with a roaring plane engine (okay fine…it’s my blender!) and more greens than grains. If you had spoken to the oatmeal-obsessed girl that dominated 25 years of my life, I would never have believed you that my days start with a smoothie 90% of the time.
And then I stopped sleeping…and all of this changed.
For a variety of reasons I’ve been having some trouble sleeping lately. It likely has to do with the fact that I’ve slept in my own bed 4 of the past 28 sleeps. Life on the road messes with your sleep, even if you’re not dealing with much jetlag.
As a result, I’m usually up and ready to go at 5:00 AM!!!! <–unheard of from someone who doesn’t like being up before 9:00 AM.
I’ve tried reading, decreasing technology before bed and even melatonin (which only conks me out for 4 hours but leaves me wide awake in the middle of the night).
The truth is, I’m stressed and a little overwhelmed. I also have faith that this season will pass and I’ll go back to sleeping like a baby. No need to be concerned.
All’s to say is that these early morning wake-ups leave me craving a warm bowl (or plate!) of oatmeal and not a cold smoothie bowl.
Suddenly I’m right back where I started.
Fear not oatmeal, I’m back with a vengeance. That is until I start sleeping again…Print
Triple Berry Baked Oatmeal
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2 flax eggs (2 T ground flax, mixed with 6 T warm water)
- 2 cups rolled oats (GF if necessary)
- 1/2 cup oat flour (GF if necessary)*
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I use unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup sliced strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup blackberries (or blueberries – fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup crushed pecans
- coconut oil, for greasing
- Make flax eggs and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8-9 inch baking pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl combine rolled oats, oat flour and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl combine mashed bananas, non-dairy milk, and maple syrup.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir together.
- Add in berries, pecans and flax eggs until well-combined.
- Add batter to baking dish and bake, uncovered for 40 minutes (or until cooked all the way through).
- Cut into 6 slices and serve immediately.
- Top with nut butter, more maple syrup or toppings of choice.
*I grind mine in the blender but you can use store-bought
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!