breakfast gluten-free pancakes/waffles/french toast

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Waffles

July 10, 2016

Sweet and crispy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Waffles for the ultimate weekend brunch! These gluten-free and healthy waffles made from wholesome ingredients will become your new go-to breakfast recipe.People have been asking me how I manage to stay afloat while managing my non-stop travel schedule. The truth is, I don’t. Sure, I have tips and tricks that make travelling A LOT easier, but it’s those rare moments when I’m home that I actually struggle with most.

Part of surviving the on-the-road lifestyle, means accepting that life is transient. You get used to constantly being on-the-go, to hustling to get your work done and truly embracing the work-hard, play-hard attitude.

But then once it all stops and you find yourself sitting in your apartment on a Saturday morning feeling anxious that you have nothing to do, you realize that maybe this kind of lifestyle isn’t sustainable.

I’m pretty sure this is why they call it “the travel bug”.

Sweet and crispy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Waffles for the ultimate weekend brunch! These gluten-free and healthy waffles made from wholesome ingredients will become your new go-to breakfast recipe.To those who know me well, it’s not at all surprising that the thing I have the most trouble with is relaxing. I’m not a particularly “chill” person. Sure, I love a good Netflix binge but generally I prefer to be doing something, anything, even if sitting back and doing nothing is a far more productive use of my time.

But at least I’m aware of it, right?

First step is admitting you have a problem…

Sweet and crispy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Waffles for the ultimate weekend brunch! These gluten-free and healthy waffles made from wholesome ingredients will become your new go-to breakfast recipe.So on my first weekend home in 9 weeks, I whipped up my favorite Crispy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Waffles and accepted that making brunch might be the only thing I do that day.

The rest of the day was spent in bed, watching Trainwreck for the 3rd time and sleeping for about 18 hours.

I didn’t get any work done, I wasn’t exploring a new city or off on some hiking adventure. Just me, C and a surprisingly successful attempt at “chilling out”. And you know what? The world didn’t come crashing down. The internet didn’t break. Just a badass business woman learning how to relax.

Not bad…not bad at all.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Waffles

PREP TIME 10 mins
Cook Time 20 mins
Yields 4 waffles     adjust servings

1. Combine oat flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
  2. In a separate bowl combine banana, coconut oil, egg, almond milk and vanilla.
  3. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir to combine. Stir in chocolate chips. Let mixture sit for 5 mins.
  4. Heat up waffle maker and spray or brush with coconut oil.
  5. Add additional almond milk to mixture if too thick (no more than a 1/4 cup).
  6. Add a 1/3 cup of batter to your waffle maker and cook according to waffle maker instructions.
  7. Repeat until all batter is used - will make 4-5 waffles depending on size of waffle maker.
  8. Serve immediately with maple syrup, nut butter or toppings of choice.
  9. Let cool and freeze if not eating immediately.

Notes

*I make my oat flour by grinding rolled oats in the blender.

Do you struggle with slowing down? Tips for disconnecting?

Danielle
    July 10, 2016 at 9:20 am

I usually go until I crash! Haha which you know, is probably not the best method… But I’ve find if I make sure to leave 1-2 evenings free of commitments during the week, and make sure I have some time alone over the weekend (to meal prep, clean, or just relax) that makes a huge difference. Also spending time in nature! 🙂
    Danielle recently posted…26 Running & Life Lessons I Learned from my First Marathon

July 10, 2016 at 10:06 am

I literally struggled with the SAME thing today and yesterday. I just paced around the house, feeling anxious I wasn’t doing anything. I just try to tell myself to enjoy those moments because it’s when I can’t have them that I want them the most!
    Cassie recently posted…“Drink Good. Do Good.” With Naked Juice

July 11, 2016 at 10:53 am

YUP. I’m working on feeling grateful for feeling bored because when life is crazy it’s all I want!

