Sweet and crispy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Waffles for the ultimate weekend brunch! These gluten-free and healthy waffles made from wholesome ingredients like oat flour and bananas will become your new go-to breakfast recipe.
If I had to pick a favorite meal it’d probably be breakfast or brunch. I love all of the different breakfast food options but would go sweet over savory most days. It’s probably why I have so many pancake, waffle and french toast recipes on my blog! This waffle recipe is super simple and made with ingredients you likely already have on hand. Never worked with oat flour before? Fear not! I’m teaching you how to make it below.
If you don’t own a waffle maker, 2020 just might be your year. Sure, pancakes are easier but a crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside waffle? That can’t be beat. In the last few months our waffle maker hasn’t seen in the light of day, but in the move I dusted the old thing off and gave it a whirl. As always, these oatmeal chocolate chip waffles never fail me. With a side of crispy oven baked bacon and some seasonal fruit, ya can’t go wrong! Let’s dig in…
Ingredients For This Recipe:
- oat flour
- coconut flour
- 1 ripe banana
- coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- almond milk – I prefer unsweetened
- vanilla extract
- chocolate chips – I love the Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate chips because they’re allergen friendly.
- baking powder
- sea salt
How to Make Oat Flour
This oatmeal waffle recipe uses 2 cups of oat flour. You can certainly purchase store-bought oat flour but I’m going to encourage you to make oat flour at home. It’s honestly sooooo easy and cheaper than store-bought. All you need is roughly two cups of rolled oats. You can use regular rolled oats or quick-cooking rolled oats. Just don’t use steel-cut oats! <–seriously, it will take forever to grind!
Put your rolled oats into a blender and blend on high for about 30 seconds. Pause and scrape the sides as needed but it should grind together into a powder consistency in 30-60 seconds. Once ground just continue on with the recipe as listed below.
Tips for Making Perfect Waffles
In my opinion, the perfect waffles are crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside with just a hint of sweetness…then drenched in maple syrup of course! Here are some tips for making these oatmeal chocolate chip waffles:
- Make your own oat flour! Follow the directions above. I find it leads to a better consistency then store-bought oat flour
- Don’t forget the coconut flour! It’s important for helping the waffles to crisp up. But pleaaaaase don’t substitute the oat flour for coconut flour. The recipe will not work!
- Don’t forget the banana- It helps add sweetness without adding sugar
- Thin it out! If your batter is too thick add some almond milk to thin it out
Keep reading for the recipe below…Print
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Waffles
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-5 waffles 1x
- 2 cups oat flour*
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (plus more for waffle maker)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (plus more as it thickens)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips)
- Combine oat flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine banana, coconut oil, egg, almond milk and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir to combine. Stir in chocolate chips. Let mixture sit for 5 mins.
- Heat up waffle maker and spray or brush with coconut oil.
- Add additional almond milk to mixture if too thick (no more than a 1/4 cup).
- Add a 1/3 cup of batter to your waffle maker and cook according to waffle maker instructions.
- Repeat until all batter is used – will make 4-5 waffles depending on size of waffle maker.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup, nut butter or toppings of choice.
- Let cool and freeze if not eating immediately.
*See above for how to make oat flour at home
Like this recipe? Check out some of these recipes:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!