Nikki
    July 10, 2016 at 10:49 am

Yum! These look so good, I’m making them for breakfast! Love the use of simple ingredients that I have on hand. 🙂

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
    July 10, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Yesssss! Chocolate chip pancakes were always my favorite so chocolate chip waffes sound AMAZING!
    Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted…Almond Butter Peach Toast

candace
    July 10, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Would this work as muffins or pancakes? Broke my waffle make 🙁

Kelly @ Eat the Gains
    July 11, 2016 at 6:56 am

I used to enjoy doing nothing from time to time. But now with blogging (even for fun), I constantly feel like I have to be doing something. I don’t know the last time I just binged on TV or sat at home without my laptop in front of me haha.
    Kelly @ Eat the Gains recently posted…Comment on My June Whole30 Final Recap by Kelly

July 11, 2016 at 9:51 am

I hear ya! When you basically take on another full-time job like blogging, it leaves little room for relaxation!

Julia Mueller
    July 11, 2016 at 11:42 am

Man oh man, it sounds like you’ve been one busy bee! I do love travelling, but I can’t imagine being away from home 9 weekends in a row! These waffles are definitely the perfect welcome-home-relaxation breakfast. I need to make them asap!
    Julia Mueller recently posted…Mexican Street Corn Chipotle Hummus + Giveaway

amanda paa
    July 11, 2016 at 11:50 am

thanks for sharing your struggles. i’ve been feeling some of this lately as well, and the fact that it always seems so wonderful to travel – which it is! – but it also comes with a lot of work and effort, rushed emotions, and deep thoughts.
    xo
    amanda paa recently posted…Racy Strawberry French 75 Cocktail

Hillary
    July 11, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Um, yummm! Totally need to make these this weekend. Crispy (gluten-free) waffles, the best!

July 12, 2016 at 8:46 am

So hard to master, but so worth it! Made them again this weekend and I’m actually so so in love!

Dani @ Dani California Cooks
    July 11, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Nate and I once binge watched like a whole season of GoT one Saturday and ordered in food and it was awesome. We’re way too hard on ourselves to always be checking off to do lists! I’ve become OK with total lazy days, even though they are few and far between
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…Summer of CARBS!

July 12, 2016 at 8:47 am

Back in the day we did seasons 1 and 2 of GoT in one weekend. Ahhhhh I miss the days when I could chill like that!

Nichole
    July 12, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Yes!!! These came out at the perfect time as I have been craving waffles for weeks now but have been holding out on finding the perfect recipe. And this was definitely it! I haven’t tried using oat flour before and had zero problems with it in these waffles. Will for sure be saving this and making it again. Not going to lie my mom and I actually had these for supper today with homemade almond butter, maple syrup, and turkey bacon. There’s nothing like breakfast for lunch!

Brooke
    August 7, 2016 at 1:38 am

Where did you get your waffle iron?? I have been searching high and low for one that makes waffles like that!

August 9, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Amazon, a few years ago! I don’t know if they still sell this one but they have a pretty big selection on there!

Ashley
    March 16, 2017 at 2:35 pm

I’ve made these waffles 3 times now for my 2 year old and I, and I have to tell you- they are DELICIOUS! The last 2 times I added an extra banana and about 1/2c of additional almond milk and they were perfect. We are all about healthy AND yummy breakfasts and these definitely fit the bill. I also love that I can sit him on the island and he can help me to mix all of the ingredients! Thanks so much for sharing and I look forward to checking out more of your recipes!

Laura
    April 30, 2017 at 10:28 pm

Do you happen to have calorie calculations for these waffles?

Wendy
    May 4, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Any idea how many calories these are? I just made these tonight. Delicious!

Shweta
    July 3, 2017 at 7:01 am

Hey
    Thank you for all the amazing recipes. My favourite is The Fluffiest Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pancakes. So good.
    I recently purchased a waffle maker and really want to try this recipe.
    Is it possible to substitute the 2 tbps coconut flour with 2 tbsp oat flour?
    Thank you!!

Elaine
    October 20, 2017 at 2:23 pm

Chocolate chips in waffles are my favorite. It is one of my recipes now. I also like the composition you have in the recipe’s photo – I can see how much fun you had making it. Great job!